265 replies to this topic

#1 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

The recent naming of the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington to Globe Life Ballpark in Arlington, one would think, to be a harmless announcement, however not so.  It seems, to be an opportunity for some to pillage.

Dallas' paper on Sunday, February 9th  took this opportunity to make a case for Arlington's ballpark becoming obsolete in ten years. The story cited as an example, Atlanta's decision to build a new stadium to replace the current stadium.  And why?  Unable to make a case like the case being made in Atlanta that the MLB Braves play in an undesirable part of the city that is perceived as being unsafe and discourages development, the DMN based their case upon the fact that Texas is Hot and the Rangers should have a domed stadium. Eventually after such dubious bait came the hook.  Laying the ground work for other Metroplex  "cities" [read Dallas Farmer's Market] that may want to step in and rescue the Rangers from their misery. HA!

The first sign that you know that there is a predatory shark prowling the waters is when you see its dorsal fin!

"Vandergriff, Arlington and Rangers forever.

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

It's also worth noting that Turner Field was not built as a baseball stadium and would have cost a lot of money to bring up to par, which shortened it's lifespan down a bit. I think the Ballpark is probably about halfway through it's useful life. 

If in ~10-20 years the Rangers want a roof, I really don't see them moving. The Current location has Six Flags and Cowboys nearby,  and they have their entire history in Arlington. If they do move, I'd think it'd be to an urban area. Since 2000, nearly every ballpark that has been built has been built in or near a cities downtown. Citizens Bank in Philly and ATL's new park are the only two that are'nt really suburban in nature. 

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

....the Ballpark is probably about halfway through it's useful life. ....If in ~10-20 years the Rangers want a roof... If they do move, I'd think it'd be to an urban area...... 

Its a manufactured concern to get you to think that the Ballpark in Arlington is past its prime and to condition you to think downtown; and the one downtown that you are conditioned to think of is also home to the Dallas Morning News.  I feel fairly confident that eyebrows have been raised in Arlington. 

Lets see how this plays in the psyche of Arlington joining DART.

#4 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

I told you guys this would come up... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#5 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Jeriat sure heck did tell this forum this would happen. With the recent passing on Mayor Bolen .Bud Kennedy wrote how Bolen talk with the Arlington Mayor in the early 90's "don't like what they are doing over there" That Dallas was trying to grab the Rangers back then. Most Ranger fans did come from north Dallas. But today that has shifted somewhat. Even the Cowboys did not build Jerry world in Dallas . And built the Cowboys HQ further North in Frisco. Plus Bob Simpson is now a major owner of the Rangers. He spent a lot of money remodeling Downtown Fort Worth buildings. For his XTO company.

I don't know if Mr. Simpson has kids to pass on his ownership to ? But I really feel that the Dallas power that be. Will try to get a Dallas businessman in as owner-partner. That day will come when the Rangers will have to do a major remodel or build a new stadium. And don't want to be in the Cowboy shadow forever.Fort Worth ought to make a play for it when the time comes.

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

.....With the recent passing on Mayor Bolen .Bud Kennedy wrote how Bolen talk with the Arlington Mayor in the early 90's "don't like what they are doing over there" That Dallas was trying to grab the Rangers back then....That day will come when the Rangers will have to do a major remodel or build a new stadium. ...

The answer is no; Fort Worth should not make a play for the Rangers when the time comes, but should instead help Arlington in as much as it can to keep the Rangers in Arlington.

Fort Worth and Arlington are family; and as family, the two cities have much to work on together for Tarrant County and the Western Half of the metroplex. 

I am surprised by all the talk about the need for a new stadium.  It is being manufactured so that some one can point to a need in the future for a stadium with all the latest frills.   The thing about Baseball is that it is played best outdoors.  Baseball is also played in venerable stadiums that have a life shelf which is multiple times that of football or basketball.  Texas weather is hot; and even though Houston has an indoor baseball stadium,  the Rangers have drawn larger attendance numbers than the Astros. In recent seasons, the Rangers have doubled the attendance of the Astros with their roof top stadium.

Yes a time, that is so predictably expected, will come when those who feel some misplaced sense of  entitlement will want to lure the Rangers away from Tarrant County and to relocate them to their respective jurisdiction.  Whether that be Dallas or Collin County, both Arlington and Fort Worth will need to be partners once again to keep the Rangers in Tarrant County.  Vandergriff new it then; Bolen knew it then; the current mayors of Fort Worth, Arlington, Mansfield, Euless, Bedford, etc. all know it today.

The Rangers already play in Tarrant County; and that is enough satisfaction for me.

Fort Worth over everyone.

#7 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Jeriat, this topic isn't new. I lived in Arlington when the vote went down in 1991 (I voted NO) and the same debate existed. Many Dallas-based sports media blowhards couldn't understand why the Rangers wouldn't want to be in fabulously awesome :closedeyes: downtown Dallas. I thought then as I do now that Fort Worth needs to step up its game and stop being the humble little brother to Dallas, Arlington or any other city. The 800,000 people of this city deserve better. If Arlington was "family" then they would have helped build the T a long time ago. 

#8 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

If the Cowboys had moved to Dallas. I agree we should help Arlington keep the Rangers. However .Twice . Again I say Twice Fort Worth help Arlington. First Fort Worth help keep the Rangers from moving to Dallas in the 90's. And ten years ago we back Arlington to snag the Cowboys. Dallas is home to Mavs and the Stars. And still have Soccer and Football teams named after Dallas. Arlington is home to the billion dollar stadium. And all the major them parks The Western side of the Metroplex population is and will continue to outpace the eastern side. Makes perfect sense for the Rangers move to Fort Worth. Spread the love.

Yes I will always back Arlington over Dallas anyday. But I don't get this Family thing. For years on end. Arlington has always lured business with the tag line .Center of the Metroplex, Near DFW, Pathway of all the major highways. Guess what Arlington. Fort Worth and Dallas did that not you .And when Arlington tried to get the Olympics they went to Dallas not Fort Worth for help. And just recently Arlington wants to be the home of next generation of pilot-less fighter aircraft. Sound like fighting words to Fort Worth and Lockheed Martin to me. Did Fort Worth try to snag GM when they were looking to move in the early 90's ? No again Fort Worth back Arlington to keep the GM  plant. Some family we have here  

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

..But  I don't get this Family thing....And when Arlington tried to get the Olympics they went to Dallas not Fort Worth for help....some family we have here  

I believe that that is a misunderstanding of what happened surrounding the Olympics bid.  It was doomed before it could get off the ground because of quarreling:

My recollection is that the Olympics was Arlington's initiative and Dallas tried to wrangle it away from Arlington inferring that it was the primary city in the region and that it should be known as the Dallas Olympics.  Dallas required that it be the site of all major marketing/media events of the games; and so on, and so on. Well, Arlington, with some strategic support from Fort Worth as only it could give,  would not take a back seat to Dallas and Dallas' plans to hog the limelight. We know how the story ended.

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#10 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

St. Paul has a team, St. Petersburg has a team, Oakland (for now) has three teams.  Count me amongst those who think that, when the time comes, Fort Worth should make a play for the Rangers.  

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

I think a lot of cities will be in play as the lease on Globe Life Park comes to an end in 10 years, if Arlington hasn't already stepped up the plate (pun intended) with an offer that the Rangers can't refuse. As much as I would like to see Fort Worth make a play, I still think that Arlington will be in the best financial position to give the best offer, given their ability to pay the 1994 stadium off so quickly and the optimistic outlook for paying off their portion of AT&T Stadium. Arlington is unlikely to let the team leave without a heck of a fight after calling their city home for more than 50 years. And, in the end, I would really like to see money put toward an upgraded ballpark rather than a whole new one. The team has done a great job of updating the stadium post-bankruptcy and more upgrades along those lines would be okay in my book. Upgrading the open air concourse areas to something as nice as what they have at Yankees Stadium would be great and I suppose it wouldn't be bad to find a way to incorporate a retractable roof. (It could be done, but I doubt it's necessary. Free agents come here when they're paid accordingly and fans show up when the team is good, regardless of the weather.)

If Arlington doesn't keep the team, I would love to see them end up in Fort Worth, especially in a downtown stadium or in the Trinity Uptown area.

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

I think a lot of cities will be in play as the lease on Globe Life Park comes to an end in 10 years.

....when the time comes, Fort Worth should make a play for the Rangers.  

A comment -

I thought that Globe Life, like AT&T, is paying for the right to have their brand exclusively marketed: a 3D Commercial". Arlington nor did Jerry Jones sell its stadiums.  The only thing that will be for sale at the end of the current naming rights is a privilege for a different brand to pay for naming rights.

And a question -

What is actually wrong with The Ballpark?

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:58 AM

I was talking about the Rangers lease with the city of Arlington. Arlington owns the stadium and the Rangers have a 30 year lease that expires in 10 years. I'm not sure I understand your question. Or the one you forgot to ask.

#14 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

What is actually wrong with The Ballpark?

In my opinion, nothing.  It's a great stadium that could (and should) be the Rangers' home for decades to come.  

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

I was talking about the Rangers lease with the city of Arlington. Arlington owns the stadium and the Rangers have a 30 year lease that expires in 10 years. I'm not sure I understand your question. Or the one you forgot to ask.

Why would the Rangers and the City of Arlington build a stadium that has a life expectancy of at least 50 years and greater, if they did not each know that: one, baseball is played in stadiums that are meant to last for decades (Wrigley Field @ Chicago, 100 y/o) and two, the North Texas population's center point now and in the decades ahead is centered roughly around Arlington/NE Tarrant County; and that these factors make Arlington a "no-brainer"?

If not Arlington, perhaps Bedford could go for it. :swg:

#16 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear: I'm saying I think the team should and will stay in Arlington. But the lease expires in 10 years and it's inevitable that there's going to be some ideas thrown around for moving elsewhere.

I love the stadium and I wouldn't go to 20+ games a year if I didn't. They've done a great job of updating it in the last 5 years: the video ribbon, the new hi-def video board, sound system upgrades, more premium seating closer to the field, all 3 club areas have been reworked over the last 3 years, the new club space in center field, new high end concession areas in center field and behind home plate. The only thing that I feel lags behind other parks around the league is the general concourses on the first and third levels and even the second level concourse to a lesser degree. They feel a little spartan compared to other stadiums. I would also love to see more oversized hi-def video boards in the concourse areas that allow fans to watch the game while they're away from their seats. They added something like this in center field a couple of years ago, but it's kind of small and not in the best location. Both stadiums in NYC have something along the lines of this and it works well.

Sure, I would love to see Bedford go for it. Parking sets me back a couple of hundred bucks every year. :)

#17 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

It's worth noting that even before the population increase we anticipate in the coming decades, the Metroplex is already the largest metropolitan statistical area in the country with only one MLB team.  The Rangers would obviously fight tooth and nail to prevent another franchise from invading their territory, but what if a group of investors wanted to bring a National League team to downtown Dallas?

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

It's worth noting that even before the population increase we anticipate in the coming decades, the Metroplex is already the largest metropolitan statistical area in the country with only one MLB team.  The Rangers would obviously fight tooth and nail to prevent another franchise from invading their territory, but what if a group of investors wanted to bring a National League team to downtown Dallas?

It can't happen.  The MLB is balanced with 15 teams per league.  For that to happen, MLB would need to add six teams/cities.

#19 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

I would question the sanity of it. The Rangers were not a great draw before 2010. Far from bottom of the league in attendance, but they did not do well when the product on the field was bad, especially late in the season. But, hey, if someone wants to do it and can pull it off, I think it would be great. The more baseball, the better as far as I'm concerned.

rename: I think maybe he's getting at an existing team moving here. You could balance the leagues with 1 more team in each. That would even things up so that interleague play wouldn't be a season-long necessity. Expansion is unlikely given the fact that there's a team in a substandard stadium (Oakland) and other teams drawing very small crowds these days (Cleveland, Chicago White Sox, Tampa).

#20 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

rename: I think maybe he's getting at an existing team moving here. You could balance the leagues with 1 more team in each. That would even things up so that interleague play wouldn't be a season-long necessity. Expansion is unlikely given the fact that there's a team in a substandard stadium (Oakland) and other teams drawing very small crowds these days (Cleveland, Chicago White Sox, Tampa).

Again not going to happen.  With two leagues of three divisions each, MLB would have to expand by adding Dallas and five other cities would have to be added that must also meet demographic and proximity variables.

#21 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

The S-T weighs in on the issue of the Ranger's lease expiring and whether a move may be on the horizon:

http://www.star-tele...r-out.html?rh=1

#22 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:16 AM

The S-T weighs in on the issue of the Ranger's lease expiring and whether a move may be on the horizon:

I am confident that Arlington/Tarrant Cty will be ready when the time comes, but here are some preemptive thoughts of my own:

(1)  Is this the same S-T that was the leading mouthpiece against the streetcar starter line?

(2)  Is Dallas willing to be an ATM for billionaire sport owners, when as a city, it is reducing public safety officers and needing to fund their employee pension plans? [Fort Worth too]

(3)  Is this the same Texas Rangers team whose major owner is one Bob T. Simpson and who is one of two major downtown Fort Worth real estate moguls?

I'll need to find a copy of the S-T to get a true take on their story; however, I am guessing the S-T was having a slow news day and was in need of stirring up some buzz.

#23 urbancowboy

urbancowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sustainable, Livable, Urbanism

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

I'd like to see them move Downtown. I've always considered them Fort Worth's only hometown team. They should stay in the 817.

#24 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

Downtown? Ridiculous. I'd like to see them around Fort Worth, but Arlington makes much more sense. Certainly not downtown Fort Worth..

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#25 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

Arlington will be in a better position financially than anyone else to keep them.  Fort Worth won't have a chance after they sell their soul to the devil to finish the TRV when the feds don't come through with enough money.

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

FYI including your favorite hometown team -

http://www.ballparks...currentcost.htm

#27 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

Downtown? Ridiculous. I'd like to see them around Fort Worth, but Arlington makes much more sense. Certainly not downtown Fort Worth..

Directly IN downtown, yes. It would be ridiculous. 

But if we're going to have the Rangers in Fort Worth, LaGrave Field or the corner of Summit and Lancaster could work. 

7fwPZnE.png

#28 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

The Rangers are killing me this year.

Damn Rangers.

I love my Rangers, but barring a miracle we are done for the year.  Now it will be more fun being the spoiler.

"Va la cucuraha".

#29 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:12 PM

Fort Worth and Arlington are family; and as family, the two cities have much to work on together for Tarrant County and the Western Half of the metroplex. 

Another example of why Fort Worth and Arlington are and should always remain special allies; this is good business for downtown [be sure to read to the end of the story] -

http://corps.tamu.edu/sept242014/

#30 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

I know this subject keeps rearing its ugly head and, so it goes...the latest in an NBC Channel 5 video by Ken Kalthoff.

http://www.nbcdfw.co...-359148921.html

My own view is that Dallas seems desperate to grab the Texas Rangers for its own.  What to call it...the Dallas Rangers?  I mean they're even looking at a former state jail building for a possible stadium, for heaven's sake!  As a lawyer, I think in terms of justice.  And I think it's an injustice that--if the Rangers have to move--they wouild move to Dallas and not Fort Worth.  Shouldn't we in Cowtown lay claim to at least ONE major sports venue? Do we have to play cheerleader for yet another Dallas franchise? This would be a grand opportunity, provided sensible monied people in our city have the guts and initiative to go for it!

#31 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

My own view is that Dallas seems desperate to grab the Texas Rangers for its own......Shouldn't we in Cowtown lay claim to at least ONE major sports venue?.... This would be a grand opportunity, provided sensible monied people in our city have the guts and initiative to go for it!

Yes, an unapologetic air of entitlement that believes that another city should sacrifice its economic and tourist district just so Downtown Dallas can prosper.  It is covetous and it is wrong.  Arlington will and shall fight back.  Fort Worth ought not behave in this way and many in Fort Worth, I hope, will rally to the support of Arlington. 

Sports and sports teams are the most highly hyped and least practical way to enhance the quality of life in a city.  I would not like for Fort Worth to invest in professional sports and certainly would not like for Fort Worth to do what Dallas is thinking of doing.  Can't we agree that Downtown Fort Worth is doing great without a stadium?

Fort Worth and Arlington must work together to improve mass transit between our two cities; to work to improve water resources and public safety between our two cities.  :)

#32 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

Sports and sports teams are the most highly hyped and least practical way to enhance the quality of life in a city. 

Sport teams are actually a very effective way of ensuring misery for the half to three-quarters of the teams that don't make the playoffs.

My blog: Doohickie

#33 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

If you wanna get technical, we do own the Rangers AND Cowboys. 

We also have the TMS. So it's not like there's NO major pro sports on our side of the Metroplex. Those teams may play in Arlington, but Arlington is in our county. 

7fwPZnE.png

#34 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:55 PM

My own view is that Dallas seems desperate to grab the Texas Rangers for its own......Shouldn't we in Cowtown lay claim to at least ONE major sports venue?.... This would be a grand opportunity, provided sensible monied people in our city have the guts and initiative to go for it!

Yes, an unapologetic air of entitlement that believes that another city should sacrifice its economic and tourist district just so Downtown Dallas can prosper.  It is covetous and it is wrong.  Arlington will and shall fight back.  Fort Worth ought not behave in this way and many of Fort Worth, I hope, will rally to the support of Arlington. 

Sports and sports teams are the most highly hyped and least practical way to enhance the quality of life in a city.  I would not like for Fort Worth to invest in professional sports and certainly would not like for Fort Worth to do what Dallas is thinking of doing.  Can't we agree that Downtown Fort Worth is doing great without a stadium?

Fort Worth and Arlington must work together to improve mass transit between our two cities; to work to improve water resources and public safety between our two cities.  :)

Fort Worth would likely see an image boost if the Texas Rangers were to move west and be in close proximity to our skyline.

That said, we could see similar results without relocation if the Texas Rangers were renamed the Fort Worth Rangers.

By doing this, we would also give the real (original) Texas Rangers their identity back.

-Dylan

#35 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

If you wanna get technical, we do own the Rangers AND Cowboys. 

We also have the TMS. So it's not like there's NO major pro sports on our side of the Metroplex. Those teams may play in Arlington, but Arlington is in our county. 

Unfortunately, none of those are named Fort Worth, so nobody associates them with us.

-Dylan

#36 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:59 PM

We went through this when the Cowboys moved to Arlington. No sports team is going to throw away 40+ years of building brand recognition just because they move 15 miles down the road.

#37 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

I think some of you missed a point I was making about the billionaires who claim Fort Worth as their home.  I applaud them for whatever business and cultural contributions they've made to our city, but I don't think most of them are fervent when it comes to Fort Worth's identity regionally or nationally.  If they were, they would be fighting mad to ensure that the Rangers, IF they are forced out of Arlington, would land in Fort Worth, and not Dallas or some other city.  I love Fort Worth and, if I had the money and power of some of these people, I would be using it to get a decent sports stadium for our city (not that pitifully low-scale arena planned in the Cultural District).  Why?  Because sports does count for a great deal when it comes to a city's identity in this country, even aside from historical significance or population.  I've said it repeatedly before, but again I have to tell you that little Green Bay, Wisconsin, has a greater national identity than our much bigger city and they owe it all to the fact that they have a pro football team.  And, if you think national identity doesn't matter to a city, it matters economically as well as culturally.  Dallas's mid-20th Century spurt in major corporations and financial institutions was largely the result of the Dallas Cowboys football team--of course with a little help from the Dallas Business Council and other civic leaders.. 

#38 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

Are we completely forgetting that a pretty prominent Fort Worth resident already owns a pretty large stake in the Rangers?

Saying Green Bay, WI has a greater national identity than Fort Worth is a matter of opinion. I dare anyone on this forum or any average member of the general public to tell me something they know about Green Bay other than the football team. The football team is their identity. I don't really see that as a good thing.

I get that sports teams are a big part of any city's identity, but if that leads you to a point where you think you could look Ed Bass or Tex Moncrief in the eye and tell them they give less of a damn about Fort Worth than you do because they're not willing to plunk down a billion dollars for a sports franchise, you're probably a bigger douchebag than I would want to be associated with. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's how little I think of that line of thinking.

None of this precludes the fact that the cart is being put about 10 miles in front of the horse at this point. All that's been written about is speculation that Dallas intends to be a player in the hunt for a possible new stadium. That's their right and I fully expect a number of other area cities to be right there beside them. I still hold my position that Arlington far and away holds the upper hand in this fight and will continue to be the home of the Rangers for decades to come. The city has invested upward of $50 million in improvements to the stadium in the last 5 years. They will not let the team go quietly.

#39 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

.... leads you to a point where you think you could look Ed Bass or Tex Moncrief in the eye and tell them they give less of a damn about Fort Worth than you do because they're not willing to plunk down a billion dollars for a sports franchise, you're probably a bigger douchebag than I would want to be associated with. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's how little I think of that line of thinking.

Ouch! :(

#40 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

Are we completely forgetting that a pretty prominent Fort Worth resident already owns a pretty large stake in the Rangers?

Saying Green Bay, WI has a greater national identity than Fort Worth is a matter of opinion. I dare anyone on this forum or any average member of the general public to tell me something they know about Green Bay other than the football team. The football team is their identity. I don't really see that as a good thing.

I get that sports teams are a big part of any city's identity, but if that leads you to a point where you think you could look Ed Bass or Tex Moncrief in the eye and tell them they give less of a damn about Fort Worth than you do because they're not willing to plunk down a billion dollars for a sports franchise, you're probably a bigger douchebag than I would want to be associated with. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's how little I think of that line of thinking.

None of this precludes the fact that the cart is being put about 10 miles in front of the horse at this point. All that's been written about is speculation that Dallas intends to be a player in the hunt for a possible new stadium. That's their right and I fully expect a number of other area cities to be right there beside them. I still hold my position that Arlington far and away holds the upper hand in this fight and will continue to be the home of the Rangers for decades to come. The city has invested upward of $50 million in improvements to the stadium in the last 5 years. They will not let the team go quietly.

I can assure you that I am not a douchebag, and I firmly believe there's merit in my opinion.

#41 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

To clarify, I liked Johnfwd's post for what he said about Green Bay and how a sports team can elevate a city's image.

Billionares can promote a city or care about a city without spending billions of dollars moving a sports team to their city.

Ed Bass has done his part in promoting Fort Worth by courting ESPN for sports broadcasts in a vibrant neighborhood he created / invested billions in.

-Dylan

#42 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:56 PM

And to clarify likewise, I liked everything after "None of this precludes..." :)

#43 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:04 AM

In a conversation on this subject with a friend the other day, he assured me that Arlington would never let the Rangers go elsewhere.  I sincerely hope that is the case.  That was also the opinion of a Rangers' fan quoted in the NBC Channel 5 story.

My point was based on the fact that no new major sports franchise would likely come to Fort Worth because most of them are already situated in the DFW Metroplex, which apparently is considered by the sports world as being one market. So be it.  But no market monopoly obstacles would prevent us (or Dallas) from acquiring the Rangers' franchise, as it would be a move within the DFW market.  If Fort Worth continues to grow, I believe that eventually someone is going to propose building a major sports stadium, whether it's meant to house the Rangers or some other sports team. 

I wasn't intending here to offend anyone's sensibilities about Fort Worth billionaires, none of whom I named personally.  They've made great contributions to our city in the arts and business fields, as I noted in my post. 

#44 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

Well, worded that way, I agree with everything you said.

#45 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:25 PM

Yes, an unapologetic air of entitlement that believes that another city should sacrifice its economic and tourist district just so Downtown Dallas can prosper.  It is covetous and it is wrong.  Arlington will and shall fight back.  Fort Worth ought not behave in this way and many in Fort Worth, I hope, will rally to the support of Arlington. 

Arlington fights back!

http://www.fortworth...965d5c1b7a.html

#46 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:27 PM

Could the Butler Place land be used as a location for a future Rangers ballpark (retractable roof) ?
It is highly unlikely that Arlington will ever let the Rangers slip away.
But still ?
Mac Engel's column in the Star Telegram
Mac sounds like he is in favor of FW making an effort to lure the Rangers away.
http://www.star-tele...le50141720.html

Arlington fights back!

http://www.fortworth...965d5c1b7a.html

Agreed to!  Kudos to Arlington.

http://www.star-tele...le50033370.html

#47 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

This certainly shows that the city and the team are committed to working out something in the future. I still fully expect a bidding war between multiple cities and I'm sure the Rangers are hoping for that.

I heard an incredibly unsubstantiated, grain-of-salt rumor earlier this week that the site of this development is where the Rangers wanted to build a new stadium if they stayed in Arlington. The same person said they're now turning their attention toward the area just to the northwest of Globe Life where Siemens is currently located.

#48 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

I would point out that the development agreed upon is right on Johnson Creek, a major Arlington drainage subject to massive flooding after significant rainstorms. Although the creek has been channelized in that area there is no buffering upstream to retain or detain flood surges, and the only mitigation that seems to have been done in response to major flood events has been for the city to buy residential lands impacted. As more dense development happens in the city the flooding is going to get worse, not better. Six Flags has had to shut down several times in recent years when the creek flooded the park, only a few thousand feet downstream. Without more information I would be hesitant to recommend this site for a 200 million dollar investment in buildings.

#49 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:35 PM

Rangers, City of Arlington will announce plans for a new, retractable roof stadium ?
http://sportsday.dal...2233.1463707876

#50 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:51 PM

That's great news and not surprising at all.  This was Arlington's race to lose, so much so that it looks like it never even made it to the starting line.  I'll continue to enjoy my 20 minute drive to the Ballpark.

The only thing I take exception with is that the heat is suppressing attendance.  The 2010-2012 stretch proved that winning puts butts in seats, not cool A/C.  Baseball is an outdoor sport, but if they want to put a retractable roof on the new building, okay.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users