- - - - -

TCU Bookstore Burns - Opportunity for Improvement

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:08 AM

TCU had moved it's bookstore operations out of the old Tom Thumb store to make way for a second story to be added. So there's been a trailer park, so to speak, in the parking lot for store operations to continue. Then the original building burns down last night.

When TCU rebuilds it should be on the site of the trailer park... right up to the sidewalk on Berry. Parking can then be where the grocery store was.

This is a very good opportunity for more pedestrian friendly development!

#2 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:May 3051 Odessa Avenue rest in peace.<br /><br />And a curse, I say, a curse upon those TCU administrators for destroying the house so many of us called home. And for what, 16 parking spaces?? A CURSE!

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:30 AM

Agreed! Now that this "mysterious catasrophe" has destroyed the old building, TCU should plan a bookstore on the site to match the pedestrian appeal of the GrandMarc. The new bookstore should be built with Parking behind or under or on top.

#3 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:30 AM

That is the first thing I thought of when I heard the story. I imagine it depends on the amount of damage, though.

#4 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:31 AM

The Bookstore on Berry and University burned down or will burn down?
Confused. Didn't see any reports.

Wonder who handles their insurance claim? Alumnus anyone?
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#5 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:May 3051 Odessa Avenue rest in peace.<br /><br />And a curse, I say, a curse upon those TCU administrators for destroying the house so many of us called home. And for what, 16 parking spaces?? A CURSE!

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

http://www.dfw.com/m...l/14213654.htm

http://cbs11tv.com/t..._088064743.html

#6 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:04 AM

WOW!

I like how the driver of the white van parks right up front to take it all in. biggrin.gif

That is mysterious, LUCKY to have the books out. Inside job? Late night, middle of the week. Couldn't have been from a contractors cigarette, too late in the night. Very odd.
www.iheartfw.com

#7 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:28 AM

It struck me as being sort of odd that the news accounting of the bookstore fire mentioned that it was the site of a former grocery store. That is true, though of no particular historical interest or significance to anyone I can think of, maybe an old bagboy I guess.

What was there "way back when" was a fire station. The fire station itself may have sat a bit forward toward Berry Street back then... I can't recall now, but that is the image I think of, not the old grocery store, from my youth.

I normally hear fire engines in the TCU area from our home west of the athletic fields, but last night, can't recall hearing anything at all, nor did my wife. Brad

#8 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:46 AM

Perhaps you and your wife Brad, are great sleepers.

No sirens, ehh.
Something is rotten in the state of COWTOWN. biggrin.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(Bradleto @ Mar 29 2006, 11:28 AM) View Post

What was there "way back when" was a fire station.

That makes what happened this morning just a tad ironic, doesn't it?

#10 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:44 PM

Ironic indeed.

And Brad, just to complete the picture, in your youth, where did they keep the horses to draw the fire wagons? laugh.gif

#11 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:26 PM

If there was ever a fire station there, it was over 50 years ago. The Tom Thumb was previously a Safeway and was a second generation store. The building that burned was built directly behind an older Safeway that had the old rounded front. That store was torn down when the present building opened. Not that all this has any significance. blink.gif

#12 BluebonnetCircleInc

BluebonnetCircleInc

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE(ghughes @ Mar 29 2006, 07:08 AM) View Post

When TCU rebuilds it should be on the site of the trailer park... right up to the sidewalk on Berry. Parking can then be where the grocery store was.

Greg, because the property is zoned MU-2 (due to the foresight of the surrounding neighborhoods, of course!), I believe TCU *must* rebuild to the MU standards--right up to the property line with parking in back. Ironical, indeed.

#13 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:16 PM

Thanks, BluebonnetCircleInc, for the perspective. After your post, this is some of what I sent to the primary community contact at TCU, Don Mills, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. <don't ask>

The location is zoned PD which is an MU-2 with some limitations on use. That zoning requires that buildings be built within 20 feet of the front property line, which also is compatible with the Berry Street vision of minimum setbacks. As you recall, the neighborhoods of the UNA and TCU worked together to obtain that zoning and it represented a great win-win for TCU and its surrounding community.

I am writing to set the stage for planning the new construction. Beyond the setbacks, I urge the TCU to find the best opportunities to work with the MU-2 zoning and its intent. Are there new housing/commercial opportunities presenting themselves here? Was the two-story plan lacking ambition that can now be realized with a "clean slate"? I hope some time will be spent doing "blue sky" thinking and brainstorming.

By all means, we need to resist any urge to ask for a variance to rebuild on the destroyed site in the name of expediency.

I would be willing to bet that we will see something great emerge at this site.

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:41 PM

A brief note on the history of the site:

Bailey is correct. The old Safeway store was rounded toward the corner of Berry and Cockrell and the new one from the 1960's was built behind the old one. I can barely remember the old and the new opening. The fire station was at the corner of Berry and University. It sat on the building line along Berry and was set back from University. Two commercial buildings sat between the fire station and the TCU Theater.

#15 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

TCU would be much better off rebuilding in the original Safeway footprint at the curbline, and using the current space for parking.

#16 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:47 AM

Before anything will happen, the insurance companies will fight over who will pay. Being in the business, I would expect a lawsuit to be filed.

TCU will want to rebuild and rebuild quickly. Expect the same location with the same design we saw before as the walls are not down and the zoning issues you talk about will more than likely not be an issue as the general structure outline is still there, intact.

#17 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:09 AM

Thanks to John Roberts for recalling the exact location of the old fire station... that sounds right on to me. I can't recall when it was removed but it was not over 50 years ago as one poster mentioned as I am 53 and I am pretty sure it was there around 1962/1963 when we roamed the area as kids. Maybe 40 years ago though.

Greg, no horses on Berry St. other than the ones at the old Merry-Go-Round ... I guess that was about where the Jack-In-The-Box is today, but, again, not sure. There was a horse stable where horses could be rented somewhere in Forest Park to the north, but I couldn't tell you exactly where it was. Too, there was a small structure, almost a shack, housing a business that fixed/rented bicycles as I recall, again, the exact area is lost to me now.

Another major attraction, at least to us kids, was not a building or structure, but a person: The Berry Street Walker. Does anyone recall the little lady given that moniker who used to walk up and down Berry Street usually wearing black boots and layers of heavy clothing?

University Drive north of Bluebonnet Circle and south of Berry Street was lined with trees back in the early 1960s sort of like the area on University going through the campus today. The Trinity River was much different looking then too before it was cleaned out.

On the northwest corner of University Dr. and the river, I guess about where the steak restaurant is now, there was a skating rink and, for awhile, an area with trampolines mounted at ground level over dug-out holes. This was "The Place" for grade school birthday skating parties.

In some ways, the area looks almost exactly the same, in other ways, lots of changes. Brad

#18 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

There may have been a fire station around the Safeway but what I said was it wasn't on the present Safeway lot. I'm impressed that there is someone that can remember back to the Berry Street Walker. Back in highs school I worked at the Chuc Wagon at 1716 W. Berry and she would walk by everyday pushing her shopping cart. It didn't matter whether it was rain or shine. She also always wore a heavy coat whether it was winter or summer. That old roller skating rink in what became 1849 Village was the place to have birthday parties. If I remember correctly, the walls were made of tarp at least partially. Must have gone to 50 parties there.

#19 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:57 AM

Before anything will happen, the insurance companies will fight over who will pay. Being in the business, I would expect a lawsuit to be filed.

A lawsuit is likely, but it will be between the insurance companies representing TCU and the construction firm. The insurance companies and TCU are each sending engineers to evaluate the structural integrity of what's left of the building to determine any opportunity for re-use. I would bet that the vertical steel stucture was damaged to the point that it would not be suitable fo use again, especially to go to 2 stories.
TCU will want to rebuild and rebuild quickly. Expect the same location with the same design we saw before as the walls are not down and the zoning issues you talk about will more than likely not be an issue as the general structure outline is still there, intact.

Zoning comes into play if a substantial percentage of the structure is destroyed. I'm sure there's a specific number for that percentage, and 75% destroyed comes to mind.

#20 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(bailey @ Mar 30 2006, 05:58 PM) View Post

There may have been a fire station around the Safeway but what I said was it wasn't on the present Safeway lot. I'm impressed that there is someone that can remember back to the Berry Street Walker. Back in highs school I worked at the Chuc Wagon at 1716 W. Berry and she would walk by everyday pushing her shopping cart. It didn't matter whether it was rain or shine. She also always wore a heavy coat whether it was winter or summer. That old roller skating rink in what became 1849 Village was the place to have birthday parties. If I remember correctly, the walls were made of tarp at least partially. Must have gone to 50 parties there.

Yes, I think John Roberts correctly identified the location of the old fire station in an earlier post... I just recall that it was somewhat adjacent to the TCU theater.

Bailey, you are correct that the old rink was sort of an open structure with some sort of fencing or screening in lieu of solid walls covered by either tarp or maybe burlap. It had large belt-driven wall-mounted fans to move air around on hot days as I recall and maybe an evaporative cooler or two.

Other things long gone now are the Toddle House located where Einstein Bagel is today... always a neat place to eat. The Ol' South Pancake House was moved years ago, and at its present location, there was that interesting little shopping mall with tiny shops of all kinds behind glass walls, a barber shop, and other things. I think the building was burned down twice. The rumor back then was they wouldn't play "ball" with the persons controlling, or wanting to control, vending machines in the building. I guess it's possible.

Brad

#21 bailey

bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(Bradleto @ Mar 31 2006, 09:32 AM) View Post

QUOTE(bailey @ Mar 30 2006, 05:58 PM) View Post

Yes, I think John Roberts correctly identified the location of the old fire station in an earlier post... I just recall that it was somewhat adjacent to the TCU theater.

Bailey, you are correct that the old rink was sort of an open structure with some sort of fencing or screening in lieu of solid walls covered by either tarp or maybe burlap. It had large belt-driven wall-mounted fans to move air around on hot days as I recall and maybe an evaporative cooler or two.

Other things long gone now are the Toddle House located where Einstein Bagel is today... always a neat place to eat. The Ol' South Pancake House was moved years ago, and at its present location, there was that interesting little shopping mall with tiny shops of all kinds behind glass walls, a barber shop, and other things. I think the building was burned down twice. The rumor back then was they wouldn't play "ball" with the persons controlling, or wanting to control, vending machines in the building. I guess it's possible.

Brad

The old Toddle House was a place I frequented often. Great waffles and chocolate ice box pie. My sister actually got hit by a car many years ago going from the TCU theater across University to the Toddle House. The Old South Pancake House was originally in that funny shaped building to the north. I have eaten there ever since it opened which was around 1957 and still do some. They had to tear the old building down to expand the freeway. The current building was cut in half after the fire in the Forest Park bowling alley that was upstairs. It was one of the largest around with 64 lanes. As bad as that fire was, it's amazing they were able to save any of the building.

#22 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(Bradleto @ Mar 30 2006, 12:09 PM) View Post

Another major attraction, at least to us kids, was not a building or structure, but a person: The Berry Street Walker. Does anyone recall the little lady given that moniker who used to walk up and down Berry Street usually wearing black boots and layers of heavy clothing?

I think she has been replaced with that guy with blonde dreadlocks who is always carrying his skateboard.

Come on, you all know who I'm talking about. He's ALWAYS on Berry Street!

#23 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:32 AM

I know exactly who you're talking about. For about the last 6 years or so, I've seen him on Camp Bowie, Colonial, Park Place, Berry, Biddison, and 8th.

#24 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:26 PM

I like to walk... back off.

#25 JPO

JPO

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:28 AM

This is the first I've heard of the fire - my family in Fort Worth has really dropped the ball on keeping me informed up here in New York...

My grandfather was the manager of the Safeway on Berry in the late 1940's - He, my grandmother and my mother lived on Cockrell just behind the store - probably where the building was that burned. My mother's dog used to run out of the front door and she remembers chasing it across the TCU campus in her nightgown...

#26 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(JPO @ Apr 8 2006, 01:28 AM) View Post

This is the first I've heard of the fire - my family in Fort Worth has really dropped the ball on keeping me informed up here in New York...

My grandfather was the manager of the Safeway on Berry in the late 1940's - He, my grandmother and my mother lived on Cockrell just behind the store - probably where the building was that burned. My mother's dog used to run out of the front door and she remembers chasing it across the TCU campus in her nightgown...

From what I remember TCU bookstore was a Tom Thumb?

#27 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

Built as a Safeway.

Lately a Tom Thumb.

#28 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE(Buck @ Apr 8 2006, 11:18 AM) View Post

Built as a Safeway.

Lately a Tom Thumb.

Ahhhh I see. Thank you I guess its my Gen X thing. As the late Johnny Carson would say.

"I did not know that"

#29 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

QUOTE(ghughes @ Mar 29 2006, 08:08 AM) View Post

TCU had moved it's bookstore operations out of the old Tom Thumb store to make way for a second story to be added. So there's been a trailer park, so to speak, in the parking lot for store operations to continue. Then the original building burns down last night.

#30 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:05 PM

At a University Neighborhood Alliance meeting the other night, a TCU official said there was a consensus at the school to not rush, to take their time, and to do something on the property that will be compatible with the Berry Street vision.

Sometimes it's just great to go to a meeting.

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:48 PM

That's good news. I imagine the longer the burned out shell sits, the more likely it will not be suitable for repair.

#32 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:38 AM

Is there any way a TCU Theater purchase could be included?

The theater is useless without parking. And TCU controls the parking.

#33 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE(JBB @ Apr 25 2006, 09:48 PM) View Post

That's good news. I imagine the longer the burned out shell sits, the more likely it will not be suitable for repair.

The burned out shell is now gone.

#34 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:50 AM

TCU or one of its real estate investment arms bought the TCU theatre. Plans are still in the dark if the old place will be part of the new building or will be just a temp home until the new building is built.

However, the new building will be along the fronts of berry and university and approx. 2-3 stories tall. The Allen Saxe garden will remain. The parking will be in the back of the building now.

#35 EricTCU

EricTCU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

I wish somebody would cover the windows of the theater, the lobby is trashed out and its visible from the street.

A Theater and a Bookstore huh?...

http://www.fortworth...com/palace1.jpg

Now we're talking pedestrian.

#36 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(youngalum @ Aug 14 2006, 12:50 PM) View Post

However, the new building will be along the fronts of berry and university and approx. 2-3 stories tall. The Allen Saxe garden will remain. The parking will be in the back of the building now.

Awesome. The view looking NE from Berry/University is going to be much improved.

#37 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:13 PM

Yeah! That is great news! When are they planning to demolish the tower? Last time I drove by there it was still standing, a shell of its former self...

#38 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

Jonny, the tower and shell were demolished within the last few days. I was by there last week and it was standing, but on Sunday, it was gone.

#39 austlar

austlar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:03 AM

Somebody mentioned the Forest Park Stables a few postings back. It was located just north of the Trinity River and just a block or so west of University Drive at the end of the street. I don't know the name of the street, but today there is a Courtyard Hotel along the north side of that street. We used to rent horses from the stables back in the 50's and ride them all over Trinity Park. I seem to remember that we would cross University on a trail that went under the University Blvd. bridges. In the 70's, I guess the river was gussied up a bit, and some commercial structures were built on what used to be parkland where the Residence Inn and the ugly little highrise are located today. I also remember birthday parties at the skating rink and later at the trampolenes as well. Nowadays I guess kids spend their time online or in the mall. I think we had more fun.

#40 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

There's a bare concrete slab where the building used to be. Wonder if it will become a parking lot.

#41 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

So is TCU including the theater in the new bookstore, or demolishing it and building new?

#42 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:29 PM

At this point mum is the word if the theatre will be part or just a temp facility. The parking will be behind the building as the building will face Berry and University in a 2-3 story facility.

The TCU family is in the dark right now, sorry.

#43 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:01 AM

This is a good example of "Be Careful What You Wish For". Everyone here on the forum wanted the new bookstore to be built right up to the street and to be more pedestrian friendly. We don't yet know exactly how the new bookstore will look, but yesterday, demolition started on the TCU Theater. The removal of the theater has been fairly fast because the university only purchased the building in July. I'm not necessarily saying the theater should have been saved, I'm just pointing out that there was another potential historic building with no protection that was demolished with no advance notice. The city has now lost 11 "historic" buildings in the last two weeks.

#44 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE(Buck @ Apr 26 2006, 10:38 AM) View Post

Is there any way a TCU Theater purchase could be included?

The theater is useless without parking. And TCU controls the parking.

Although it's now demolished, I never understood why an "indie" theater never succeeded across the street from a school with a large arts and letters population. You shouldn't need much parking when you have students within walking distance. But, then TCU students are not typical budget students looking for cheap entertainment. "When I was in school" we rarely drove anywhere, we used the local town.

I'm sure the new bookstore will fit well on the corner. I guess the alley behind will get taken over by the new building. And, when will TCU take over the rest of the block? Those old storefronts lend a real charm to the block (although some could use some remodeling), as did the failed theater.

#45 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:50 PM

John, what are the 11 demolished buildings?

Speaking of theaters, is the New Isis Theater preserved as part of the Stockyards historic district?

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

Buck, after I gather some donated photographs, I was going to do a thread on the 11 demolished buildings. In the meantime, here is the list:

1. Workman's Hotel (c.1890) - 200 Block of E. Belknap, home of Mexican Chile Supply from 1900-1970

2. Mexican Inn (c.1880) - NW Corner of 5th & Commerce

3-10. Entire Block of Duplexes in 1000 Block of S. Adams (1924-28)

11. TCU Theater (c.1950) - 3055 S. University Drive

When I listed the New Isis Theater on my site, I included it within the National Register Stockyards Historic District. I pulled up a map, and the area is shown so small with some selected lots pulled out of the district, I can't really tell if it is included. National Register listings do not gurantee protection. The listing is more ceremonial than anything else. I did check the local zoning for the New Isis and it is listed as Demolition Delay. That means that demolition could be delayed for as long as 180 days as deemed by the Landmarks Commission. It doesn't appear to be listed as a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark. In summation, the New Isis Theater is only guaranteed protection for 180 days.

#47 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:01 PM

Here is a picture that I took approximately one year ago of the TCU Theater. I also have demolition photos that I will post later.
IPB Image

#48 eshigginbotham

eshigginbotham

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Sep 1 2006, 05:01 PM) View Post
Here is a picture that I took approximately one year ago of the TCU Theater. I also have demolition photos that I will post later.

Anybody seen the proposal of what is replacing the store yet?

GO FROGS!!!

#49 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:35 PM

Buck, I did more research and I found out that the New Isis Theater is within the Fort Worth Stock Yards National Historic District.

#50 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:38 PM

From a meeting last week I learned that TCU and Barnes&Noble are working on a store for the location. It is intended to be a flagship store that also happens to be a college bookstore. Textbooks on a mezzanine.

Store will be on the sidewalks (both University and Berry) in keeping with the MU zoning. Saxe's Corner will be preserved, so the building will apparently have a corner chopped off for that. Parking in the rear.

TCU and B&N will be showing concepts to neighborhoods in October.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users