25 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:22 AM

Seen a few things about this recently. Here's an FWBP article on it. 

56969fa162b14.image.png?resize=760%2C408

Several recent UWS new constructions have been disappointing and suburban, (the Bank of Texas branch immediately to the West of this development a prime example). I hope as land becomes more premium for downtown and the UWS we see some better designs. The rendering provided is subject to change but looks decent.. 

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

Its the wrong design in the wrong place. It looks more residential than commercial. Disappointing. :mellow: 

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:36 PM

I'll make a judgement when I see the site plan. 

The design itself looks suburban, which actually fits the look for that section of downtown... sadly. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

To be honest, this doesn't look any more suburban than anything else that's currently at that intersection. The vacant lots are more urban that the existing construction.

#5 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:43 PM

To be honest, this doesn't look any more suburban than anything else that's currently at that intersection. The vacant lots are more urban that the existing construction.

Agreed. It may be nondescript, uninspired, cookie-cutter, formulaic, and, er, suburban, but it is two story, and it is taking up land that is currently just collecting blowing plastic shopping bags and providing forage to grasshoppers. Hopefully the new building will not feel the need to have a lawn in front, and will feel free to belly-up-to-the-sidewalk, a wide sidewalk at that. Is the second floor for lease, looks like it could be a nice apartment or two...

We should cheer up, it could have just been a glass box with a door. With the developing "glut" of office space downtown one could not expect a conservative banking company (just look at the name and the name of the competitor down the street) to actually build speculative space now.

#6 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:09 AM

A good comparison to this project would be the bank project, NW/Rosedale@Forest Park; and which overall, is better than this project or the one at 7th@Penn St.  Once the parking lot is revealed, sadly we will see just how much suburban it feels.

#7 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

It does look like it belongs on Hulen st.

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:47 PM

It does look like it belongs on Hulen st.

"Hulen Street, north of I-30!" :swg:

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

americanbank-600x400_zps5hi28rfq.jpg

Doesn't look much different, but at least it comes up to the sidewalk. Quite dull still.

#10 dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:hockey, cars, architecture, photography, everything and anything apple, medicine.

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:24 PM

infinitely better i think

#11 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:31 AM

I guess an architect views building design per location from a different perspective.  But, again my guess, the bank's site acquisition and development people have their own say in what they want the branches to look like at a particular locale.  Maybe the two-story "mansion" look is in vogue with these people.

#12 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:48 PM

americanbank-600x400_zps5hi28rfq.jpg

Doesn't look much different, but at least it comes up to the sidewalk. Quite dull still.

giphy.gif

7fwPZnE.png

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

The land was cleared today. Guess it will go up soon.

#14 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 07:44 PM

Same reaction as my last post...

7fwPZnE.png

#15 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:47 AM

The entrance doesn't look very pedestrian-friendly.

Overall, it looks like a nice building to me (I like the stone), it just looks like it belongs in suburbia instead.

- Dylan

#16 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

C3ROpzuUoAIGpgN.jpg

All framed up. This has a similar issue as the Oleander Apartments on Rosedale where there's a big retaining wall along the sidewalk at Summit (kinda visible on the lower right of image, compare the wall to the size of the white truck). 

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

I guess an architect views building design per location from a different perspective.  But, again my guess, the bank's site acquisition and development people have their own say in what they want the branches to look like at a particular locale.  Maybe the two-story "mansion" look is in vogue with these people.

When you have a spot, one ought to maximize its projection.

What ever happen to the long held tradition by banking companies to project a prominent image to be seen far reaching?  At this location, the potential to have made a "towering" image has been squandered; and instead, the image is ex-surbanian.

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

You also have to consider how the banking industry has changed.  When I was a kid, the banks were single location entities.  The large banks in cities occupied one downtown location and they had many employees that needed to be housed at that one location.  If you look at Fort Worth's big banks, like the First National, Continental National, and Fort Worth National, they had to have that large prominent building and an image in downtowns to not only accommodate their customers, but also to house all of their support staff and other operations.  Now, all of these downtown banks are still in business, but they are merely branch banks of companies whose headquarters are in other cities.  I would guess that a downtown bank is no more important to these companies as is a branch in a suburb.  I also know that the number of workers inside these facilities is far fewer than in the banks of older days. 

#19 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

I have a friend whose wife is a branch manager for one of the larger bank brands and he swears that the banking industry is on the verge of going fully automated where dealing directly with a teller will be a premium service that will cost extra. The credit union where I bank offers deposits at the ATM, so I have only used an actual teller for a deposit a few times in the last couple of years.

#20 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

Still looks it belongs more on S. Hulen than downtown. 

7fwPZnE.png

#21 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

I have a friend whose wife is a branch manager for one of the larger bank brands and he swears that the banking industry is on the verge of going fully automated where dealing directly with a teller will be a premium service that will cost extra.....

You also have to consider how the banking industry has changed....[they] had to have that large prominent building and an image in downtowns to not only accommodate their customers, but also to house all of their support staff and other operations....

I think if you are in agreement with your friend's wife feelings about the banking industry, I am with you and them.  It is increasingly becoming a robotic and automated world.  FW Business Press has a story that even oil rig workers are being replaced by automation.

As for how the banking industry has changed, I would agree that branch banking has been a lot to do with ending the  consolidation of personnel under one roof.  It probably always has been that banks occupied the street level of a building plus 2-4 floors of a skyscraper; and that the bank used its surplus office space for multi levels of tenancy.  Assuming that this has been the typical way that office space is filled in a office tower, I would also assume that a bank would also see the economic return of a multi-story tower as both a place to do business and a source of income.

Regarding, 640 Taylor (Frost Bank), a larger visual than actual presence in Downtown is likely the reason why Frost Bank for quick to have its brand displayed at the top of 640 Taylor.

That the bank proposed for 7th @ Summit is building a two story structure just to meet its needs and nothing else, then from an economic argument, if building was larger (tall) there would be a stream of income even as the bank's own operations and staffing downsizes as a result of automation.  A tower would have made for perfectly sound economic course of action as well as an important marketing effort for this bank once the original costs have been made. 

This seems as a missed opportunity at a reasonably prominent site.

#22 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

Especially when, across the street, another bank proposed an 8 story mixed use structure. And down near Lancaster Pinnacle Bank has a nice little space part of a larger structure.

#23 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Drove by there this morning.  You can certainly argue that a new two-story bank building is not the best use for this particular tract.  No arguments from me.  But I will say that a variety of different types and dimensions of structures is now populating  on and around the slope of the hill that is part of the landscape on the west-northwest side of downtown, and it's not a mediocre-looking landscape. 

#24 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

The area around this new bank construction is one of my favorite areas of the city.  A great "in between" area with downtown on the East and the West 7th strip to the West.  And agree, it has a particularly nice view of downtown.  I sure used to buy tires and get my inspections at the Goodyear store at that location.  I was really surprised there was a note on the door one Saturday when I came for new tires.  I did think it was a great under utilization of the area.

www.fortworthview.com

#25 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

I have a friend whose wife is a branch manager for one of the larger bank brands and he swears that the banking industry is on the verge of going fully automated where dealing directly with a teller will be a premium service that will cost extra.....

Your friend and his wife's predictions are being validated.  From a reprint in the Fort Worth Business Press:

Washington Post -

http://www.fortworth...41c9fb3094.html

• JBB likes this

#26 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

Interesting.  I remember hearing that the University/Berry Chase location that opened recently was going to be a test location for teller-less banking, but I have no idea if that is the case or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users