• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

DFW Airport board may spend $1.2 million STUDYING if and how to build a premium international passenger lounge:

http://www.star-tele...12-million.html

Maybe it is just me, but isn't development and management of a club something that the individual airlines should be working on, not the airport board? There appear to be enough loose ends at DFW that need attention without spending $1,200,000 STUDYING a club. How much does it cost just to BUILD a club? This sounds like there may be some overlap in membership between the airport board and the TCC board...

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

More possible sleeping-at-the-stick tomfoolery at DFW airport, same newsday:

http://www.star-tele...t-increase.html

DFW is no doubt a great driver of the local and regional economy, but massive budgets leave the door open to massive goof-ups and even massive corruption. Might be a good idea to STUDY how to get better professional oversight of the budget and construction management processes at the airport.

#3 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

New parking garage for Terminal E:

http://www.star-tele...ew-parking.html

#4 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

Feds announce selective screening for ebola symptoms at 5 major airports; JFK, Newark, Dulles, Atlanta, and Chicago. 

http://www.star-tele...lness.html?rh=1

DFW is not included, even though the one US case thus far identified was brought in through here. The victim was not showing symptoms, so the heat (fever) scanner would not have flagged him, but there are several flights arriving daily originating from key connecting points from West Africa; primarily London and Paris. I would be surprised if Dallas city and county officials are not scrambling to get the additional screenings added here after the unavoidably negative press the unfortunate case of Thomas Duncan's infection and subsequent death brought.

It is very difficult to apply US standards of screening for boarding passengers in developing countries, but working with the UK and France to screen emplaning passengers from "Hot Zones" bound for the US would probably serve to protect North America from the virus as well as those shut in with any infected traveler during the transatlantic flight. This would not help address the relatively unregulated flights from West Africa to Brazil, where the chances for mass infection are probably much higher than here.

How much of this is an attempt to control potential for hysterical reaction by an uninformed public? I don't know. I have read and seen reports on the transmission modes and feel that the chances for mass epidemic in an industrialized country with a low poverty rate and modern health standards is probably pretty low. Viruses do mutate though, and I am sure that precautions being taken today are based on some level of confidence in that possibility resulting an a more easily spread version of ebola or another hemorrhagic fever.

#5 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

More DFW Airport stuff. Terminal remodeling, new Terminal F, lots of cargo, opportunities for exports, Black Eyed Peas at 36,000 feet...

http://fwbusinesspre...l-traffic-.aspx

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

Next-Gen project at DFW eliminates flight path overlap, reduces fuel load for planes, eliminates pollution, and helps on-time performance!

http://www.star-tele...nge-at-dfw.html

#7 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:30 PM

WOW! That is just the BONUS! Dow Airport CEO gets 25% bonus over nearly .5 M salary  :no:

http://www.star-tele...ives-large.html

#8 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

Seems like he's actually underpaid vs. your average CEO who runs a company of that size.

#9 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

Sinkhole forms next to DFW Airport runway:

http://www.star-tele...le22329858.html

Shifting soil, broken drainage pipe? Probably not a cave forming...

#10 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

DFW Airport is holding its own against the busiest airports in the world; ranked #9 in passengers and #4 in flights:

http://www.star-tele...le32960385.html

Atlanta handles a massive number of passenger each year, as does Beijing a far-second in passengers. Many of the daily flight operations at DFW are American Eagle planes that hold small numbers of passengers, compared to multiple wide-bodies and super-wide-bodies at many of the other higher-ranked airports. DFW would seem to be on a healthy trajectory to growth with room for expansion (Terminal F) and excess runway capacity. The continuing effort to attract South American and Asian flights will most likely result in a steadily growing connector market here, with a few more flights but many more passengers since the long-haul flights in both directions rely on large equipment. One development that could hurt the numbers at DFW would be the completion of the Dallas-Houston HSR link. AA at DFW and WN at DAL would still operate shuttles but fewer, freeing up planes for expanded frequency to other cities or new service to more distant cities not presently served. 

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:06 AM

.... One development that could hurt the numbers at DFW would be the completion of the Dallas-Houston HSR link. AA at DFW and WN at DAL would still operate shuttles but fewer,.....

Perhaps, AA will operate fewer shuttles to between DFW and Houston, but I doubt if WN will reduce the number of shuttles that it operates to it major hub, Houston. WN has not been reticent about its intention to vigorously compete and protect one of its legacy route.

#12 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:15 PM

In reading the posts elsewhere in the forums about HSR, it occurs to me that the DFW Airport Board should be thinking more proactively about accommodating rail in future projects... and not necessarily High Speed Rail.

The current model of rail for the big airport is bringing tracks in from the north, certainly no direct line from the centers of population in the area. The trains are going to terminate at different terminals, A for Dallas and B for Fort Worth. There is no service from the south where a significant part of the regional population lives and works and where much of the other transportation infrastructure is located. Recent rumors hint that a talked-about connector HSR line from Dallas to Fort Worth might somehow manage a stop at the airport.  

The point was made in another thread about how certain airports incorporate a centrally located rail station that can zip a traveller off to a city center or other, further destination; just a set of stairs or an elevator away. I think of Schiphol Airport, just south of Amsterdam, but also close to other cities such as Rotterdam, Den Haag, Utrecht, and several other cities and towns in the region, sort of a "Dutch Metroplex". Schiphol is the main international airport in the region, although there are other smaller commercial facilities such as at Rotterdam. Underneath the central terminal at Schiphol is a well designed train station that offers at least three types of service; a set of local-connector lines to surrounding cities, express trains to major centers, and high-speed Thalys providing links to Antwerp, Brussels, and Paris. High-speed to Germany is available at the Amsterdam Centraal Station to Germany and Switzerland via Utrecht. I note that a major airport can be a station on a HS rail line or feed into one at another station in the city, either way works. Another point is that HS rail does not exist in a vacuum; many other rail lines exist to complement and supplement the Thalys and Intercity Express HSR lines in the Netherlands. 

Back to DFW Airport. It is becoming apparent that the current renovation of Terminal A, built over 40 years ago and smack-full of asbestos, is taking too long and costing too much. Once this is finished work can move ahead on Terminal F. But in the meanwhile Terminal C, the last of the original passenger facilities not having been  revamped, is being left alone; no improvements of any kind, not even basic service upgrades and cosmetics. One conclusion is that AA wants a NEW Terminal C, which lies at the center of their domestic route system. It would seem to be easy and somewhat "cost effective" to "flip" the blueprints for Terminal D and just take out the international facilities. In any event, it seems that a new rather than rebuilt Terminal C would be one of the options considered when the time comes to do something about it.  

What I would propose DFW Airport Board consider if they spring for a new Terminal C, is to include provision for an underground full-service passenger rail station. Given the amount of excavation necessary for constructing the most recent Terminal (D) it should not add greatly to the cost of a new ground-up Terminal C, which sits in a central position among the other terminals, along with Terminal D. Even with the billion-dollar SKY-LINK system getting around from terminal to terminal is somewhat of a hassle, especially when the power fails or there is lightning in the sky. There are a couple of sky-bridges between D and C and between A and B but they are not centrally-located and few people use them. Building C as a central distribution point, from incoming trains at level 1, to local flights at level 2, and connecting flights in other terminals on level 3 with moving sidewalks or mini-trams or monorails going back and forth might help to make getting in and out and around the airport a more efficient experience, especially given the shorter connection times that are a part of AA's new schedule. There would be some kinks to work out as one would expect. For example, an underground station would not accommodate the planned diesel trains from Fort Worth very well unless extremely well ventilated. Perhaps these plans would not be ready until when the TEXRail operators would be ready to switch to electric. A station could be built with room for expansion, so that at some point in time other lines, maybe even HSR, could provide more convenient transportation options for residents and visitors to the area.

#13 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

(1)  - In reading the posts elsewhere in the forums about HSR, it occurs to me that the DFW Airport Board should be thinking more proactively about accommodating rail in future projects... and not necessarily High Speed Rail.

(2) - Back to DFW Airport. It is becoming apparent that the current renovation of Terminal A, built over 40 years ago and smack-full of asbestos, is taking too long and costing too much. Once this is finished work can move ahead on Terminal F.

(1) - I have come around slowly to the idea of rail of the transit type between Fort Worth and DFW.  It does seem to me, in context of the U.S., HSR, air service and the automobile compete more for  travellers than elsewhere in the world.  So, it is likely, that these modes of transportation shall remain largely independent of each other.

Some where earlier through a posting of mine, I suggested the following:

(2) - With the hotly debated talk about AA eventually wanting a new headquarter, I have suggested that the ideal location for that to occur is within DFW Airport.  A new Terminal F could serve as the domestic terminal for AA and once that is finished, Terminal A could be razed for the construction of new offices for AA.

#14 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:46 AM

HSR, air service and the automobile compete more for  travellers than elsewhere in the world.  So, it is likely, that these modes of transportation shall remain largely independent of each other.

I would think that they might be shared parts of point to point travel +last mile final destination.  Think of the whole travel process:  the "person" taking a vacation in an overseas location.  

-- uses their car to drive to the airport to catch a flight, then a local meet and greet van to get to the hotel.  Usage?  car, airplane, last mile public van.

or

-- uses their car or public van to drive to the high speed rail pickup point... then another car/van to get to their destination.  Usage?  car, HSR, last mile car/van

I would read your 'shall remain largely independent of each other'  as largely inter-dependent of each other.   In most aspects... one transport method depends on the usage of the other two methods to complete the persons needs.  Best of all of would be to simplify the transportation method mix to only one.  For short destinations, you guessed correctly at risk of time and money... the CAR.  With longer transport time and money are factors, its necessary to add in rail, bus, van, airplane oh and yes the HSR.  

I remember one of our corporate policies was to position our world wide offices within 45 minutes to 1 hour of an international airport.  Yes, we do a lot of coordination travel.  Telecommunications like Internet benefited us a lot in reducing transportation costs.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:14 AM

HSR, air service and the automobile compete more for  travellers than elsewhere in the world.  So, it is likely, that these modes of transportation shall remain largely independent of each other.

I would read your 'shall remain largely independent of each other'  as largely inter-dependent of each other.....

No actually I am suggesting that there will not be any alliances/partnering between the different modes like AA/BA created anytime soon or ever.  But then, I found that United Airlines partners with Amtrak in some places. so it can happen.

I am pretty sure that there will not be friendly skies and happy rails as both want and like the idea of not code sharing passengers.

#16 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:55 AM

DFW Airport adopts a new logo:

http://www.star-tele...le37169259.html

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

DFW Airport adopts a new logo:

"eek!"  Sean Donohue, Executive Director, and you paid what for this?

Why not better use those funds to award a competitive prize to a local preparatory schools to design a new logo?

#18 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:41 PM

$1.5 million for such an awkward ugly logo. <_<

My OCD is acting up. Letters aren't supposed to have random missing pieces.

-Dylan

#19 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

$1.5 million for such an awkward ugly logo. <_<

Honestly, not a single hint to either an airport, skies, or an airliner; except that the Orange Line (DART) connects to DFW.  Maybe, TEXRAIL should replace the Red-White-Blue with Orange-[White-Purple. Go TCU !] :swg:

#20 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

Here is a video advert for DFW Airport utilizing the range line" logo as a theme:

http://www.star-tele...le37200327.html

#21 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

Looks like a sixth terminal, Terminal F, may be coming sooner than later:

DMN: DFW Airport talking with airlines about new terminal

#22 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:05 AM

Here is the S-T version of the story Jimmy posted:

http://www.star-tele...le38927124.html

There is a little hint of the Terminal C problem. A renovation there could be done in blocks of gates such as has been done at the other other original terminals (inconvenient, expensive, potentially dangerous to passengers and employees) or once the new terminal is completed it could be gutted and redone all at once, or even demolished and a new and improved central terminal build on the site.

#23 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

I don't know how wise it would be to leave that one terminal in its current state for another half decade or longer while Terminal F is being planned and constructed, especially when the other terminals are in top notch shape and funding is in place to complete to makeover of C.

#24 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:30 AM

I don't know how wise it would be to leave that one terminal in its current state for another half decade or longer while Terminal F is being planned and constructed, especially when the other terminals are in top notch shape and funding is in place to complete to makeover of C.

I am sure that is being brought into the equation in the current negotiations. Terminals A and C constitute the center of the AA system hub, and having a shabby hub is not the best image for the biggest airline to have, especially when the adjoining building is newly renovated. There are certain inefficiencies with the semi-circular design of terminals today that did not necessarily exist when the original design of the airport was done, and I think that planners are probably struggling to mitigate some of that while working within the overall airport infrastructure. AA might settle for a "fresh coat of paint" for now though in order to have a world-class central-hub terminal a few years out... (psst DFW... don't forget a rail transit hub under that new terminal!) 

Unrelated, if Virgin America is not able to be satisfied with short facilities at Love Field, perhaps a new, shiny Terminal F they don't have to share with Spirit might be enough to bring their operation, with expanded service, back to DFW. Maybe the adjacent international facilities there could lure a daily Virgin Atlantic flight there to feed a US route network...

#25 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:04 PM

I typed that out and remembered I flew out of C about a year ago and I honestly didn't realize that it hasn't been renovated yet. It isn't in terrible condition as is. As for the abandoning the semi-circle design, I don't know that the layout of the taxi space and ramps gives them room to do anything other than the updated take on the semi-circle that they went with for D. (I've only flown into D one time and I'm far from a world traveler, but I'm not sure there's nicer terminal anywhere.)

I too would like to see Virgin return to DFW. An expanded Jet Blue presence would also be nice.

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:57 PM

There is a little hint of the Terminal C problem. A renovation there could be done in blocks of gates such as has been done at the other other original terminals (inconvenient, expensive, potentially dangerous to passengers and employees) or once the new terminal is completed it could be gutted and redone all at once, or even demolished and a new and improved central terminal build on the site.

Again, I am on the record somewhere suggesting that a new terminal C or F is an excellent opportunity to include new headquarters for AA and that it will eventually be seeking.

#27 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:43 PM

Again, I am on the record somewhere suggesting that a new terminal C or F is an excellent opportunity to include new headquarters for AA and that it will eventually be seeking.

The Airport Board owns the sites the terminals are built on, at Centerport AA owns the land and buildings. They might prefer to be owners rather than renters, especially if it is a long-term occupancy. Also, above the terminals would be one of the noisiest locations in town for a corporate office. Parking is expensive right out front, and employee lots are packed during prime business travel time. There are height restrictions on buildings inside the airport due to the need for ground traffic control of airplanes via three towers. Employees coming and going, lots of employees, would surely exacerbate an already crowded concourse/lobby area, even if corporate entrances were on the unsecured side. Security would be more of a concern at the airport itself as compared to an off-site campus or office building(s) that the company could have more direct control over. AA already has many offices inside the airport terminals, including flight operations, passenger services, and up the food chain to a VP or managing Director for the AA DFW Airport Hub Operations. Might having the Chairman and President breathing down his neck from offices upstairs would make a difficult job a little less enjoyable? 

My guess, given these considerations, is that neither AA, DFW Airport Board, nor the AA Hub VP would be terribly enthusiastic about having corporate offices set up over one of the main airport terminals there. Chrysler, Ford, and GM don't have their offices above auto factories. BNSF's offices don't even have rail connections. The airport probably operates best when left to specialize in moving people from one place to another, and offices probably do best by providing comfortable and convenient places for employees to carry on their specialized work and for leaders to make decisions that affect everyone else. 

#28 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

While the previous post laid out a number of things for consideration, those same considerations form a compelling set of reasons for AA and DFW to continue their uniquely strong bond to one another by joining together in an owner/leasee project.

A couple of examples come to mind -

Southwest Airlines HQ in Love Field - https://www.google.c...27d37ac9ded805a

Hotels in DFW - https://www.dfwairpo...hyatt/index.php

#29 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:37 AM

If AA were to build a headquarters on airport-owned property, which I don't think is a terrible idea, it would make much more sense to do so on some of the thousands of acres of unused space that the airport has sought to develop in recent years. The idea of 20,000 more employees moving in and out of the terminal area on top of the existing (and growing) passenger traffic does not sound terribly feasible to me.

I also would wonder how this does anything for Fort Worth. Moving it onto airport property would be no different than it moving to Irving or Dallas.

#30 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:49 AM

(1)  The idea of 20,000 more employees moving in and out of the terminal area on top of the existing (and growing) passenger traffic does not sound terribly feasible to me.

(2) I also would wonder how this does anything for Fort Worth. Moving it onto airport property would be no different than it moving to Irving or Dallas.

(1) Existing employee forces are already separated form passenger traffic. Employees have designated parking areas.   DART and TexRail can become a good option for many commuters.

(2) DFW was developed as a compromise between the two cities; and would certainly be viewed in a better light then if AA was to relocate to either Dallas or Irving. Fort Worth has always held a stronger attachment to DFW than its partner.  I think too that AA will still retain domicile in Fort Worth, but how that legal status is retained is an area that I have no expertise. 

Another advantage to AA in DFW is that the taxpayers will not be asked to give tax incentives to AA.  DFW can spread the cost to the airlines, passengers, federal and state and other users of the airport; and, to of course, AA itself.

#31 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

AA HQ at DFW airport would not be a FW company anymore.  The have a DFW airport zipcode or one of the surrounding cities zipcodes that isn't FW.

And yes, before you come back and say FW jointly owns DFW, being HQ there would negate the FW company listing.

#32 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

I've got it! AA can build their headquarters at JRB Carswell.

#33 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

AA HQ at DFW airport would not be a FW company anymore.  The have a DFW airport zipcode or one of the surrounding cities zipcodes that isn't FW.

And yes, before you come back and say FW jointly owns DFW, being HQ there would negate the FW company listing.

Just change the zip code to begin with a 75--- and presto.....

A dream come true giving those who have been anxious to say that AA needs an upgrade in its "looks".  AA will no longer be stuck in Fort Worth; and this will result in building its image...and so on.

Lets never miss the opportunity to minimize Fort Worth.

#34 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

Name your poison! DFW Airport making administrative plans to replace Pepsi with Coca Cola products: Hefty decision...

http://www.star-tele...le57971208.html

#35 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

DFW Airport to track cell phones using the free wi-fi network in order to generate real-time estimates of security checkpoint lines:

http://www.star-tele...le80970317.html

Good idea, but from the beginning a misunderstanding of the TSA logistical setup points to a missed opportunity to help passengers. The TSA does not really have the slack in personnel available to just "move officers around" on a daily basis. The better use of this sort of system would be to direct passengers to checkpoints where the wait is less than at other checkpoints. Once through the alternative checkpoint, better signage is needed to direct those passengers back to where they need to be to board their planes. A consumer app is going to be needed from the beginning to make this program truly beneficial for the average traveler.

#36 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

I agree that the TSA lacks flexibility to move staff around, but do travelers have the flexibility to move to a different checkpoint to make such an app truly beneficial? Each of the renovated/modernized terminals only has 3 security checkpoints. Since you're typically married to the terminal you're departing from, that only gives you 2 alternatives if your first checkpoint is backed up. If a flight is leaving from a gate number in the high 20s, would the average traveler have the time or the knowledge of the geography of the terminals to go through the checkpoint near the single digit gates and hike around the whole terminal?

I tell people time and again. We have a true gem of an airport in DFW with it's spread out construction and variety of security checkpoints. The most recent airport I traveled through was Orlando. Two checkpoints for the entire airport and you're stuck with the one that feeds your particular set of gates.

#37 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

Part of the money that American is spending to help the security lines is to do exactly what is being suggested.  American employees can't help move people through the checkpoint, but they can help direct people to ones with shorter lines and some other things to help people get through faster.  In addition, they can help transport the bins so that a TSA employee can actually do the job of screening people and not shuffle bins back and forth.

#38 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:54 PM

I tell people time and again. We have a true gem of an airport in DFW with it's spread out construction and variety of security checkpoints. The most recent airport I traveled through was Orlando. Two checkpoints for the entire airport and you're stuck with the one that feeds your particular set of gates.

Agree completely. I travel professionally and get to experience the best and worst of security checkpoints and airport layouts. DFW is without a doubt one of the best airports in the US from a passenger standpoint. MCO, DEN, PIT, IAD- a bunch of horrible passenger nightmares. But TSA loves them since they only have to staff a single checkpoint.

#39 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

DFW Airport leads the way in environmental responsibility:

https://eponline.com...ship-award.aspx

http://www.star-tele...le93694402.html

#40 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

Update on terminal renovations and future expansion:

http://www.star-tele...e128938984.html

#41 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

DFW tops in customer service:

http://www.star-tele...e136746073.html

#42 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

DFW is planning to spend $400 million on infrastructure projects:

http://www.star-tele...e153906774.html

#43 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

DFW's busiest runway is getting a $52 million makeover in 2018:

http://www.star-tele...e186840903.html

#44 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

Heard on the local news this morning that there's nothing wrong with the current runway, but they want to prevent issues from developing in the future.

Seems like a waste of money to me.

-Dylan

#45 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

Yeah, I am wondering why the runways, which have already been extended in the past,  now need extending again; but it appears that what is being done is a rehabilitation of the existing runway to make it more durable.

#46 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:52 AM

Heard on the local news this morning that there's nothing wrong with the current runway, but they want to prevent issues from developing in the future.

DFW Airport generates a lot of money to waste.

#47 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:44 AM

Seems like all airports are like this. Never-ending source of business for the concrete industry.

#48 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:51 AM

Heard on the local news this morning that there's nothing wrong with the current runway, but they want to prevent issues from developing in the future......Seems like a waste of money to me.

Seems like all airports are like this. Never-ending source of business for the concrete industry.

If it is maintenance, as what seems to be the take from the report, then it is a prudent investment.  The concrete runways take an enormous amount of wear and tear from continuous take offs and landings 365 days per year.

#49 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

How are you supposed to get rid of those skid marks if you don’t replace the concrete. Shiny white runways should lower the temps at the airport.

#50 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

Color me impressed that a government body actually recognizes that they need to perform and set aside money for preventative maintenance on a heavily used piece of infrastructure. They typically wait until things are in such bad shape that they're a safety risk and no money is available for anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users