• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

At the Oakhurst Neighborhood meeting last week, developer Peter Aberg of Dallas' Legacy Capital Company discussed his proposed new mixed-use residential and retail development for Oakhurst Scenic Drive, between Belknap and Race Streets.

"Aberg proposes an "Austin hip" development featuring apartments, new restaurants (complementing existing establishments, e.g. the Smoke Pit), and other retail offerings.  The intent is to respect local character while taking advantage of the site's views of the Trinity River and downtown Fort Worth, as well as its proximity to the Six Points Urban Village."

I wasn't able to attend the meeting, but my wife went and saw artist conceptions and such. It next goes to the zoning commission and then hopefully we will see some web activity with photos and drawings.

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

That's great.  I guess I've never really thought about that stretch of road being ripe for development, but it is a really nice location.  

#3 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

Interesting

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

That's some nice news, I've always hoped for a bit more urban development. Northside has the Stockyards and TRV, Southside is doing it's thing, Westside has the whole W7 area and cultural district, not really much East of downtown. Would like for some more of it to happen. 

Keep us up to date on details. 

#5 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

At the Oakhurst Neighborhood meeting last week, developer Peter Aberg of Dallas' Legacy Capital Company discussed his proposed new mixed-use residential and retail development for Oakhurst Scenic Drive, between Belknap and Race Streets.

Legacy Capital Dallas appears to like Fort Worth; this will be their third project in the city as LCD is already undertaking projects along the Chisolm Trail Parkway.  Good sign that Dallas venture money is looking at us.

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

I agree.  But why does it always have to be "Dallas" venture capital?  Where are the Fort Worth developers?  After all, it's our city, not theirs (i.e. Dallas).

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Why do we give a rip who wants to invest money in the city? That is the lamest and most tired complaint I hear on this board. Maybe there aren't any capital groups based in FW that want to invest here. Who cares? Would you rather have nothing? Where are the FW firms? Non-existant or not investing here. If capital firms from Baghdad want to invest here, bring it on. Ramjet was definitely on to something when he left here. Some people will go out of their way to look for things to complain about. [end rant]

#8 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

FW developers lack the vision and will to build anything other than warehouses and small developments.  Still stuck in the 1980's majority of them.  There are good homebuilders on this side of the metroplex that rival Dallas homebuilders. 

But, if you want real major commercial development, it will have to be with a Dallas partnered group or Dallas only groups. 

#9 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

There are a lot of reasons and they are systemic. 

It starts with talent.  People who want to do real estate development get jobs when they are young in Dallas because that's where all the jobs are.  They build their lives there. 

But it's also Financing.  The banks that finance all this development have groups within their commerical banking offices that are based in the Dallas branches because that's where the commercial developers have historically been. 

And cultural.  People willing to take risks on commercial development are in Dallas because culturally that side of town has embraced real estate risk much more so than this side of town.  People in Dallas have made (and lost) lots of money at it, so the people willing to step up and take another bite of the apple are going to be over there.

I agree that I don't care a lot about who's doing the development, as long as it's getting done.

But if I could choose, I'd rather the profits were staying here and I'd rather the developers were local in that I believe there would be more pride in the developments themselves.  More showcase structures and fewer cookie cutter places.

#10 FWFD1247

FWFD1247

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hopefully for the profits sake, folks willing to take the "risk" from Dallas will get the investors and developers from here to start taking their own risks.

16atmjd.jpg

#11 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

An update on the project. Right now it's planned to be considered by the City Council at the Sept 9th meeting. Oakhurst Neighborhood Assn and Charleston HOA had asked the Zoning Commission for a continuance which was denied a few weeks ago. Chief concerns focused on the protection of the bluffs and trees along Oakhurst scenic which the proposed zoning and plans do not address (my interpretation of the concerns- not a comment on their validity).

Residents of the Park View Villiage Apartments and surrounding rental homes in the Scenic Bluff neighborhood have been given 30 days to vacate (ends approximately mid September.) This I believe is for a second project that has not yet been announced or made public.

#12 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

An update on the project.....

Interesting news.  Sometimes areas like Riverside are over shadowed by the big four: Downtown, Stockyard, Near West and Near South.  Keep us updated.

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

Riverside is definitely an area which doesn't have the momentum or orginazation of W7 and Southside, but it seems like interest is there for sure. Race St. in particular promises to get even better. So far the development of Riverside has been lackluster and rather slow but maybe thats picking up. 

Sounds like this could be a Linwood-esque style of tear down outdated duplexes and small apartments  and replace. I agree with the concerns that the trees should be kept. 

Keep us updated! 

#14 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

The council was supposed to hear this zoning case on Tuesday Sept 9th, but it has been continued for one week.

Peter Aberg will be attending the Oakhurt NA meeting tonight to present the latest plans as well as an MOU proposed to preserve the bluff. The Charleston HOA is against the proposed high density UR zoning for the northernmost tract of land in this zoning case.

#15 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

The "Race Street Revival" needs high density residential nearby. There is some momentum for redevelopment in this area but every neighborhood needs people, and this close to the downtown core calls for more density. How this is to be done needs to be the focus of the conversation. The park facing the river must be preserved, and the wooded bluffs should be preserved as much as possible, but some compromise may be called for here. What will be offered in return by the developers? Structured parking? Architectural embellishments? Urban street-scapes? The neighbors are right to be concerned, and more right in getting involved. 

#16 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

Zoning passed council tonight unanimously. Included in this purchase is a Memorandum of Understanding that will be converted into a permanent easement once the purchase is finalized. This easement is being put in place to protect the bluff, and I understand that this is an unprecedented agreement in this city. This is 14.5 acres that is split into 5 tracts that run along Oakhurst Scenic between McLemore and Belknap. Now we shall wait and see what develops.

#17 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

One proposed name for this development is "The Scenic." I post this info now to distingush it from a separate development that I'll be adding a new thread about.

#18 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

Rumor on the street is this project is dead due to failure to come to terms with one of the current landowners. But the new zoning stands. So we've got new zoning and no protective easement for the bluff. Awesome.

#19 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

Hope the rumors are unfounded.  We need positive growth in areas east of DTFW.

BTW, Riverside Park would be a great site for an annual event like a Mayfest.

#20 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

Mayfest is put on by Junior League, so my bet is it stays in the 107.

#21 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

Mayfest is put on by Junior League, so my bet is it stays in the 107.

Like "a" Mayfest" does not mean "the" Mayfest.  Why not Riverside/Fort Worth have an event of their own along the shores of Trinity as I believe that there is ample room to stage a festival celebrating this stretch of the river?

#22 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:09 AM

FWBP is now reporting on this. (Or is it the other one?)

Up to 400 units, they'd like to start before years end. Here's the project they did down in SA, looks super nice. 

#23 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:13 PM

The FWBP article is primarily talking about the development covered in another thread, although there is a short mention of the Legacy Capital development. This thread covers the southern tract, from Smoke Pit to just north of Race Street.

#24 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

http://www.legacycap.com/TheScenic.htm

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:17 AM

Site plan and elevations can be downloaded here. Nothing to spectacular but an upgrade from the current conditions. 

#26 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

Site plan and elevations can be downloaded here. Nothing to spectacular but an upgrade from the current conditions. 

Thanks for posting these. These plans are not actually for the development that was the topic of this thread which is idle with no action. Instead these plans are related to this thread.

I know it's confusing having two developments side by side, but they are quite different. It's similar to the So7 and W7th developments.

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:38 PM

Oh man I'm really struggling to keep these straight. Sorry about that.

#28 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:44 PM

Oh man I'm really struggling to keep these straight. Sorry about that.

I know it's tough. They keep changing hands and names and everything. The Legacy development was announced first (and I created this thread to talk about it). It's the "Smoke Pit" location and running to the north. But nothing is happening on this one.

The second development- Criterion originally- actually has turned some dirt. It's much more residential. 

#29 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

Lots of info in this article: http://www.fwtx.com/...es/race-revival

(cross-posted to several topics)

#30 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:08 PM

Lord knows if this is the right thread, but I think I'm getting this in the correct spot:

Construction is underway.

#31 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, it's actually the other thread. But yes, I have seen a lot of equipment working over there!

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

Sounds like it going by "The Overlook at River East"

3woabwe.png3woabwe.png

#33 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:05 PM

A critical parcel between the two developments has not been secured:

TheScenic_medium.jpg

You can see it in this aerial photo on the south side of Race Street at Oakhurst Scenic. This is the current location of Lewis Label Products. Perhaps as the Parkside development takes off and the land value can be better established, an agreement can be made to bring this parcel in with the rest. Given the location on Race Street, it would seem to be a key piece to the redevelopment of the area.

#34 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:04 AM

Neighbors aren't happy about the brush and ground clearing along Oakhurst Scenic:

http://www.star-tele...e173151731.html

#35 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:24 AM

Some neighbors are fine with it, some aren't, (according to the article).

My blog: Doohickie

#36 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

Sorry, I didn't make that generalization on purpose. Should have said "some neighbors".

#37 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

No worries.

I guess I can see both sides; not sure where I would fall if I lived near there.

My blog: Doohickie

#38 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

Funny, when I used to drive down the road from Yucca to Bleknap I never felt that is was scenic drive. All anyone could could see were over grown bushes covered in trash and old tires lying about while parts of the road and the view of the river were obscured by all th branches and bushed that were growing over the road.

I think it looks much better now... actually my Partner and I went there this weekend to see the units just to get an idea on price and layout and we both felt like the complex was much better than either of us anticipated. There are still several mature trees throughout and with the hills and river and skyline overlooks the property felt like a resort. I'm not a big fan of the final suburban design of the buildings, however the project itself was impressive.

#39 CrimsonBuilders

CrimsonBuilders

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:48 PM

We're working on the budget pricing for this deal. I really like the location too.

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

Here's a siteplan as submitted to the City Plan commission. 397 units total, 297 in the S (right) building, 100 in the N buildings. There is no retail on the ground level, but the leasing office faces the Oakhurst/Belknap intersection.

DULVr21V4AA5wqO.jpg

#41 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:57 PM

no retail on the ground level

Uh oh. That doesn't bode well for The Smoke Pit continuing on in that neighborhood. I wonder if that's why they were interested in the old Sammy's property. Seems like I read that the deal for them to reopen Sammy's fell through in the last few weeks.

#42 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

Not having some sort of retail at that intersection seems a bit strange to me. Not sure why I feel that way but I think its mainly due to the fact that retail has always been there.

It may be a mixed opportunity

#43 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

Hey there is a bail bonds place across the street! That will be great viewing out your apartment window!

#44 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

Funny, when I used to drive down the road from Yucca to Bleknap I never felt that is was scenic drive. All anyone could could see were over grown bushes covered in trash and old tires lying about while parts of the road and the view of the river were obscured by all th branches and bushed that were growing over the road.

I think it looks much better now... actually my Partner and I went there this weekend to see the units just to get an idea on price and layout and we both felt like the complex was much better than either of us anticipated. There are still several mature trees throughout and with the hills and river and skyline overlooks the property felt like a resort. I'm not a big fan of the final suburban design of the buildings, however the project itself was impressive.

I agree! The drive looks 100 times better as it was thinned out a bit.   A really a gorgeous drive.  Surprised it has taken this long for development. 

www.fortworthview.com

#45 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 08:44 PM

Smoke Pit BBQ is shutting down for good on Friday and the owner is reopening next month in the old Sammie's BBQ further east on Belknap. I'm not sure which name they're using at the new location. Smoke Pit may have not been the greatest BBQ in Fort Worth, but the place made up for it in character. Sammie's was terrible the last time I ate there.

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 September 2018 - 09:13 PM

I can actually remember when Sammie's had great BBQ.  When my family was tired of turkey and dressing for the holidays, we used to take a turkey from the grocery store over to Sammie's and they would smoke it for us.  They were really good.  Hopefully, the new/old restaurant will be better than Sammie's in their latter days and the atmosphere of the Smoke Pit will continue.

#47 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

Sounds like this one is breaking ground. It's got a name - Jefferson River East. Also a rendering,

JPI_Oakhurst_v1-768x576.jpg

http://jpi.com/multi...riverside-park/

#48 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:39 PM

They have also apparently removed all of the ground floor retail that was proposed.

#49 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:08 AM

Dallas News covering this,

https://www.dallasne...rth-new-project

#50 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 24 October 2018 - 05:34 AM

Anyone know why it's being called "Jefferson River East."  There is Jefferson, Texas.  But I don't believe there's a Jefferson River in our state.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users