Photo
- - - - -

West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

University Drive River Plaza Redevelopment New Construction Mixed Use Retail Restaurants Trinity Trails

• Please log in to reply
540 replies to this topic

#51 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

Drove by yesterday and noticed that the Coming Soon: Anthrpologie & J. Crew boards are still up. Any activity over there???

#52 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:41 AM

nope weeds growing. Had dinner at Silver Fox Friday night took the opportunity to walk the construction fence. Weeds and a shell of building is all is going on there. I bet those retailers look at W7 or Musuem place if the project does not restart in the next year.

#53 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

Trademark Property News Release 7/7/09:

Trademark is now leasing its 5,200-6,000 sf omni building across from University Park Village in Fort Worth. The location is ideal for tenants looking for high visibility and high trafiic. There will also be a short term immediate access parking field.

This is from June 2009 and it shows Anthropologie and J. Crew...
http://www.trademark...estBendNews.pdf

#54 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:06 PM

Wishful thinking on the developer part in my two cents but who knows.

#55 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Any progress, as of lately? The parking garage is soon to be completed.

Should H&M open its first location in Texas, this time, at West Bend – rather than NorthPark or the Galleria (both in Dallas)?

#56 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

The parking garage is nowhere near complete. It hasn't been touched in well over a year.

#57 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE (JBB @ Apr 21 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It hasn't been touched in well over a year.

That's not true. I saw a homeless guy touching it just last week.

#58 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

They are about to get started on it again. They are talking to local builders to take it over.

#59 urbancowboy

urbancowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sustainable, Livable, Urbanism

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (sparq @ Apr 21 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any progress, as of lately? The parking garage is soon to be completed.

Should H&M open its first location in Texas, this time, at West Bend – rather than NorthPark or the Galleria (both in Dallas)?

Oh gosh, don't get me excited. This would be a great spot to open their first Texas store, it would definitely be an attraction.

#60 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

Much appreciated for the information, one way or another – I drive on University every now and then, though.

The so-called lifestyle center should also make an effort to bring CB2 (home-furnishing division catering toward young adults), a sister store of Crate & Barrel.

#61 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

What is H&M?

#62 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (AdamB @ Apr 22 2010, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is H&M?

It's like the Gap for Hipsters.

#63 urbancowboy

urbancowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sustainable, Livable, Urbanism

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (longhornz32 @ Apr 22 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AdamB @ Apr 22 2010, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is H&M?

It's like the Gap for Hipsters.

Not only that but I think they have the best selection for male under garments as well. Great prices too!

#64 tjh1

tjh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

Looks like Anthropologie has opted to open across the street at UPV instead of waiting for West Bend. The near 100% occupancy at UPV makes me confidant that the demand is there and West Bend will one day resume construction.

http://fwbusinesspre...ay.php?id=12451

Hot spot University Park adding leases, space despite retail woes
BY ALESHIA HOWE
April 26, 2010

The national retail industry may be hurting, but Fort Worth’s University Park Village isn’t feeling any pain as the property has just inked a lease with popular apparel, accessories and home décor retailer Anthropologie as well as a string of other leases, several set to open this fall.

According to Susan Holland, property manager for University Park Village via UCR Asset Services, Anthropologie has signed a lease to open this fall – backfilling some of the center’s space. The only other Tarrant location for Anthropologie is Southlake Town Center. Anthropologie first caused buzz among Fort Worth fans in 2008 when WestBend listed the retailer on its site plan of future tenants.

“When you look at the economy in Fort Worth and everywhere where other centers are struggling, we are pleased to be able to continue with providing our customers with new and exciting tenants,” Holland said. “It’s very exciting to be able to manage a property that’s flourishing.”

The lease is the latest in a series at University Park Village at 1612 S. University Drive, a 172,090-square-foot retail center. In the recent real estate downturn, the property has lost a few tenants, but Holland said others have been quick to backfill, leaving the center with two vacancies – and both of those spaces have Letters of Intent out currently.

“We’re projecting to be 100 percent leased,” she said. “And that’s just great.”

Just across the center, Yves Delorme, a fine linen store, is relocating into the former Liz Claiborne store space at the shopping center and bumping up its lease space from 1,600 square feet to 1,800 square feet. And Jos. A Bank has expanded from its 3,900-square-foot lease to 6,100 square feet. The newly expanded store opened March 7.

On the south side of the property, McKinley’s Fine Bakery & Café will increase its space by 1,000 square feet when it moves between Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma this fall. And Simple Things, a specialty furniture and home furnishings store, will pick up an additional 800 square feet with a pending lease. Holland said all of the stores increasing space have cited strong sales as the motivator behind the expansions.

“Movement is a good sign for us,” Holland said. “I know a lot of centers are having problems, but we’re doing fine. We’re doing great… This is the strength of our center – bringing one-of-a-kind retailers.”

Last year Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt opened in 1,200 square feet of space at University Park Shopping Center while a few retailers cut back space, including Luke’s Locker, which left the center to open a location at Montgomery Plaza on West Seventh Street, and Talbots gave back 4,059 square feet of space when it downsized. Even so, Holland said those space decreases have not been a backfilling disaster.

“We’re doing fine because of the strength of our tenants and we have great parking,” Holland said. “And location, location,

location. We continue to provide quality, one-of-a-kind service and we don’t just take anyone willing to sign a lease.”

In recent years, several shopping centers have come on line in direct competition with University Park Village including a smattering of mixed-use developments along West Seventh Street. Perhaps the greatest threat – the planned WestBend project just across University Drive from University Park – was shelved in 2009 mid-construction citing financing difficulties. Holland said University Park, though, is established enough to withstand any of the newer developments.

“Of course there are concerns when a new center comes up, the level of competitiveness, but in my opinion, a lot of new retail centers on Seventh are focused on the entertainment side of things and we are retail,” Holland said. “We’re established and we have solid tenants and that’s enough.”

Holland said she also tries to keep things fresh at University Park Village through charity events and – new this summer – a sidewalk sale and live concert in July.

“It gives our tenants a chance to really network together,” Holland said. “I asked them when they wanted to get rid of more of their merchandise and they all said July, so we’ll have a sidewalk sale with live music. It should be fun.”

#65 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

The latest info I have on this project is that a Smash Burger and a Zoe's Restaurant(not sure if spelled correctly) are now under construction. As for the parking lot, additional bids have been taken to complete, but still not sure on a time frame.

#66 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Big Frog II @ May 5 2010, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The latest info I have on this project is that a Smash Burger and a Zoe's Restaurant(not sure if spelled correctly) are now under construction. As for the parking lot, additional bids have been taken to complete, but still not sure on a time frame.

I'd never heard of Smash Burger, but seeing there is already one in Burleson, I'm not expecting much.

#67 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (txsloth @ May 5 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Big Frog II @ May 5 2010, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd never heard of Smash Burger, but seeing there is already one in Burleson, I'm not expecting much.

They are out of Denver. I have not had one either.

#68 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

Breaking News
Recession in rear view mirror?
Construction begins at WestBend – again

BY ALESHIA HOWE

Link: http://www.fwbusines...ay.php?id=12513

Edited by John T Roberts, 06 May 2010 - 07:47 PM.
Edited per new forum rules.

#69 ttomlin

ttomlin

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

From Fort Worth Business Press:

Recession in rear view mirror?
Construction begins at WestBend – again
BY ALESHIA HOWE
May 05, 2010

Link: http://www.fwbusines...ay.php?id=12513

Edited by John T Roberts, 06 May 2010 - 07:48 PM.
Edited per new forum rules.

#70 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

I have merged the two threads on West Bend which created the double post above this one.

#71 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

I was at my dentist this morning, who offices in the 70's era office buildings along the banks of the Trinity (the Merrimac Circle buildings). I was told his office will be moving in February, as the buildings were bought by Chesapeake Energy for, what...a gas well and maybe mixed use development? Apparently the Merrimac complex of buildings are set to be demolished once all the tenants vacate. Those buildings aren't architectural icons, but they're kind of funky and cool, solidly stuck in the 70's. I'll need to get some photos of them before they're gone forever.

#72 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

I ran into a friend of mine who works on that particular development (among other projects). He said they're getting closer to moving forward again on the deal, although it sounded like it would be kind of spotty.

#73 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

I was down by the Merrimac Circle office complex this afternoon and took some shots of one of the four buildings that make up the complex. These buildings sit just north of the West Bend development. This particular building has all the signs that it won't live much longer. Again, not the most architecturally stunning structure, but recorded here for Fort Worth history's sake:

#74 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:07 PM

I have read that this project is back on track, at least the parking garage.

#75 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:47 PM

I was down by the Merrimac Circle office complex this afternoon and took some shots of one of the four buildings that make up the complex. These buildings sit just north of the West Bend development. This particular building has all the signs that it won't live much longer. Again, not the most architecturally stunning structure, but recorded here for Fort Worth history's sake:

That always looked like a nice place to have an office. Like a "sleeper" area. I liked it when the Swiss House restaurant was there.

#76 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

From the Star-Telegram: University Drive garage project to resume

"Leasing efforts are ramping up at WestBend, and developers said they now hope to start building again in mid-2012."

#77 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:41 AM

They seem to pouring conrete on the garage this week. I guess back on track or at least restarting

#78 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

I go by there frequently, and I had not noticed the activity from University Drive. I'm glad they are starting back up on this project because most of the people that I know, have considered the unfinished garage an eyesore.

#79 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

A Raising Cane's is going in adjacent to the new Chase Bank Branch between the Ol South Pancake House and the Texaco Station. I saw the project sign today and it looks like they are staking out the building now.

#80 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

Raising Cane's has walls and the roof up. I believe that is the Chase location that is being staked out now.

#81 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

The Chase "Coming Soon" sign has been up longer, so I assumed that was the first building under construction. It's also hard to get a good look when you are driving down University Drive. I looked at a photograph of Raising Cane's restaurants and it appears that you are right and I had the buildings switched. The TDLR web site also confirms that construction for the restaurant was started before the bank.

#82 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

There is another Raising Cane's restaurant going up on Hulen across from Hulen Oaks Apartments (near Oakmont). I've never heard of this chain before...sure looks like they're entering our market with confidence.

#83 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

I think you have to. If you don't have enough locations to have their own district manager, the "orphan" locations are more likely to fail.

I've noticed activity from the Trinity Trail side... new construction fence with some work behind it.
My blog: Doohickie

#84 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Raising Cane's has several location in the North Dallas area. So expansion makes sense. I once read a quote from a retail consultant who said that you need about 10-12 locations throughout the metroplex to make any type of mass media advertising financially feasible.

#85 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

The Hurst Rasing Cane's opened a few weeks ago on the Lowe's paerking lot next to Rosa's... Have not tried it yet as I am trying to avoid fried food and I have been without a job going on eight months now :cry: but it looks crowded... http://www.raisingcanes.com/

#86 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

The Raising Cane's on University is now open, and the Hulen location has been open for about a week.

#87 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

High end grocery store going into West Bend. - will be on ground floor of a new 4 story building next to the river

http://www.star-tele...e-westbend.html

#88 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

Obituary for the original developer of River Plaza, Joe K. Dugger.

http://www.legacy.co...41846&fhid=4250

I knew him as the principal partner at the Merrimac Restaurant and Club, once the centerpiece of the River Plaza development but long gone. Willis McIntosh of the Carriage House and Mac's House was the operating partner there.

#89 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

Probably this building?

westbend-02.jpg

Link

Also- 5$ says it's a whole foods.

#90 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

I take it this is going where the small parking garage currently sits.  The site plan on their site is kind of confusing.

I would be surprised if it is Whole Foods.  That's a little more than half the size of their average new store size in 2012 (according to their website) and a thrid of the size of Central Market on Hulen.  I would expect their first store in FW and especially one in that area to be significantly larger than 20k square feet.

#91 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

The S-T article mentions initial plans for a low-profile Hyatt hotel.  Wonder why they dropped that from the project?  Seems to me a river-view location is ideal for a hotel.

#92 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Saturation maybe?  Between that area and the Midtown development, there are 5 hotels along those lines.  Not that another one couldn't do well, but I would assume they thought something else might do better in the same spot.

#93 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

A friend mentioned today that it will be a Whole Foods.  He helped complete the parking garage.

#94 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

You just got him fired.

(Oaky, probably not but anyway).... I've been wondering what's up there, as some of the old offices are boarded up.  I wondered if they were prepping them for renovation or demolition.

My blog: Doohickie

#95 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

I think those buildings are headed for demolition.  They have torn down some of the other buildings from that development over the last few years.

#96 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

A friend mentioned today that it will be a Whole Foods. 

About time. I've been writing them since the 80s. Seems like the only city in America without a Whole Foods is Fort Worth and I know damn well our demographics at least equal 10s, if not 100s of their current locations. They could put stores on S. Hulen and Alliance Town Center too and be very successful.

#97 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

I am hearing no it fresh market. http://www.thefreshmarket.com

#98 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

I am hearing no it fresh market.

IMO, Whole Foods is overrated; and way too pricey. 

I hope that you are correct; and if it true, then it would be Fresh Market's first Metroplex location and yet another first for Fort Worth ala, Central Market and Trader Joe's.

Fresh Market looks great!

#99 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

I noticed this morning that there's a construction fence going up along the part of the site that borders the trail.

#100 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

The article also stated that construction was to start in the first quarter of 2014, and it's here.  It's good to know they are getting the new year off and running.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: University Drive, River Plaza, Redevelopment, New Construction, Mixed Use, Retail, Restaurants, Trinity Trails

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users