• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

While reading another thread about film commissions, I thought about how Fort Worth has been viewed historically in filmdom.  Two classic movies come to mind..."Fort Worth" (a 1951 western starring Randolph Scott) and "Strategic Air Command" (1955 film starring Jimmy Stewart).  I have personal memories of the latter movie in that I grew up on the city's west side under the flight path used by Carswell AFB, which is one of the locations shot in that movie.

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

I love "Strategic Air Command". It's one of my favorite Jimmy Stewart movies. Here's a video of the first B-36 takeoff scene filmed at Carswell. I've heard it's the only existing footage of a B-36 in flight.

https://youtu.be/sM1CZdppWrU

#3 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:33 AM

Wow!  Danke Shon!

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

There's a number of versions of that video on You Tube. The one I linked was easily the highest quality, but it unfortunately lacked the movie dialogue and the outstanding score. Someone in an aviation group that I follow on Facebook posted a great high quality, full audio version without sub-titles last week and I can't find it to save my life.

#5 earlbutkus

earlbutkus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Local history and historic sites

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:00 AM

May not be a classic, but George Strait's movie Pure Country was filmed in Fort Worth and surrounding communities for the most part. It is interesting how  it shows the road crew traveling from city to city on tour when in reality all the cities were actually Fort Worth.

#6 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

we can't forget this one...   

#7 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

we can't forget this one...   

I watched them shoot the final scene where everyone gathered around Peter Ustinov at the bottom of the Water Garden.

#8 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:09 AM

https://en.wikipedia...are_Dance_(film) Set in and filmed in FW, at least partly. 

#9 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

And partially the "NEW" Ridgmar Mall.

#10 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:35 PM

Beyond the Time Barrier, shot partly at Carswell AFB and at the former MCAS Eagle Mountain.

https://en.wikipedia...rier#Production

#11 Mtuggle76

Mtuggle76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 07:33 PM

As a kid in the 80s, my friends mom rented the guest house from the then owner Richard of the whiting castle, where Jimmy Stewart stayed during the filming of strategic air command.  I used to visit my friend on the weekends and we would play all around and in the Castle. On another note, the church seen from the air is located on Whitesettlement road just as you get off the spur going towards Lockheed. It’s on the left hand side going westbound.  There is a Historical Marker there too, never stopped to read it though.  

#12 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 28 June 2022 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for sharing! I will have to check that out.

#13 earlbutkus

earlbutkus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Local history and historic sites

Posted 07 September 2023 - 02:28 PM

Another movie filmed in Ft Worth and the metroplex is the 1970 movie Mark of the Witch. It has outdoor filming that includes the TCU campus. The fountains are clearly visible in the movie.

#14 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 07:09 PM

"The Lathe of Heaven" 1980 adaptation of the novel by Ursula K. Le Guin. Filmed in Dallas and Fort Worth (rather than the story's setting of Portland OR) and features The Water Gardens, Tandy Center (now City Center), DFW Airport, and several sites in Dallas including City Hall and Reunion Tower. The Wikipedia article states filming also took place in the Mobil Building in Fort Worth, but the Mobil (Magnolia) Building is in Dallas; could it be the scene was actually shot in the Petroleum building? "...most-requested program in PBS history" I saw the filming at the Water Gardens... alien sea turtles selling ice cream cones... that's what I remember anyway. I think I have the DVD somewhere, maybe time to dig it out again

#15 Lobster Eastside

Lobster Eastside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 09:20 AM

"The Lathe of Heaven" 1980 adaptation of the novel by Ursula K. Le Guin. Filmed in Dallas and Fort Worth (rather than the story's setting of Portland OR) and features The Water Gardens, Tandy Center (now City Center), DFW Airport, and several sites in Dallas including City Hall and Reunion Tower. The Wikipedia article states filming also took place in the Mobil Building in Fort Worth, but the Mobil (Magnolia) Building is in Dallas; could it be the scene was actually shot in the Petroleum building? "...most-requested program in PBS history" I saw the filming at the Water Gardens... alien sea turtles selling ice cream cones... that's what I remember anyway. I think I have the DVD somewhere, maybe time to dig it out again

I just ordered the DVD.  I'm glad you posted about this movie.  I'm fascinated with locally filmed movies, especially from back in my childhood.  This should be up there with "Logan's Run" and "Pure Country" for me, to name a couple...

#16 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 08 September 2023 - 09:30 AM

I just ordered the DVD.  I'm glad you posted about this movie.  I'm fascinated with locally filmed movies, especially from back in my childhood.  This should be up there with "Logan's Run" and "Pure Country" for me, to name a couple...

I think the full version is free on youtube:

or this has it chaptered in twelve parts:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users