31 replies to this topic

#1 buckeyecop

buckeyecop

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and have found it quite interesting. It sure does bring back some memories... I grew up in Stop Six and Poly, and moved to Ohio in 1978 when my parents passed away. I was wondering, is Reddy Kilowatt still on the side of the Handley power plant? I remember him being there, lit up at night as a kid, and if my memory serves me correctly he was quite large and neon. I have looked high and low for pics of the plant with Reddy on it but haven't found any. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:09 AM

I think Mr. Kilowatt lost his job as spokesman for TESCO a long time ago, perhaps when TESCO became Texas Utilities or TXU or Oncor or whatever merger. As a matter of fact, the Handley power generating station was sold to Exelon of Philadelphia. According to an undated article, John Wilder, TXU chief executive officer, has said that the utility prefers to shed its older, less efficient gas-fired units and buy power from the newer generators that have been built by independent operators around Dallas-Fort Worth.

I was not aware Mr. Kilowatt's image on the Handley plant, but I have seen him modelling in old pictures of the power plant next to Paddock Viaduct at North Main Street. I understand a NIB Reddy Kilowatt sign intended for one of the now demolished was recently discovered.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#3 buckeyecop

buckeyecop

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

Thanks, Andy.

It was probably 1970 to 72 that I last remember going by there and seeing it. We made a trip one time out that way at night just so my dad could show it to us, probably when I was three or four years old. I also remember on that trip going down Handley Rd by the tracks and that it had either a sharp turn or an "S" turn. We moved over to Thrall Ct. in Poly in 1970, so I don't really remember too much about the area out in Stop Six, except we lived next to Boswell's and across from Amanda St on Rosedale. My mom and dad had some friends that lived out in Kennedale and we would make occasional trips to see them. I don't remember too many details but if I remember right they built a freeway out around Kennedale and my parent's friends lost their land and house to eminent domain. We also made the obligatory trips to Lake Arlington for some time afterwards but I don't really recall going by the power plant and seeing it.

I double checked with my brother last night and he remembers the plant with Reddy on it too. I have an older sister that still lives in Haltom City, and she grew up in Poly during the 60's. I'll have to check with her and see if she remembers dad ever taking her out there to see it.

Also, I saw a post in here somewhere debating the origins of the naming of Stop Six. Before my dad took a job as a truck driver for Foremost Ice Cream, he drove a bus for the city. I do remember him talking about Stop Six with someone and he said it had nothing to do with the old interurban line, since that ran out on Lancaster St. Maybe a stop on the old bus lines in the forties or fifties? I wouldn't think so, since Stop Six is so far away from the terminal, but who knows?

Happy New Year!

#4 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:02 PM

Heya! My father worked for TESCO (Texas Electric Service Company) during the 1970s and I remember seeing Reddy Kilowatt lit up on the side of one of those big structures at the Handley power plant. We used to go to company picnics on the western shores of Lake Arlington and we'd drive right past it. I was just a little kid at the time but I think that they stopped lighting him up during the 1973 energy crisis as a PR move. Later on I remember seeing a photograph of Reddy being removed from the power plant in the TESCO Roundup (the company newsletter); one of his arms had been ripped off in a storm, and whether ol' Reddy was repaired and reinstalled later, or just removed for good, I can't say. But I think he was gone completely by the end of the '70s.

#5 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

I'm not old enough to remember a lit up character,but I do remember a metal piece that looked like what your talking about on the side of an office building along Rosedale.Did Reddy have a head, arms and a body that was a lightning bolt?I'll try to get a picture of the plant for the thread.I probably live the closest.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#6 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:02 AM

ReddyKilowatt.org

Seems ready is a registered trademark and was probably costing TESCO at least a few bucks per year in licensing fees. Current owner is Xcel Energy.

#7 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:37 AM

For a second there I thought Reddy was flipping me off in that picture.

I remember him on the side of the Handley plant. Would see him every other weekend on the way home from Mom's. Early seventies sounds right. I don't remember him flying the bird, though.

#8 buckeyecop

buckeyecop

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (texastrill @ Jan 2 2008, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not old enough to remember a lit up character,but I do remember a metal piece that looked like what your talking about on the side of an office building along Rosedale.Did Reddy have a head, arms and a body that was a lightning bolt?I'll try to get a picture of the plant for the thread.I probably live the closest.

This one was right on one of the towers. He was a full-blown Reddy and I remember him being lit up as a character itself, like neon. I spoke with my brother and he's thinking he was a metal figure that was back-lit and also front lit with flood lights. Hell, that was 35 years ago, so the memory is a little fuzzy. As far as the size goes, I guess when you're about four years old, everything seems humongous.

A picture would be great. I could add that to my collection of life pictures.

Oh, and Giraff and gdvanc, thanks for the reply. At least I know I'm somewhat sane rotflmao.gif

#9 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

This pic was taken in spring of 07:

T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#10 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

This is too funny! My grandfather was EVP of Alabama Power Company for nearly thirty year. He told stories of a co-worker coming to a party with the light bulb nose, etc. and the marketing department ran with the idea of...voila! Reddy Kilowatt! I have Reddy lapel pins, charms, and stuff. We always thought it was cheesy, so I may have given some of it away..

#11 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

That's it, we're going to call you Reddyhead now! biggrin.gif

#12 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:55 PM

My Reddy Kilowatt almost burned down our home in Ridgmar. I had a figure that was about eight inches tall and the head, hands and feet glowed in the dark. I sat it on top of my lampshade one night to really get a good glow going. Then I went to brush my teeth where my sister invited me to watch a movie (Channel 8 movie at 10:30pm) and promptly fell asleep. We wake up to the smell of smoke. We ran to my room and find a melted Reddy just about ready to burst into flames.

#13 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:47 PM

I'm pretty sure it was Channel 5 that used to run a Reddy Kilowatt cartoon at sign-off. Just Reddy singing a song about himself and all the things electricity could do. His voice was done by a woman.

#14 buckeyecop

buckeyecop

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

http://www.flickr.co...rmot/389754207/

Hey Andy, thanks for the link. This is exactly what I remember seeing out in Handley, only larger. It was very prominent on the side of the tower, especially at night.

Boy, I feel like an old fart since a lot of you don't remember it rolleyes.gif Anyway, thanks for all the help everyone. Reddy was one of my favorite memories of my early childhood.

#15 JOCOguy

JOCOguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (Ghost Writer in Disguise @ Jan 6 2008, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure it was Channel 5 that used to run a Reddy Kilowatt cartoon at sign-off. Just Reddy singing a song about himself and all the things electricity could do. His voice was done by a woman.

I remember it on "The Texas News" then, WBAP. The news in the early to mid sixties was almost like a newsreel in the old movies. Reddy Killowatt had a little jingle that had a line in it "I can roast your roast, I can toast your toast....." don't remember all of it, but my older brothers would always try to make me shut up.

Kansas City Power and Light used it too. I say a neon RK in a photo in the library on the front of the KCPL building downtown KCMO.

#16 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

I remember Reddy... I loved him as a kid. In fact, I wish he was still around. I miss the old neon signs. I think there is an old power plant in Dallas - near Deep Elum - that has been converted to a loft/urban living that actually still has Reddy on the side of the building. I saw it a few years ago, but can't remember where it is. It sure brought back memories when I saw it. Anyone else know where I'm talking about?

#17 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:45 PM

Reddy in all his glory...

#18 txrdside

txrdside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Photography for around 46 years. Love to travel Route 66.

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:32 PM

Anybody remember this little guy that kept watch at the Texas Electric Service Co at the 7th. St. corner? That's the Worth Theater in Background. I took this photo sometime around 1970 or so, I really don't remember. Les

I'm a real live wire and I never tire; Yes sir, I'm a red hot shot. I can cook your meals, turn the factory wheels; 'cause I'm Reddy Kilowatt.
When you toast your toast or roast your roast; It is I who makes 'em hot. I'm in your TV set with every show you get, 'cause I'm Reddy Kilowatt.
I'm a powerful high-voltage guy. I'm so full of spark I can light up the dark and you should see me wink my 'lectric eye. I wash and dry your clothes, play your radios;I can heat your coffee pot. I am always there with lots of power to spare, 'cause I'm Reddy Kilowatt.

"The best investment in life is memories"
www.tchj.com

#19 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for posting the old photo along West 7th Street. I see that it was in the latter days of some of the theaters because the original giant "Hollywood" sign had been replaced by the smaller, late 1960's version.

#20 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE (txrdside @ Mar 28 2008, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody remember this little guy that kept watch at the Texas Electric Service Co at the 7th. St. corner? That's the Worth Theater in Background. I took this photo sometime around 1970 or so, I really don't remember. Les

I'm a real live wire and I never tire; Yes sir, I'm a red hot shot. I can cook your meals, turn the factory wheels; 'cause I'm Reddy Kilowatt.
When you toast your toast or roast your roast; It is I who makes 'em hot. I'm in your TV set with every show you get, 'cause I'm Reddy Kilowatt.
I'm a powerful high-voltage guy. I'm so full of spark I can light up the dark and you should see me wink my 'lectric eye. I wash and dry your clothes, play your radios;I can heat your coffee pot. I am always there with lots of power to spare, 'cause I'm Reddy Kilowatt.

Thanks, I was hoping for Reddy's lyrics to be included in this.
Probably, another topic, I'd love to know lyrics to lots of local ads: El Fenix is the finest place where everyone may go. . . .etc...to Great Martinez Fame chachacha.
The early mid-60's-- Marcia Hatfeild Fort Worth National lyrics were: Fort Worth National, that's my bank. She's the late Marcia, or Marsha now.

#21 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE (Birdland in Handley @ Mar 29 2008, 05:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (txrdside @ Mar 28 2008, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I was hoping for Reddy's lyrics to be included in this.
Probably, another topic, I'd love to know lyrics to lots of local ads: El Fenix is the finest place where everyone may go. . . .etc...to Great Martinez Fame chachacha.
The early mid-60's-- Marcia Hatfeild Fort Worth National lyrics were: Fort Worth National, that's my bank. She's the late Marcia, or Marsha now.

El Fenix is the finest place where everyone may go
to get the food and atmosphere of friendly Mexico
Tamales and Tortillas are among the favorites here
the Guacamole salad and the Carte Blanca beer
Tostadas, Enchiladas and the Tacos meat and cheese
and all the other dishes that are cooked and served to please
El Fenix...El Fenix...
El Fenix is the finest place of great Martinez fame

or some such...the long version used to be printed on the menu.. I watched channel 11 way too much as a kid...

#22 jbelleptcu

jbelleptcu

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (buckeyecop @ Dec 31 2007, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and have found it quite interesting. It sure does bring back some memories... I grew up in Stop Six and Poly, and moved to Ohio in 1978 when my parents passed away. I was wondering, is Reddy Kilowatt still on the side of the Handley power plant? I remember him being there, lit up at night as a kid, and if my memory serves me correctly he was quite large and neon. I have looked high and low for pics of the plant with Reddy on it but haven't found any. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I remember Reddy! I had an uncle who worked for TESCO. My uncle was all the time giving us kids lapel pins, t- shirts, ect with Reddy's pic on it. My favorite thing was a white sweater with Reddy's red electric bolt body and light bulb head. I had became quite upset with my mother when I was 4 and decided to "run away". I took my Reddy sweater and away I went (all the way to out next door neighbor's house on 5th Ave that was just taking some cookies out of her oven..lol)

Thanks for bringing a happy memory back!

#23 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

Hey, Mr. Greenfield, what you got for me?
I hear you offer real economy.
Need a desk, a chair, or a lamp that's bright?
Plus a few more things to make my office right.
Hey, Mr. Greenfield, save that (?) for me!

Ain't it weird how a jingle will roll around in your head for decades? smile.gif I sang the El Fenix jingle to myself just last week!!!!
(BTW -- Greenfield's Office Furniture, across Lemmon Ave. from Love Field, closed years ago.)

I still remember all those TV commercials for Sidlinger Trampolines and Control Data Institute after all these years, too!

El Fenix...El Fenix...

or some such...the long version used to be printed on the menu.. I watched channel 11 way too much as a kid...
[/quote]

#24 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

I remember Reddy! I had an uncle who worked for TESCO. My uncle was all the time giving us kids lapel pins, t- shirts, ect with Reddy's pic on it.

My father worked for TESCO, too. In 1975 I was in kindergarten and my dad let me borrow his little Reddy Kilowatt pin. You gotta remember, I was only six years old... I was over at my best friend's house, showing off that pin, and somehow the pin itself broke off of the back. Couldn't fix it with epoxy or anything, it was pure-dee broken. You know that panic you feel as a little kid when your dad trusted you with something valuable and you went right out and broke it? I dang near had kittens! I don't remember if I broke the pin or if Richie did, but I was absolutely convinced that if I wanted to keep on living I should just exit Richie's house and keep on running. I thought Dad would kill me for sure (I was six, remember?). When I finally got the courage to 'fess up to him about it, he just blew it off and told me not to worry about it. He could always get another. (Heck, I thought a Reddy Kilowatt pin was priceless and irreplaceable!) PHEW!!!!! Good ol' Dad! smile.gif

#25 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE (Giraffe @ Apr 13 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was: "Hey Mr. Greenfield, save that dough for me."

I heard that song pretty much every morning for the first I don't know how many years of getting read to go to school. My mother would always put the radio on KRLD for the news - and to this day, I still pretty much remember their morning news program schedule. I didn't need a clock - everything happened at the same time every morning, including long running commercials such as the Greenfield one.

When I first moved to Fort Worth, there was a Mexican restaurant just southeast of Hwy 80 and Hwy 183 owned by the same family that owned Greenfield's Office Equipment. The restaurant was called Campo Verde - Spanish for "green fields." I only ate there once. The building is still there but something different is in it now.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#26 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (Dismuke @ Apr 15 2008, 02:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was: "Hey Mr. Greenfield, save that dough for me."

I heard that song pretty much every morning for the first I don't know how many years of getting read to go to school. My mother would always put the radio on KRLD for the news - and to this day, I still pretty much remember their morning news program schedule. I didn't need a clock - everything happened at the same time every morning, including long running commercials such as the Greenfield one.

When I first moved to Fort Worth, there was a Mexican restaurant just southeast of Hwy 80 and Hwy 183 owned by the same family that owned Greenfield's Office Equipment. The restaurant was called Campo Verde - Spanish for "green fields." I only ate there once. The building is still there but something different is in it now.

There's still a Campo Verde in Pantego/Dalworthington Gardens on 303...

#27 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

Hey, Mr. Greenfield, what you got for me?
I hear you offer real economy.
Need a desk, a chair, or a lamp that's bright?
Plus a few more things to make my office right.

Ain't it weird how a jingle will roll around in your head for decades? smile.gif I sang the El Fenix jingle to myself just last week!!!!
(BTW -- Greenfield's Office Furniture, across Lemmon Ave. from Love Field, closed years ago.)

I still remember all those TV commercials for Sidlinger Trampolines and Control Data Institute after all these years, too!

El Fenix...El Fenix...

1955....Better buy B&B Blind and drapery
B&B means better built for quality
Phone Jefferson 4-1773
Thats B&B Blind and Drapery

Someone please help me.....I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, but that inane jingle has been rattling around in my head for over 50 years.

#28 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:36 PM

I remember Reddy and most of his jingle, which was a standard for TESCO back when I was a kid. Amazingly, times have changed: back then, you were being encouraged to use electricity; now, you're being encouraged to save it.

#29 m lambert

m lambert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (AndyN @ Jan 2 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ReddyKilowatt.org

Seems ready is a registered trademark and was probably costing TESCO at least a few bucks per year in licensing fees. Current owner is Xcel Energy.

I worked for TEXCO in the 60s and I met the man that owned the ReddyKilowat trademark. Many of the pens are collecter item.
Maurice Lambert

#30 sumerlady

sumerlady

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:technology, computer, old homes

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

I'm a newbie to the forum but I sure feel old. Grew up on the east side a few blocks from ol' Reddy and saw him all the time. I even remember touring the plant with some group- maybe Camp Fire Girls or school. Walking around that original plant. I cannot even imagine them letting 8-9 year olds do that now. lol
East Side Girl

#31 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (sumerlady @ Jul 27 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a newbie to the forum but I sure feel old. Grew up on the east side a few blocks from ol' Reddy and saw him all the time. I even remember touring the plant with some group- maybe Camp Fire Girls or school. Walking around that original plant. I cannot even imagine them letting 8-9 year olds do that now. lol

Good to have another "East Sider" here...

#32 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:15 PM

Here is an actual photograph of Reddy Kilowatt on the Handley Power Plant. My father worked for TESCO and he snapped several photographs in and around the entire plant. I scanned this out of one of family photo albums. The date was March 13, 1970.

http://s609.photobuc...andleyPlant.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users