- - - - -

Demolition of the Landmark Tower (380 ft., 420 with clock)

• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

#101 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

For views, I'll look into that parking garage on H-Street.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#102 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:48 PM

Yeah, either we need to have a get-together or somebody needs to recommend a place that would be good for shooting the implosion. I have a friend or two who wouldn't mind getting up early on a saturday morning to see a building implode, I mean, how often do you get to see that in your life (if you're not in the implosion business, of course)?

#103 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:51 PM

I'll definitely find a way to watch this. I'll have to be at work around 8:30 or 9:00, so hopefully it will go off on time.

#104 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

First of all, I plan to publish these pictures on the web. Therefore, I won't be on private property unless I'm either invited, or I get permission to be there. I would love to get the entire building in the photographs, but due to other tall buildings within the no admittance zone, it's going to be hard to find a place on the ground that allows the full view. I also would prefer not to be shooting into the sun. I'm afraid all of The Tower residents will have problems with the sunlight. I'm also not real sure if there is a complete unobstructed view of the building from any floor in The Tower. I always remember the Petroleum Building being in the way. I hear that the command center will be in Federal Plaza, but I think that is a no photography zone, so I'm not sure the public will be allowed to take pictures from that location. It will have an unobstructed view of the entire building and people there will not be looking directly into the rising sun.

Jonny, you ask how often do you see an implosion live? I think I've witnessed 8 during the course of 34 years. I did miss the implosion of the smokestacks at the TXU Power Plant.

#105 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:24 PM

I wont dispute that the tower is unattractive and wore out, but I still hesitate that its going down. Anyone can tell by my icon and signature that I'm the tower's biggest fan lol. Wouldn't it be ironic that i buy a raffle ticket and I end up the winner that pushes the button? I guess if anyone should bring it down, it should be me. glare.gif

#106 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Feb 9 2006, 01:06 AM) View Post

Therefore, I won't be on private property unless I'm either invited, or I get permission to be there.

I'm not sure how you would get permision, but I've got a nearly unobstructed view from the 39th floor of Burnett Plaza. The Fort Worth Club blocks my view of the North side of the bottom 6 floors. I would imagine from the roof of Burnett Plaza you could get a pretty good shot.

#107 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:22 AM

I have a great view from the south side of the Tower, but John's right (as usual) about the sun being almost directly in line with the building, so it's not so great for photography. I'll watch from my window or balcony, and look at other people's photos/videos.

#108 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Feb 9 2006, 08:09 AM) View Post

I'm not sure how you would get permision, but I've got a nearly unobstructed view from the 39th floor of Burnett Plaza. The Fort Worth Club blocks my view of the North side of the bottom 6 floors. I would imagine from the roof of Burnett Plaza you could get a pretty good shot.

I thought about this, too. I have a small view from the 14th floor of Burnett Plaza, but I figure from the roof the view would be great.

--

Kara B.

#109 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:56 PM

Unless you ar "MR. MAINETENANCE Guy" at Burnett, there is nooooo way the mgmt. there is gonna let "x" amount of people up on that roof. Maybe a professional photographer. Does anyone have access to a small helicopter for photo taking (Magnum PI style). Perhaps we could land on top of a building, take some quick pic's, and then get the heck out of... COWTOWN. biggrin.gif

Let's move on this, and get THE BEST LIVE picture possible. Time lapse, video, or still series picture. MUST post it on the FW FORUM ASAP! Group effort and group glory.

"Yahhhh, yeahhhh, USA, USA, USA !!!" huh.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#110 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:34 AM

Bob Ray Sanders of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram has a story on the demolition in today's paper. Below is a link.

http://www.dfw.com/m...rs/13877187.htm

#111 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Feb 8 2006, 03:46 PM) View Post

IMPLOSION BASH! Anyone? Anyone?

March 18th.Hmmm?

Just in time for our quarterly BMOC event. Hee hee. biggrin.gif

All-nighter is All GOOOOD.

This is killing me!! I have a project I can't get out of that weekend frown.gif ; they need to delay the big blow-up (blow-in?) until the next weekend; then we could have the BMOC with once in a lifetime entertainment!! Unless y'all decide to meet without me cry.gif

#112 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:36 AM

Hey I'm all for the big bash! I love that building and by God i will be there to witness it's passing! cry.gif
To be forever reunited with a working, fully luminated rotating clock!
huh.gif

ooooookay! I think it just gor corny! newlaugh.gif

But in other news.......

Anybody got a larger copy of this pic? I sure would like one!
IPB Image

#113 jatherton

jatherton

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:18 PM

I'm sure Star-Telegram photo sales could help you. I don't know what they charge, but their number is on 2A of the paper in the fine print under the lotto numbers.

There is a lot of interest in this photo. Some of it can be made out in the version you have posted.

In the photo the Federal building is under construction in the mid-foreground. The latest layer of hideousness is going up atop the SBC building. I guess it was the AT&T building then. The corner of the Star-Telegram that is visible reveals the vertical-reading electric sign on the corner of the building, and the porch-like contraption that's on the corner of the building these days is not present. East across Taylor Street from the S-T, the Worth Hotel still stands.

Above and around the Electric Company building visible just this side of the courthouse are Striplings, Monnigs, and, I believe, Leonard's. Big Fort Worth retailers, the last of which seems to be sputtering to oblivion.

City hall is not present, but the old deco library is.

The photo is dated April 8, 1965.

Because of color positions and such, the photo ran in the paper in black and white. The original is in color.

#114 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(johnlp @ Feb 15 2006, 10:36 AM) View Post

Hey I'm all for the big bash! I love that building and by God i will be there to witness it's passing! cry.gif
To be forever reunited with a working, fully luminated rotating clock!
huh.gif

ooooookay! I think it just gor corny! newlaugh.gif

But in other news.......

Anybody got a larger copy of this pic? I sure would like one!
IPB Image

johnlp,
The Fort Worth Public Library downtown is a great resource for old photos like this. In the basement they have thousands of old photos cataloged. Of course I don't know if they have this exact one but I'm sure there are many others like it. I have about 30 framed old black and whites of downtown which span probably at least 100 years. I love them and guests enjoy them. So try the library.

#115 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

Out taking pics today of Landmark Tower, I ran across a friendly man observing the work who has some sort of association with XTO. He's not an employee, but apparently works with them at a fairly high level. Chatting with him, he went over the plans for the demolition process, how the charges would bring the building down in a certain way, the purpose of the cables being wrapped around the exposed base (you can see them from 7th with the red tags hanging from them - if I recall, he said they're designed to contain the base during implosion; anybody know more about that?), plans for containing the debris and the aluminum panels, etc.

He told me that there were plans for a new building on the site. When I described the talk of the infamous 50-story building, he seemed to think that was a little bigger than the reality. From what he said, a 20-ish story tower with a (separate?) parking garage is what was in the works. He didn't know a time frame specifically, and didn't have all that many details on the building. Just that he seemed fairly certain that there would be a building there again.

Now, I don't know the guy. He seemed nice enough, but you never can tell if this was just as speculative as the 50-story talk was, so take it with a grain of salt. From his talk, though, he seemed to be pretty sure of a new building.

--

Kara B.

#116 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Feb 15 2006, 04:59 PM) View Post

Out taking pics today of Landmark Tower, I ran across a friendly man observing the work who has some sort of association with XTO. He's not an employee, but apparently works with them at a fairly high level. Chatting with him, he went over the plans for the demolition process, how the charges would bring the building down in a certain way, the purpose of the cables being wrapped around the exposed base (you can see them from 7th with the red tags hanging from them - if I recall, he said they're designed to contain the base during implosion; anybody know more about that?), plans for containing the debris and the aluminum panels, etc.

He told me that there were plans for a new building on the site. When I described the talk of the infamous 50-story building, he seemed to think that was a little bigger than the reality. From what he said, a 20-ish story tower with a (separate?) parking garage is what was in the works. He didn't know a time frame specifically, and didn't have all that many details on the building. Just that he seemed fairly certain that there would be a building there again.

Now, I don't know the guy. He seemed nice enough, but you never can tell if this was just as speculative as the 50-story talk was, so take it with a grain of salt. From his talk, though, he seemed to be pretty sure of a new building.

I'd rather they just do nothing than build what this guy is suggesting.
frown.gif

#117 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:46 PM

You're right. To hell with economics, build something a hundred stories tall with a 500 foot spire on top of it. I don't care if it sits empty because no one can afford to lease the space. An empty tower sticking out like a sore thumbs beats a nice looking mid-rise any day of the week.

#118 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Feb 15 2006, 07:46 PM) View Post

You're right. To hell with economics, build something a hundred stories tall with a 500 foot spire on top of it. I don't care if it sits empty because no one can afford to lease the space. An empty tower sticking out like a sore thumbs beats a nice looking mid-rise any day of the week.

Well, who can argue with that logic!

#119 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:29 PM

Right On! cool.gif

#120 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(JKC @ Feb 15 2006, 08:59 PM) View Post

Sarcasm sure is fun, huh?

#121 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Feb 15 2006, 05:34 AM) View Post

Bob Ray Sanders of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram has a story on the demolition in today's paper. Below is a link.

http://www.dfw.com/m...rs/13877187.htm

I like the last past Bob Ray Sanders says. Time has passed it by as the city becomes home to a new generation of skyscrapers that will continue to redefine the skyline.

I hope over the next few years bold new towers will outshine all other cities in the metroplex.

#122 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Feb 15 2006, 04:59 PM) View Post

Well, a mid-rise sounds a lot better than an empty parking lot! I think anything XTO builds will have great architectural quality, they already have a great track record. I would also like to see them incorporate a public park in the block, to kind of unite all their buildings and give downtown workers/residents a greenspace to enjoy.

#123 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Feb 16 2006, 12:37 AM) View Post

QUOTE(JKC @ Feb 15 2006, 08:59 PM) View Post

Sarcasm sure is fun, huh?

No offense intended, it was meant in fun.

#124 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:17 PM

An original Bill Wood print....remember when! (a little on the large size but worth it).
IPB Image

#125 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

Outstanding!!!

#126 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:22 PM

You think that photo was taken from the Commerce Building? I was noticing the row of bricks going up the side from the window this shot was taken.

John

#127 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:47 PM

The Landmark Tower or CNB was built when I was a young boy and it was always my favorite building. My uncle worked for his brother's contstruction company that was one of the contractors that built it, Rambo Construction. My uncle operated the construction elevator that is visible in some of the pictures shown earlier. We went downtown almost every day to watch the building go up. I remember him walking up the external fire escape and going up the external construction elevator. He talked about the building often. Several of the construction workers were killed in accidents during the construction. One night, a storm came in and he got a call from his brother that security had called and materials were blowing off the floors. They went down there in the middle of the night and went floor to floor securing what they could. When the building was nearing completion, he would tell how on a clear night you could see downtown Dallas from the roof. The clock when it was completed was designed to stop rotating when the wind speed reached about 50 mph. It also rotated one revolution a minute. While the building is in terrible shape, it will be very sad for me to see it come down. I've got an old color post card from the early days with the red brick streets and old cars that I will post when I have time to figure out how to do it.

#128 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:06 PM

Welcome to the forum, Bailey. In order to post photos, you have to upload them to a web hosting site, or your personal web site. Then provide the URL of the photograph between "img" brackets and code.

#129 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:47 PM

I can host some pics if you need someone! email it to jlpjr@sbcglobal.net or john@KXOL1360.com
smile.gif

#130 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:43 PM

This image come from Wayne!
IPB Image

Nice one Wayne. Sad to think it will soon be gone for good! cry.gif

John

#131 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(johnlp @ Feb 18 2006, 09:43 PM) View Post

IPB Image

John

I saw some great views of the top of the building and clock from the Petroleum Club. You look right down at it from a couple of blocks away. It would be a great view to watch the building come down.

#132 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

You know, a good bit of triva and just general interst, does ANYONE know about the mechanics of the clock? How it worked, how did it keep time?
I was told that it used 480 flood lights (per clock side) to make the digits including the (smile.gif colon mark.
It would be great to see some clock construction photos! When the CNB letters were removed in 86-87, there was an awesome color photo in the FWST showing the "C" being removed. I'd like to find that pic! smile.gif
I was also told the the body of the clock was made of stacked "I" beams. Not sure how correct that is.
Blue prints would be cool to see!

#133 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

IPB Image

John

Even in that post card, some odd windows and some stains are on the building. Did it ever look brand new?

#134 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(johnlp @ Feb 18 2006, 10:07 PM) View Post

You know, a good bit of triva and just general interst, does ANYONE know about the mechanics of the clock? How it worked, how did it keep time?
I was told that it used 480 flood lights (per clock side) to make the digits including the (smile.gif colon mark.
It would be great to see some clock construction photos! When the CNB letters were removed in 86-87, there was an awesome color photo in the FWST showing the "C" being removed. I'd like to find that pic! smile.gif
I was also told the the body of the clock was made of stacked "I" beams. Not sure how correct that is.
Blue prints would be cool to see!

I don't have blue prints but the clock was made of "I" beams. They were taken up to the roof individually and assembled like an erector set. Gears rotated the clock and they eventually wore out and the clock stopped rotating. I don't know what the mechanism was that kept the time either but it was always accurate. The clock was extremely heavy and not a part of the original building plans. It was originally going to be all brick but when they decided to add the clock, they had to use the aluminum curtain wall to cut the weight. They also had to reinforce the foundation of the building.

#135 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(DrkLts @ Feb 18 2006, 10:08 PM) View Post

IPB Image

John

Even in that post card, some odd windows and some stains are on the building. Did it ever look brand new?

Some of the panels developed a red tint after a few years, but nothing like it is today. The windows weren't tinted in those days so it was pretty clear which ones had the blinds up.

#136 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:05 PM

Bailey, earlier in this thread, I went into great detail on the history of the construction of the building. The link to it is here:

http://www.fortworth...indpost&p=19126

#137 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Feb 18 2006, 11:05 PM) View Post

Bailey, earlier in this thread, I went into great detail on the history of the construction of the building. The link to it is here:

http://www.fortworth...indpost&p=19126

Thanks. Very detailed story of the history of the building.

#138 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:12 PM

Here are my latest demolition pictures from Thursday.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Look how few columns inside the building actually passed through the first floor:
IPB Image

IPB Image

#139 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:38 AM

I know these are professionals doing the demo, but for something this tall, what are the chances for something to go wrong as it comes down? I mean if it starts to lean over instead of coming straight down and such. The damage to the surrounding buildings and streets would be horrific.

#140 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:41 AM

With the debris expected to be six stories that is certainly a lot of opportunity. I think the leaning would occur most easily if one side of the structure remained intact while the others were cut. I would deal with that by making sure that each circuit went to charges on all four sides. That would be a simple beginning. I'm sure there's a lot more to it (back-up circuits, maybe).

The assymetric influence of those two big transfer girders will have to be dealt with, but I'm sure cutting structure on the third floor will mitigate their influence.

Those are great pictures, John. Thanks for posting them.

#141 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(DrkLts @ Feb 20 2006, 03:38 AM) View Post

I know these are professionals doing the demo, but for something this tall, what are the chances for something to go wrong as it comes down? I mean if it starts to lean over instead of coming straight down and such. The damage to the surrounding buildings and streets would be horrific.

I saw something on the Discovery channel related to this kind of demolition. They said the contracts are often written to state that the blasting company's obligation is to reduced the building more or less to a pile of rubble. If the building only comes halfway down or something along those lines, it's still the blasting company's responsibility to finish bringing it down. I've got to believe that could be an expensive proposition.

#142 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:56 AM

Wasn't there a building in Sioux Falls that was supposed to be imploded recently that didn't go all the way down as expected? Anybody know if that job ever got finished?

#143 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:14 AM

It's my understanding that the demo company is setting Landmark Tower up to fall ever so slightly (and I do mean slightly) to the west, to bring it down towards the trench and away from the Simpson building. Don't know if that's true, but that's what I've heard. Could be wrong.

--

Kara B.

#144 jatherton

jatherton

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:33 AM

A recent example of a failed implosion:

http://www.nbc10.com...568/detail.html

In the late eighties or early nineties a set of grain silos on the near west side where So7 is now failed to implode properly. They dropped about one story and didn't collapse. They sat there in that state for some time.

I understand that grain silos are built to contain gigantic pressures inside. In some ways they are quite a bit sturdier than your average skyscraper. This strength appears to be achieved less through artful engineering than by a kind of blunt force approach: They use honkin' thick concrete.

#145 jatherton

jatherton

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:10 PM

And for some successful implosions:

http://www.implosionworld.com/

I always find 'em kind of sad.

By the way, do the stagings in front of the Baker/Simpson building and beside the Waggoner building have something to do with the implosion of the Landmark tower? Kinda soon after the restoration for the Simpson building to need work.

#146 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:18 PM

I am not an expert in buiding demolitions, and yes, things can go wrong with implosions. However, all of these demolitions are extremely controlled. In most early 20th Century skyscrapers that were imploded, the building had a wider base and a tower section. The base was demolished and the basement was excavated, then the tower was imploded into the already demolished basement. Larger floor plate buildings that are shorter than they are long are simply imploded into themselves. Most of the implosions of tall buildings are designed to drift as they fall toward the area that has the most room.

Since the Landmark Tower had no lower and wider base, the remainder of the block is being used for the demolition process. The excavation that has already occurred on the north side of the building to get equipment out of the basement and sub-basement will be used as the area for the building to fall into. Over the next month, you will see this hole be expanded to the west side of the building and more of the rock and debris piled up along Throckmorton and 6th Streets. These actions create a hole to fall into and a barrier to lessen the damage to other buildings. This will allow the building to drift toward the excavated areas and away from the other buildings across Houston Street.

As for grain elevators, the reason their implosions take time and seem difficult is that they are designed to be explosion proof due to spontaneous combustion of the grain. That is mainly done by pouring the concrete extremely thick.

#147 bburton

bburton
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Feb 8 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

I hear that the command center will be in Federal Plaza, but I think that is a no photography zone, so I'm not sure the public will be allowed to take pictures from that location. It will have an unobstructed view of the entire building and people there will not be looking directly into the rising sun.

Has anybody learned whether or not photographers will be allowed in the Federal Plaza? If not, who would likely know this information?

Also, if the Plaza is off limits, where's the next best location for a ground-level view of the implosion?

Thanks. biggrin.gif

#148 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:19 PM

If the Plaza is off limits, then I would say that 8th & Houston, diagonally across from the W.T. Waggoner Building would be the next best spot. However, I still find it hard to believe that spectators would be allowed that close. From the information issued so far, that intersection appears to be outside the boundary. Personally, I think that when the logistics are worked out, the southern boundary of no admittance will be 9th Street. Already, the area includes two full blocks west, north, and east of the tower's block. I'm thinking the area will be expanded to 2 full blocks on the south. If that is the case, there will not be any point on the ground, except in Federal Plaza, that will allow a full view of the building. I'm also afraid that we really won't know what areas are off limits until that morning.

The safe location is being invited into a residence in The Tower, but we already know that looking into the sun will probably not yield the best photographs.

#149 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:55 PM

Birth of the CNB. From an original Bill Wood print from 10-3-1955 smile.gif Look at that beautiful Skyline! Picture was shot from roof of Montgomery Ward.

IPB Image
Also of interest in this print is the construction of the Clifford Herring Sound Equipment Company at 1705 W 7th (bottom right corner). 10 years later this would become the home of KXOL. smile.gif

#150 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:59 PM

That is one great shot! Do you have more of the construction of the building?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users