cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:16 PM

Source: http://fwweekly.com/...sp?article=4672

Excerpt:

Fernando Costa is a familiar sight at Fort Worth City Council meetings, giving presentations on one aspect or another of the city’s past, present, or future. As city planning director, he is the hub where many spokes on the city’s wheel connect. Whether the issue is zoning, road planning, or making commercial developments work, Costa is in the middle. On issues from Trinity River Vision to big ranches being subdivided for housing on Fort Worth’s ever-expanding edges to revitalizing older neighborhoods in Cowtown’s heart, his voice is perhaps the most influential in the city — Fort Worth’s “secret weapon,” as the mayor called him.

But the reality is that Costa actually avoids the limelight as often as he stands in it, usually letting lower-level staffers make the presentations. It’s not that he’s shy or trying to avoid any controversy, it’s just that he knows how the political game works. A veteran of the urban planning game — 13 years in Atlanta and nine more in Fort Worth — Costa knows that elected politicians look down on any city staffer who gets too big. Stay in the background, he has learned, and more work gets done.

Nonetheless, Costa was front and center at a recent meeting, on two apparently unrelated issues. One was a zoning fuss in Arlington Heights, just west of downtown. The other was a report from Vision North Texas, which Costa chairs. The regional planning board encourages government bodies across 13 Metroplex counties to work together on — you name it — road construction, housing growth, and where the jobs are going to be located.

For Costa, the two agenda items indeed were related. In fact, the reason he’s gotten so heavily involved in the long-term planning committee is that he sees everything as related.

Development on the outskirts of a city creates sprawl that is costly to everyone, he told the council, because it means infrastructure can never keep up with the needs. He champions urban infill, “urban villages” as he calls them — developments featuring the high-density and mixed-use buildings that used to make Fort Worth leaders cringe.

“What does what happens in Parker and Johnson counties have to do with Ryan Place?” Costa asked the council. “Everything. These issues are all interrelated.”

And then he gave them the big, scary numbers that explain why regional planning in North Texas is so vital. In the next quarter-century, he said, the numbers of households and jobs in the area will almost double from what they were in 2000. And if the cities don’t do something to limit urban sprawl, then the bill for the new roads needed to serve those ever-growing areas will be $45 billion. “Business as usual will not be successful or sustainable,” he warned.

It's a good article, very germane to the ongoing discussions that go on here. I'm glad to know we have someone as informed and capable as Costa working at City Hall.

#2 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:08 AM

Yeah, but the comment that surprised me the most is that he wants a light rail/modern streetcar system funded by City bonds, and I assume separate from the T. That's one way of getting past their inadequate sales tax rate. Interesting comments indeed.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#3 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

I think that's an intriguing way of getting around the low tax rate, but I'm having trouble imagining it working logistically to have a transit system separate from the T.
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#4 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:12 PM

I could see a municipal railway. Especially for a line that runs and services only parts of Fort Worth and not the entire T jurisdiction. I suppose it remains to be seen if and what the regional rail effort would do to accomplish the route that Mr. Costa envisions, but the T does not automatically earn stewardship of a city rail line.

#5 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:35 PM

After a little discussion, it sounds more like the idea is to construct the rail lines with city bonds, and then to hand the day-to-day operations over to the T.

#6 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:39 AM

For those who didn't read the full article, here is the paragraph we are talking about.

Through the years, as Costa has quietly pushed for changes to make Fort Worth more livable, he has done it with an eye toward the learning curve. He wants to nudge the city into a light-rail system — separate from The T and possibly funded by city bonds — but hasn’t pushed it hard because neither the public nor the politicians are quite on board yet. His mixed-use concept is also gaining momentum, but only after careful planning that planted it first on West Seventh Street and in the Hospital District. The key word here is planning, because that is what Costa does, and he does it in more ways than just helping figure out zoning and where the roads should run.

#7 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:33 AM

I hope he makes VICKERY more accesible along the I-30 area. More concentration of bus routes along FPark, like a number 6 route split off from VICKERY to FPark and route back to double duty on Univ. to Zoo, then PPlace and back on to FPark. Push for more police substation planning, near major highways and medical district, other possible points of interest.

To me his conversation sounds a bit like the "T" will not be bogged down with the efforts of light-rail, but a possible AMTRAK backed sub company willing to put an offer on the table. AMTRAK-Muni-Rail I would call it, The AMR. Incorporate 4 or 5 AMR lines in the next 7 years, all finishing at the ITC.

Q: Was this done in Atlanta?

Regional rail is what is surely in the works for nearby counties South, East and North. He can make it happen, but needs the authority.

If they can drudge manmade milelong islands in Dubai within 5years, then we can do this.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#8 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:44 AM

Wow, that's a lot of ideas in a little space. Don't know how to address some of them, but I'll take a swing at the Amtrak idea. That's a big, giant underfunded government agency. They do well to move their own equipment and passengers around, much less operate light rail for someone else.

The system he is planning for is a circulator type system to get people around neighborhoods and into destination areas after they get off the TRE.

#9 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:33 PM

I don't know whether Atlanta has a bond-funded rail line, but I know Portland has a good example. Once the rail lines were built, the day-to-day operations were taken over by the local transit authority.

#10 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Mar 15 2007, 12:44 PM) View Post

Wow, that's a lot of ideas in a little space. Don't know how to address some of them, but I'll take a swing at the Amtrak idea. That's a big, giant underfunded government agency. They do well to move their own equipment and passengers around, much less operate light rail for someone else.

The system he is planning for is a circulator type system to get people around neighborhoods and into destination areas after they get off the TRE.

Sounds good, but the current bus system ALREADY does a fine job of getting people to the destinations. You just have to get over the Principal Rooney stigma (Ferris Beuller's Day Off) of riding on the bus. Would be nice to have a light rail system along 7th and University to get to the TCU campus, Zoo, Bluebonnet Circle, Gardens, Museums, and Coliseums. Have it start from the 7th St. Bridge and into the major corridor. Do the same for the stockyards. Run those buses ina micro managed time frame, say every 15 minutes from 7 til 6pm.
www.iheartfw.com

#11 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:11 PM

As shocked as I am that FW Weekly is giving a glowing review to someone involved with city government, Fernando Costa totally deserves it. Great article! My prom date pointed it out to me while we were at lunch the other day...needless to say, she's pretty proud of her dad. smilewink.gif

#12 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:38 PM

needless to say, she's pretty proud of her dad.
smilewink.gif

You're WHO'S Daddy?

Atta kid. wink.gif

Big PLANS for your prom date?

Del Frisco?

Kincaids?

Maybe a sunset ride on the TRE or the Tarantula?

Kidding. Does she post?

You da man.
www.iheartfw.com

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:51 PM

Jonny, it is really interesting that it is a small world.

#14 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

If she's the daughter that works at Calloway's, mrs. ghughes says she is lovely and a very nice young lady. If not, well, she's from a great family.

I must echo the praise for Mr. Costa. Fernando is a great addition to this city: a true gentleman and a very smart person as well. We could use more of his example throughout our city's leadership.

#15 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:26 PM

I have wanted to comment on this article for a couple of weeks but I was waiting for a chance to reread the story and then Jonny comes along and endorses Mr. Costa by squiring his daughter to the prom. smile.gif

I found this very interesting because the Weekly doesn't have good things to say about the folks at city hall very often. He certainly had a lot of good ideas for neighborhoods and transit and zoning. The only thing I questioned was his comments about sprawl. I think he is right on in his thoughts but, the article said he has been on the job here 9 years.

In the last 9 years there has been an awful lot of sprawl going on at the same time DTFW has been undergoing a renaissance. I am inclined to give him a pass because, as the article states a city employee probably would get his head cut off if he challenged the politicians and big money people to often.

The thing is, I would guess that there may be more people living in Ft Worth outside of 820 than inside. If there aren't now there soon will be. I call that sprawl and a lot of that has happened in the last 10 years. Mr ghughes posted last year that the city had done a study and determined that it was going to cost $800 million (IFRC) to build the roads needed to serve the people in North Ft Worth. (I'm not talking about the area between the river and stockyards that the DT folks consider NFW) That figure kind of makes the TRV look like chump change. The TRV seems like it is counting on federal money to happen, where will the money come from for roads?

The city should look at building a new city hall somewhere around I35 and Heritage Trace because that is where the population center of the city will be in a few years. That would also help bring business and transportation to a big portion of the population as well as free up some valuable DT property back to the tax rolls for development smile.gif

I'm sure Mr. Costa has done good things for the city, I just wish he had been able to do even more.

#16 Redshirt

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I am and always will be a Texas resident. I was born and raised in Fort Worth. Currently, I am in the Air Force working on the CV-22 Osprey, supporting the Fort Worth economy by working on those Bell heliplanes. :) I am currently stationed at Hurlburt Field home of the Air Force Special Operations Command.

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:32 AM

I found this interesting article in the FW Business Press today. Seems as though FW may be headed in the right direction(up) now that it looks as though new residents would be almost forced outside of Fort Worth's city limits due to suburban sprawl. Here's a link.

The sky is the limit for city
BY JOHN-LAURENT TRONCHE
October 08, 2007
Fort Worth is looking up, instead of out.
That’s the direction the city of Fort Worth is taking as it continues its revitalization of the city’s center in order to curb continued suburban sprawl at Fort Worth’s edges.

Working with local developers, neighborhood associations and urban design experts near and far, the city planning department has identified 16 urban villages, or areas where a new approach to development is emerging: higher-density, mixed-use and mixed-income.

“Higher density, compact development is not the enemy of, but the friend of quality of life,” said David Rusk, an urban design authority who spoke Oct. 2 at Design for Density, a conference that tackled topics ranging from congestion to homelessness.

Higher-density development is a move away from five-lane streets and a car-centered society toward a pedestrian environment. This is achieved through a variety of means, conference participants said, including narrower streets, reduced speed limits and mixed-use developments, such as Montgomery Plaza and Museum Place.

The conference included about 20 speakers and panelists in order to provide the city and its residents an opportunity to explore Fort Worth’s development future.

“I think we can educate ourselves as a community about our rapid growth, the implications of it and accommodating it,” said Fernando Costa, the city’s planning director.

If federal census projections hold true, Fort Worth could grow from 687,000 people to 1 million people by 2030, which Costa said makes Fort Worth the fastest-growing city in the United States.

The move to revitalize the city’s center comes at a time when much of the city’s growth occurs outside of Loop 820 in the Keller, Crowley and Eagle Mountain-Saginaw independent school districts.

“Unless we change, it will be continued suburban sprawl on the outskirts of Fort Worth,” Costa said.

Despite being the 17th largest city in the country, Fort Worth is one of the most-sprawling and least dense cities in Texas, Costa said, averaging fewer than 2,000 people per square mile. By contrast, Denver, which is similar in both size and shape to Fort Worth, has almost twice as many people per square mile.

Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper, who spoke at Design for Density, said improving public transportation and lessening drive times is one way to increase density.

“The single biggest impediment to economic growth is congestion,” said Hickenlooper, who was instrumental in the about-face of Denver’s downtown from ghost town to boom town.

The 16 urban villages – which include West Seventh, Near East Side and Historic Handley – are in various stages of development. In just three years, West Seventh has been transformed from warehouses and small bars into an area full of construction and new

developments.

The collaborative efforts the city is taking provide a chance to hear fresh ideas and get feedback, Fort Worth Mayor Mike Moncrief said at the conference. Costa, who helped spearhead the urban-village concept in Fort Worth, agrees.

“I think people are going to want to find solutions that are good for business, good for the environment and good for the community,” Costa said.

All of this conversation shouldn’t exclude those already here, said Rusk, former mayor of Albuquerque, N.M., and there must be a balance of low, mid, and high income development, which Rusk said Fort Worth can achieve by working with builders ahead of time to establish “local rules of the game” when it comes to making profits.

“Anyone good enough to work here is good enough to live here,” he said.

Fort Worth’s goal is balancing economic opportunities and quality of life, Moncrief said.

Contact Tronche at jtronche@bizpress.net

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 08:45 PM

[Fernando Costa, City Planning Director, 2007]......Development on the outskirts of a city creates sprawl that is costly to everyone, he told the council, because it means infrastructure can never keep up with the needs. He champions urban infill, “urban villages” as he calls them — developments featuring the high-density and mixed-use buildings that used to make Fort Worth leaders cringe.

Two approaches to shaping the Future of Fort Worth:

#1 http://www.fortworth...7a9c55943f.html

or

#2 https://www.csmonito...e-where-to-live

I believe that approach #2 is the more practical approach of the two; and favor it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users