#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

Throughout the years Overton Park Plaza at the northeast corner of I-20 and Hulen has always been near 100% occupied with its big box stores. However, the bad economy is starting to show its face at the center. The old Circuit City space has been vacant for quite some time and now the Albertson's is closing. I stopped in at PetSmart and saw the Albertson's was having a liquidation sale. I then went over there and bought a lot of groceries with the smallest discount beign 10% off. Some discounts were greater. I asked around and the store employees stated that nothing was going to replace the Albertson's grocery in the immediate future. The space will be vacant.

#2 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

Yes I live in Northeast Fort Worth near the Hurst border and we too now have several vacancies... Ethan Allen on 820, Circuit City, Albertson's, SYMS, Comp USA, Hollywood Video. http://www.hursted.c...ss/hotspots.htm

#3 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

How about Sprouts Farmers Market or its lesser extent, Newflower Farmers Market? Specs, anyone?

I read elsewhere that H-E-B (grocery chain) is scouting for locations across the DFW metroplex – perhaps, with a new concept (i.e., hybrid format as seen in Houston).

With Hurst, abandoned storefronts could be blessing in disguise due to construction along Segment 2 (West Fork Tollway?) in the near future – once northeast Loop 820 is completed.

#4 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

That Power Center has always been full, I have been wondering when PetSmart leaves they have that new one only blocks away by Best Buy. I kept hearing rumours that Home Depot was looking for a new location but I guess that stalled out. I wonder why Albertson's closes this one and but opens a new one in the old Minyards?

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

Yes, over the years that center has been almost fully occupied. The old restaurant pad that housed Tia's has been vacant for a number of years, in addition to the big box vacancies.

In the thread about the grocery store shuffle in the TCU Area, the explanation about Albertson's opening up in the old Minyard's space is pretty clear. The TCU store was profitable and because Kroger purchased their building, they didn't want to leave a profitable location, so they bought out the nearest store they could find. It is interesting they are serving the same market area with one less store and with less square feet than what was present in the smallest store.

#6 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Thurman52 @ Jan 25 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder why Albertson's closes this one and but opens a new one in the old Minyards?

Because Westcliff Plaza must be super duper cheap relative to University or Hulen. The StarTel-Gram said that DFW is the most competitive grocery market in the country. Then HEB starts nosing around and Aldi moves in. I think it is likely that one or more of the newcomers will fold; maybe Albertson's is hunkering down waiting for the storm to pass. I live near the one at Sycamore School and McCart and we shop there often. I've wondered whether they would close but they just keep pluggin' along.
My blog: Doohickie

#7 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jan 25 2010, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The old restaurant pad that housed Tia's has been vacant for a number of years

I really liked Tia's, too... mellow.gif

#8 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

We used to eat at Tia'a off Hulen after church most Sundays. I think most all their locations are closed now. The ones in Grapevine and Lewisville closed down about 3 or 4 years ago. Now we have a Uncle Julios a block north of where the old Tia's in Grapevine sits. The Tia's building have all set vacant.

#9 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

With H-E-B in Burleson slated for 2011, I wouldn’t be surprised if they will be signing leases within the DFW metroplex within a year or two.

Being a competitive market, you say, that may be one reason why Walmart is downsizing its stores – mainly in new locations.

#10 annrenee

annrenee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

Great news for Fort Worth!! Sprouts has leased a portion of the old Albertson's on I-20 and Hulen. Due to open the beginning of next year. See today's Star-Telegram for the info. FINALLY!

#11 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

Check for Sprouts Farmers Market – see my post above. CompUSA needs to come on board. New stores are located in Plano, Euless and eventually, Arlington.

Did I mention that Circuit City might be revived in terms of re-branding?

#12 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

Kroger Fresh Fare (near TCU) will open this June, following with H-E-B (Burleson) in August – in addition, Sprouts Farmers Market during the early part of 2011.

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

With the addition of Sprouts, the center will undergo a $2 million renovation. Stone and stucco will be added to the facade of the center from one end to the other. In addition to the facade, new landscaping will be added.

The current vacancies include a 32,000 SF former Circuit City space, 30,000 SF half of the old Albertson's store next to Sprouts, several 1,000 to 2,000 SF spaces, and a 6,000 SF pad site facing I-20. I'm guessing that's the old Tia's space.

#14 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Good to hear, it needs a facelift. Maybe breaking those huge parking lots up with some trees? There was a rumour a few years back that Home Depot was going to move out, anyone heard anything lately?

#15 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jun 8 2010, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the addition of Sprouts, the center will undergo a $2 million renovation. Stone and stucco will be added to the facade of the center from one end to the other. In addition to the facade, new landscaping will be added.

That's really interesting. I'm there quite a bit and I've often wondered what's limiting occupancy. I thought aesthetics might play a role, but I personally think they did a nice job with the design originally. Quality materials, clean simple lines without a lot of cheap adornment, interesting design elements like the curved wall thing. It looks a little dated, but not awful.

It makes me wonder if it's possible to create a really timeless design for a strip mall or is it simply the nature of automobile oriented retail to have to freshen up every 15 - 20 years?

#16 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

If you look up and down Hulen Street you'll notice that the Texas chic stone fronts are getting to be standard on "first tier" shopping centers.

QUOTE (Doohickie @ Jan 25 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I live near the one at Sycamore School and McCart and we shop there often. I've wondered whether they would close but they just keep pluggin' along.

In fact, they just completed a rennovation. They took out the self-serve registers (which I loathed when they went in, but I kinda got used to them). With an Aldi and Wal-Mart to contend with at that corner, I think they see their niche as the "full service" grocery in that area.

#17 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

Who is moving in the former location of Krispy Kreme on Hulen, anyone know?

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

The former Krispy Kreme on Hulen is being converted into a Taco Cabana.

#19 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:49 AM

I read somewhere the other day that 5 Guys is going on the spot where Bennigan's once resided on Hulen. That's indeed good news.

#20 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (JBB @ Jul 30 2010, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read somewhere the other day that 5 Guys is going on the spot where Bennigan's once resided on Hulen. That's indeed good news.

You are correct!

Hulen Corner
Coming Soon!

4833 S. Hulen Street
Fort Worth, TX 76132

Tel: 817-263-8900
Fax: 817-263-8903

#21 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:56 AM

^^^ Actually the Bennigans building got torn down and a new building is in place for multiple tennants. Besides 5 Guys, Pizza Inn is opening there too.

#22 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Yep. I saw the sign yesterday- Pizza Inn and Five Guys. There is a Five Guys near my sis-in-law's home in Albany, NY, but they say they never go there cuz it's too expensive.

Sprouts is really moving forward in Overton Park Plaza. The roadway in the parking lot is blocked in front of the store; apparently they are putting new entrances in- two entrances facing out. (The old Albertson's doors faced to the side.) It's good to see the energy going into that place.

#23 RPLS

RPLS

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking and Automobiles

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

Greetings all. This is my first post! newlaugh.gif

I live nearby and have noticed signs for a Jersey Mike's Subs between Five Guys and the Pizza Inn.

Also, it appears as though Texas Roadhouse will be moving into the former Tia's Tex-Mex space in Overton Park Plaza.

#24 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

(Assuming RPLS means what I think it does) from on RPLS to another, welcome aboard.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#25 RPLS

RPLS

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

(Assuming RPLS means what I think it does) from on RPLS to another, welcome aboard.

Thanks for the welcome Andy and yes, RPLS is what you think it is. Always nice to meet a fellow RPLS.

The Tia'a Tex-Mex location did have a TABC liquor sign out front saying it was for a Texas Roadhouse and now that sign is long gone and there is no work being done to the building so maybe it's not happening???

#26 RPLS

RPLS

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

Well according to this link Texas Roadhouse is still going in...

http://www.weingarte...a(09-13-10).pdf

#27 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

I find it hard to get enthusiastic about a chained called Texas Roadhouse with a corporate headquarters in Kentucky:

Texas Roadhouse
6040 Dutchman’s Lane
Louisville, KY 40205

...especially when they've sued several real Texas roadhouses to get them to change their names. Better than an empty building, though, I guess.

#28 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:20 PM

Here's an updated site plan from the developer. The most notable addition is Buy Buy Baby, which will take up the other half of the old Albertsons space. A jewelry store and Thai restaurant are also new. But, as Texas Roadhouse prepares to move in, TGI Friday's has left.

Along the two miles of South Hulen Street from I-20 to Granbury Road, that makes at least five casual sit-down restaurants that have gone out of business in the past 3-4 years: Applebee's, Don Pablo's, Bennigan's, Golden Corral and now Friday's. To the area's credit, a number of them (and other empty spaces) have been reoccupied, but it seems like South Hulen, like many suburban areas that boomed in the '80s and '90s, now has to work hard just to keep its head above water.

#29 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

Here's an updated site plan from the developer. The most notable addition is Buy Buy Baby, which will take up the other half of the old Albertsons space. A jewelry store and Thai restaurant are also new. But, as Texas Roadhouse prepares to move in, TGI Friday's has left.

Along the two miles of South Hulen Street from I-20 to Granbury Road, that makes at least five casual sit-down restaurants that have gone out of business in the past 3-4 years: Applebee's, Don Pablo's, Bennigan's, Golden Corral and now Friday's. To the area's credit, a number of them (and other empty spaces) have been reoccupied, but it seems like South Hulen, like many suburban areas that boomed in the '80s and '90s, now has to work hard just to keep its head above water.

I don't know about others', but I avoid Hulen south of I-20 and the whole CityView area as much as possible due the the PITA congestion. I really have to have a good reason to think about going there.

#30 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:38 AM

I noticed as I was westbound on I-20 that Friday's had closed. I also avoid Hulen and Bryant-irvin

#31 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:11 PM

Along the two miles of South Hulen Street from I-20 to Granbury Road, that makes at least five casual sit-down restaurants that have gone out of business in the past 3-4 years: Applebee's, Don Pablo's, Bennigan's, Golden Corral and now Friday's.

I wouldn't count South Hulen as dead just yet. Of the five restaurants you mentioned, two of them (Applebee's and Don Pablo's), were closed as part of a larger corporate retrenching, and of course, Bennigan's shut down nationwide. On a positive note, the retail center that replaced Bennigan's filled quickly with tenants, including a couple of smaller chain restaurants, and the parking lot is full just about all the time. The Buffalo Wild Wings that replaced Don Pablo's packs in far more people than Don Pablo's ever did. The Cotton Patch, which replaced Applebee's, looks to be doing pretty well, and the Red Lobster, which has been on Hulen forever, still has a waiting list for a table, even on most weeknights.

As far as Overton Park Plaza, the thing that hurt this center the most was the opening of Chapel Hill. A couple of upscale stores left for the glitzier center to the north. My impression is that Chapel Hill attracts wealthier customers, customers who previously would have had to drive to Overton Park Plaza. To a lesser extent, the opening of University Village put a dent in the center's attractiveness as well. I figure both Chapel Hill and University Village have more higher income households in their market area, so a repositioning was inevitable.

I believe Overton Park Plaza was the first, "Power Center" built in Fort Worth. It is yet to be seen if the concept will work for the long-term. It sure is hard to attract customers when a couple of big-box retailers leave. What's that saying about all your eggs in one basket?

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hopefully, the remodeling and an improving economy will help the center lease the vacant spaces.

#33 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:46 AM

Don't count the Hulen area out just yet... Hulen Mall is expanding by adding an outdoor plaza the will house Fort Worth's first Abuelo's Mexican Food and BJ's Brewhouse with room for up to two more restaurants. The new addition should be open by November. Here is the article and site plan http://www.fwbusines...r-plaza.html>>>

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

I had known about BJ's going in at the mall for a couple of weeks, but I wasn't sure where they were going to build it. At first, I thought they might demolish the old Larry's Shoes building. Now I know the specifics. Thanks for posting the link.

#35 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:27 AM

As far as Overton Park Plaza, the thing that hurt this center the most was the opening of Chapel Hill. A couple of upscale stores left for the glitzier center to the north. My impression is that Chapel Hill attracts wealthier customers, customers who previously would have had to drive to Overton Park Plaza. To a lesser extent, the opening of University Village put a dent in the center's attractiveness as well. I figure both Chapel Hill and University Village have more higher income households in their market area, so a repositioning was inevitable.

I believe Overton Park Plaza was the first, "Power Center" built in Fort Worth. It is yet to be seen if the concept will work for the long-term. It sure is hard to attract customers when a couple of big-box retailers leave. What's that saying about all your eggs in one basket?

Who left Overton Park Plaza for Chapel Hill?

I would have never thought of OPP as a "power center". It was all discount and big box stores. No fancy stuff, really. IMHO

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

I believe that it would be considered a "Power Center". Here's a definition: A shopping center with few Tenants, most of them Anchor Tenants. Generally, a power center's anchor tenants are ‘category killers,' that is, the dominant retailers in the markets they serve.

#37 annrenee

annrenee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

The best reason for me to head to Overton Park Plaza is the opening of Sprouts! Thrilled to have it in Fort Worth.
Having lived in Fort Worth in the 90s and again mid 2000s to now, I think Hulen/Bryant Irvin has a much stronger retail presence than it used to. But I do avoid the area certain times of the day and year--it's an automobile disaster area.

#38 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

Who left Overton Park Plaza for Chapel Hill?

James Avery, which sells Christian-themed jewelry, and Whatchamacallit, which sells prom dresses, were originally in Overton Park Plaza. When Chapel Hill opened, they moved to that center. While not "big-box", they did occupy fairly large amounts of the retail space, and attracted a lot of customers on their own.

It may seem strange that I referred to a store that sells prom dresses as "upscale". While the term may not apply to the style, as any parent of a teenage girl can attest, it definitely describes the price tags.

#39 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

...While the term may not apply to the style, as any parent of a teenage girl can attest, it definitely describes the price tags.

I have 3 daughters ages 15-20.

#40 annie

annie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

Homegoods Store is now listed as a new tenant (I think the old Circuit City spot), which makes me VERY happy.
It's a great fit for southwest Fort Worth.

#41 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

Nice.

Overton Park Plaza is probably trying to get their act together before the proposed mega shopping center at I-20 & Winscott gets off the ground.

#42 Corsicana33

Corsicana33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Cars, Six Flags, Architecture, Cooking, Roadtrips and Having Fun

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hey just noticed on their site map that HomeGoods is taking circuit city's place AND Bennigans is coming back to take TGI Fridays old spot. Excited about Bennigans coming back!

#43 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

Bennigans went bankrupt and went out of business. I wonder if someone bought the name. I noticed construction on the Circuit City a while ago, but so far nothing in the old TGIF.

Ah, here it is: Bennigan's closed their corporate-owned stores in the U.S. in July, 2008 as part of Chapter 7 bankruptcy. They were bought out in October 2008 and the new ownership is opening new franchises. You may remember there was a Bennigans around the corner on Hulen (is that were Five Guys, etc., are now?)

#44 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

That's right, the old Bennigan's site is where Five Guys, Jersey Mike's and Pizza Inn are now. There's also a new Bennigan's in Lake Worth, and one at DFW Airport Terminal D.

I see from the latest site plan that Clothes Mentor women's wear store is taking the place of several empty spots next to Buy Buy Baby. The Star-Telegram had a big feature on them a few weeks ago:

Resale shops sprout up across DFW

#45 FarSouth

FarSouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

By the looks of that site plan that leaves one more large retail spot left what is left to fill that void with the new shopping center in Benbrook rumored to open and with everything else that is already in the area?

#46 Corsicana33

Corsicana33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Cars, Six Flags, Architecture, Cooking, Roadtrips and Having Fun

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Bennigan's has put their sign up on the side of the former TGI Friday's building and they have started renovating the vacant space! Also, In-N-Out has a frame up for the new restaurant going up in the former Larry's Shoes plot!

#47 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

Bennigan's has put their sign up on the side of the former TGI Friday's building and they have started renovating the vacant space! Also, In-N-Out has a frame up for the new restaurant going up in the former Larry's Shoes plot!

.... Bennigans?

They're back?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#48 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

.... Bennigans?

They're back?

Yep... they're back!! http://bennigans.com...ns/coming-soon/

#49 FarSouth

FarSouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

My arteries can already feel the Monte Cristo.

#50 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

A couple of new tenants have leased space within the center.  Party City will be taking part of the old Circuit City space and La Madeleine has leased the old Mattress Giant space on the southeast corner.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Southwest FW, Shopping Centers, Hulen Street, Big Box Stores, Suburban Development

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users