13 replies to this topic

#1 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Looks like this city is getting an outdoor outlet mall, much like the ones in Grand Prairie and the Houston Premium Outlets like I used to go to while I was studying at PVAMU. 

Here's the FWBP article:

The Outlets at Alliance will be located north of Cabela's.

Scott Nishimura
snishimura@bizpress.net

Woodmont plans a 350,000-square-foot retail outlet center in the Alliance Corridor just north of the gigantic Cabela’s store.

Woodmont Land Co. – land acquisition arm for the Fort Worth-based Woodmont Outlets - has entered a contract to buy 45 acres at Interstate 35W just north of Texas 170 from the Alliance developer Hillwood, Woodmont and Hillwood announced.

Groundbreaking for the Outlets at Alliance is scheduled this fall, and the center is scheduled to open in the fall of 2015. The center will have more than 50 outlet and value retail brand stores and more than 1,500 parking spaces.

“There’s just so much activity in the (Alliance) corridor, that there’s a natural market that’s been created there,” Lisa Wagner, partner at EWB Development of Vermont, the marketing and leasing agent for the property, said in an interview.

The 350,000 square feet is the first of two phases planned, she said. It’s not yet clear how much of the 45 acres the first phase will cover, or how large the second phase might be, she said.

The development group unveiled the project in December at an International Council of Shopping Centers meeting, she said. Stephen Coslik, Woodmont Co.’s chairman, mentioned the upcoming development in a presentation last week at the Greater Fort Worth Real Estate Council’s annual commercial real estateforecast.

The site plan shows as many as eight buildings ranging in size from 25,000 square feet to 65,000 square feet. The development group hasn’t yet announced any tenants. Wagner said “it’s typical” for such a project to have three or four anchors.

Marketing materials for the center tout its access to I-35, proximity to the “retail halo of a top-producing Cabela’s,” the Alliance Corridor’s fast-growing employer and residential base, the population of the broader region, and the area’s big tourism base.

The development team will pitch the center to “higher-end brands, because the market demographics in Fort Worth are extremely strong,” Wagner said. “I’m not talking about luxury brands; I’m talking about really good global brands.”

While it’s difficult to get into the Alliance Corridor from other parts of the area, Wagner said that doesn’t detract from the appeal of the site.

“We feel there is plenty of traffic on that highway,” she said. “The traffic counts, the population of Fort Worth, and some modicum of tourism is going to be enough to make that center successful.”

The development group has had a “phenomenal response” so far from prospective tenants since unveiling the plans, she said.

EWB estimates there’s an average daily traffic count of 85,000 “in front of the site.” Alliance is home to 320 companies, more than 31,000 employees, and more than 7,700 single-family homes. Several million tourists visit the area annually, EWB estimated.

The Cabela’s has “a head-turning customer count of approximately 3.5 million annually,” EWB’s marketing materials say. “The No. 2 store in the chain, Alliance-Fort Worth’s Cabela’s reported a 35,000-per-day traffic count in 2011.”

“Fort Worth has long deserved an outlet center of its own,” Coslik said in a release. “With an affluent population of nearly 2.5 million, and the explosive growth and prosperity of this region, we feel confident in saying that this will be a very successful center.”
Woodmont Land Co. plans a 350,000-square-foot retail outlet center in the Alliance Corridor just north of the gigantic Cabela’s store, the Fort Worth developer, its marketing and leasing agent, and Hillwood confirmed.

http://fwbusinesspre...Fort-Worth.aspx

Alliance.jpg

I know, I know. It's ULTRA suburban sprawly development. But since it's out in Alliance, I'm expecting it. And it may even help spur more development at a faster pace. 

All I know is, I just hope they have an Adidas outlet store. I need a new pair of shoes at under $50. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#2 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

@Jeriat, I have a freshman at PV now and I've been to the Houston Premium Outlet a few times of the past few months and I've come to believe the stories about manufacturers making outlet mall-specific items of lesser quality.

As an Alliance resident, I look forward to this mall as well Costco filling in some of the empty space along 35W.

I know it's encouraging sprawl and threatens Fort Worth's future as a urban mecca, but the development is going somewhere and it might as well be in Fort Worth.

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

I know it's encouraging sprawl and threatens Fort Worth's future as a urban mecca, but the development is going somewhere and it might as well be in Fort Worth.

Like I said in the original post, yes, it is just more sprawl. And I accept this simply because it's out in Alliance. 

But I don't think it really threatens our future in being a true urban city... if done right. You could probably think of Fort Worth as two cities in one (the "Core Hoods" around downtown and everything outside of it) it's possible. 

Also, I would say that I know your kid, but I already graduated in '12. I wish 'em the best. I gotta say, I'm a little jealous knowing the changes that have gone on and are going on now that I've left...

7fwPZnE.png

#4 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Cant wait

ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#5 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:41 AM

"Only one of these outlet malls is going to succeed": Council Member Dennis Shingleton

http://www.star-tele...le63465547.html

Fort Worth council considers opening pocketbook to attract another Alliance area outlet mall.

I wonder if an analogy between the mall shopping industry in Miami would ever apply in our region. Miami is widely recognized as the "business capital of the Caribbean area" and a lot, I mean a lot of people fly into that city to shop. They will load up up multiple giant rolling cases with things that are not available back home, paying massive amounts for excess and overweight baggage fees to American Airlines, usually in cash. The retail industry there caters to his business with sales and service employees available to speak Spanish, Creole, and French to the customers who know where to go for best prices and service. DFW is becoming a major connecting point for passengers traveling from the Far East and South America, and it might be possible that "shopping tourism" could be a viable retail hook for businesses close to the airport. Transportation and close-by hotel accommodations would be key to making this work...

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:02 PM

“If they both get built, they will split the market and neither one will be a huge success,” Tanger said. “The tenant community wants to support one dominant center that will be a big success.”

http://www.star-tele...le66407092.html

Any concrete plans to initiate commuter train or bus rapid-transit lanes into this area from downtown? Can you even begin to imagine the traffic gridlock around that area with Cabella's, one or two outlet malls and a race happening on a weekend?

#7 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

Woodmont has pulled the plug on this project.

FWTX.com: Outlets at Alliance no longer moving forward

#8 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:06 PM

I've never really understood the allure of outlet centers.  I know what they're supposed to be:  outlets where people can get great deals on discontinued/opened/damaged/sample merchandise, but the few times I let me wife drag me to one, it seems like the selection just isn't there, and if you do find what you want, the price is never that much of a bargain.... certainly not enough to offset the cost of the drive.

I would think it would be more efficient to do outlets online.  The selection would be less hit-or-miss if it was all viewable online, and I think not having a retail location would further lower prices.

But then again, my idea of shopping doesn't match up to a lot of other people.

My blog: Doohickie

#9 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

Woodmont has pulled the plug on this project.

FWTX.com: Outlets at Alliance no longer moving forward

...I mean, with the Tanger Outlets happening next to TMS, I kinda thought this happened already.

I guess they had to make an official announcement?

7fwPZnE.png

#10 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

That's pretty much what the announcement says, more or less.

My blog: Doohickie

#11 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

Saw that coming two developments with two exits if each other. No chance. Now repurpose the land around Cabellas for corporate relocation good access to 35 and 170.

#12 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:06 AM

Tanger Outlets officially opened on October 27, as reported in the Fort Worth Business Press.  In the article below, Steven B. Tanger, CEO, is quoted to wit: 

We are excited to provide a world-class retail destination to the residents of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and contribute to the city's economic growth...

I think he was referring to the City of Fort Worth.  But it doesn't appear to be so, based on the quote.  Please note that the list of dignitaries named in the FWBP article includes NO one from Dallas.  Not Mayor Rawlings, not the mayor pro tem from Dallas, not the president of the Dallas Chamber of Commerce, not even the head of the Dallas Regional Chamber of Commerce (who was so instrumental in trying to recruit Amazon to the City of Dallas-Fort Worth).

Mayor Betsy Price was there to represent Fort Worth, which, I guess, is being considered "half" of the City of Dallas-Fort Worth.  Can't help being sarcastic with this nonsensical pretense.  Maybe we should hold a new election and elect Mayor Price as Mayor of the City of Dallas-Fort Worth (since she at least showed up for this grand opening).

Or maybe we should have re-named the city Dalworth when it was proposed back in the 1960s.

http://www.fortworth...0198871704.html

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

Maybe Mr. Tanger, thinks the city is Dallas-Fort Worth?  The article states that it was written by the FWBP Staff.  I wonder if those were two separate quotes put together?  I don't know, but I do wish that people would get our name spoken correctly.

#14 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

I think it's just generic talk by generic people. Kinda like people who live in 76244 say they live in "Keller" and down south they live in "Crowley".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alliance, Outlets, Mall, Retail, Shopping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users