• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:00 PM

Here's a lifelong mystery I'm hoping someone here in the group could clear up for me.

There is a large, nice-looking house on S. University Drive, on the east side of the street, very close to the Fort Worth Zoo. There are no other houses near it. Log Cabin Village is across the street. It is north of Park Hill but south of Colonial.
It has a roll-in/roll-out driveway in front, and some sort of name/logo hanging on the front. I've never been able to read that logo and I presume it's a private residence. It *could* be a business, I suppose, but if that's the case they could do with some better signage.

This house has always been there, as long as I've been around, so it must have been constructed sometime before the early 1970s.

Anyone have any idea whose house this is? Just curious. Thanks!

#2 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:05 AM

Is it that 50's modern house? I think the lettering is Rae or Rhea [something] Photography, I think it was the home and studio of a portrait photographer active in the 50's -60's. I've found that house fascinating all my life--so conspicuously modern. A bit farther north of it was a house with its own tennis court. From University, you couldn't see the house, just the court. I remember being impressed as a kid in the 60's, then watching the court get overgrown and derelict from the 70' on.

#3 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:12 AM

Never mind. I just re-read your directions. I'm thinking of something farther south. Embarrassed now redface.gif

#4 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:49 AM

I was a little concerned about violating rules, but since it is a photo studio and commercial use (at least in part) it seems like that is not a problem. The Tarrant Appraisal District has it listed as "interim" use. I think the stuido is call Rhea-Engver now.

From Board Guidelines and Rules:

10. Please do not post threads that tie individuals to specific residential addresses. Please respect other citizen's privacy. They may not want their residence location posted for everyone to see. Even if the name and address have been published in a recent news story, this news story will not be discussed in the forum if there is a direct reference to the residential location to the owner. Posting of links to satellite images or the images itself on the forum that tie and individual to their home addresses will be prohibited. Immediate deletion of the image, link, or thread will result.

May the forum moderators help me if I have erred.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#5 mnmassie

mnmassie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:14 PM

It's actually "Rhea - Engert Photography." They've photographed some of my weddings before. Really nice people and great photographers.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

Since the house is primarily used as a business, I would say this thread could stay. However, if anyone asks about a private residence, the thread would be deleted. Again, everyone on this forum should read the Forum Rules and Guidelines periodically to refresh their memories.

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

I heard an odd rumor about this property recently.  At some point in the last couple of years, a developer was trying to purchase the lot with the intent of building boutique or loft apartments, but they backed out because of resistance from the neighborhood.  That would have been interesting to watch, given the unique size and topography of the property. 

#8 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

It's actually "Rhea - Engert Photography." They've photographed some of my weddings before. Really nice people and great photographers.

How many weddings have you had?

#9 mnmassie

mnmassie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

How many weddings have you had?

Countless. 

a.k.a. - Once upon a time I was a wedding planner.

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:18 AM

I noticed a couple of months ago that there was an advertisement for a developer on this lot showing a site plan with what looked like 6-7 lots. The existing house was demolished last week.

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

I should have posted the demolition.  I saw that it had come down last week, also.  Although the house was interesting, it was not landmarked; therefore, only a demolition permit was needed.

#12 Bill Sievers

Bill Sievers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Location:Natick, Mass. (1955 to 1964 Westcliff and South Hills)

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

Say it isn't so!  I always admired that house.  It was so '50's modern!  I always imagined what it must have been like on the inside. . . somewhat dim lighting on a hot summer day with ice-cold air-conditioning inside.  I believe Rhea Engert was the premier wedding photographer in Fort Worth as I recall.

It's sad to see another local neighborhood landmark being erased away.

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

We are rapidly losing our unprotected buildings. 

#14 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:02 AM

Our heritage is the plaything of men who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:57 PM

Did anyone get any photographs beforehand?

#16 austlar1

austlar1

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

I'm late to this thread, but I can add some information about the home and photography studio that used to be on this site. It was known as the Rhea Engert Photo Studio. The Engert family lived on the premises in what was basically a typical mid century modern home. I went to school with a boy named Kurt Engert. His dad was the photographer in question. Rhea Engert did lots of formal portaits, wedding pictures, etc. His photos were beautifully lit, quite polished, and sometimes dramatic looking. The house/studio used to have a driveway or easement that went up the hillside to Winton Terrace West.  When I was a kid, the Connor family and the Alexander family (Alcon Labs) had homes on each side of this driveway facing on Winton Terrace West. I think the easement was there because the entire parcel was once home to the original Fort Worth Children's Hospital which operated at that location from the 1920s until the early 1950s. The easement made for a handy short cut down to University Drive for residents (well, teenagers mostly who were just starting to drive) of Park Hill.

#17 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:36 PM

20095957.jpgHow it looked when new: 

#18 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:39 AM

69f25079dfb4eb5cfa2a42304c759bd0.jpg

My blog: Doohickie

#19 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:33 AM

Our heritage is the plaything of men who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Does it still stands?

I hope, if so, that it will be with us for many years to come.

#20 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

From 2015. The lot is still vacant. I think it has been used for Colonial tournament parking, but not in a few years.

The existing house was demolished last week.

#21 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:13 PM

From 2015. The lot is still vacant. I think it has been used for Colonial tournament parking, but not in a few years.

The existing house was demolished last week.

Geez! Such sadness to hear that it was demolished.

#22 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:21 AM

Why won't it do this anymore when I post a link?

It never did it automatically on this forum, although some other forums it does. 

In the editing window select the little icon of a picture (below the smiley icon) and past the web address of the picture into that.  When you mouse over the icon it says "image"

#23 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 11:25 AM

Here's the last Google street view of the building from July, 2014.

#24 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:30 PM

Never mind. I just re-read your directions. I'm thinking of something farther south. Embarrassed now redface.gif

Actually this was what Birdland was thinking about. Too bad she never comes around anymore.

#25 fwfan

fwfan

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:00 PM

I found this site when I came across some of my Mom's wedding portraits from late 1954 that were done by

Rhea Engert. It appears that they were still in business in the 2000's at least and that the house was still

standing in 2014. I guess the pics that I have were taken at this studio. It is sad that the house/studio is

now gone after lasting for over 60 years.

#26 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:20 PM

I will agree that it is sad the house/studio was demolished.  Another unfortunate thing is that nothing has been built in its place.

#27 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:50 AM

I noticed the other day that there are a number of old growth trees marked on this property.  It appears a familiar commercial developer owns the land.  I'm not yet sure what is planned here but my guess would be these trees are slated for removal to building something new.  Not having any luck finding Development or Planning permits.

Owner: Cowtown 109 LLC (tied to same group doing the Davis / Stonegate MansionWest Bend Development and Stockyards North)

TAD: https://www.tad.org/...hp?pin=02127555

Sales Flyer: https://s3.amazonaws...yflyer-2022.pdf

zJwf7Yr.png

Site: 2401 S. University

IYTLIUd.png

Marked Trees:

EPygbF4.png

rT3VB6x.png

#28 bryanr

bryanr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 08:05 PM

Here's the last Google street view of the building from July, 2014.

Trying to add the right view for the old picture.

https://www.google.c...i6656?entry=ttu

Paschal Class of 1976

#29 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 08:20 PM

I'm a bit surprised the Zoo doesn't own this land. I wonder if they've ever tried to purchase it.

#30 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:01 PM

A developer bought the property when the house was still standing.  They had plans to subdivide those two lots.  I don't know if the zoo ever tried to buy the land. 

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:04 PM

The lot was packed with cars during the golf tournament last week.  I bet they made a fortune.

#32 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 11:24 AM

I noticed the other day that there are a number of old growth trees marked on this property.  It appears a familiar commercial developer owns the land.  I'm not yet sure what is planned here but my guess would be these trees are slated for removal to building something new.  Not having any luck finding Development or Planning permits.

Owner: Cowtown 109 LLC (tied to same group doing the Davis / Stonegate MansionWest Bend Development and Stockyards North)

TAD: https://www.tad.org/...hp?pin=02127555

Sales Flyer: https://s3.amazonaws...yflyer-2022.pdf

zJwf7Yr.png

Site: 2401 S. University

IYTLIUd.png

Marked Trees:

EPygbF4.png

rT3VB6x.png

New Zoning Change filed for the Cowtown 109 site: 

Record ZC-23-092: 
Zoning Change
Record Status: Applied

Work Location
2401 S university DR

Applicant:
Michael Bennett

Owner:
Cowtown 109, LLC *
1635 rogers road
fort worth TX 76107

GENERAL INFORMATION
Acres:1.98

Project Description:
2401 S University Dr
Proposed change from A-5 zoning to E: residential commercial
The project will consist of a new office building and associated parking at 2401 South University Drive. The site is currently zone A-5 Single Family, however, the most recent long-time use of the site was a commercial photography studio and not single family. Traffic noise from South University Drive makes it highly unlikely that this site could ever be successfully developed as non-rental single family as intended in the original, existing zoning. Just to the north of this site is an existing area of ‘E’ Neighborhood Commercial where a small historic building currently houses primarily office use (financial advisors, interior designers), along with some small retail spaces. We believe this center proves the compatibility of office use with the surrounding neighborhoods, especially considering that the office space will be used during the daytime hours and will be vacant in the evenings when the adjacent residents are home. The design of the building and the site plan are also designed with consideration of compatibility with the adjacent neighbors. While the proposed zoning is ‘E’ Neighborhood Commercial, the building’s proposed height is measured as 35’ which complies with the existing A-5 Single Family Zoning. Due to the site’s topography, the top of the building will be below the elevation of the residential lots above, preserving the homeowner’s backyard privacy. In addition, the building and parking lots have been sited to preserve all of the existing trees upslope of the building, preserving the existing views.

#33 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 05:03 AM

Star-Telegram reports on 2401 University,
New development is proposed near a quiet Fort Worth neighborhood. Its not for houses

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 04:00 PM

From Zoning Docket. Staff reccomends denial. I suspect this will be a tough sell. 

All the immediate land uses are residential except for a small commercial node to the south located at Park Hill and University.  Access to the proposed office complex is off of University, an arterial road.  Although the size of the property would allow future subdivision (or single lot) for residential purposes, alternative access would need to be evaluated to prevent direct residential access onto an arterial roadway (University).     Uses allowed in “E” neighborhood Commercial districts are intended to serve single-family residences nearby. These typically develop as “commercial nodes” located along a local or another local or collector street.  Unlike the commercial area to the south, the subject site is surrounded by single family residential and is not sited on a hard corner or intersection.   The general layout of this site is not compatible with surrounding land uses.  

The 2022 Comprehensive Plan currently designates the subject property as future Single-Family Residential. This land use designation includes zoning districts “A-5”, “A-7.5”, “A-10”, and “AR”. Duplex or “B” Two-Family zoning would be classified as Low Density Residential under the adopted Future Land Use Plan. The difference between Single Family Residential and Low Density Residential is negligible as both have a residential character. A duplex would be slightly more intense than a single-family residence, but both would be less intense uses than commercial or industrial zoning. The proposed zoning is not in alignment with the following policies of the Comprehensive Plan:  • Encourage infill development of compatible, single-family homes in existing neighborhoods to preserve and protect residential neighborhoods.  • Encourage small-lot single-family zoning districts (i.e. AR and A-5) on the periphery of mixed-use growth centers (TCU), where the City seeks to concentrate employment and public services. The proposed zoning is not consistent with the Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use designation. The proposed zoning is not consistent with the Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use designation.

aeJykTD.png

MKQjqDk.png

#35 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 07 July 2023 - 04:10 PM

It would be no fun to pull into the north parking lot and find there were no spaces, and have to make your way back to the south parking lot.

For that matter, it is the kind of location that if those parking spaces are full, there are not a lot of options to get to the building.  Even ride share drop-off is not fun in that location.

#36 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 06:42 PM

It would be no fun to pull into the north parking lot and find there were no spaces, and have to make your way back to the south parking lot.

For that matter, it is the kind of location that if those parking spaces are full, there are not a lot of options to get to the building.  Even ride share drop-off is not fun in that location.

This parking lot set-up looks like a nightmare.  I feel bad for any delivery person (UPS / FedEx / Amazon).

#37 TLA

TLA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 07:32 AM

This parking lot set-up looks like a nightmare.  I feel bad for any delivery person (UPS / FedEx / Amazon).

Reminds me last week on W7th/Henderson there was an Amazon Driver that stopped on W 7th for a delivery rather than pulling into the Firestone Apartments.

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 05:38 PM

The Bennet Partners website has a couple more views of the conceptual nature of this project: https://bennett.part...iversity-drive/

3dvqC5d.jpg

LTI6WTk.jpg

#39 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 06:09 PM

Too bad they didnt flesh out the elevations a bit more. Would be cool if they did a Prairie School style design on this site.

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 10:40 PM

Zoning case was continued 30 days.

#41 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members