#201 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

Nope.

I am referring to a new arena that is being proposed to replace Will Rogers Coliseum.

So you have no idea about the Convention Center portion of this conversation? Or is it true to what "Jeriat" is stating?

Yeah, I'm the one who was talking about the CC getting rid of the arena for convention space.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#202 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

It's a decent venue for the events I've been to (high school graduations, circus, etc.), but from the outside, the "space ship" is totally incongruous with the rest of downtown, a combination of art deco and glass slabs. The curvy, mid-20th century vision of the future just doesn't match the future that is today.

That, and the fact that it's just waaaaaay too small for a city our size.

I know Fort Worth wont be getting an NBA franchise anytime soon, but the current CC arena isn't even good enough to hold WWE. You KNOW it's too small when you can't even get wrestling.

7fwPZnE.png

#203 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

Wow that is so interesting

#204 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

The selling of the Texas Brahmas, soon to be Fort Worth Brahmas, has finalized. The new owner of the minor league hockey team wants to move back into Will Rogers Coliseum. Moving from a facility of less than 2000 seats into one with almost 6000 seats satisfies their need, or in other words, it's big enough for them. Why build something bigger?
But Will Rogers needs a brand new ice plant, the old was isn't working well, and while getting one a general renovation as well. So, Fort Worth is about to spend $Millions on Will Rogers soon. How wise will it be to tear it down just after spending a small fortune fixing it? It's difficult to tear anything down when it has a tenant.

#205 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

A Hockey team back in the coliseum would be good for the Will Rogers Center. The rumors of a new arena in the complex spell the need to begin looking for an anchor event or team for the old WR Arena in order to generate funds to keep it going. Since there is no longer an ice rink downtown it seems reasonable that the WR rink could be used for public skating and amateur team practice during the hockey season when the Brahmas are not playing; this could help to defray the cost of installing the updated refrigeration equipment. Having ice-making equipment in two (or three) publicly owned venues seems wasteful; is the plant used at the downtown arena able to be used to replace the WR equipment? It would be wise to start looking for another event series or two to keep the arena busy during the time when hockey is out of season.

#206 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

The selling of the Texas Brahmas, soon to be Fort Worth Brahmas, has finalized. The new owner of the minor league hockey team wants to move back into Will Rogers Coliseum. Moving from a facility of less than 2000 seats into one with almost 6000 seats satisfies their need, or in other words, it's big enough for them. Why build something bigger?
But Will Rogers needs a brand new ice plant, the old was isn't working well, and while getting one a general renovation as well. So, Fort Worth is about to spend $Millions on Will Rogers soon. How wise will it be to tear it down just after spending a small fortune fixing it? It's difficult to tear anything down when it has a tenant.

Because it would be better to have an arena big (and modern) enough to hold MORE events than just minor league hockey games....

Sure WRC is good enough for for the Brahmas right now. No one's asking to build the next American Airlines Center just for them. But down the road, do we really just have to settle for the Coliseum? I exclude the Convention Center arena mainly because I know it wont be around forever.

7fwPZnE.png

#207 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Drove on Montgomery St. on yesterday and I saw alot dirt moving, etc. Could this be the spot of the New Will Rogers Arena? or another parking area?

#208 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

They are tearing down the large white warehouse, Lockheed Used?

#209 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

It was the old TESCO building, then Lockheed offices and cubicles.

Are there plans to remove the heat treat business?

#210 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:27 AM

New arena on horizon

By Anna M. Tinsley
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
FORT WORTH -

"There is the dream of a new arena," said City Councilman John Stevenson, whose district includes the area. "But that will require a lot of private support and public support, and that hasn't been resolved yet."

A 1990 master plan for the Cultural District calls for construction of a $120 million, 12,000-seat arena and a $30 million livestock and equestrian building.

For years, officials and community leaders have discussed the possibility of funding and building a new arena, which has been a priority of the Fort Worth Stock Show and its chairman, businessman Ed Bass....."We love the old Will Rogers Coliseum for its history and tradition, but it's truly become inadequate and outdated," Bass said in a written statement. "A new arena will give us capacity, convenience and amenities on par with the 21st century."....The arena would likely be funded with a combination of public and private money -- perhaps as much as half from the private sector, Bass said.

For now, the city is focusing on making room for a new arena.

"The city is taking positive steps to position the infrastructure and site for a future arena," Bass wrote in his statement.

This is very likely to happen.  Realignment has been completed and demolitions are beginning to happen.  Will Rogers Memorial Complex (WRMC) is a very special place for many if not all of us.  Even though it is unlikely that the city can afford the upkeep of the coliseum, I hope that the auditorium and of course, the tower will be saved.  It would seem to me that what the cultural district lacks is a plaza or a square; and the site of the old arena could be developed into a “Sundance Square Plaza West” with the tower becoming its most prominent feature. 

We know very well now that Mr. Bass knows how to build a public square; and a great city can never have too many public spaces.

#211 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

New arena on horizon

By Anna M. Tinsley
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
FORT WORTH -

"There is the dream of a new arena," said City Councilman John Stevenson, whose district includes the area. "But that will require a lot of private support and public support, and that hasn't been resolved yet."

A 1990 master plan for the Cultural District calls for construction of a $120 million, 12,000-seat arena and a $30 million livestock and equestrian building.

For years, officials and community leaders have discussed the possibility of funding and building a new arena, which has been a priority of the Fort Worth Stock Show and its chairman, businessman Ed Bass....."We love the old Will Rogers Coliseum for its history and tradition, but it's truly become inadequate and outdated," Bass said in a written statement. "A new arena will give us capacity, convenience and amenities on par with the 21st century."....The arena would likely be funded with a combination of public and private money -- perhaps as much as half from the private sector, Bass said.

For now, the city is focusing on making room for a new arena.

"The city is taking positive steps to position the infrastructure and site for a future arena," Bass wrote in his statement.

This is very likely to happen.  Realignment has been completed and demolitions are beginning to happen.  Will Rogers Memorial Complex (WRMC) is a very special place for many if not all of us.  Even though it is unlikely that the city can afford the upkeep of the coliseum, I hope that the auditorium and of course, the tower will be saved.  It would seem to me that what the cultural district lacks is a plaza or a square; and the site of the old arena could be developed into a “Sundance Square Plaza West” with the tower becoming its most prominent feature. 

We know very well now that Mr. Bass knows how to build a public square; and a great city can never have too many public spaces.

As far as I know there are absolutely no plans to demolish the existing coliseum just because a new arena is being built.  It can still be used for other/smaller events.

Public plazas are effective when there is a built-up urban context for them to play off of - that's why Sundance's works so well:  it's fully activated by its surroundings.  There's not much of a surroundings at WRMC for a plaza to be nearly as effective - the tower and auditorium are dead & closed the majority of the year, and the other sides are parking lots.  A "great city"'s public places are the streets and plazas/squares/etc. that are fully woven into the fabric of the city where people want to be.  Where you'd really get an active and lively plaza is in the places people want to be regardless of whether there is an event or not, i.e. 7th Street developments.

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#212 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

It would seem to me that what the cultural district lacks is a plaza or a square; and the site of the old arena could be developed into a “Sundance Square Plaza West” with the tower becoming its most prominent feature. 

As far as I know there are absolutely no plans to demolish the existing coliseum just because a new arena is being built.  It can still be used for other/smaller events.

Public plazas are effective when there is a built-up urban context for them to play off of - that's why Sundance's works so well: .... There's not much of a surroundings at WRMC for a plaza to be nearly as effective - the tower and auditorium are dead & closed the majority of the year, and the other sides are parking lots. ..where you'd really get an active and lively plaza is in the places people want to be regardless of whether there is an event or not, i.e. 7th Street developments.

So I would agree with some of what you say, but not all. 

As Dallas’ Reunion Arena was to its new arena (AAC), the success of the new arena was greatly enhanced and therefore ensured by maximizing the amount of event dates at the new arena.  This meant that the Reunion Arena could not be allowed to compete with the new arena and would become a financial liability for Dallas.  Ultimately, Reunion was and had to be demolished. Other cities have made similar determinations.

As for a plaza in the cultural district, it would have its own synenergy and would be different than Sundance Square Plaza (SSP) as it does not need to be commercially driven as is SSP.   It could be similar in character as are Dallas’ Fair Park or Dallas’ Art District Plaza.

The WRMC Tower, the auditorium, Casa Manana, Farrington Field and the new Fort Worth School for Art are sufficient developments already in place to bring people to a plaza.  This does not even factor in the museums, Museum Place, West 7th/Lancaster/Foch Area, UNT Health Center, and hotels that are planned for cultural district; nor does it factor in the neighborhoods of Arlington Heights and Monticello. 

And then there is the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo that each year brings nearly a million guests to the immediate area; and the horse and livestock events with hundreds or thousands of visitors throughout the year.

A plaza within walkable distance of all these assets weaves a compelling fabric and a compelling need for just such a project.

#213 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

I'd still rather have the arena in downtown... but I'm not the one with millions of dollars to spend, so it's not my call. 

7fwPZnE.png

#214 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

This may sound far-fetched, but could the saucer (old convention center) be renovated and expanded to serve as a multi-purpose arena?

#215 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

It probably could, but the long term plan seems to rely on tearing it diwn and filling its lot with more convention space.

#216 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

This may sound far-fetched, but could the saucer (old convention center) be renovated and expanded to serve as a multi-purpose arena?

It could... But won't. It'll be torn down and made into more convention space, as it should be.

7fwPZnE.png

#217 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

I'm not sure you should have two Will Rogers coliseums, the historical one in the cultural district and a new one downtown.  But I believe a multi-purpose arena (like the American Airlines Center in downtown Dallas, for example) should be built in our downtown.  Downtowns draw a lot of people, as we've seen here with various Sundance Square concerts and the Main Street Arts Festival.  Unfortunately, the traffic infrastructure downtown is woefully inadequate (as I experienced trying to drive around on the evening of the Parade of Lights last year).

#218 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

The traffic infrastructure is fine.  When you have 200,000+ people going into an area for a single event all at one time and then leaving all at one time, traffic is going to be a mess no matter what.  You can't build the church for the Easter Sunday crowd.

#219 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

The traffic infrastructure is fine.  When you have 200,000+ people going into an area for a single event all at one time and then leaving all at one time, traffic is going to be a mess no matter what.  You can't build the church for the Easter Sunday crowd.

Less a parking issue than a mass transit issue if you ask me.

#220 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

Less a parking issue than a mass transit issue if you ask me.

I went to Wrestlemania 25 in Houston. It has a METRORail line not too far from it.... STILL took about an hour to get out of the parking lot, and I left a little early. 

When you have major stadiums/arenas and they host several events, there will be traffic no matter what ya do. 

7fwPZnE.png

#221 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

The AAC handles the TRE and DART from Victory station pretty well.

#222 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

When you have major stadiums/arenas and they host several events, there will be traffic no matter what ya do. 

Which is why it is so important to have choice in transportation modes (spread large groups across a broader spectrum a ways to arrive and depart). Equally important that the mass transit system be enough of a developed network leading to and from places that are more than just parking lots (it's gotta be more than just a park and ride). In not sure that Houston would be considered an exemplar in this respect.

#223 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

Which is why it is so important to have choice in transportation modes (spread large groups across a broader spectrum a ways to arrive and depart). Equally important that the mass transit system be enough of a developed network leading to and from places that are more than just parking lots (it's gotta be more than just a park and ride). In not sure that Houston would be considered an exemplar in this respect.
It's a hell of a lot more an exemplar than Fort Worth, that's for sure...

I know some cities handle that better than others. But as long as there are people who would rather drive than ride with several strangers on a bus or train (and this is much more relevant in "Car Culture" Texas) you will have traffic.

7fwPZnE.png

#224 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

It's a hell of a lot more an exemplar than Fort Worth, that's for sure...

I know some cities handle that better than others. But as long as there are people who would rather drive than ride with several strangers on a bus or train (and this is much more relevant in "Car Culture" Texas) you will have traffic.

No argument here.

#225 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

Interesting report in the Fort Worth Weekly [November 13-19,2013]:

Sharing the Wealth: Art patrons aren’t thrilled at a Bass arena getting the Cadillac while they get the Ford – but they’re coming around.

...“Event Facilities, the Ed Bass-led nonprofit group [that] is planning the arena”…A local developer who asked not to be named said Event Facilities paid David M. Schwarz [ Bass Performance Hall] to design the arena….The state-of-the-art horse arena’s cost is expected to approach $200 millions…[The last I heard] the arena has been designed, and it’s ready to go”….

…“The Bass arena could add as much as 100,000 square feet of arena space and seating for 10,000 or more to the mix.  There will be some competition between the two facilities [Convention Center:Bass Arena], but more often than not they will complement each other”…

#226 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:46 AM

Interesting report in the Fort Worth Weekly [November 13-19,2013]:

Sharing the Wealth: Art patrons aren’t thrilled at a Bass arena getting the Cadillac while they get the Ford – but they’re coming around.

...“Event Facilities, the Ed Bass-led nonprofit group [that] is planning the arena”…A local developer who asked not to be named said Event Facilities paid David M. Schwarz [ Bass Performance Hall] to design the arena….The state-of-the-art horse arena’s cost is expected to approach $200 millions…[The last I heard] the arena has been designed, and it’s ready to go”….

…“The Bass arena could add as much as 100,000 square feet of arena space and seating for 10,000 or more to the mix.  There will be some competition between the two facilities [Convention Center:Bass Arena], but more often than not they will complement each other”

There should be NO competition between any new arena and the UFO at the end of Main Street. 

We all know that it's gonna be torn down sometime in the near future, so why try to "complement" a severely outdated and undersized arena on borrowed time? 

7fwPZnE.png

#227 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

200 Million for 10k seats? Just looking at some other recently built arenas, 

-BoK Center- 196 Million- 17,096 (Basketball)

-Allen Event Center- 52 Million- 6,275

-InTrust Bank Arena- 200 Million- 15,400

Seems like a steep price for low seating. 

Very interested that it is already designed. Can't wait to see what Schwarz does. His style will fit perfectly in the area. 

#228 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

200 Million for 10k seats? Just looking at some other recently built arenas, 
-BoK Center- 196 Million- 17,096 (Basketball)
-Allen Event Center- 52 Million- 6,275
-InTrust Bank Arena- 200 Million- 15,400
Seems like a steep price for low seating. 

You've gotta be kidding...

7fwPZnE.png

#229 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thinking about the term "New Will Rogers Arena" in the title of this thread;

It is more than a little misleading to refer to the planned new arena as another "Will Rogers" due solely to the location. However, the whole area and the municipal complex surrounding the historic Will Rogers Arena and Auditorium and Landmark Pioneer Tower has been named the "Will Rogers Memorial Center". There are many structures included in this 85 acre complex that serve multiple functions, and which  all come together for a single purpose during the annual Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show. The area was developed in 1936 for the Pioneer Centennial Exposition, the unofficial Amon Carter/Fort Worth fair for which the original Will Rogers buildings were built, along with the original open-air Casa Mañana, a Pioneer Palace, and several other structures that did not survive into the current era. 

I would suggest that it might serve a purpose of disambiguation and to further the Fort Worth brand name to change the name of the entire area to Fort Worth Exposition Grounds (or plaza, or park, or square, etc.) The original event and the ongoing stock show and rodeo both share the term "Exposition", and it gives a better idea about what the overall nature of the area was and is.  This park could include the Will Roger's Center, the current (domed) Casa Mañana, the Science and History and Community Art Museums, The National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame, The Botanic Gardens, and the planned new arena. Some effort could be made to integrate the various components together so that visitors to one might be able to more easily access the others.  

#230 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

I would suggest that it might serve a purpose of disambiguation and to further the Fort Worth brand name to change the name of the entire area to Fort Worth Exposition Grounds (or plaza, or park, or square, etc.)  

Great idea.

#231 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

There is certainly room for it. 

aac.jpg

I'd love it if the development included some mixed-use style retail and walkablity even for those of us who may not have any interest in Rodeo's or whatever else the arena will host.  

#232 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

Are there any firm plans to relocate the eyesore of a heat-treating plant now that the area is viable?

#233 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

The "Fort Worth Exposition Grounds" is a good idea, though I'm not sure about including the Botanic Gardens as it's quite a distance from the arena sites and it's more part of the Forest Park area.  mmiller 2002, where exactly is this "heat-treatment plant" to which you refer?

#234 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

I'll finish it later... 

575390_10201765421930719_1907690938_n.jp

7fwPZnE.png

#235 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

The "Fort Worth Exposition Grounds" is a good idea, though I'm not sure about including the Botanic Gardens as it's quite a distance from the arena sites and it's more part of the Forest Park area.  mmiller 2002, where exactly is this "heat-treatment plant" to which you refer?

Across Montgomery from the Montgomery Cafe.

#236 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

They are tearing down the large white warehouse, Lockheed Used?

it's hard to believe that the demolition is not fenced-in.  So many liability opportunities with the half-building there and piles of scrap...

#237 BlueMound

BlueMound

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Council to vote on 2 expansion projects for Will Rogers complex

• a multi-purpose pavilion calling for a covered, open-air arena allowing equestrian shows and other activities;
  • and a cattle barn-milking parlor project 

http://fwbusinesspre...uncil-vote.aspx

#238 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

I've seen renderings of the pavilion and it looks nice.  If the milking parlor project involves providing a much larger space for that activity, that is great.  The current milking parlor brings foot traffic to a standstill at the front of the livestock barns.

One thing I find puzzling about the WR complex: at the end of 2012, a multi-purpose equestrian building was completed at the corner of Harley and University.  The ground level is a one story parking garage and the second level is an unfinished shell that has been used as a parking garage during last year's and this year's stock show.  It is a horrible waste of a large event space.  Was that the plan all along or is there a plan to eventually finish out the space and use it for events later?

#239 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Actually, the Equestrian Multi-Purpose Building is the next on the list for the website to add in with a new building description.  As far as I can tell, the building is finished and its name tells its use.  It is a multi-purpose building that can be used for any purpose the Stock Show people feel is required.  I have also heard that when stalls are placed inside, it is for horses only.  Maybe, they don't need it for equestrian uses during the Stock Show, so they use it for parking, then at other times of the year when they have more horses on the site, it is used for them. 

#240 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

That makes sense, especially given that there were mostly trucks with horse trailers parked in the upper level when I was there last weekend.  It just seems like a rather large and ornate building for that purpose.

#241 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

I've seen renderings of the pavilion and it looks nice.

Anyplace to find these online?

#242 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

http://fortworthtexa....aspx?id=124516

#243 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

BfPfN01CAAA1mZF.jpg

#244 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Looks like this might be a sweet venue for "outdoor" music festival-type events during Spring when rain is (or used to be) a planning risk.

#245 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

Where will this be? Where Harley used to run?

#246 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

Loks like this might be a sweet venue for "outdoor" music festival-type events during Spring when rain is (or used to be) a planning risk.

I would imagine that that idea is not in the cards; nor should it be.

#247 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

The pavilion will be built between Casa Manana and the Will Rogers Coliseum.

#248 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

This indicates, at least to me, that the coliseum days are numbered for sure.  Hope that the coliseum's frieze can be salvaged to create a "Brandeburg Gate" Fort Worth.

http://www.fortworth...werwillamon.jpg

#249 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

This indicates, at least to me, that the coliseum days are for sure numbered.  Hope that the coliseum's frieze can be salvaged to create a "Brandeburg Gate" Fort Worth.

I really don't think that demolition of the coliseum has ever been a consideration - only that it's use and primacy on the campus will be replaced by a much larger structure on a different part of the property.

What interests me is what will ever happen to the southwest corner of University and Lancaster. It would be great to have some element that makes the complex more inviting to pedestrians so that you could have a fairly seamless pedestrian district from W7 to and through the Cultural district. Same could be said for the opposite side of the street near the Modern.

#250 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Renamerusk, I'm curious as to why you think the Coliseum will be demolished?  From all of the reports I have heard, it will be used for smaller events.  The latest Master Plan for the complex calls for the Coliseum, Auditorium, and Tower to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Granted, that does not guarantee any type of protection against demolition, but it generally shows that the owner has noted the building's history and wants the ceremonial recognition as a historic place.  Also please make a note here, last week, the Astrodome in Houston received its listing on the National Register of Historic Places.  Its fate is unknown, but it does appear that demolition is likely.  The Coliseum is a forerunner to the Astrodome and domed stadiums.

Most city preservationists want the three buildings to be designated as local landmarks, so that there are protections against demolition and the building can be saved for future generations.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cultural District, New Arena

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users