• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 elpingüino

elpingüino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

From the Dallas Business Journal: Provident Realty readies $1B project on former Pate Ranch tract

Dallas-based developer Provident Realty Advisors is prepping a 468-acre tract formerly owned by Fort Worth's Pate family for a $1 billion mixed-use development with 1,000 single-family homes, nearly 200,000 square feet of grocery-anchored retail space and an apartment community along the Chisholm Trail Parkway.

The article says it will be on the southwest quadrant of [the extended] Bryant Irvin and Altamesa, but I'm thinking it would have to be the southeast quadrant. The SW quadrant doesn't have very much room between Bryant Irvin and Benbrook Lake, and that property wouldn't be along the CTP.

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:06 PM

How does the description qualify this development as "mixed use"? The real estate / planning community needs to get together and specifically define this term. The plans announced above have no apparent resemblance to the term as used by urban planners. A "mixed use" neighborhood has dissimilar uses in the same building; residential, commercial, retail, etc. Only industrial uses are segregated to allow for the expected noise and other pollution and for the elevated potential for catastrophic "accidents" that accompany  manufacturing and extraction. The meaning of the term as used in the release quoted above is that there will be residences and stores in the same 468 acre development.. Would anyone, from developer to planning and zoning commissioner to private citizen expect anything else? Why was the term used, to mislead, to raise expectations as to the quality of the development? The term mixed-use connotes a specific sort of neighborhood, and I seriously doubt that is what Provident Realty Advisors has in mind for this plot.

#3 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:26 PM

I've heard the term "multi use" to refer to projects that have multiple uses but uses that are not closely integrated, which is pretty typical in suburban locations.

They usually have different development partners handle different sections (residential developer builds a subdivision, retail developer builds a retail center, etc) and they sell those sections to the different entities.  One major reason is it is much more complicated to integrate all those uses, and can make selling the different components more complex too.  Because developers are greatly rewarded for speed of delivery, leasing, selling, etc, anything that complicates or slows the project costs them much more.

The industry has become more accustomed to true mixed use projects, and they are happening more.  Still, the added complexity (and therefore cost and risk) scares a lot of developers off from better integrating those components. 

I do wish the City felt it had more leverage to require better connectivity at least between these uses so that residents in the development can comfortably walk to the retail and offices in the same project.  Often the developers fight that connectivity. 

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:03 PM

It's become a buzzword at this point. Only there for marketing uses it seems. 

#5 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

It's become a buzzword at this point. Only there for marketing uses it seems. 

When in doubt, there's always Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia...use_development

#6 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:44 PM

I do wish the City felt it had more leverage to require better connectivity at least between these uses so that residents in the development can comfortably walk to the retail and offices in the same project.  Often the developers fight that connectivity. 

How's this for leverage: Will you be wanting to tie your project into our water, sewer and streets?

#7 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

True but the City feels it has a mandate to facilitate development and needs to hear more from the public regarding support for insisting on better pedestrian connectivity, etc, to push harder - is how I understand it.

#8 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

True but the City feels it has a mandate to facilitate development and needs to hear more from the public regarding support for insisting on better pedestrian connectivity, etc, to push harder - is how I understand it.

What would you suggest is the best way for a citizen to voice their opinion on this matter? Letters to their council member? Attending a planning or city council meeting and signing up to speak? Is there some more specific vehicle that is better focused on the subject that might get better exposure for the opinion voiced?

#9 elpingüino

elpingüino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:49 PM

The anchor of Tavolo Park will be a Kroger, pending City Council approval. I assume this means the Kroger at Hulen and Granbury will close? Or would Kroger operate two stores within two miles of each other?

#10 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

Tavolo Park now has a website and marketing signs on the front of the property along Alta Mesa blvd.

#11 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

The anchor of Tavolo Park will be a Kroger, pending City Council approval. I assume this means the Kroger at Hulen and Granbury will close? Or would Kroger operate two stores within two miles of each other?

It's about the same distance as the Altamesa & McCart Kroger is from the Hulen Bend Kroger, so there's already a precedent in the area for two Kroger stores operating in close proximity, so maybe Hulen Bend stays open?  On the other hand, how many Krogers can be supported in close proximity to each other?  If I were going to close one, it would probably be the one on McCart and let those customers go to Hulen Bend; I think the Hulen Bend store is a little nicer (not sure how they compare in sales currently though.)

My blog: Doohickie

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

Doohickie, I believe the Kroger store at Hulen Bend will be closing on May 3rd., if my sources are correct.

#13 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

Ouch, that's gonna hurt that shopping center.  I remember when that was all new.  It seems like there's some rejuvenation on the other side of Hulen Bend Blvd. (the AMC Theater is being renovated and it seems like there are new businesses in the strip buildings), but the north side of Hulen Bend is going to suffer with that big hole.

My blog: Doohickie

#14 elpingüino

elpingüino

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

According to the market/demographic analysis for Chisholm Trail Ranch, a separate development, the Kroger at Tavolo Park will open in February 2019. http://www.edge-re.c...anch_Aerial.pdf

#15 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

More residential development of Tavolo Park, this time for senior citizens.

http://www.fortworth...64f39edb18.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Southwest, Chisholm Trail Parkway, Retail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users