• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:08 PM

From the UTA website:  The Worth Theater just before it was demolished

http://library.uta.e...de7f1012806.jpg

What a shame this is not with us - none of Fort Worth's grand theaters still exist.  And look - it was in beautiful condition.  No restoration necessary.  Compare this to the ugly concrete square that replaced it.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#2 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

Here's a picture of a stairwell in the theater:

http://library.uta.e...702f680fff4.jpg

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

Oh my god, that is just stunning. I had no idea the theater was so beautiful. The quality of those photos is fantastic to. Thanks for sharing. 

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

Of the big three theaters on West 7th Street, it was the largest and the most beautiful.  The hotel and theater complex was the first building to be imploded in the city.  That was in 1972, when I was a freshman in high school.  I believe that the Fort Worth Club purchased the property when both the hotel and the theater were in operation, then gave them a little time to close and move out, and then they demolished the structure to expand their operations. 

#5 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:50 PM

Wow, I didn't realize Fort Worth had a theater like this before Bass Hall.

-Dylan

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:21 AM

We actually had four large theaters when I was a kid.  Two were originally built as vaudeville houses.  They were the Byers/Greenwall Opera House (1908) with 1,436 seats, and the Majestic Theater (1911) with 1,356 seats.  The Byers/Greenwall Opera House later became the Palace Theater.  The Worth Theater was the largest and was built in 1928.  It had 2,484 seats.  The Hollywood Theater opened in 1929 and had 1,700 seats.  The Hollywood is partially remaining and all of the other buildings have been demolished. 

For location purposes, the Palace was on the northwest corner of E. 7th and Commerce and it was demolished in 1978 to build 777 Main Street.  With that demolition, we also lost the Aviation Building.  The Worth Theater was located on the northeast corner of 7th and Taylor and it was demolished in 1972 to build the Fort Worth Club Tower.  The Hollywood still remains inside the Historic Electric Building at 410 W. 7th Street.  The Majestic Theater was on the east side Commerce, just south of the old Greyhound Bus Terminal.  The nearest cross street would have been 10th.  The building was one of the last to be demolished for the Convention Center in 1965.

#7 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

C'mon people get with it. The highest use for historic abandoned buildings in Fort Worth is whatever their current owner says it is. Which means probably a parking lot. Letting the structure deteriorate and self-destruct is also acceptable. Also, banks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users