11 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

I am really happy about the new Kayak rentals on The Trinity downtown. My wife and I have been saying for years that we want to play on The Trinity but don't really have room to store kayak's. Plus, it is usually smarter to rent watercraft that you don't use with great regularity. We will spend a lot less money renting kayaks than we would by buying them even if we assume we could sell them later.

Too easy. Walk over to the river, get in and go. I am too busy today (On line CPE classes for CPA license) or we would already be down there. I think Saturday we will do it for our first time.

I have never kayaked before. Have done quite a bit of canoing before and think I will figure it out. My sister moved to Colorado 7 years ago. I think mostly for kayaking. Her and her husband, and now 4 kids, hit those rivers pretty hard. They live in Edwards and are wet about half the time. In the warm season. July.

Took this from my balcony just now.

Posted Image

Closer look...
Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#2 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:17 PM

Going to have to test out some paddleboards soon.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#3 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

Just took this shot. Was surprised to see Kayaking here in January. I wonder if it is that rental company. I hope so. I want to do it. They started up in the Fall, about the time I was trying to have a heart attack and I never did. (Likely, good thing) Now I am in great shape and want to do it. I may walk down there today to see if there is a post. This shot is on the North end of the waterfalls, so I am guessing these are private or they rent them up North somewhere.
Looks like lots of fun. My wife is a bit chicken of the water. She is a good enough swimmer, just a chicken person. With a life preserver on, I see no real danger.

Shots off of my balcony.
Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#4 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

Although I am not in the best of shape, I have kayaked several times on LadyBird Lake in Austin. One thing to think of, is if you go down river, you either need to prepare for heavy paddling to get back to your starting point, of have some one to pick you up.

Ladybird lake has a LOT of underwater weeds/growth that it is easy to get tangled in. The Trinity looks so clean along the banks, that it doesn't look like that would be a problem.

After my first kayak adventure, I was so gungho, that I went to look at kayaks. Not cheap. Finally considered that I needed to rent for a while to make sure my investment would really pay off. That was a good decision, because it got soooo hot this summer, that I didn't do anything outside that would contribute to heat stroke so that would have been storage fee and purchase money down the drain.

Try it out, and have fun.

GenE

#5 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

There is a skull rental down on Beach, been meaning to get a photo of it. Maybe it's a skulling club, not sure.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

It's the boathouse for the Fort Worth Rowing Club. There's rowers out on the river in the early evenings in the summer months.

http://www.fortworthrowing.com/

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

One of my cycling buddies is also a member of the rowing club. From time to time, when I'm riding the bike trail to Gateway, I will see him at the boat house, or on the river rowing.

#8 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

The thought of getting in the trinity canal is unappealing to me. Street runoff and trash... Maybe some of that is behind your wife's chicken-ness ;-)

#9 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

The thought of getting in the trinity canal is unappealing to me. Street runoff and trash... Maybe some of that is behind your wife's chicken-ness ;-)

Street runoff...yeah sounds like every river in America. We're not talking about bathing in it and drinking it.

#10 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

If I had to guess, I would say the Trinity (In Fort worth) is cleaner than 95% of all bodies of water that people have been swimming in for 100 years. (including swimming pools full of chlorine, which is really a poison in itself) After 2 summers of lots of swimming in it, I have not heard of anybody getting sick from it. I have been in the river once and I am pretty sure it only made me smarter and more handsome...
www.fortworthview.com

#11 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:51 AM

Street runoff...yeah sounds like every river in America. We're not talking about bathing in it and drinking it.

I don't get in those rivers either. I don't know about you, but whenever I swim, I somehow manage to get some of the water in my mouth and eyes...

#12 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Pretty windy afternoon but seems all these guys new what they were doing.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users