#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Today's daily dose of humor... 

Burnett Plaza won the best of the best in the commercial real estate industry during the TOBY Awards Reception and Banquet at the 2014 Every Building Conference & Expo in Orlando, Florida. 

Allison Millington's team consisting of Russ Leverman, Amee Fuchs, Sandy Berry, Genevia Crow, Cori Weston, Kweli Campbell, Deryl Wilson, Michael McGowan, Jon Kilgore, and Darryl Claxton, competed against six other buildings across the U.S. and Canada, and brought home the win!

The property is owned by TIER REIT, Inc. and managed by Behringer. Burnett Plaza is a BOMA 360 certified building and encompasses two city blocks, creating a powerful image at the southwest edge of Fort Worth’s Central Business District. Built in 1983, this 40-story building is one of the city’s most elite commercial properties. It overlooks Burnett Park, a spectacularly landscaped, two-acre urban park and is beautifully showcased through the main lobby’s east window wall of 18-foot high glass, running the building’s length. At night, the building’s outline is spectacularly lit by 5,100 LF of clear bulbs, showcasing its iconic status in the CBD. 

BOMA Fort Worth congratulates Allison and her team on a job well done!

http://www.dfwi.org/...-Big-In-Orlando

The article fails to mention several things, like the stunningly powerful elevtor shafts reaching into the air! To celebrate Burnett's victory, I think we should load her up with fireworks and a couple tons of TNT. 

#2 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

God, I hate this building... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#3 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

I know people here like to bag on BP, but I worked in that building there for several years and I became fond of it.  Bland aestheics apart, there's very little to complain about from a usability standpoint.  I had offices facing every direction except North and enjoyed the views immensely.  Easy in and easy out of pretty decent parking with no silly sky bridge.  It shows well to Wall Street types.  The park is great.

What's funny about this whole thing is that people around talk as though the architects and the developers must have been completely incompetent morons.  Maybe, but I wish I was so lucky and incompetent to have designed a million sq ft building that's still commanding a Class A premium 30 years later.  You can make a lot of money with that kind of incompetence.  There are a lot of pretty buildings that kind of suck from a usage standpoint.

It's easy to take pot shots at the building, and I agree that the elevator over-run looks a little silly.  But I'm fine with the rest of it.  It's consistent stylitically with many other buildings that were put up around the same time.  John, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the lack of flourish and flair was deliberate, correct?

I guess I would just challenge people to spend some time finding out what's good about the building.  Personally, I love the surface of the exterior.  The concrete in the Modern has a soft look by virtue of the incredible gloss finish.  To me, the concrete on Burnett Plaza has a soft look, like loose sand.  From a distance it looks rigid and harsh, but up close not so much.

Anyway, I'm not a hater on BP.  There are definitely buildings I like less.

#4 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

Burnett Plaza is, functionally, a fine building.  (I used to work in it, too.)  I just wish it wasn't so terrible, aesthetically.  There are buildings from the same era in similar styles that are at least less bluntly ugly.  I'd even forgive its blocky ugliness if it weren't to this day the most commanding structure of the FW skyline.

--

Kara B.

#5 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

What high rises could be more bluntly ugly than those two tall glass towers downtown? Mediocre, non-descript, undistinguished tenements....

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#6 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

I'd even forgive its blocky ugliness if it weren't to this day the most commanding structure of the FW skyline.

Exactly, the answer isn't to change BP, it's to add to the rest of the skyline.

#7 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

^777 Main is pretty bad to IMO. Of the big six, The Tower and Omni are 10/10, Bass twins are 7/10, 777 I'd give 5/10 and Burnett 3/10. Just in terms of exterior appearance and integration withing the city.

#8 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:men, reading, music, and development

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

I know people here like to bag on BP, but I worked in that building there for several years and I became fond of it.  Bland aestheics apart, there's very little to complain about from a usability standpoint.  I had offices facing every direction except North and enjoyed the views immensely.  Easy in and easy out of pretty decent parking with no silly sky bridge.  It shows well to Wall Street types.  The park is great.

What's funny about this whole thing is that people around talk as though the architects and the developers must have been completely incompetent morons.  Maybe, but I wish I was so lucky and incompetent to have designed a million sq ft building that's still commanding a Class A premium 30 years later.  You can make a lot of money with that kind of incompetence.  There are a lot of pretty buildings that kind of suck from a usage standpoint.

It's easy to take pot shots at the building, and I agree that the elevator over-run looks a little silly.  But I'm fine with the rest of it.  It's consistent stylitically with many other buildings that were put up around the same time.  John, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the lack of flourish and flair was deliberate, correct?

I guess I would just challenge people to spend some time finding out what's good about the building.  Personally, I love the surface of the exterior.  The concrete in the Modern has a soft look by virtue of the incredible gloss finish.  To me, the concrete on Burnett Plaza has a soft look, like loose sand.  From a distance it looks rigid and harsh, but up close not so much.

You have made me look at the building in a different light :)

#9 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Those glass towers look absolutely spectacular at both dawn and dusk.

#10 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

And the City Hall building looks best at 4 am from when viewed from the Trinity River.

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

One of my bosses worked on the building when he was at Geren Associates.  Over the years, my firm has done architectural work inside the building.  One of the reasons it was built was that is was supposed to become the headquarters of the First of Fort Worth (at that time, formerly First National Bank of Fort Worth).  They wanted the building to be a companion to the SOM designed bank building from 1961.  That's why the east side looks similar to that building.  The architects chose to make the elevator core a design element.  They also chose to limit the glass on the west and south sides.  That is why those facades look different from the east.  They chose the north side to look like the other two.  The building is definitely modernist in appearance and it does function very well for a narrow building. 

As for the elevator overrun, about half of it has to be there, or be disguised in some way or another.  The upper half is a screen to hide communications equipment.  Yes, that could have been placed on the main roof.  When originally announced, the building was about 10 stories shorter and the D.R. Horton Tower was supposed to be the city's new tallest building.  Pre-signed tenants wanted more space, so the building grew until it was 40 stories.  With the difference in floor to floor heights from steel to concrete buildings, Burnett Plaza was to be a few feet shorter than D.R. Horton.  The developers had already stated it was going to be the city's tallest when it grew to 40 stories.  However, it was discovered that it was not.  With the addition of the communications screen, this was a way to allow the building to live up to its hype and serve its tenants needs.

The building that was the city's tallest for the longest amount of time was the Farmers and Mechanics National Bank, now 714 Main.  It held that title for 36 years.  In five more years, Burnett Plaza will tie that length. 

#12 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

If it wasn't for the size (and the building it replaced) I'd have no problem with it. 

Well... maybe I would, but not as much. If it wasn't so imposing and bold, I and many others more than likely wouldn't have the same kind of hatred for it. Outside of the office space, the only thing I like about it is the shade it provides during certain hours in the Summer. But that's about it...  

7fwPZnE.png

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

I'm also sorry that they demolished the Medical Arts Building to build it. If it were still standing today, it probably would have made a great residential building.

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:55 PM

^ The shade factor is actually an pretty interesting one, it does make Burnett Park more bearable during 100 degree days.

#15 cerebralshrike

cerebralshrike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

And the City Hall building looks best at 4 am from when viewed from the Trinity River.

I have pictures of both buildings that I took just as the sun was going down. Absolutely stunning.

#16 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

Silly me...  not to have realized that two buildings that look butt ugly 20+ hours of the day are justified by their reflectability lasting a few minutes for a few viewers ...  :) 

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#17 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:52 AM

I haven't seen it myself but I'm hearing that BP has switched to LED lighting outlining the building. Not sure if I remember hearing that was going to happen. I can't imagine it not being an improvement over the incandescents.

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:36 AM

I thought the lighting looked "different" and "brighter".  I also thought that the building ownership might have switched the lamps with LED. However, I did not take a real close look.  Switching the lamps was probably the cheapest conversion to LED technology.

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

I was down there last night taking a new photograph of the building.  I also took a look at the skyline from a distance, and the new lighting is much brighter.  Our friend, Brian Luenser, took new photos on Friday evening, and his photos had a little more light to the sky.  I was comparing the photos, and I wondering if I should have uploaded a shot taken a few minutes earlier.  However, I can always switch out the pictures.  Here is the one I took last night.

burnett-n2.jpg

#20 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:51 PM

The new lights are a nice improvement, Burnett certainly is the king of the nightime skyline. Would like to see 777 Main, 500 W. 7h, and the City Center towers follow a similar style. 

#21 Corsicana33

Corsicana33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Cars, Six Flags, Architecture, Cooking, Roadtrips and Having Fun

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

Would be nice to see all the big boys downtown adopt the energy efficient LED lights and make them mimic what Sundance Square has going each night.

#22 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:29 AM

Would be nice to see all the big boys downtown adopt the energy efficient LED lights and make them mimic what Sundance Square has going each night.

More LED, yes.

But we could use more FLOODLIGHTS and less Christmas bulbs for the skyscrapers?

7fwPZnE.png

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 11:35 PM

John pointed out that we are moths away from Burnett Plaza becoming the cities tallest building for the longest time, 36 years now, surpassing 714 Main, which ruled from 1921 until Landmark Tower in 1957.

Of the 53 cities in the US with at least 1 500 foot tall tower, 12 have had their tallest building for a longer time than Fort Worth. These are Boston (Hancock Tower, 1976) Tulsa (BOK Tower, 1976), Chicago (Willis/Sears Tower, 1974) Buffalo (One Seneca, 1974) Milwaukee (US Bank Center, 1973) Minneapolis (IDS Tower, 1973) Columbus (Rhodes State Tower, 1973) Portland (Wells Fargo Center, 1972) New Orleans (One Shell Square,1972) Pittsburgh (US Steel Tower,1970) and Albany (Erastus Corning Tower, 1966)

Of all 53 cities, only 4 have not added a building in their top 5 tallest since 1985, those being Tulsa, Albany, Buffalo, and Fort Worth.

Disregarding the 500 foot limit and halving that (250 ft), I believe that Waco's Alico Building is the longest reigning tallest anywhere in the U.S., having been built in 1911.

#24 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:38 PM

Buffalo (One Seneca, 1974)

Of all 53 cities, only 4 have not added a building in their top 5 tallest since 1985, those being Tulsa, Albany, Buffalo, and Fort Worth.

One Seneca tower bears a striking resemblance to The Tower in Fort Worth.  Similar aspect ratio, 38 floors, largely empty at the moment and being redeveloped

800px-One_HSBC_Buffalo.jpg

My blog: Doohickie

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

Interesting! Are we getting to the point where postwar towers are getting converted to residents too? 

#26 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 02:38 PM

I think a few folks from this forum would be first in line to move into BP if it's ever converted residential. That way it's never part of their skyline view.

#27 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 11:51 AM

I said some years back that BP wold be better for residential and replace by one of the several skyscraper ideas in proximity I had for office.

Honestly, I feel that it's inevitable... 

7fwPZnE.png

#28 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:28 PM

Now that it is 2020, Burnett plaza's 37 year reign of tallest in the city has taken over 714 Main's title of longest held title of tallest, which it had from 1921 until 1957.

#29 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:23 PM

Austin, you are correct.  From my calculations, it appeared that Burnett Plaza took the title around Thanksgiving.  I tried my best to look through the Star-Telegram archives to find an exact date that Burnett Plaza opened, but it appears that it was a "soft" opening with tenants filtering into the building.  Also, through the S-T archives, I found that 714 Main (originally the Farmers & Mechanics National Bank) had a formal opening in 1921, as did the Continental National Bank in 1957.  I could pinpoint 714 Main's reign as the tallest down to the year, month, and day.

#30 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:50 AM

The building is for sale -

https://www.dallasne...r-up-for-grabs/

#31 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:57 AM

Buffalo (One Seneca, 1974)

One Seneca tower bears a striking resemblance to The Tower in Fort Worth.  Similar aspect ratio, 38 floors, largely empty at the moment and being redeveloped

Actually Memphis can be added to the list, but that doesn't make it look any better.  When you are comparing yourselves with cities that are on the decline or holding steady while you are a city that has doubled it's population in 20 years then it makes it more tragic.

Again, look at the leaders of FW for the answer to the problem.  They have done all they could have to make sure FW's growth has been stunted.

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 10:24 PM

One interesting thing to note about the building being for sale, the old drive through bank lot is also included. One of the more interesting potentials for developments in town.

"An additional 1.38 acre site is available for development of a residential tower, hotel or additional office parking (Zoned “H” Central Business)"

#33 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 15 March 2021 - 10:15 AM

One interesting thing to note about the building being for sale, the old drive through bank lot is also included. One of the more interesting potentials for developments in town.

"An additional 1.38 acre site is available for development of a residential tower, hotel or additional office parking (Zoned “H” Central Business)"

This is a fine Investment Summary "teaser" that JLL put together on Burnett Plaza.  I can confidently say that their marketing people have this down to a science:

https://res.cloudina...ag4lictl23a.pdf

OoC7pqb.png

Lyb3doM.png

BdBXZEY.png

kwUUrXu.png

cXRDDIq.png

0Mm9k8Z.png

FdN38QH.png

EpaNSln.png

9H975rW.png

ZvmKwgv.png

qxE3WFf.png

hdncpSv.png

Ul2sBiA.png

fIfkwyd.png

5TDaBhX.png

h6hFQTI.png

7u1JRfg.png

2PBWdbj.png

AZXiy76.png

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:22 AM

SOLD!

https://www.dallasne...o-nyc-investor/

#35 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:09 AM

C'mon mixed-use...

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bf3eb06xpyoesh8100b0

7fwPZnE.png

#36 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:36 PM

No, Jeriat. This city needs more office space, not less.

-Dylan

#37 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:00 PM

No, Jeriat. This city needs more office space, not less.

. . . did I say that? 

7fwPZnE.png

#38 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:42 PM

I think Dylans point is that your suggestion for mixed use reduces the amount of office space.

#39 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:40 AM

I think Dylans point is that your suggestion for mixed use reduces the amount of office space.

I get the point, but did I actually say we need less office space...? 

I've said multiple times here that I'm for building more of everything. I've also said that I'd rather see THIS building used for something else... or gone. And since the latter isn't happening, I choose mixed use, which can also mean office space. 

7fwPZnE.png

#40 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 10:07 AM

I get that, but if you convert it to mixed use, that would reduce the amount of office space overall, right? Of course you arent saying less office space is needed, but your suggestion results in that, at least in the interim.

#41 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:45 AM

I get that, but if you convert it to mixed use, that would reduce the amount of office space overall, right? Of course you arent saying less office space is needed, but your suggestion results in that, at least in the interim.

If anything, I'm actually referring more to building for the new and more density within the core, which of course includes office. 

7fwPZnE.png

#42 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 02:32 PM

I found it interesting to note that Burnett Park, rather than Sundance Square will be hosting the upcoming outdoor movie series...

https://www.fortwort...tt-Plaza-Movies

Showtime is 8:30 p.m. at 501 W Seventh St.

Save the dates and meet under the stars for the free movie series:

#43 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 02 May 2022 - 04:58 PM

That's awesome.  I think BP needs more programming so this is a good start.

#44 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 09:06 PM

There's some weird stuff afoot, with pulling that sort of thing out of Sundance Square.  I think there's some kind of bad blood going on that we're just seeing hints of.

My blog: Doohickie

#45 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 09:18 PM

There's some weird stuff afoot, with pulling that sort of thing out of Sundance Square.  I think there's some kind of bad blood going on that we're just seeing hints of.

There is definitely bad blood between Sascha Bass and Andy Taft and DFWI.

#46 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 02 May 2022 - 09:23 PM

There was something in the paper a few months ago about some trees.

#47 WTXKid

WTXKid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 May 2022 - 06:15 PM

Mixed use would definitely be appropriate. I dont think were ever going back to the office full time. But living downtown full time could be a great economic engine for businesses, even better than 8 to 5 office use.

C'mon mixed-use...

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bf3eb06xpyoesh8100b0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users