http://cbs11tv.com/v...tvt.dayport.com

#2 lens314

lens314

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, Cars, Computers, LEGO

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:34 PM

Interesting....not sure about a new (bigger) interchange @ 820/35W, because I live very near it, but I know how bad it is on 820 for that stretch.
-Doug

#3 jesse

jesse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

The sooner the better I say. Though you think traffic is bad now wait till construction starts. wacko.gif

#4 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

And to make things worse - they are installing a $1MM electronic billboard in the Northeast Mall parking lot (think Vegas) that changes every 8 seconds. You think traffic is slow there now - just wait! blink.gif

#5 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

Insanity.

--

Kara B.

#6 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:17 PM

For any changes to be effective on 820 East they will have to entirely redo the I35W/820 interchange at the same time because this overloaded section contributes greatly to the problem.

Unfortunately this situation is not soemthing that transit of any kind seems to offer much help for. These are loops or bypasses around major centers and I don't see how they can really use fixed rail effectively. Most transit including rail is hub based or uses clusters of hubs.

A loop might be bisected by hub connectors cutting across them but that doesn't solve the problem, unless I am missing something.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#7 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:46 PM

When will the North Tarrant Express toll road project begin? It would be quite interested how daily drivers adapt once the northeast segment of I-820 starts construction.

In my humble opinion, it is not similar to I-30 in Arlington, since there are two other options traveled: I-20 (to the south) and SH 183 (to the north).

#8 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

Great! Here we go again! Either build the durn road or don't. Is this some sort of ploy to criple the deal already inked, or was the TxDOT acting on it's own with no regard for the highest state law? I hope some of the region's legislators bring this up at the promised special legislative session this summer... Some of that federal incentive money should have been requested to improve the east-west roadways north and south of the Loop 820 Wright Freeway so that less local traffic is shunted onto the highway due to no thru-streets in the area. What a stinkin' mess!

Honkin' Mad Blog - Gordon Dickson
http://startelegram....be-delayed.html

June 11, 2009

Loop 820, Texas 121/183, LBJ Freeway Widening Could Again be Delayed

A dispute between the Texas Department of Transportation and state attorney general's office threatens to once again delay the North Tarrant Express project, which includes the widening of Loop 820 in Northeast Tarrant County.

The dispute also could delay expansion of LBJ Freeway in Dallas.

The Regional Transportation Council has just voted during a meeting in Arlington to send a letter to AG Greg Abbott, asking his office to cease any delays on the North Tarrant Express.

The project includes construction of new toll and nontoll lanes between Interstate 35W and North East Mall, plus expansion of Texas 121/183 in Bedford and Hurst. The project is to be managed by a group of private developers known as NTE Mobility Partners, which is headed by the U.S. arm of Spanish firm Cintra. However, state law enacted two years ago requires that the AG's office review agreements between the state transportation department and private developers before any work can begin.

The AG's office objects to the wording in the agreement between the transportation department and NTE Mobility Partners, according to a May 28 AG letter to transportation department executive director Amadeo Saenz Jr. The AG is concerned that the project commits the transportation department to spend public money over a longer period of time than the agency is allowed under state law.

Tarrant County Judge Glen Whitley is livid, noting that if the dispute causes further delays to North Tarrant Express, the Fort Worth area could lose some of its highway funding, under financial penalties spelled out in a preliminary agreement signed in January. Under that agreement, the project was expected to clear this hurdle with the AG's office by April.

#9 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

It should start sometimes this fall – once completed, would this segment be named as West Fork Tollway, a nod to cancelled freeway, according to texasfreeway.com website?

It would be easier than having a cornucopia of signs: 820 TOLL, 121 TOLL, and 183 TOLL.

#10 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

Unfortunately, the NTE spokesperson said the other day (via e-mail) it would be known as North Tarrant Express – hopefully, it wouldn’t confuse riders with North Tarrant Parkway.

North Tarrant Expressway – that’s got a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? I could vouch the same for LBJ Tollway (I-635 managed lanes) and Tom Landry Tollway (I-30 managed lanes).

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

Cities along NTE unhappy with the choice to use asphalt instead of concrete

Lots of interesting comments with this article. The ones that strike me as the funniest are the ones that are appalled at the idea that the private developer of the expansion is trying to maximize their return by cutting expenses. What did these guys think was going to happen? This is the third such cost savings brought to light in recent months. The first was the elimination of elevated toll lanes. The lanes are going at ground level and will be able to fit in the same planned right-of-way. The second was a total lack of aesthetic improvements along the new roadway like what we've seen on I-30 in Arlington (I'm a-ok with that).

I travel a portion of this route daily and I've always questioned to the need for such a massive expansion in the first place (at least on the stretch through Hurst and Bedford). The current roadway (asphalt) is in good shape and traffic is never as bad through that area as people want us to think it is. There are arterial roadways in NE Tarrant County with much worse traffic than 183/121.

#12 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:47 AM

Prior to the last expansion it was bad near NE Mall and during the construction it was just horrible. It's much better now, but I think the old reputation remains.
My blog: Doohickie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users