7 replies to this topic

#1 elizabethtx1l

elizabethtx1l

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:13 PM

Hi all! My husband and I have found these forums and we have been sitting here reading through them all night! I've lived in Fort Worth for 7 years and my husband is a recent transplant. He is learning to love the area as much as I do!

We are looking to buy our first home and we've found some beautiful homes in the Oakhurst area. We really like the area, but we do not know anyone living there right now, so we can't ask questions about the neighborhood and get a frank answer. So does anyone live in Oakhurst? Anything at all- we plan on buying and staying somewhere a very, very long time.

We've also been interested in the Como/Arlington Heights area, Ryan Place, and Woodhaven. We like bungalow style homes quite a bit.

Advice? Flames?

Thanks!

:swg:

#2 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:55 AM

Welcome to the Forum!

Oakhurst is definitely a good choice as are all the other areas you mentioned, keeping in mind your price per square foot is generally going to be higher than some other FW neighborhoods. Oakhurst is great because the hills and the houses have tons of charm. If you’re into biking, walking or jogging, the Trinity trail that runs East and North of downtown is fairly easy to access from Oakhurst.

Like your spouse, I am also a recent transplant to TX and FW. We live near Oakhurst, but not actually in Oakhurst so I can’t speak firsthand in terms what it is like to live in that neighborhood, but the one thing you might find disappointing is that there are not really any high quality shopping or dining experiences on that end of town (yet), but that's just my opinion. I realize Race St is going through some changes which you can read about on the “Sylvania/Race/Riverside Urban Village?” thread, but your nearest shopping right now near Oakhurst is limited to Minyards and Wal-Mart on Beach St or Carnival on 28th.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:24 AM

I would also like to welcome you.

Arlington Heights, Ryan Place, and Oakhurst all have bungalow style homes, but I really don't think Woodhaven does. Woodhaven is a newer development and most of the houses were constructed in the 1960's and 1970's. You might be thinking about Meadowbrook, where there are older bungalows in the housing stock. Meadowbrook is south of Woodhaven. I'm sure that price of homes in each neighborhood will also enter into your consideration of where to purchase.

#4 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:16 AM

I did some shopping around the Oakhurst area last year and found a lot of nice homes in all stages of updating. The neighborhood has never really had a "down" period and has maintained strong identity. There is a neighborhood association (voluntary) that does a lot for the area as well. Prices have climbed there over the past years, but since it was very undervalued before I don't think things are out of line.

One thing to be aware of is that I-35W is due for widening in the near future, and TxDOT has a way of making projects into lifetime employment opportunities for project engineers. Fortunately Sylvania offers good access outward so that's not your only driving opportunity.

Good Luck! And keep us informed. It's always interesting to know what people find as they look around for a home.

#5 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:18 PM

Depending on your price range there is also Montecello, Crestwood and surrounding neigborhoods....Riveroaks has some very nice houses in a decent price range......

#6 elizabethtx1l

elizabethtx1l

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:36 PM

Depending on your price range there is also Montecello, Crestwood and surrounding neigborhoods....Riveroaks has some very nice houses in a decent price range......

View Post

We like the Monticello area a lot (it's close to downtown which is work for both of us) but a lot of the houses are a little more than we can afford. If we could find a great deal, we'd love it. :)

I don't know about River Oaks though. Any pointers? Where exactly is it?

#7 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:07 PM

If you are coming from down town on White Settlement rd you will pass montecello, crestwood and curve around by isabell rd that is part of river oaks...that is the "not so good part" keep going and you will come to a light and that is roberts cut off turn right and then turn right on barbara rd....there are some nice houses with decent sized yards there.. If I had found something in River Oaks before Crestwood I would have moved there..you get a bigger house for your money... :)

#8 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

Monticello and Crestwood​ are now caught up in the renovation bug. New home building and existing home renovation are seeing activity now they haven't seen in decades.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users