• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:55 PM

I have been curious about this sign at 3734 Hemphill ever since I first saw it driving by a few years ago.  I finally got around to actually stopping and taking a photo.

sign.jpg

Anyone know anything about its history?

Judging from the general design my guess is the sign is from sometime in the late 1930s or perhaps the 1940s.   The building it is in front of is still operating under the name of Red's Lounge but is just a very ugly cinder block box that appears to be much newer than the sign.

Perhaps the existing building was a replacement for a previous one that burned down or was otherwise destroyed?    I am curious as to how far back the sign dates and what sort of place it was when the sign was new.  What sort of dancing went on there and to what music?  Was it perhaps a honky tonk?

Below is the photo I took that includes the nasty cinder block building.  Not the kind of place you would expect to have such a cool sign outside of.

building.jpg

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#2 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:52 PM

According to tad.org it was built in1948.

#3 M C Toyer

M C Toyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

A quick review of newspaper archives shows it began as an Italian restaurant (first ad in 1947) then became Red's about 10 years later with a succession of owners and occasional name changes.  Looks to me to just be a bar that adapts to the changing neighborhood. Saw one reference to a couple of homicides when the owner opened fire on a group of unruly customers.  I would expect any music came from a jukebox.  The sign does have bit of art deco motif but might have been recycled.

#4 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

I hope you don't mind but I posted your pictures and query on the Facebook Group "Remember in Fort Worth When..."

It got a ton of replies and history of the joint which was apparently just a honky tonk with a jukebox. Red's niece was one of the respondents. If you are not a member of facebook, let me know and I can copy the comments for you.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#5 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

I've seen the Red's sign on Hemphill and I am fairly certain that there is a very similar sign on NW 28th Street somewhere between N. Main and Azle Avenue.  Now, I'll have to look for that sign again...

#6 M C Toyer

M C Toyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:23 AM

Andy -

I'd like to view the Facebook posts. 

Do you have to be recommended by a current member to join the site?  I clicked the "join" tab and it changed to "pending" but before it was approved the link reverted to "join."

M C

#7 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

I'll see what I can do. You should be on there anyway. Aren't we friends on Facebook already? If not, send me a friend request. You should be able to find me as Andy Nold.

-edit-

I just checked the group and it looks like you'll have to wait for admin approval.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#8 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:16 PM

Ghost Writer and MC - thanks for the helpful research.

Andy:  I think it is great that you posted the pictures to the Facebook group.  I have now been able to view the thread. Very interesting - and your posting the pictures sparked happy memories for some of the people on the group.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#9 Askelon

Askelon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:13 PM

I am "pending" for the "Remember in Fort Worth When," page so some of this info might be old news,,,My Father ( FWPD,) would stop in Reds about once a week. I met him there maybe 20 times ( late 70's- early 80's.) I seem to remember that there was a "Red'. Tall, reddish hair (of course.) It was a "regulars " type of place where, sigh, yes, "everybody knows your name." Jukebox, dance floor -which would have tables with food on it for covered dish dinners. Somewhat middle aged crowd at that time. Mostly full of plumbing company owners, electricians, police, welders, some lawyers, etc. Haven't been in the place in at least 20+ years. Also remember that red beer set-ups were quite popular among the patrons that I knew - Miller Lites, tomato juice, and Tabasco sauce. I still have one every year on my Dad's birthday.  

Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible. F. Zappa.

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:26 PM

Welcome to the forum!

#11 Askelon

Askelon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:54 PM

Look forward to it. Thanx for your assistance.

Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible. F. Zappa.

#12 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

Please join my FB Groups, "Cowtown Attractions I Loved Before" and "Closed and Forgotten Cowtown Eateries". Lots of information and photos.

I am "pending" for the "Remember in Fort Worth When," page so some of this info might be old news,,,My Father ( FWPD,) would stop in Reds about once a week. I met him there maybe 20 times ( late 70's- early 80's.) I seem to remember that there was a "Red'. Tall, reddish hair (of course.) It was a "regulars " type of place where, sigh, yes, "everybody knows your name." Jukebox, dance floor -which would have tables with food on it for covered dish dinners. Somewhat middle aged crowd at that time. Mostly full of plumbing company owners, electricians, police, welders, some lawyers, etc. Haven't been in the place in at least 20+ years. Also remember that red beer set-ups were quite popular among the patrons that I knew - Miller Lites, tomato juice, and Tabasco sauce. I still have one every year on my Dad's birthdayPlease Joint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users