#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

Fort Worth has lost a bicycling legend. Art Cowsen passed away a little after 9:00 AM on Monday, April, 28, 2008. Normally, I don’t report obituaries to this forum, but I felt compelled to post this information to the board and for those in the bicycling community who knew him. Art was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer nine years ago, and after surgery and later tests, it was determined that they didn’t get all of the cancer. The doctors at the time, gave him about a year and a half to live. Art said that he wasn’t going to let the cancer get him and he would continue riding his bicycle and living a healthy lifestyle. I am quite sure that his great attitude, continued exercise, and living right extended his life. I joined the Fort Worth Bicycling Association (FWBA) about 20 years ago, and Art was one of the first to welcome me to the club. He has been a great friend, mentor, and cycling buddy. I will miss him greatly. I can remember many times when Art was giving SAG support on bicycle tours, I would have a mechanical problem and he was there to either help me repair my bike, fix it himself, or offer me a loaner wheel, part, or even bicycle so I could continue the tour. If he loaned me something, by the time I finished the day, he would have my item repaired and put back on my bike. Art was a character, as he always had some funny story to tell. Ever since I have known him, Art was a talker. He also had a loud and kind of high voice. I remember at my first Hotter’n Hell in Wichita Falls, I could hear him somewhere in the parking lot while I was already waiting at the Starting line. I couldn’t see him, but I knew he was there by the sound of his voice in the distance.

Art was the backbone of the Fort Worth Bicycling Association. He would be willing to contribute in any way possible. He served in just about all of the board positions and he was President of the club both multiple times and multiple terms. He also served as Vice President in the same fashion. Art originated many of the association’s famous cycling events.

If anyone on this board knew him, it might be helpful to offer a charity that would be meaningful to Art in lieu of flowers for those that choose so. To start, the club will be taking donations to purchase an Art Cowsen Memorial Bench on the Trinity Trail. This will be a FWBA project. Other donations should go to causes of your choice that were near and dear to Art’s heart. Those that I know of are the American Cancer Society, the Multiple Sclerosis Society, and the Lance Armstrong Foundation - Life After Cancer Program (for children).

At this time, I don’t have the details of his funeral arrangements. I am also sure there will be several memorial rides for Art. For many years, he hosted the weekly Watermelon Waltz, after work. Also, he had already scheduled his Birthday Ride for late May in Benbrook.

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

Tonight, we gathered in the parking lot of Art's church in Forest Hill. Although this was an FWBA memorial, members of his church were there, along with his family. After the service, we all ate watermelon. Then after that, we went out for dinner at Joe's Pizza and Pasta. Many of the group told funny and humorous stories about cycling, ski trips, and Art.

I don't have all of the details, but visitation will be all day on Friday and the funeral service will be at 10:00 AM on Saturday, May 3, 2008 at the Berea Baptist Church. The address of the church is 6901 Forest Hill Drive, Forest Hill, Texas.

#3 urbancowboy

urbancowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sustainable, Livable, Urbanism

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Apr 28 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fort Worth has lost a bicycling legend. Art Cowsen passed away a little after 9:00 AM on Monday, April, 28, 2008. Normally, I don’t report obituaries to this forum, but I felt compelled to post this information to the board and for those in the bicycling community who knew him. Art was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer nine years ago, and after surgery and later tests, it was determined that they didn’t get all of the cancer. The doctors at the time, gave him about a year and a half to live. Art said that he wasn’t going to let the cancer get him and he would continue riding his bicycle and living a healthy lifestyle. I am quite sure that his great attitude, continued exercise, and living right extended his life. I joined the Fort Worth Bicycling Association (FWBA) about 20 years ago, and Art was one of the first to welcome me to the club. He has been a great friend, mentor, and cycling buddy. I will miss him greatly. I can remember many times when Art was giving SAG support on bicycle tours, I would have a mechanical problem and he was there to either help me repair my bike, fix it himself, or offer me a loaner wheel, part, or even bicycle so I could continue the tour. If he loaned me something, by the time I finished the day, he would have my item repaired and put back on my bike. Art was a character, as he always had some funny story to tell. Ever since I have known him, Art was a talker. He also had a loud and kind of high voice. I remember at my first Hotter’n Hell in Wichita Falls, I could hear him somewhere in the parking lot while I was already waiting at the Starting line. I couldn’t see him, but I knew he was there by the sound of his voice in the distance.

Art was the backbone of the Fort Worth Bicycling Association. He would be willing to contribute in any way possible. He served in just about all of the board positions and he was President of the club both multiple times and multiple terms. He also served as Vice President in the same fashion. Art originated many of the association’s famous cycling events.

If anyone on this board knew him, it might be helpful to offer a charity that would be meaningful to Art in lieu of flowers for those that choose so. To start, the club will be taking donations to purchase an Art Cowsen Memorial Bench on the Trinity Trail. This will be a FWBA project. Other donations should go to causes of your choice that were near and dear to Art’s heart. Those that I know of are the American Cancer Society, the Multiple Sclerosis Society, and the Lance Armstrong Foundation - Life After Cancer Program (for children).

At this time, I don’t have the details of his funeral arrangements. I am also sure there will be several memorial rides for Art. For many years, he hosted the weekly Watermelon Waltz, after work. Also, he had already scheduled his Birthday Ride for late May in Benbrook.

He is my best friend's dad. A wonderful, kind man, he will be missed.

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

It is a small world. I guess you have known Art, Jr. for quite some time.

#5 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:28 PM

My condolences, John.

While I did not know Art personally I saw his tire prints, as it were. There is no doubt he made this world a better place.

Thank you for sharing this with us. I appreciate being able to share the grief.

Greg

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:20 AM

Thank you, Greg. I now have more information on Art's funeral. The service for Art will be on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. at the Berea Baptist Church located at 6901 Forest Hill Drive, Forest Hill, TX. Also, there will be visitation on Friday at the Gregory Spencer Funeral Home, located at 4000 Miller Avenue, Fort Worth Texas 76119. Burial will be at Cedar Hill Memorial Park.

His obituary was featured in today's Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Here is a link to the article: http://www.star-tele...ory/616075.html

#7 urbancowboy

urbancowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sustainable, Livable, Urbanism

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Apr 29 2008, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is a small world. I guess you have known Art, Jr. for quite some time.

I do know Art Jr. But I'm actually close to his daughter.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

Urbancowboy, I apologize for making the assumption that you were close to Art, Jr.

I'd like to continue my tribute to Art by providing a link to his official obituary in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. A few of us worked with the paper to make sure that the story was published. Over the last several years, the paper had 22 articles where Art was either mentioned or was featured because of his bicycling. Some of the mentions were just a listing of his weekly rides from Forest Hill.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.star-tele...ory/616075.html

In future posts, I will tell you of some of the funny stories that Art was involved with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users