15 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

Really well shot video of the entire concert. Metallica isn't really my taste but figured some might enjoy seeing it any remembering the CC in it's heyday.

https://youtu.be/YT0VUEbOSF0

#2 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

That's a link to the plane sculpture at First Flight Park.

-Dylan

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Fixed.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

I remember when they were here in 1997. They are not really my taste in music, either.

#5 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Why does the Convention Center arena not host concerts anymore?

-Dylan

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

I'm not sure the city has done much to market it as a concert venue in recent years and I would imagine they have trouble competing with newer facilities like the AAC, Verizon, and Winstar.  I saw Garth Brooks there in 1998 and it definitely is great as far as sight lines and acoustics go, but it's the amenities that really sink it - seating and restrooms that were obsolete 20 years and haven't been updated since, poor food/beverage facilities, and a single narrow concourse that only surrounds 2/3 of the building to serve the entire seating bowl.  The concourse is probably the worst feature.  My daughter had a cheer competition there last year that only used about half of the seats and the concourse was wall-to-wall people during breaks.  It was much worse for a sold out circus performance we saw a few years ago. 

#7 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

There's nothing in FW that can compete with places like the AAC, the Verizon, etc. - and considering that a lot of venues will have radius clauses (meaning an act can't perform within a certain radius from a show within a certain timeframe) and Dallas is the larger city anyway, there's little reason for a big act to choose an antiquated facility like the CC arena over a place like the AAC.

A smaller version of this often plays out with smaller indie bands and such. Dallas has the numbers and venues like the Granada and the Bomb Factory (which we don't really have good equivalents of here in FW) and smaller venues like Club Dada, Trees, Three Links, The Loft, etc. that are higher-profile than most FW equivalents. Sometimes there are radius clauses involved, too, sometimes not. I've seen bands on tour come to the DFW and play Denton and Dallas and skip FW.

The FW venue that I've seen snag a few more notable touring acts lately has been Shipping & Receiving.

--

Kara B.

#8 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

The new arena should be able to get into the concert game given that a lot of touring acts seem to be hitting up smaller arenas like the Allen Events Center, the Ford Center in Frisco, and Toyota Music Factory.

#9 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

I'm optimistic on bookings for Dickies Arena. I may be wrong, but I think I read the same firm that keeps JerryWorld booked will be in charge of booking out Dickies. Seems AT&T Stadium has a constant stream of events so I'm hopeful they'll be able to work similar magic for what we're building.

#10 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

Dickies will help with concerts, but it would be nice to have one major music/performance specific venue like Verizon in downtown.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#11 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

I think the old TCCC arena is simply outdated to host any more concerts. I think Hanna Montana was the last major concert. How Fort Worth landed her and her massive followers over AAC in Dallas I will never know ? But what I find puzzling is why Texas Motor Speedway has not done any concerts ? I think the Rolling Stone did a concert one time ? From what I heard the crowd was sparse. 

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

It's a poor venue for anything other than racing. No one goes to a concert wanting to sit a quarter mile from the stage. Even with their big video board.

#13 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

It's a poor venue for anything other than racing. No one goes to a concert wanting to sit a quarter mile from the stage. Even with their big video board.

And to be honest, if given the choice between going to see a concert at a super speedway - and, as you say, sit a quarter mile from the stage - that's stuck way out in far north Fort Worth with the only things around it being some strip malls, or going to Dallas to see a concert at a real venue like the AAC or the Granada and be right in the middle of a lot of much more interesting bars/restaurants for before/after, I'd pick Dallas every single time.

--

Kara B.

#14 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

And to be honest, if given the choice between going to see a concert at a super speedway - and, as you say, sit a quarter mile from the stage - that's stuck way out in far north Fort Worth with the only things around it being some strip malls, or going to Dallas to see a concert at a real venue like the AAC or the Granada and be right in the middle of a lot of much more interesting bars/restaurants for before/after, I'd pick Dallas every single time.

But there is a Buc-ee's right there! What more do you want??!!

#15 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:30 AM

Heck I remember going to a Tractor Pull at TCCC as a kid. Must of been around 1980. Anyway I am not talking about a Opera or Van Cliburn competition at TMS. Talking about Dead Heads and standing screaming 12 year old girls at One Direction concerts. I seen hilarious pictures of  "sad dads at concerts" Those heroic, but sad dads who go to a Justin Bieber concert to protect their daughters. In one picture I saw in Mexico city a massive stadium, filled with girls to see One Direction. And the stage was at one end. Hey if a concert goer don't care about seeing them up close and sees just a tiny blur who cares ? As long as it generates revenue for the city. And Eddie Gossage of course. http://www.philly.co...o-ever-sad.html

#16 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:58 AM

Eddie Gossage isn't one to turn away something that makes money. I think the fact that they haven't done a real concert there since shortly after it opened tells you what you need to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users