98 replies to this topic

#1 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Maybe I missed it but they appear to be doing demo of the building? Is it part of the Ronlald McDonald House expansion or what is the plan for that prime corner?

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Cook Children's Hospital bought the building two years ago. I have been hearing about the demolition for about one year, but wasn't sure when it was going to happen. I also have been driving by from time to time, but obviously, some demolition progress has been made within the last couple of weeks. I don't know what they have planned for the property.

#3 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

A hundred years when I was in publc accounting, I had a client in that building. (A cardiologist) He owned units in a partnership that owned the building. He never took the elevator to his 7th floor office. I never forgot that. He was very fit. I never take the stairs to my cars in the parking garage. (6 floors) Great exercise.

I also did the taxes for a slum lord that owned a dozen crap houses in the hospital district. He got millions for them as the hospitals expanded. Mostly for parking lots.
www.fortworthview.com

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

I went out and took pictures this morning of construction and demolition. They have already knocked a hole in the east side of the building and they have gutted the ground floor. I will be posting the photographs soon.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

Here's a photo of the demolition taken on August 18, 2012.
Posted Image

#6 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

Here's a photo of the demolition taken on August 18, 2012.

I am going to say if I was tearing this building down, I would start tearing out the top first. I don't get it.

Nice shot. Sure is a big building to tear down. I wonder why.
www.fortworthview.com

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

I think I know why they are tearing the building down. When Cook Children's Hospital bought the building, they bought the whole block. There was a small building in the middle of the block on Rosedale. That structure was demolished about one year ago. Currently, on the east end of the block, they are building a five story, 100,000 SF office building and parking garage. This new building, at 5 stories, is twice the size of the old Medical Tower at 8 stories. It appears that they are replacing a 1960's building with a newer, bigger office building.

#8 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

I drove by there today and saw the new construction. I am still troubled by the way they are demolishing the 8 story tower. I know they know what they are doing, but I would not be comfortable under that building as it sits. Just creepy to see that much building supported by those remaining sticks. (I know those sticks have been supporting that building for decades, but still...)

Still hard to understand the business sense in destroying that much office space.
www.fortworthview.com

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Brian, I would imagine that it has something to do with the building's size, age, amount of asbestos, and renovation costs. The Medical Tower is only 52,000 square feet on 8 floors. That's only 6,500 square feet per floor. By today's standards, that's awfully small. Also, bringing these small floor plate buildings up to the current building codes can prove to be very challenging. The new building going up on the site is twice the size at a little over half the height. In this case, it probably was more economically feasible to demolish and build new on the same piece of property.

As for the small number of columns supporting the building, I think the Landmark Tower had even fewer on the inside at the ground level supporting a 30 story building. If you remember on that building, it became apparent that the bank wanted a virtually column free interior, so they put plate girders above the lobby to support the offices above. This allowed the removal of most of the columns on the inside.

#10 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

Blame the destruction of this building on my father. He is a building jinx. After WWII he officed in the Medical Arts Building, then the Doctor's Building, then this one. All three have been torn down or are in the process. He has outlived them all. Thank goodness he is now retired and is no longer going to cause the loss of another office building in our city.

#11 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Blame the destruction of this building on my father. He is a building jinx. After WWII he officed in the Medical Arts Building, then the Doctor's Building, then this one. All three have been torn down or are in the process. He has outlived them all. Thank goodness he is now retired and is no longer going to cause the loss of another office building in our city.

Sure enough curious what your Dad did for a living... And where was the Doctors building?

My Wife's Mother worked in The Gas Building downtown with her twin sister. In the early 50's. Her brother was an electrical engineer and worked at that time in the TESCO (Electric) Building. They all had many medical appointments in the Medical Arts Building.

We always accused my Mother of putting businesses out of business. She was working for 3 companies in a row that went under.
www.fortworthview.com

#12 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Sure enough curious what your Dad did for a living... And where was the Doctors building?

My Wife's Mother worked in The Gas Building downtown with her twin sister. In the early 50's. Her brother was an electrical engineer and worked at that time in the TESCO (Electric) Building. They all had many medical appointments in the Medical Arts Building.

We always accused my Mother of putting businesses out of business. She was working for 3 companies in a row that went under.

He was a dentist. The Doctor's Bldg. was at 800 5th Avenue. It was torn down and now is part of Harris Hospital.

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Usually, when the base is being demolished and not the top, they are clearing the lower floors down to nothing but the structural items so they can implode the tower. They did the same thing at the Landmark Tower. A friend of mine in demoltion has indicated to me that it will be imploded, but he doesn't have a confirmation. I went by there today, and all of the indications are toward implosion because they are now taking away all of the glass on 4th or 5th floor. This would be for the charges set above the ground level. Also, I noticed that between these points, the columns have been partially cut to weaken the structure.

#14 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

Today, they have erected chain link fencing around the base and they are wrapping the columns on the 5th floor. It appears that implosion will be soon.

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

LED traffic signs have been placed up near the intersection telling drivers that the intersection of 8th and Rosedale will be closed in the morning on Sunday, September 9 for building demolition. Now we have the date of the implosion.

#16 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

Excellent info John. If anybody hears of a time, let us know please. I would find a place a good distance away to record it all.
www.fortworthview.com

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

The intersection of 8th Avenue and W. Rosedale will be closed on Sunday from 6:00 AM until Noon. The implosion will happen within that time frame.

#18 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

I did not realize that the thing was being torn down. But YIPPEEEE! That is ghastly building - one that I featured in my "Eyesores" thread several years ago at:

http://www.fortworth...ch=1

My comment under the image I posted at the time was: "This building actually looks better in the picture than it does in real life. Up close, the place is very ugly. If I had never seen this building before and someone asked me what it was, my guess is that it would be the county jail."
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#19 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

Gee - do you think you could perhaps talk him into coming out of retirement to open up an office in that TCC monstrosity that was recently built on the bluff by the courthouse? Please? Pretty please?
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

Dismuke, will you be attending the implosion?

#21 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Dismuke, will you be attending the implosion?

I think I probably will. That is, if I am a good boy and get myself up that early on a Sunday morning. Usually implosions are scheduled pretty early. But this one should be worth getting up for.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

It will go very fast because of the small size and height of the building.

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Has much changed since the picture from the 18th? Kinda neat to see a building with no facade.

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

Very little has changed. The tree on the southeast side of the building nearest the camera has been removed.

#25 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

There are "skirts" around the bottom of the building too, probably to contain debris from the implosion.
My blog: Doohickie

#26 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

There are "skirts" around the bottom of the building too, probably to contain debris from the implosion.

It depends. Are the skirts color coordinated with the blouse of the building?
www.fortworthview.com

#27 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Also, bringing these small floor plate buildings up to the current building codes can prove to be very challenging.

I am curious about a couple of things. Aren't older buildings grandfathered in from changes made to newer building codes? But aside from that, what is it about buildings with small floor plates that makes them more challenging to bring up to code?

Not trying to defend keeping that ugly building around - just curious as there are quite a lot of buildings around with similar or even smaller floor plates.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#28 bryanr

bryanr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

As of today 9/5 @ noon, the trees and bushes and window glass is all intact on the west side
Paschal Class of 1976

#29 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

Dismuke, the answer to your question regarding grandfathering is yes and no. Older buildings are grandfathered in to not be upgraded every time the building code changes provided that the owner does not remodel to the extent to kick in new codes or change the use of the building. I made the assumption that a new owner would want to remodel this building to the extent that it would have to be brought up to code. If any owner just put new finishes inside and repainted things, then any building is grandfathered. Many times when I make these type of statements, they are in general terms. Every structure and every remodel./change is different and could be an exception to the general statements.

#30 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

According to the Star-Telegram, at 7:30 am Sunday the building will be imploded.

http://www.star-tele...imb-aboard.html

Adrian

#31 bryanr

bryanr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

I will be able to get video from the 11th floor of Westchester Plaza WELL CRUD! Just tested my little camera, NOT good enough, by today's standards, its a "Brownie Hawkeye"

Because of real issues with such a public forum as this, I have placed the text of the Star-Telegram article on my own webspace here
Paschal Class of 1976

#32 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

If you can't make it down there, I have a way for you to see it live. A property owner or manager nearby has turned one of his security cameras toward the building and has put up this live feed. It shows the new building and the doomed building next to each other. Here's the link:
https://www.dropcam.com/p/nzFzQw

#33 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Any suggestions as to a good spot to go to see it in person? I haven't had a chance to actually to go the area to stake the surroundings out.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

It all depends on how far away they block the area. Anywhere to the east along Rosedale would have been an excellent location, but now since they are building the new building to the east, that view is kind of blocked. The property where the camera is located is on the south side of Rosedale, and there are some great views there, but that may be actually too close and the police may not allow spectators there. I'm thinking about setting up in Fort Worth South's parking lot, or along the sidewalk near Mistletoe Blvd. and 8th Ave. If you are to the west, you will be looking into the sunrise and the pictures may not turn out well. I'm sure there are also some good locations to the north along 8th Avenue. Since I live south of the building, I figure to cross to the north might lead me to getting into too much traffic of the other spectators.

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

I now have a link to share with all of you for the new building. Cook Children's Health Care Professional Office Building

#36 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

Just a thought - 460 car garage, anyone see (more) traffic congestion coming? When driving on West Rosedale toward I-30, let say, around 5pm, there is some traffic back-up. Seems employees are stuck with 9-5 work hours in this day and age of healthcare technology. 8th can be worst with two lanes each without a turn lane. Putting too many buildings - and car garages - in one big parcel is like a bubble soon to be burst with those traffic bottlenecks. Hope I am making sense.

#37 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

Just a thought - 460 car garage, anyone see (more) traffic congestion coming? When driving on West Rosedale toward I-30, let say, around 5pm, there is some traffic back-up. Seems employees are stuck with 9-5 work hours in this day and age of healthcare technology. 8th can be worst with two lanes each without a turn lane. Putting too many buildings - and car garages - in one big parcel is like a bubble soon to be burst with those traffic bottlenecks. Hope I am making sense.

All the more reason to cheer on the people building townhouses, apartment buildings, and mixed-use buildings on the Near Southside, so more of those medical district employees can commute without getting on I-30 or I-35W. And might I add, a good public transit system linking Near Southside, Downtown, the TCU area, and the CD would also help with the traffic problems.

I just hope we don't fall for the same old logic of "more traffic? Widen the street!" that has never worked.

#38 bryanr

bryanr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

You know, they widened Rosedale enough to run a light-rail line in the middle
Paschal Class of 1976

#39 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Yes... widen all the streets until they are no longer congested. Simple physics.

Agree they need more housing and mass transit for the hospital district. I think the rail line could help a lot. For sure in the long run.
www.fortworthview.com

#40 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

Would the Baylor All Saints parking garage be a good spot for viewing?

Adrian

#41 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

It would be a great place for viewing. However, that is private property. I'm not sure they will let spectators up there. My general policy is that if I shoot pictures to place on this site, I only take them from public right-of-way, unless I have permission from the property owner.

#42 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

I was at the corner of 8th Avenue and W. Oleander St., only one block away from the building. I photographed the implosion only a few feet away from Dismuke. Here are my photos of the demolition.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, here's a little closer view of the pile of rubble:
Posted Image

#43 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

Hey John, I think we were standing right in front of you, I think that's my buddy Dan in the lower left of your shots. I think the rest of the forum members must have been up at the top of the Baylor Parking garage getting their illicit private property shots!

Good pictures by the way, I went with a video to make sure to get the whole thing, but those stills are pretty nice!

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

The garage really looked like it was the place to be. However, you never know if they are going to allow people to be spectators up there. At least, we were close. I remember when your group arrived. Dismuke shot stills and video, so hopefully, he will post his photos here.

#45 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Here is the video (via YouTube) I made of the implosion. I wasn't using a tripod and despite the fact that I was waiting for it, you can tell that I was still a bit startled when the first boom occurred.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#46 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

After seeing this I Googled Fort Worth building implosions and ran across this video of the Landmark Tower implosion shot from 4 different angles. I have not seen this one before... Pretty cool. There is also video of of the 1973 Meadical Arts building implosion.

#47 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Excelent Photos John, and nice video Dismuke. I wound up not going as I had planned. (Had planned on shooting from a private garage and had second thoughts)

I thought about taking several lenses and just shooting from a street somewhere with the best lens for the distance.

And Jeff, my YOUTUBE of the landmark tower implosion was my first video. I would sure do it better today (wouldn't we all) but I had just purchased, but had not moved into, my condo on 34 facing that direction. I wanted very much to be on the balcony but they warned against it. As I was a Director in the HOA I figured I sure better conform. (Did not want to be the dope on the balcony on Channel 5 that night.)
www.fortworthview.com

#48 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

Hey John, I think we were standing right in front of you, I think that's my buddy Dan in the lower left of your shots. I think the rest of the forum members must have been up at the top of the Baylor Parking garage getting their illicit private property shots!

Good pictures by the way, I went with a video to make sure to get the whole thing, but those stills are pretty nice!

That looks like me, but it is not. You were just to the right of me, so you would be in the shots also. I think it's the kid that was sitting on the curb while we were waiting.

I got startled by the initial explosions. My finger slipped off the trigger and I missed the very begining of the building coming down. My pictures start at about the 4th or 5th of John's.

#49 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

Here is the video (via YouTube) I made of the implosion. I wasn't using a tripod and despite the fact that I was waiting for it, you can tell that I was still a bit startled when the first boom occurred.

That's just crazy.
My blog: Doohickie

#50 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

Fun video and great pictures John! Would make a good GIF.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical District, Implosion, Demolition, Demolition Photographs, Cook Childrens Hospital, Neon everywhere

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users