16 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

Soeone recently asked me if Fort Worth's two most expensive construction projects were underway simultaneously in Dickies and the AA HQ. They are indeed the two most expensive buildings I can find record of, but I haven't been able to find numbers on a lot of projects. Several of the other downtown skyscrapers (Burnett, Bank of America) probably are into the hundreds of millions. 

Dickies Arena - $540 Million

American Airlines Headquarters - $350 Million

Omni Hotel - $230 Million ($266 in 2017)

RadioShack HQ - $172 Million - ($237 in 2017)

Bass Hall - $180 Million (2014)

Frost Tower - $115 Million

Pier 1 building - $90 Million ($119 in 2017)

Hometown by Handlebar has many historic buildings listed in various blogs with inflation numbers. Here's a few I've found,

Hotel Texas - $39 Million

T&P Terminal and Warehouse - $54.6 Million

Masonic Temple  - $10 Million

Post Office - $17 Million

Will Rogers is one I've not been able to find and was probably worth a good amount for the time. 

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

Texas Motor Speedway cost was $250 million in 1997 (well over $350 million in today's money). DFW Airport at $700 million in 1974 would easily be the most expensive if you count it as a Fort Worth project. The publicly funded portion of the TRV would be up there as well. If you look at Tarrant County as a whole, AT&T Stadium comes in at $1.15 billion.

#3 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

Good call on TMS. I didn't really consider TRV as a single building. Some other infrastructure projects are probably up there as well.

The Chisholm Trail highway was $1.4 billion, but not all in Fort Worth. 

The I35 expansion between 30 and 287 is $1.6 billion.

TexRail is $1.034 billion

#4 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

Alliance Airport was at least $250 million when it opened in 1989, which is nearly $500 million in today's dollars.

The recent (ongoing?) expansion is another $250 million on top of that.

Sources:
http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

http://www.star-tele...le30320979.html

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

Amon Carter Stadium's 2012 rebuild was $164 million.

Schollmaier was $80.

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

The first phase of Clearfork, though it consisted of multiple buildings, was $180 million.

Any idea what some of the malls might have costed? They are probably right up there.

#7 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:51 AM

There is that ugly TCC brutalist urban renewal throwback that they cut into the bluff for an unbelievable $1,476 per square foot - something like $192 million at the time.   The total cost alone puts it up there.  If you calculate by cost per square foot then this would certainly be very near if not at the top of the list.  There was a lengthy thread about it here at the time.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#8 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:16 AM

I'm not generally a fan of brutalism, but I like that campus.

My blog: Doohickie

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

There is that ugly TCC brutalist urban renewal throwback that they cut into the bluff for an unbelievable $1,476 per square foot - something like $192 million at the time.....

I'm not generally a fan of brutalism, but I like that campus.

I don't actually feel as though the TCC TRV Campus is "brutal"; it actually has a serene feeling about it.  The staggering cost is most definitely brutal.

#10 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

I don't actually feel as though the TCC TRV Campus is "brutal"; it actually has a serene feeling about it.  The staggering cost is most definitely brutal.

It's a common misconception - I too thought this for a long time - that "brutalism" is related to the English word "brutal."

The excellent blog Greater Greater Washington explains it well: "The term originated in French, where 'brut' means wild, rough, or unfinished: brut Champagnes haven’t been sweetened with added sugar. ... [Modernist architect] Corbusier left his concrete structures 'brut,' thus inspiring 'Brutalism.'” So in this case, we're referring to the TCC campus' architectural style and materials.

#11 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

I agree with the definition of Brut, but the Washington folks are wrong about brut champagne. It has sugar, brut nature in theory does not have added sugar, but sometimes producers can't help themselves from adding a pinch.

#12 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:20 PM

Good ness. Didn't realize it was that much. $185 mil in 2011, 205m adjusted. 

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

The Cook's children expansion is expected to cost $349 million

The Zoo's multiphase expansion hits $100 million

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

A new winner which somehow slipped my mind.

Facebook's Data Center was $1 billion

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:14 AM

I wonder what Air Force Plant 4 costs. F-35s are in the 90-120 million range. I can't imagine the plant itself is under a billion. With contents it's probably several billion.

#16 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 10 December 2020 - 02:11 PM

If we're going to include building contents then let's throw BEP Fort Worth (Bureau of Engraving and Printing) in for giggles.  According to this article, they produce a massive amount of currency.  Using really rough math here: $233B / 2 facilities = 116.5B / 250 working days (not including 10 federal holidays) = $466M per day.  So that's about $2.3B per week?  I could be totally off, please chime in with your thoughts.

https://www.piworld....ast year alone.

The BEP Washington facility, along with the production facility in Fort Worth, Texas, printed a reported $233 billion worth of currency notes (roughly 7.4 billion notes) last year alone. The addition of the Fort Worth plant in 1991 was intended to better serve the currency needs of the western half of the nation and to act as a contingency operation in case of emergencies at the Washington facility.

Generally speaking, a datacenter is still probably the winner because you have the inherent value of the building itself including generators, electrical distribution, UPS, mechanical systems, security etc.  Then you have the value of the servers that live there and the value of the data that lives on the servers which who really knows that that equates to.  The biggest coefficient with a data center would be its uptime reliability as it relates to potential loss of business should there be a failure.  It's a staggeringly large amount of money per minute for every minute that say a credit card transactional data center is down but it varies from company to company.  But that's why you have redundancy within the facility itself and within the infrastructure of the company's other data centers. 

#17 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:55 PM

Are you only counting cost at time of construction? I wonder what the inflation-adjusted cost of Bomber Plant 4 would be today?

(Filled with F-16s?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users