142 replies to this topic

#51 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:42 AM

I do agree that Fort Worth will pay through the nose at taxpayers expense to keep AA here. That's what it has done everytime one of the few corporations here threatens to move or wants a new building. Yes, it would be great if AA stays, but as a taxpayer, I'm not keen on huge incentives to keep a company from moving ten or thirty miles down the freeway. It's as if local companies know that Fort Worth is so jealous of Dallas' corporate clout that just mentioning a move east gets money thrown at you. I actually thought it was great that Dallas said no to the cowboys and it was a win for Dallas taxpayers. And last I checked, development is happening in the downtown Dallas area without the stadium. Fort Worth can't even say no to a measly tv station. Fort Worth companies are simply in a great position, just a mere mention of a move east tightens the vice where they have the city's you-know-whats.

#52 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:10 AM

.....Yes, it would be great if AA stays, but as a taxpayer, I'm not keen on huge incentives to keep a company from moving ten or thirty miles down the freeway. It's as if local companies know that Fort Worth is so jealous of Dallas' corporate clout that just mentioning a move east gets money thrown at you..... And last I checked, development is happening in the downtown Dallas area without the stadium. Fort Worth can't even say no to a measly tv station. Fort Worth companies are simply in a great position, just a mere mention of a move east tightens the vice where they have the city's you-know-whats.

The usual of course has happened - the AMR 'trial balloon"  has morphed into the belief that Fort Worth is hopelessly inept at recruiting business and is a boob; and that Dallas is light years ahead of us.  Alliance ought to make you think again about that viewpoint. Fort Worth as being a backwater ought to be dispelled; and so it shall be.  Our economy is not a Wall Street economy it is a production economy and a cultural economy; the sort of economy that helps to fuel Wall Street.

You are obviously familiar with the taxpayers welfare (state/local) given to Toyota to relocate to Plano(Dallas) or State Farm Insurance to Richardson (Dallas). But do you know this and other stories like it:

http://bizbeatblog.d...wn-dallas.html/

#53 Dallastar

Dallastar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

AMR will extract a hefty price; but Fort Worth will come through. End.

C. Doug Parker (AMR) does indeed knows exactly what he is doing - testing the waters with a trial balloon.  

But as outlined in #A and #B,  I believe that Fort Worth is sitting in the best position.

I agree that if AMR stays it will be with a hefty price, but I do believe Ft. Worth sits in the best position.  This is nothing personal its all about business.  In my own personal opinion I do believe Dallas will make a pitch but I believe the "burbs" (Plano, Richardson, Frisco, Prosper, Coppell) are the real threats.

#54 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:03 PM

.....Yes, it would be great if AA stays, but as a taxpayer, I'm not keen on huge incentives to keep a company from moving ten or thirty miles down the freeway. It's as if local companies know that Fort Worth is so jealous of Dallas' corporate clout that just mentioning a move east gets money thrown at you..... And last I checked, development is happening in the downtown Dallas area without the stadium. Fort Worth can't even say no to a measly tv station. Fort Worth companies are simply in a great position, just a mere mention of a move east tightens the vice where they have the city's you-know-whats.

The usual of course has happened - the AMR 'trial balloon"  has morphed into the belief that Fort Worth is hopelessly inept at recruiting business and is a boob; and that Dallas is light years ahead of us.  Alliance ought to make you think again about that viewpoint. Fort Worth as being a backwater ought to be dispelled; and so it shall be.  Our economy is not a Wall Street economy it is a production economy and a cultural economy; the sort of economy that helps to fuel Wall Street.

You are obviously familiar with the taxpayers welfare (state/local) given to Toyota to relocate to Plano(Dallas) or State Farm Insurance to Richardson (Dallas). But do you know this and other stories like it:

http://bizbeatblog.d...wn-dallas.html/

Yes I'm very aware of those two examples. However, I do think there is a huge difference in offering incentives to LURE new companies to your city and constantly ponying up money to keep a local company from making a 30 mile move.

#55 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

Kepping American in Fort Worth would be better than losing them to another city who is willing to pay for them.

-Dylan

#56 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

Yes I'm very aware of those two examples. However, I do think there is a huge difference in offering incentives to LURE new companies to your city and constantly ponying up money to keep a local company from making a 30 mile move.

Jealousy? I recently listened into a Dallas City Council session where there were councilmen praising Downtown Fort Worth, the suggestion being that Fort Worth was setting the standard for revitalizing its core. 

What is the huge difference?; luring is luring.  Who are the local companies that Fort Worth paid not to relocate?

Are you also possibly aware of this? - the poster child of coolness, Austin, Texas gets down in the dirt too:

http://www.sdcaustin...7816442537.html

And this year, Whole Foods annouced that it will be building in Dowtown Austin, with incentives of course.

#57 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:50 PM

Who are the local companies that Fort Worth paid not to relocate?

Bell Helicopter and RadioShack received tax breaks to keep their headquarters in Fort Worth: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/11/13/129537/commentary-bell-helicopter-wants.html 

#58 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

There are two huge campus capable locations in Irving, nested inside the DFW traffic loops that would make any other choice difficult, "excluding the cost of the land."

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#59 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:29 PM

Centreport also has room for a giant, sprawling HQ.

-Dylan

#60 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:49 PM

I love how there's that perfect plot of land to to the Northwest of the current HQ... but it has two gas pads smack in the middle of it.

#61 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, those gas pads are real annoying. Still plenty of land to build around them, though.

-Dylan

#62 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:04 AM

Would you want to have your CEO and all your senior management working day in and day out throwing distance from a live explosive? Even after the wells have been depleted there is the possibility of poisonous gas leaks and by code nothing can be built on top of a hole down to Middle Earth. Surface parking can probably be built safely around a decommissioned well, or parklands, but as long as the well is producing (next 20 - 50 years by current estimates) the area surrounding the well head needs to be kept clear so emergency vehicles can maneuver and operate in the event of a catastrophe. When the production slows down the operating companies are going to sell the sites to shell companies that will go bankrupt and then no one will monitor and service the rusting remains. Taxpayers will have to pick up the pieces at that point.

Annoying is a vast understatement. Again, is this a good place for the physical head of a corporation? Is it a good place for any large group of people to be around on a regular and recurring basis? 

#63 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

The existing Centerport structures have had issues with black mold, I have the antibodies in my blood to prove it, they're old and expensive to maintain. IF Fort Worth can manage to hang on to American, they’ll have a lot of options to choose from, but I seriously doubt, anywhere downtown Fort Worth would be in the top 5 (unless) they decide to expand, extend, service into Meacham.

Las Colinas has proven themselves very adept at luring large corporations, they also provide a number of potential locations that are much closer logistically to DFW. If Irving wasn’t enough to get the city of Fort Worth shaking in their boots, they have Dallas bouncing on deck with baited breath, that would love nothing more than to claim the title of home to two major airlines.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#64 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

I am very curious now what this "Sky" thing is ? At last count 5 earthquakes last 4 days around the Texas stadium site ?

#65 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

I am very curious now what this "Sky" thing is ? At last count 5 earthquakes last 4 days around the Texas stadium site ?

#66 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:11 PM

There current location is already close to those gas pads. There are a couple of other options:

The land immediately to the west of their current HQ on Trinity Blvd - has protection from an apartment complex. :)

The land west of their training center on American Blvd - FAA Blvd would need to be extended past 360 for convenient airport access.

-Dylan

#67 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:20 AM

There are a couple of other options:

The land west of their training center on American Blvd - FAA Blvd would need to be extended past 360 for convenient airport access.

Maybe the city could drop the "F" from FAA Blvd to entice them to build there.

#68 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:44 AM

I think they're going to have 3 to 5 primary concerns with a new HDQ.

1. How much money they can save immediately.
  2. How much money they can save long term.
  3. How nice of a facility they can move into or build.
  4. Ease of transit to and from DFW; all executive staff can fly anywhere, anytime they want, generally first class, so when you have this perk your family evolves around it and proximity to the airport becomes as, if not more, important than proximity to schools, shopping, home. This is due to the fact that you park at work and take the 7x365 shuttle to the airport.
  5. Proximity and ease of transit to other areas the executive staff deem necessary to do business and function as "a member of the executive staff," like golf courses and country clubs, hotels, recreation activities, the arts, high end / exclusive residential areas, schools for those residential areas, reasonable taxes.

#69 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:19 PM

Centerport is already located within Fort Worth, there is no incentive for them to move somewhere else "inside" Fort Worth....With the existing headquarters in Fort Worth's tax base for decades, Irving's potential tax incentives must be awfully enticing right about now.

What would prevent Fort Worth from providing tax incentives? Why would American rather pay Irving taxes than Fort Worth taxes?

Would you want to have your CEO and all your senior management working day in and day out throwing distance from a live explosive? ....

Annoying is a vast understatement. Again, is this a good place for the physical head of a corporation? Is it a good place for any large group of people to be around on a regular and recurring basis? 

I think they're going to have 3 to 5 primary concerns with a new HDQ.......

(The Perks)

Holy Cow!!! Fort Worth is now littered with a potential superfund site; and this added upon the popularly held condemnation that Fort Worth is "Bumpkinsville".  Would be smart if we all just pulled up stakes and relocated.

Yes, People Are Strange you stated the obvious.  Not only did you state it, but most assuredly, this is obvious - Fort Worth is already in negotiations with AAG for the time when and if it comes for a new HQ.  I have confidence in our city, the quality of life and the "get it done" spirit of Fort Worth.

So much has been written about potential incentives from elsewhere, yet not one credible offer has yet to be publicly made to AAG; only a media driven speculation drumming up a the possibility of an AAG relocation outside of Fort Worth while hardly mentioning the other possibilities.   CEO Parker is on the record as saying that the HQ issue is not an immediate concern of his, and instead, AAG is now focusing on replacement of old equipment with new equipment; and of course, with its ongoing labor concerns.

As the ‘relocate bandwagon” has gained momentum, something should be reminded - that any decision about AAG HQ will require it to weigh the unknown incentives against the known disincentives; and oh yes,  there are always disincentives.  As stated by CEO Parker, the alternatives when the time comes are to relocate, to remodel or to do nothing which suggests to me that AAG is being very deliberate and strategic.

Debating about schools, cultural amenities, traffic, etc. (any of which would certainly eliminates Irving)  is far down the list of factors in this decision and do not substitute for the highest priority of an airline company to be near or at the airport.

I will repeat for the record what I believe to be the leading locations for AAG:

Fort Worth (Centerport); the future DFW Terminal F complex; Downtown Fort Worth and then Dallas.  

If the DFW Terminal F is the eventual location, then Dallas can finally lay some legitimate claim to AAG; and maybe it may decide to give it some Love too.

#70 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

All of DFW's terminals are inside Tarrant County, the only winning option for Dallas would be Irving locations, which have really deep pockets. Either way you cut it, it's going to cost Fort Worth a pretty penny either, win or lose.

What many seem to miss is there will be no net add in the jobs category for Fort Worth, they're going to have pay to keep par, which is why other cites may be willing to pay more for the net adds in jobs.

...for nearly every reason everyone else has mentioned on this thread is why downtown Fort Worth would not be an option, on the best off hour traffic days the commute alone would kill the deal, then you factor in the never ending construction, the Hurst Traffic Revenue Department, would leave the only options open close in to the airport. I've lived and worked at Centerport, I live in downtown Fort Worth and I've lived and worked in Downtown Fort Worth, and I live and work in Las Colinas, I "sometimes" work in Dallas. Living and working within a 5 mile radius of DFW just makes sense.

The same reason DFW is where it is, will be the same reasons the new HDQ will be close to DFW.

#71 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:14 PM

All of DFW's terminals are inside Tarrant County, the only winning option for Dallas would be Irving locations, which have really deep pockets....What many seem to miss is there will be no net add in the jobs category for Fort Worth......for nearly every reason everyone else has mentioned on this thread is why downtown Fort Worth would not be an option, on the best off hour traffic days the commute alone would kill the deal, then you factor in the never ending construction, the Hurst Traffic Revenue Department

Terminal F, being that it would within Tarrant County, is why I believe Fort Worth would not object to a DFW location.

Jobs lost are just as significant as jobs netted; tax receipts are significant too.  AAG is one of those global trademarks that any city would desire to have at the top of its list of corporate domiciles.  Fort Worth is well aware of what is at stake.

Traffic is a Metroplex issue, not merely Fort Worth's alone.  Whereas, the North Trinity Express is nearing or is now completed, the portion of SH183 to be rebuilt through Irving from DFW to I-35E is scheduled to start in 2015.

Much has been said about the attributes that Irving offers.  Yet, Irving, deep pockets notwithstanding, has a 0-3 record against Arlington, Dallas and Frisco. 

The nature of the incentives that Fort Worth will be offering is not yet known. It could be that Fort Worth will offer Downtown and Centerport; either would be an attractive location of and in their own way. 

The bottom line is that Fort Worth will be content with either of three choices.

#72 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

The only real winner in this equation is going to be the airline, so what ever city does wind up winning the bid for their HDQ: Careful what you wish for!

#73 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

My concept for an Upper Westside headquarters. 

10849826_10204304155437470_5992418488804

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#74 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

....CEO Parker is on the record as saying that the HQ issue is not an immediate concern of his, and instead, AAG is now focusing on replacement of old equipment with new equipment; and of course, with its ongoing labor concerns.

American Airlines says it will spend more than $2 billion to make its planes more pleasant for passengers, the latest salvo in a competition among carriers to attract high-paying frequent fliers....American Airlines Group Inc. said Monday that it will invest in lie-flat seats, Wi-Fi service on international flights, more entertainment offerings and a refresh of its airport lounges around the world.......Most of the upgrades are aimed at high-spending fliers including business travelers who pay among the highest fares. Delta and United will overhaul their frequent-flier programs early next year to better reward big spenders; American has so far resisted. - Fort Worth Business Press (reprinted exerts)

At the risk of repeating myself, I would say that this is exactly what I anticipated AAG to do in my earlier posts stating that AAG will be focusing more and more on its corporate accounts, high dollar passengers and international business.

To this end, new headquarters still do not appear on the immediate horizon. 

#75 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:01 AM

Dallas Business Journal reports that American is reconfiguring its headquarters in Fort Worth and isn't looking to move anytime soon.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2015/03/25/exclusive-american-airlines-puts-hq-search-on-hold.html 

#76 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

Dallas Business Journal reports that American is reconfiguring its headquarters in Fort Worth and isn't looking to move....

What part of "No" is there that the Dallas media cannot understand?

#77 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

Looks like they are staying put.

http://m.bizjournals...?ana=twt&r=full

#78 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

#79 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:10 PM

They better. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#80 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:56 AM

Breaking news from the Star-Telegram: American to build new headquarters in Fort Worth

The Fort Worth-based carrier said it will demolish the one-time Sabre Holdings headquarters building on the northeast northwest corner of Trinity Boulevard and Highway 360 and construct four buildings on the 41-acre site. American did not disclose the cost of the project but said the new buildings will house about 5,000 employees.

It expects to break ground on the new buildings next spring and move into the new facilities in late summer or early fall of 2018.

(Edited to reflect correction to article. That corner of the intersection makes more sense.)

Edited by elpingüino, 22 October 2015 - 11:24 AM.

#81 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

Well, well - there goes my crazy theory for building AA new headquarters in Terminal F.

Anyway, I hope everyone is happy; the Mayor is. :)

#82 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

I'm thrilled!

-Dylan

#83 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:04 AM

This is great news for Fort Worth!  It's also a relief for our city, particularly so, in the wake of the D.R. Horton departure.

#84 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:11 PM

I'm very pleased to hear that they are staying.

#85 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

AA is asking for $21+million in tax incentives for new headquarters:

http://www.star-tele...le42590916.html

#86 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

Dallas City Council is questioning the AA headquarters deal.  Says the value is too low, accessibility issues and 99 year lease.  Put off voting out of committee and this delays full council vote.

Dallas is trying to still mess this up.

#87 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:51 PM

So admittedly Dallas does have a lot going for it, but why go after a corporation which is really dear to Fort Worth. It is as if Dallas (media, corporate raiders) will not be satisfied until Fort Worth capitulates.

Besides this being a poorly thought through rumor, it suggests that Fort Worth is a place that corporations generally find to be a backwater.  I cannot help but to think that the dmn knew that their article will be received by the Fort Worth with an icy shrug.  Envy is a sign of ones own self doubts.

Finally, it is about time yall identify what is Dallas' character, the something that makes one go google-eyed for.

Dallas City Council is questioning the AA headquarters deal.  Says the value is too low, accessibility issues and 99 year lease.  Put off voting out of committee and this delays full council vote.

Well Dallas has finally stop pretending to be our good neighbor.

#88 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:58 PM

Fort Worth would have done the same thing if it was Dallas seeking the airport board's approval. At least I hope so. This type of deal deserves plenty of scrutiny.

#89 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:31 PM

Fort Worth would have done the same thing if it was Dallas seeking the airport board's approval. At least I hope so. This type of deal deserves plenty of scrutiny.

I disagree. 

You would be challenged to find an instance where Fort Worth or Tarrant County Media openly enticed or attempted to seduce one of Dallas' legacy companies to relocate to Fort Worth.  In fact, Fort Worth takes more of a regional approach to North Texas than does Dallas for whom it generally sees itself as the center of attention. 

Are there other projects at "DFW" that deserved the type of scrutiny that you think that this one does? Was Verizon one of those?

It seems to me that Dallas is using its power to consent as a means to camouflage a case of sour grapes.

#90 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:06 PM

The facility is going on airport land. If it were in the city limits of Irving, Euless, or Grapevine, Dallas and FW would both be well within their rights to scrutinize the deal. No airport land resides within Dallas so that was poor wording on my part.

#91 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

When did that land south of 183 become DFW Airport property?

-Dylan

#92 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

I wasn't aware that any of the airport property was south of 183 until I read this in the above linked article:

"Last week, the DFW Airport board approved a lease extension for American Airlines related to its headquarters plans. The lease on the airport-owned property, initiated in 1978, was extended to 2114 from its original expiration of 2043. As part of the deal, the airline will make a $10 million lump-sum payment to the airport."

#93 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:39 PM

I admit that I don't fully understand or that I cannot adequately decipher these sort of deals;  but finding what appears to be a similar deal,  maybe there is a chance that what is below will reveal some hypocrisy on the part of DCC.

http://southwest.inv...?s=43&item=1432

#94 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:47 AM

I got curious and a little bit of googling produced this https://www.dfwairpo...t/p2_139331.jpg which shows all of the airport property and it's use.

This is the website it comes from https://www.dfwairpo...eplan/index.php

#95 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:54 AM

Great find. I was looking for something like that last night and kept striking out.

#96 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Yes, interesting Land Use Plan (using Aerial photo dated January 2014).  Click the map to zoom in to read the tiny print. 

Of particular note HIGH SPEED RAIL black line starting at South end DFW adjacent to the Soil Stock Pile area.  Appears that HIGH SPEED RAIL is in their Land Use Plan Jan 2014.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#97 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:50 AM

Former HQ building to be imploded Friday, new HQ to start construction this summer.

http://www.bizjourna...uilding-to.html

#98 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

That building was the home of Sabre after American (AMR) moved across the highway to the concrete bunkers. When Sabre was spun off it moved out to Solana if I remember correctly. I never could understand what was so bad about the old building; it was pretty large and seemed to blend in very well with the forest-like surroundings. Perhaps the layout was not conducive to the "open-office" environment favored by companies now (cubicles, shared work-spaces, more minions per square foot) or maybe the design was not energy efficient (high surface area-to-volume ratio). Either way, sorry to see it go, and interested to see what the plans for the new HQ look like.

Here is a link to an article that says the old building will be demolished stick-by-stick in order to preserve as much of the surrounding woods as possible. I suppose that idea went out the window... with free food in economy class.

http://www.star-tele...le50358335.html

#99 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

If you can implode a 30 story building surrounded by freshly restored historic buildings right across the street with little or no damage, certainly you can implode a few 4 story buildings and protect many of the surrounding trees.

Edit: Looking at Google Earth, I noticed that the courtyards between those buildings are packed full of trees.  I can see the challenge in saving those, but it's unlikely those would make it through the construction process unless they built right on the old footprints.  Even then, the trees would suffer some damage.

#100 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

Gensler will be designed four seven-story buildings where the imploded building was, plans to start Fall next year

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Centreport

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users