160 replies to this topic

#1 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

I have been talking with somebody from the Hillside Apartments at Fort Worthology, and they mentioned on our new forum that they (Hillside Apts.) have been told that the historic Knights of Pythias Hall in the middle of the neighborhood is going to be demolished by its owner (apparently, not the Hillside Apartments people).

If this turns out to be true, this would be a great disappointment. The building is in dire need of restoration, but it is a building that I think is absolutely worthy of preservation. I would be greatly saddened by its loss.

The page here on John's site about the building:

http://www.fortworth...kophall-2nd.htm

--

Kara B.

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

Also, refer to Historic Fort Worth's 2007 Most Endangered List. The building was one of the highest priority structures to save.

Here's a link to the list on another Fort Worth Forum discussion:
http://www.fortworth...962

#3 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:42 AM

I'm usually on the side of development and property owner's rights, but I'm not in favor of this demolition. There isn't a reason in the world that building can't be used in its current form and, if used, would definitely add to the fabric of that neighborhood.

John, is there any material local black history tied to the building? I noticed it's described as having been built as an "Afriacan American fraternal meeting hall". What does that mean, exactly?

#4 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:15 AM

I do know of the Knights of the Eastern Star. Black history month photos or south side FW photos in the FW Central Library about a year or two ago. Very interesting tour.

Could that be one?
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#5 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Jun 8 2007, 04:15 AM) View Post

I do know of the Knights of the Eastern Star. Black history month photos or south side FW photos in the FW Central Library about a year or two ago. Very interesting tour.

Could that be one?

Unless there is another organization I am not aware of, Eastern Star is prpbably best traditionally characterized as the "ladies auxilliary" of the Masonic movement. This maybe the "Damsels" of the Eastern Star. ; P

What exactly happened at the Central Library about a year ago that had to do with Black History Month, and how were you involved?

From their website: http://www.pythias.org/index.htm

The Order of Knights of Pythias is an international, non-sectarian fraternal order, established in 1864 in Washington, DC, by Justus H. Rathbone and was the first fraternal order to be chartered by an Act of Congress.

Domains of the Order exist in most states and provinces, and subordinate lodges are located in many cities and towns across the United States and Canada.

#6 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:54 AM

Here's a bit more from Janna at the Hillside Apartments:

"The Knights of Pythias building was owned by a family that chose NOT to sell when Hillside was in the developement stages. Hillside has been open since June 9, 1997 (10 years this week). Over the past 10 years I have seen many many people looking at the building and having great ideas of what should be done with it. The owners were wanting to sell the building for $300,000.00."

--

Kara B.

#7 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:59 AM

More from the Knights of Pythias website:

Three early events marked our history. In 1881 the first building ever built specifically for use as a Pythian lodge hall was erected in downtown Fort Worth. It was a three story affair, a rarity at the time, costing a magnificent fifteen thousand dollars to construct. The cornerstone ceremony was presided over by Justus H. Rathbone, who founded the Order Of The Knights of Pythias in 1864. The building is a Texas and National Historical Site.

I wonder if the organization might be interested in knowing about the proposed disposition of the other lodge. I am going to send this thread to the secretary of the Grand Chapter of Texas.

#8 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

What exactly happened at the Central Library about a year ago that had to do with Black History Month, and how were you involved?

It was either celebrating Black History month or an artists interpretation of "My Town" or " The Eastside", from an artist's perspective of FW neighborhoods throughout the last century to date. Wonderful works of art and B/W photos were displayed in the gallery at the FWCL.

I simply was a spectator who recalled photos of this Knights of Pythias or Eastern Star organization with pictures of old men (who appeared to dress like Veterans do at special events), mostly black if not all who were celebrating their congregation and indoctrinations over the years.

Just contact the FWCL, and I am sure you can get some more HELPFUL information.

www.iheartfw.com

#9 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Historic buildings and landscapes, local history, current events, coffee, hard liquor, and arguing!

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Jun 7 2007, 08:42 AM) View Post

I'm usually on the side of development and property owner's rights, but I'm not in favor of this demolition. There isn't a reason in the world that building can't be used in its current form and, if used, would definitely add to the fabric of that neighborhood.

John, is there any material local black history tied to the building? I noticed it's described as having been built as an "Afriacan American fraternal meeting hall". What does that mean, exactly?

I'm so riled up over this that I'm literally shaking.

What the HECK are y'all doing chatting about this building's history???

(I am so glad some of you finally acknowledge that there might be a building worth saving in Fort Worth DESPITE the owners wishes!)

It is time to act! I'm bummed that I'm just now checking the Forum and getting this news.

Who's with me on this?

I plan to
1. E-mail Wendy Davis and copy the City Council, NAACP, LULAC, and the Star-Telegram.
2. Demand that the building be designated at the City's highest level because of its significance in the areas of architecture, city history, and minority history.
3. Rabblerouse to the extent of lying down in front of a bulldozer, if necessary.

CHARGE!

(ooops! excuse me while I go and change the 17-month old's diaper!)

WWSPFD?*

History is but the record of the public and official acts of human beings. It is our object, therefore, to humanize our history and deal with people past and present; people who ate and possibly drank; people who were born, flourished and died; not grave tragedians, posing perpetually for their photographs. ~Bill Nye, History of the United States

For me there is no greater subject than history. How a man can study it and not be forced to become a philosopher, I cannot tell. ~George E. Wilson

*What Would Susan Pringle Frost Do?

#10 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Historic buildings and landscapes, local history, current events, coffee, hard liquor, and arguing!

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:15 PM

John T. Roberts: No voicemail on the home telephone? Please give me a call.
WWSPFD?*

History is but the record of the public and official acts of human beings. It is our object, therefore, to humanize our history and deal with people past and present; people who ate and possibly drank; people who were born, flourished and died; not grave tragedians, posing perpetually for their photographs. ~Bill Nye, History of the United States

For me there is no greater subject than history. How a man can study it and not be forced to become a philosopher, I cannot tell. ~George E. Wilson

#11 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Jun 8 2007, 11:54 AM) View Post

Here's a bit more from Janna at the Hillside Apartments:

"The Knights of Pythias building was owned by a family that chose NOT to sell when Hillside was in the developement stages. Hillside has been open since June 9, 1997 (10 years this week). Over the past 10 years I have seen many many people looking at the building and having great ideas of what should be done with it. The owners were wanting to sell the building for $300,000.00."

Janna actually said that? To you, AG?
WWSPFD?*

#12 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Jun 8 2007, 11:59 AM) View Post

More from the Knights of Pythias website:

Three early events marked our history. In 1881 the first building ever built specifically for use as a Pythian lodge hall was erected in downtown Fort Worth. It was a three story affair, a rarity at the time, costing a magnificent fifteen thousand dollars to construct. The cornerstone ceremony was presided over by Justus H. Rathbone, who founded the Order Of The Knights of Pythias in 1864. The building is a Texas and National Historical Site.

I wonder if the organization might be interested in knowing about the proposed disposition of the other lodge. I am going to send this thread to the secretary of the Grand Chapter of Texas.

They might be interested especially since it was an African-American chapter. Back then, the fraternal orders were segregated. I believe the Odd Fellows, Woodmen, et al were racially segregated in the South and, in some cases, the North.
WWSPFD?*

#13 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(Fire-Eater @ Jun 10 2007, 02:26 PM) View Post

Janna actually said that? To you, AG?

That is one of the messages she posted on Fort Worthology's new forum:

http://fortwortholog...&page&replies=5

--

Kara B.

#14 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

In it's current shape and negligence. You can probably get it all for about $150K, especially after designation. Because then you cannot do a thing to it on the exterior, other than exact restorations.

Sqft again?
www.iheartfw.com

#15 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Jun 10 2007, 04:00 PM) View Post

In it's current shape and negligence. You can probably get it all for about $150K, especially after designation. Because then you cannot do a thing to it on the exterior, other than exact restorations.

Sqft again?

I got word that it is designated. It has the highest protection, which means they can go ahead and demolish it after a waiting period.

One could do things to the exterior: replacement in-kind of existing material and additions/modifications approved by design commission.
WWSPFD?*

#16 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:05 PM

Reply from the Grand Secretary, TexasChapter, KoP:

The building you refer to,does not appear to be the one that had belonged to the Knights of Pythias (Ft.Worth #101) currently on Race Street. The building that used to house the Knights of Pythias Lodges (Red Cross and Queen City) of Ft Worth was and is still in downtown Ft Worth, after it was restored by the Bass family some years ago. I think the lodge hall you refer too was part of a Black Knights of Pythias which was not part of the Grand Lodge of Texas or Supreme Lodge Knights of Pythias founded in February 1864 in Washington,D.C. by Justice Rathbone of Utica, New York.

R.Mehalick,G.S.Texas

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "RD Milhollin" <rdmilhollin@charter.net>
> To: grandsecretary@pythias-tx.org
> Subject: Knights of Pythias in Fort Worth (the other one)
> Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:06:52 -0500
>
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> I have copied to you a discussion thread from the "Fort Worth Forum", a
> discusion board run by Fort Worth architect John Roberts and part of the
> Fort Worth Architecture website. It seems as though one of the early Knights
> buildings, perhaps built by a black order within the Knights, is on the
> impending demolition list. The web address for the discussion forum is here
> for your convenience: www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum
>
> and the thread follows: (snip)

#17 Janna

Janna

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:37 PM

Hi..........I'm Janna from Hillside Apartments. I think it is great that you all are interested in the preservation of this building. I really feel that someone is going to need really deeeep pockets to keep this building from being torn down. As I told Kevin..........the owners were asking $300,000 for this building that is in horrible shape. I would really like to know some "inside scoop" on who these owners are and what they are thinking!!!! Believe me...........I would love to see it refurbished instead of having to look at a vacant lot everyday.

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

I don't have any particular black history relating to the building, but I did find out that it was erected by the Key West Lodge of the Knights of Pythias. It was a segregated African American lodge of the organization. That information has been on the web site since I uploaded the building description

Even though we have linked to the building on this thread, I thought I would go ahead and post a photograph.
IPB Image

#19 anathan

anathan

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE(Janna @ Jun 10 2007, 08:37 PM) View Post

Hi..........I'm Janna from Hillside Apartments. I think it is great that you all are interested in the preservation of this building. I really feel that someone is going to need really deeeep pockets to keep this building from being torn down. As I told Kevin..........the owners were asking $300,000 for this building that is in horrible shape. I would really like to know some "inside scoop" on who these owners are and what they are thinking!!!! Believe me...........I would love to see it refurbished instead of having to look at a vacant lot everyday.

What is the zoning over there? Anyone have any suggestions for a potential use? It's sort of in an awkard location for retail - very limited traffic. Perhaps some sort of professional office with residential above?

#20 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

Offices, loft condos or apartments, some sort of institutional use...there are lots of ways this building could be refurbished and put to good use. All it takes is a little imagination. smile.gif

#21 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Jun 11 2007, 10:55 AM) View Post

Offices, loft condos or apartments, some sort of institutional use...there are lots of ways this building could be refurbished and put to good use. All it takes is a little imagination. smile.gif

Indeed. I can think of a few uses right now. I think it'd make a cool loft/retail development, or...no...some sort of artists' loft thing. That'd be great. Studios and lofts. Or offices, or live/work type stuff.

Oh, if I only had the money to start Fort Worthology Development...

--

Kara B.

#22 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

OK--Enough of this prattle!

Who is WITH ME! CHARGE!

My letter to the editor is in review. I plan to copy everyone who's anyone on it. So, even if it's not published, City Council, Mayor, Lon Burnham, Kay Granger, NAACP & LULAC will see it.

Next: I need to buy 100 yards of chain. I plan to chain myself to the building (anyone who'd like to help is free to join me.) I plan to buy a big-*ss chain, so I'll need financial contributors.

Please e-mail me via the Forum if you're ready to do something to "Help Save the Knights of Pythias Building!"

Once I get the chain -- even before demo papers are submitted & the 180 days begin -- I plan to notify the media and do a "dry run." Hopefully I'll get an on-air stand-up, chained to the building, showing what I plan to do when the bulldozers arrive. (Pres. George W. Bush would call that a "pre-emptive strike.")

If we can get the word out ASAP, we'll have more than 180 days to find a buyer. Maybe we can get the NAACP to participate -- we could have an old-fashioned sit-in to protest the sad plight of minority HP resources in FW. We could even have a sleep-in and spend the night.

Who is with me???
WWSPFD?*

#23 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE(Fire-Eater @ Jun 11 2007, 01:15 PM) View Post

Once I get the chain -- even before demo papers are submitted & the 180 days begin -- I plan to notify the media and do a "dry run." Hopefully I'll get an on-air stand-up, chained to the building, showing what I plan to do when the bulldozers arrive. (Pres. George W. Bush would call that a "pre-emptive strike.")

If we can get the word out ASAP, we'll have more than 180 days to find a buyer. Maybe we can get the NAACP to participate -- we could have an old-fashioned sit-in to protest the sad plight of minority HP resources in FW. We could even have a sleep-in and spend the night.

Who is with me???

Your fire is inspiring...

...but I just had a big lunch. Maybe later.

I think the key is in finding some piece of history that makes the building more relevent than it appears on the surface. FE, you sould contact the Key West so and so's and get more history on the place.

#24 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Jun 11 2007, 01:41 PM) View Post

Your fire is inspiring...

...but I just had a big lunch. Maybe later.

I think the key is in finding some piece of history that makes the building more relevent than it appears on the surface. FE, you sould contact the Key West so and so's and get more history on the place.

The building is highly relevant. I intend to do additional research, but the MERE fact that this was the home to an African-American fraternal lodge is highly significant. I don't know how "hip" you are to minority historic resources, but they are few and far between. Historical documentation of minority communities is minimal. This is probably the oldest of the very few historic resources in FW related to African-American history.

I conducted the architectural inventory for Raleigh NC's African-American Studies Project back in 1989. I thought I'd just mosey down to the library and do a little initial research on the history of the African-American community before I started field work. Guess what? There was very little -- next to nothing -- research available. There are big ole books on the history of Raleigh available -- but in them is no mention of Raleigh's black population. Nothing. Except for slavery days and an occasional post-bellum lynching.

After that, I had a REAL appreciation for Black History Month.

WWSPFD?*

#25 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:42 PM

To take nothing away from the seriousness of finding some way to save that building...

But I wonder if "crazy glue" wouldn't be more appropriate than chain???

Histronic outbursts seldom are effective weapons

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#26 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:57 PM

It's going to take several partners. Perhaps that Race St. developer could have a showing. If you want to have a fighting chance you may want to contact the Black Fraternal Orders Assoc. who deal with African-American membership clubs and oranizations throughout US college campuses. Plenty of African-American Who's Who in their directory.

BEnterprise

And another fine resource on the history behind many of Black Frateranl Org.

Chicken Bones!

Personally, I can still remember laying my eyes upon it some 6 years ago when I had moved here. I am STILL attracted to the idea that SOMEONE out there will restore the inherant beauty of this hall.

And no, Bush would not call it "Pre-emptive". But about 75% of the US public would. sleep.gif

An upscale restaurant there would be spectacular or a "smoke house", something with German/French cuisine. I am sure the view from atop is just breathtaking.

OH WAIT! An even better idea that is just too perfect with the originators theme, Full-Scale SOUL FOOD restaurant.
www.iheartfw.com

#27 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:10 PM

I plan on posting about the building and its plight on the front page of Fort Worthology soon. I'm always on board to save a historic building.

--

Kara B.

#28 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(djold1 @ Jun 11 2007, 03:42 PM) View Post

To take nothing away from the seriousness of finding some way to save that building...

But I wonder if "crazy glue" wouldn't be more appropriate than chain???

Histronic outbursts seldom are effective weapons

Are you kidding? Have you ever heard of the civil rights movement???

You don't think protests work?

I'm all for folks sitting down and talking things out, but I think a little histronics might help to get the word out to the public. The court of public opinion can greatly influence negotiations. Histronics might help grease the wheels a bit.
WWSPFD?*

#29 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Jun 11 2007, 04:10 PM) View Post

I plan on posting about the building and its plight on the front page of Fort Worthology soon. I'm always on board to save a historic building.

AWESOME! I'm checking with the author of the Startlegram article on HFW's Endangered Places list to see if we can enlist the Fourth Estate. Also, I'm gonna stop by Home Depot today to check on chain prices per foot. You reckon 300 feet will be enough? Can I count you in for a 10.00 donation? Will you be joining me for the "Pythias Chain-in?"
WWSPFD?*

#30 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

Bob Ray Sanders has done a thorough and informative job of documenting the historic black community on the east side of Fort Worth. Maybe one of the sets of eyeballs from the Startelgram that peer here from time to time can forward a message. Or heck, just give him a call.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#31 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

OK, I just emailed Mr. Sanders. Did you see his article on the angels on the courthouse annex? Good subject.

#32 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:26 PM

Are you kidding? Have you ever heard of the civil rights movement???

Ummm..... Somehow I think being in my teens and twenties in the period 1954 through the '60's qualifies me if that is really cogent to the conversation...

More importantly, this issue or preservation situation has nothing really to do with race. We are paying the piper for what all of us, no matter what the race or gender, did not do in past years.

Today we are moaning and groaning about the Pythian hall. Last week it was the TXU building debacle. This forum is filled with obituaries that have resulted because we all collectively have been, and still are, incapable of getting a proper prescription for the legal doctors that govern us to use to provide a preventative shield.

While we may occasionally win a small Pyrrhic Pythian victory and your histronic backside may get unstuck (metaphorically I hope) from the hallowed structure, the cancer that is spread by lack of legal preservation medicine will continue to fester and destroy our history.

I don't even see a quorum in this forum that would really support a truly restrictive preservation program that had legal teeth. So why would be expect others that have a good deal less immediate interest in the subject to be casting themselves under the bulldozers?

Many of us say in this forum that we shouldn't be allowing these things to happen. And yet, realistically there is another side, also represented here, which advocates the right of freedom of action in property ownership and minimization of emminent domain, and that is also valid. Right now these advocates are in the majority. For anything to happen there has to be some workable compromise that involves give and take.

I'm kind of in the middle on the subject.

Whatever, there is a disinterest and apathy in the subject by the general public and perhaps here in this forum. We do a lot of shutting the barn door after the horse has escaped.

The answer is not the hysterical tootling of trumpets, but tough quiet work to bring a realistic view of the situation to public light and at the same time offer a realistic solution that does not unduly gore either side. With the present climate..that's going to be a chore.

Until something happens that makes tough historic preservation desirable, the rubble heaps will keep growing and the windmills will continue to be uselessly tilted at....

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#33 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(djold1 @ Jun 11 2007, 06:26 PM) View Post

The answer is not the hysterical tootling of trumpets, but tough quiet work to bring a realistic view of the situation to public light and at the same time offer a realistic solution that does not unduly gore either side. With the present climate..that's going to be a chore.

Until something happens that makes tough historic preservation desirable, the rubble heaps will keep growing and the windmills will continue to be uselessly tilted at....

Well, including grad school, I've been in historic preservation for over 20 years, one way or the other. I've been involved in lots of "tough quiet work" for much of that time. You know what? "Tough quiet work" has its place as does the "tootling of trumpets." I stood by (literally) and watched Seventh Street get 'dozed (illegally).

I'm gonna do some "tough quiet work" on the Pythias, but I'm gonna do some TOOTLING too!

Who's with Atomic Glee & me! Get CHAINED! YEAH!
WWSPFD?*

#34 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:38 PM

It's just down the road from me. I may not be under chain, but I can show up in support.

#35 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

A quick photo excursion:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#36 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

I'm glad that Anthony Mariani took the time to ridicule us (ok, me) in print. Now that that's over with, maybe he would like to do a story on this subject. Maybe not Mariani, this building wasn't designed by Frank Gehry and its preservation won't bring fame to FW. Maybe someone else in the local media can cover this less than sexy story.

#37 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(Sam Stone @ Jun 11 2007, 09:22 PM) View Post

I'm glad that Anthony Mariani took the time to ridicule us (ok, me) in print. Now that that's over with, maybe he would like to do a story on this subject. Maybe not Mariani, this building wasn't designed by Frank Gehry and its preservation won't bring fame to FW. Maybe someone else in the local media can cover this less than sexy story.

Huh?

WWSPFD?*

#38 Fire-Eater

Fire-Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:53 PM

Speaking of the media, here's my recently submitted letter to the Startlegram. (I copied Bob Ray)

To the Editors:

A significant, historic Fort Worth property has been targeted for demolition. Located at East Second and Crump streets, the Knights of Pythias Building was listed in May as one of Fort Worth’s Most Endangered Places by Historic Fort Worth, Inc. This building is remarkable as the home of an early twentieth-century African-American fraternal organization.

The City of Fort Worth has recognized the importance of the property by designating it Highly Significant Endangered (HSE) under the city’s historic preservation ordinance. Such a designation entitles property owners to receive tax incentives from the city. It also provides for a 180-day delay in demolition so alternatives to destruction may be considered.

The owner has not used the financial incentives available for the preservation of the building. Instead, the owner has allowed the building to deteriorate from neglect. And now the owner has decided to demolish it.

It is my earnest hope that the demolition will not occur. I hope a new owner may be found. This city needs someone who will come forth and restore this important building and find a suitable use for it.

It is sad to think that yet another Fort Worth landmark – this one a landmark to Fort Worth’s historic African-American community – will be allowed to slip into oblivion. A piece of Fort Worth’s history, a tangible link to our past, will be lost forever.

Sincerely yours,

FIRE-EATER
WWSPFD?*

#39 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:00 PM

Yah, me too. I'll surely be there to protest from the sidewalks. I'm just not big on bondage these days.

Will there be any shade?

You know, I was taking another look at the new pic's of the site and just tapped into a great idea for the project. By looking at the location on 2nd and CRUMP St., one should take the idea of it's cross street and create a whole new dance studio for the place. Seeing as how the dance arrangement/style, "CRUMPING", is just taking the country by storm these days. It would make for a killer restoration. Killer as in being very good.

I do recall one Bruce Wood or Texas Ballet Theater looking for a new dance studio site in FW these days.

Yaaaah Boyyyyyyy!

*** BEST IDEA!***
It would also make for a MUCH NEEDED DTFW Boxing Gym. Perhaps FW Parks and Rec can look into it. Currently the City of FW does not operate a boxing gym.
www.iheartfw.com

#40 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(Fire-Eater @ Jun 11 2007, 09:53 PM) View Post

Speaking of the media, here's my recently submitted letter to the Startlegram. (I copied Bob Ray)

To the Editors: (...)

Sincerely yours,

FIRE-EATER

Gimme a break, you didn't REALLY sign that letter "FIRE-EATER"!?

Can you print out the text of the cornerstone you photographed. I looked around for the "Key West Lodge of the Knights of Pythgias" and found not much. The cornerstone you photographed appears to say "Key of the West..." I wonder if there are some other clues that can't be seen from the photo that might help find some help in adding to the documentation of the building and the lodge that built it.

#41 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:57 PM

What you have to do is SAVE the picture of the cornerstone to any pictures program, then mess with the brightness and contrast. The detail will come out better, plus you can zoom in for good measure.

So far I have :
-Leon Maddox and OC Crook as trustees on the tablet.
-AL Reg.(?), or AL Regents (?)
-Magic No.146
-RN Austin cc UH Logan, KRS (Knights of the Rising Star?)
-Trustees
-RL Davis James Gooden
-Dan Washington (centered)
-Marine No.240

-can't make out rest, then some folks with last name Brown. Mike Brown BH Brown (?)
-CL (?) Monfreek(?) or Northern(?)

other half:
-Alta Vista No.67
-TS Stovall cc Luke Moore (?)
-Trustees
-JH Taylor J burton or Burnett (?)
-JS Lewis (centered)
-Davis No.174
-Will Robinson cc TJ Updick(?) KRS

I can't do this anymore PPup.
Please, I beg of you. My eyes can't go on. Tired. Very tired. Muuuuust quiiiiiit. sleep.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#42 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Jun 12 2007, 12:00 AM) View Post

Yah, me too. I'll surely be there to protest from the sidewalks. I'm just not big on bondage these days.

Will there be any shade?

You know, I was taking another look at the new pic's of the site and just tapped into a great idea for the project. By looking at the location on 2nd and CRUMP St., one should take the idea of it's cross street and create a whole new dance studio for the place. Seeing as how the dance arrangement/style, "CRUMPING", is just taking the country by storm these days. It would make for a killer restoration. Killer as in being very good.

I do recall one Bruce Wood or Texas Ballet Theater looking for a new dance studio site in FW these days.

Yaaaah Boyyyyyyy!

*** BEST IDEA!***
It would also make for a MUCH NEEDED DTFW Boxing Gym. Perhaps FW Parks and Rec can look into it. Currently the City of FW does not operate a boxing gym.

When I Google Earth'd it, it looks like it sits right in the neighborhood right? What it needs to be, and IMO would make perfect sense, is a grocery store!! OMG, remember when there were neighborhood groceries all over? How convenient would that be?? Maybe put a little corner eating place at one end?

I also see a lot of people talking about saving it what others should do to it. Maybe we need to organize, figure out how to do the $$ aspect, buy these places, renovate, then sell them or start our own businesses. I know, I know, I don't have millions of $$ laying around either, but I can paint, and hammer, and sweep the floor, etc., etc. huh.gif Or is that just crazy talk?

#43 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE(seurto @ Jun 12 2007, 07:44 AM) View Post

When I Google Earth'd it, it looks like it sits right in the neighborhood right? What it needs to be, and IMO would make perfect sense, is a grocery store!! OMG, remember when there were neighborhood groceries all over? How convenient would that be?? Maybe put a little corner eating place at one end?

That's one thing I would love to use it for. We in the New Urbanism movement are very big on bringing back things like small neighborhood grocers and the like.

I also see a lot of people talking about saving it what others should do to it. Maybe we need to organize, figure out how to do the $$ aspect, buy these places, renovate, then sell them or start our own businesses. I know, I know, I don't have millions of $$ laying around either, but I can paint, and hammer, and sweep the floor, etc., etc. huh.gif Or is that just crazy talk?

Everything's crazy until it isn't.

If I had money, Fort Worthology would have a "development" wing that would primarily focus on buying and rehabbing historic Fort Worth structures for new uses. There are some buildings in urban Fort Worth that I literally ache to get my hands on.

If I had the money.

--

Kara B.

#44 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Jun 12 2007, 12:10 AM) View Post

Can you print out the text of the cornerstone you photographed. I looked around for the "Key West Lodge of the Knights of Pythgias" and found not much. The cornerstone you photographed appears to say "Key of the West..." I wonder if there are some other clues that can't be seen from the photo that might help find some help in adding to the documentation of the building and the lodge that built it.

I actually got close-ups of the cornerstones. Tonight I'll enhance them in Photoshop and get them online. In the meantime, here's the biggest version of the cornerstone pic I have online at the moment:

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#45 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:52 AM

And as promised, it's the lead post today at Fort Worthology.

--

Kara B.

#46 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Jun 12 2007, 09:21 AM) View Post

QUOTE(seurto @ Jun 12 2007, 07:44 AM) View Post

That's one thing I would love to use it for. We in the New Urbanism movement are very big on bringing back things like small neighborhood grocers and the like.

Everything's crazy until it isn't.

If I had money, Fort Worthology would have a "development" wing that would primarily focus on buying and rehabbing historic Fort Worth structures for new uses. There are some buildings in urban Fort Worth that I literally ache to get my hands on.

If I had the money.

What a great groundbreaking/first of it's kind venture it would be!! I really don't know what level income that neighborhood is, but whoever it is, they still need convenient, reasonably priced groceries. Granted the prices couldn't be as low as Albertson's, etc, but convenience=gas, right?

I would think if the right amount of people got involved with the right know-how, there are ways to raise $$ - investors, fundraiser-type things, small business loans, etc., etc. I'm game if enough others are interested to try.

It's easy to sit around and say what should be done about something............. smilewinkgrin.gif

#47 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Jun 12 2007, 09:22 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Jun 12 2007, 12:10 AM) View Post

I actually got close-ups of the cornerstones. Tonight I'll enhance them in Photoshop and get them online. In the meantime, here's the biggest version of the cornerstone pic I have online at the moment:

IPB Image

Next time someone is out there, if they will squirt some water on the cornerstone, it should be easier to read. That works with gravestones most times.

#48 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:41 PM

So ya'll want to open up and OWN a grocery store. alright, let me look into it. Sounds good so far.

But we will need to raise some skrilla and fast. The great opp't is that the property is FOR SALE.

I like that grocery idea. Makes ABSOLUT sense. As in spirits too?

Parking?

I really like the boxing gym idea too.
www.iheartfw.com

#49 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Jun 12 2007, 04:41 PM) View Post

So ya'll want to open up and OWN a grocery store. alright, let me look into it. Sounds good so far.

But we will need to raise some skrilla and fast. The great opp't is that the property is FOR SALE.

I like that grocery idea. Makes ABSOLUT sense. As in spirits too?

Parking?

I really like the boxing gym idea too.

I have yet to hear an idea in this thread that I didn't like, really.

As for parking, there is a vacant grassy lot between the KofP building and the old CME Church on the other side of the block that would probably make for a decent bit of parking. Just need to pave it and put an attractive fence (that matches the architecture of the building) and greenery there to disguise it. That is, if that lot is available as well.

--

Kara B.

#50 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

Y'know, I'm really serious about trying to do this if y'all are. I'm not sure how we should start the project, I would think maybe meeting with the owners, giving them our thoughts and see if they'll delay the demolition. Perhaps, if we talk really nice, they might consider lowering the price a little, seeing as how this would be a "grass roots or community type" project and not a big major corp. Then hit hard and heavy on raising the $$, while someone is researching how to set things up. There was also a mention, I believe on your site, AG, about there being a shotgun house adjoining it?? Is that part of the deal I wonder? Usable for storage or such?? A little eating place for SAfly?? Having a lot for parking is a triple bonus.

Also, maybe the Hillside development folks would be willing to help out a little; after all, it is only going to benefit their development - what a selling point!

Maybe some help from Historic FW also??

In all seriousness, I'm willing to get together with whoever wants to go forward with this and make a plan of action. I'm tied up this Saturday, but can probably work around anything else.

What do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users