226 replies to this topic

#151 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

I'm just saying if they wanted to try to improve their image...

Did you perhaps mean to say "to expand" instead of "to improve?"

I and many of us in Fort Worth do not consider that Fort Worth has a negative image that requires improvement.  Just because some people think that Fort Worth's image is "cheesy" says more about snobbery and a limitation to expand ones horizons or the inability to appreciate something out of the ordinary. 

Tourists still seek the "westerners" culture. There was a momentary period when the top attraction for Dallas, the "Grassy Knoll", was supplanted by "Southfork"; now the top attraction in Dallas is once again the "Grassy Knoll" along with the Dallas "cheesy" Cowboys and Cowgirl Cheerleaders.

Fort Worth has that something out of the ordinary that tourists really enjoy to engage in.  Instead, of improving Fort Worth's image, I believe that it should receive greater exposure.

#152 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

*improve awareness* yeah...basically what you said.

My blog: Doohickie

#153 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

Not intending to criticism FWBP, an excellent magazine, but here's another case in point:  In their latest edition (Focus Real Estate, Page 22), the magazine lists "Tarrant Area Museums."  But of the 26 museums listed, all but four are located in Fort Worth (three in Arlington and one in Grand Prairie).  Aside from wondering why other satellite communities (e.g., North Richland Hills) in the county do not have museums, why not give Fort Worth it's due for having 22 museums?

#154 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

So this is how far we've come? 85% of the list is from Fort Worth and that's not good enough? Are my expectations too low since I'm just happy they didn't include something from Dallas?

As for suburbs not having museums, many lack the connection to history and most lack the old money it takes to keep an especially high quality museum up and running.

#155 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

"Fort Worth area museums" would sound better than "Tarrant area museums."

------------------------------------------

There's a local commercial on TV for a company called "Tarrant Roofing," where they refer to their service area as "Dallas metro and Tarrant."

They're based in Bedford, but the way they state their service area seems odd to me.

-Dylan

#156 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

"Fort Worth area museums" would sound better than "Tarrant area museums."

------------------------------------------

There's a local commercial on TV for a company called "Tarrant Roofing," where they refer to their service area as "Dallas metro and Tarrant."

They're based in Bedford, but the way they state their service area seems odd to me.

I've thought all along that each of these name incidents is trivial in nature, but the point I was making was they may eventually accumulate to an unfortunate public perception.  Business trade names don't concern me as much, in as much as the promoter/organizer has to come up with a unique assumed name to get county clerk and/or secretary of state approval.  In the case cited above, it is proper for a Bedford company to use the name Tarrant rather than Fort Worth.

#157 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

This has been one of my favorite topics since internet forums began! Thankfully 'internet folks' have calmed to discussing the topic rather than the rivalry.

Interesting to note the twist of past flame wars when Dallas - Houston was the focus. The Dallas booster club gleefully welcomed the regional view, forgetful with melodrama from the need to be bundled with world of Fort Worth on a bigger stage. 

Unquestionably, four, five, six generations of municipal and civic leaders driven to create separate identities with best-in-class amenities has set North Texas apart in a comparison among peer population centers. Two zoos, Two Arts/Cultural Districts, Two Botanic Gardens, Two (resurgent) downtown settings.... this is potent quality of life stuff now and will only improve as the region evolves it's way into a different peer group. The rise of Plano/Frisco as a place, hopefully one day to emerge as a third downtown congregational node. We'll see if that happens before Downtown Dallas and Las Colinas advance toward a state of contiguous city. 

The potential of Downtown Fort Worth as the Tarrant gathering place must be managed with a regional perspective, returning (I guess) to the intent of this thread. What's happening to the social structure in Dallas and Collin is a fantastic opportunity for Fort Worth to, um, build it's brand. 

Funny, I always seem consider Arlington as an afterthought. The attractions in that Tarrant County city are as strong or stronger as any in the South Central US, but without a sense of place - at least in my mind. 

#158 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

Funny, I always seem consider Arlington as an afterthought. The attractions in that Tarrant County city are as strong or stronger as any in the South Central US, but without a sense of place - at least in my mind. 

Oooooh, the burn!  :laugh:

#159 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

Arlington is trying hard to create that sense of place with all of the work going on between their downtown and UTA, but the problem is that it is so disjointed and isolated from the stadiums and entertainment district that it will never live up to the potential it would have if they were next door to each other.

#160 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

For some time I've been concerned that Fort Worth is not being rightly served by the print and media outlets that are supposed to be "local."  Even if they are now aimed broadly at DFW or North Texas, we would hope that Fort Worth gets its share of attention.  I don't believe our city is and I don't know where the fault lies--with the media or with the city. 

Case in point is the disproportionate share of advertising by Fort Worth merchants as opposed to those elsewhere in the Metroplex.  I single out auto dealerships as the most glaring example.  On Channels 5 and 11 I've noticed, from a cursory surfing of commercials, that  we see more of Tom Parks, Huffines, and Clay Coolie than of Frank Kent, Moritz, and Bruce Lowrie.  This is just one of many Fort Worth-based industries missing from local commercials.

This may sound picky and we've had this discussion before.  But it hasn't been corrected.  is it the fault of Fort Worth merchants who just don't want to bother with media exposure?  Or are the media outlets' sales departments deliberately targeting the Dallas area merchants in a disproportionate manner?

Does it make a difference?  It sure does to our local economy when merchants elsewhere use the media outlets to lure consumers to shop with them rather than with local merchants.

#161 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

..... Even if they [advertisements] are now aimed broadly at DFW or North Texas, we would hope that Fort Worth gets its share of attention.  I don't believe our city is and I don't know where the fault lies--with the media or with the city. ......is it the fault of Fort Worth merchants who just don't want to bother with media exposure?  Or are the media outlets' sales departments deliberately targeting the Dallas area merchants in a disproportionate manner?

I don't think it is the fault of either Fort Worth or the media.  Advertisement dollars spent on the airwaves are becoming less important than dollars 

spent through direct mailing to very specific market area and having a good online presence.

For example if you are in the market for a Honda, your GPS information will direct you to the nearest dealer and the convenience of post purchase maintenance and service.

In general, TV advertisement may only get you thinking of a particular vehicle and leads into you shopping with the local merchants.

#162 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:36 AM

..... Even if they [advertisements] are now aimed broadly at DFW or North Texas, we would hope that Fort Worth gets its share of attention.  I don't believe our city is and I don't know where the fault lies--with the media or with the city. ......is it the fault of Fort Worth merchants who just don't want to bother with media exposure?  Or are the media outlets' sales departments deliberately targeting the Dallas area merchants in a disproportionate manner?

I don't think it is the fault of either Fort Worth or the media.  Advertisement dollars spent on the airwaves are becoming less important than dollars 

spent through direct mailing to very specific market area and having a good online presence.

For example if you are in the market for a Honda, your GPS information will direct you to the nearest dealer and the convenience of post purchase maintenance and service.

In general, TV advertisement may only get you thinking of a particular vehicle and leads into you shopping with the local merchants.

I appreciate your insight here, which is focused primarily on the retail auto sales industry.  I singled that one out for illustrative purposes, but the point I wanted to make is that, overall, Fort Worth merchants are mostly absent from the airwaves.  Not so much newspaper advertising.  The Internet appears so amorphous as to identifying a particular advertising market, I think it would be difficult to measure such markets on the basis of geographical location.

But TV and radio broadcasting is still a media of measurable geographic location importance  The media can through advertising lure consumers to do their shopping in this locale rather than that locale.  If enough broadcasting ads out there are ubiquitous and continuous in telling us to shop merchants in the Dallas area rather than the Fort Worth area, that's bound to have a profound effect on how people perceive Fort Worth as a market, in my opinion.

#163 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

Something to think about: Dallas-Fort Worth is the 5th largest U.S. media market.

The Fort Worth area accounts for about 1/3rd of local viewership, while the Dallas area accounts for about 2/3rds of local viewership.

Fort Worth companies have to pay market #5 advertising rates, even if their focus is on 1/3 of the viewing area.

-Dylan

#164 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:14 AM

Something to think about: Dallas-Fort Worth is the 5th largest U.S. media market.

The Fort Worth area accounts for about 1/3rd of local viewership, while the Dallas area accounts for about 2/3rds of local viewership.

Fort Worth companies have to pay market #5 advertising rates, even if their focus is on 1/3 of the viewing area.

Thanks.  I take it you have researched this topic.  Of course I was basing my opinion on an anecdotal observation of a few TV channels but over long enough a period of time to get a perceptual idea of which side of the Metroplex is more favored with retail advertising.  This is not being against the Dallas area which, understandably, should benefit more on account of its larger proportion of population and commerce in the Metroplex.  I'm just concerned about the viability of the markets in Fort Worth.  And, to the extent that Fort Worth merchants are largely ignored by the media, the "Fort Worth" brand (so to speak) is somewhat diminished as a commercial market center.

#165 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

....The impression given is by this article is  Dallas/(whatever). What do Gordon and the newspaper mean?...For me, it is further evidence that Fort Worth is the largest city in Texas without a hometown paper.

Mr. Gordon's headline is an egregious omission of the City that he supposedly reports to.  Not to mention the City by name is something I can not imagine any other daily paper would do in a similar situation.

Also, I applaud and find myself in agreement with the Editor of the Fort Worth Business Press for expressing his outrage with the repeated misprinting of the name of the City. My personal way of writing the name of the City is to write "Fort" instead of Ft.  Just me. :)

#166 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

....The impression given is by this article is  Dallas/(whatever). What do Gordon and the newspaper mean?...For me, it is further evidence that Fort Worth is the largest city in Texas without a hometown paper.

Mr. Gordon's headline is an egregious omission of the City that he supposedly reports to.  Not to mention the City by name is something I can not imagine any other daily paper would do in a similar situation.

Also, I applaud and find myself in agreement with the Editor of the Fort Worth Business Press for expressing his outrage with the repeated misprinting of the name of the City. My personal way of writing the name of the City is to write "Fort" instead of Ft.  Just me. :)

I sometimes write "Ft," too.  But that's okay.  Our city's historical predecessor, as an Army post, could be Fort or abbreviated "Ft."  Like Ft. Sill or Ft. Chafee.  I'm not even upset if people say "Forth Worth."  At least they are acknowledging the existence of a city and that name distortion is close enough.  What I'm worried about is Fort Worth being meshed into a Metroplex titled "Dallas."  And I've cutely suggested in the past that, if we're going to have a two-city metroplex, why not trade off the title.  Like every five years, it's the "Fort Worth Metroplex" and every other five years the "Dallas" Metroplex.

#167 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

Amid all this angst, a thought occurred to me:  It's projected that, at some point in the future, Ft Worth is destined to eclipse Dallas in population.  Even when that happens, we will still not be rid of Dallas.  Even if Ft Worth becomes a 900 lb. gorilla, Dallas will be right there as an 850 lb. gorilla.  Or if you think of the two cities as a binary star, we will always be in an orbit around Dallas, and vice-versa.

#168 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

.... Or if you think of the two cities as a binary star, we will always be in an orbit around Dallas, and vice-versa.

I don't think that there is ever a time when Dallas will not command a presence in the psyche of the general population. 

In my view, the problem arises from Fort Worth's silence and from which it demonstrates a willingness far too often and a willingness to be appeasing with this shared area as being label "Dallas" or being comfortable with the meaningless label "metroplex".  This kind of appeasement continues to push the City into a secondary position when competing for businesses.  Typically these businesses' look into the area follows this pattern when wanting to make a strategic entrance into the area: Dallas - Dallas Suburbs - Fort Worth.

If the headlines read by potential businesses who maybe curious about opening or relocating to the area and when those businesses read the headlines extolling it as "Dallas Area";this is very problematic when it comes from a local newspaper that omits "Fort Worth" from its title.

Shame on the local newspaper and its lack of display of civic pride.

#169 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:04 PM

The headline "Why Dallas may be the best place for Amazon's second headquarters" is inappropriate for a Fort Worth newspaper.

IS it still a "Ft. Worth newspaper" these days...?

Great question.  When we have to ask, then the doubt may be reasonable. 

It is easy to be hyperbolic about S-T's detachment of itself from the City, but it must be called out when it becomes normal for the ST do so.  Printed media is under a lot of pressure, but loyalty to a city and remaining one of the staunches institution of Fort Worth should never be sacrificed for readership. When one is not a bit narcissistic about oneself, usually, no one else will be.

It was a dark day back then when the newspaper chose to erase "Fort Worth" from its standard bearer.  The consequences of that decision have been that occasionally the paper is humiliatingly referred to as the Dallas Star Telegram. :eek:

#170 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

The new editors for the FW Star-T are not from this area and have no connection--they are to blame for allowing these things to happen--make your voice heard.

#171 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:00 AM

The new editors for the FW Star-T are not from this area and have no connection--they are to blame for allowing these things to happen--make your voice heard.

A few weeks ago FWBP hosted a journalism forum featuring as a guest speaker a founder of CBS news online programming.  I mention this because I thought to ask a question, and didn't do so, as to what will happen to "place" identity when all media eventually merges with the Internet.  Whether it's S-T or Channel 5, think about what will happen when this merger occurs completely.  Internet is the World Wide Web where news from New York can compete with news from Fort Worth in one big blob (or blog).  

The days of reading about local barbecues or local weddings in a local newspaper may not be coming to an end, but they will probably be drowned out by everything else on the Web.  The only identity left of Fort Worth may be the fact that its a charter municipality of the state of Texas.

#172 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

I am, obviously, biased in this regard, but the ongoing corporate takeovers (and scrubbing of local identities) of so many big daily papers drives home the importance of alternative, locally-owned & locally-focused papers like the Weekly.

(And the Star-Telegram still does good work, but their editorial voice is decidedly disconnected from a Fort Worth perspective.)

--

Kara B.

#173 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:42 AM

An interesting thing potentially effecting this.

The Republican-led FCC voted 3-2 to eliminate the 42-year-old ban on cross-ownership of a newspaper and TV station in a major market.

https://www.reuters....s-idUSKBN1DG2R9

Wouldn't be surprised to see "Star-Telegram brought to you by Dallas Morning News" within the next decade.

#174 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:52 AM

Wouldn't be surprised if what you say happens, but this FCC ruling has nothing to do with newspapers owning other newspapers.

This ruling essentially means a company who owns a TV station in a market can own the local newspaper as well.

Once upon a time, the Star-Telegram, WBAP radio, and WBAP-TV (now KXAS / NBC 5) were all part of the same company.

-Dylan

#175 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:11 AM

PeopleAreStrange, I remember those days when paper, radio station, and television station were all owned by the Amon Carter Family. (At first I was going to actually say Amon Carter, but I then realized that he passed away before I was born.)

#176 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

Wouldn't be surprised if what you say happens, but this FCC ruling has nothing to do with newspapers owning other newspapers.

This ruling essentially means a company who owns a TV station in a market can own the local newspaper as well.

Once upon a time, the Star-Telegram, WBAP radio, and WBAP-TV (now KXAS / NBC 5) w okere all part of the same company.

Ah, TY for the explanation.

#177 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

Hmm ? " We write stories that make a concrete difference in our communities" So says the Star-Telegram . https://twitter.com/...960205843218432 I beg to differ. 

#178 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

Wow! Instant pushback.  Do you think the S-T  is monitoring the Forum do you think? :ninja:

#179 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:20 PM

Wow! Instant pushback.  Do you think the S-T  is monitoring the Forum do you think? :ninja:

I don't know ? But would it kill them to say. We write stories that a make a concrete difference in FORT WORTH and the surrounding "communities" ? 

#180 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:38 PM

I don't know ? But would it kill them to say. We write stories that a make a concrete difference in FORT WORTH and the surrounding "communities" ?

I hope the S-T is reading The Forum because our comments then reverberates over  into the local mainstream media. :)

#181 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

All I have to say is that you would be surprised who reads the forum.

#182 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

All I have to say is that you would be surprised who reads the forum.

JTR, you have created a potent outlet for the people of Fort Worth to show how it feels and what issues are key for public discourse. We, as members, have an important role in providing thoughtful and relevant points that have a real potential of being read and acted upon by individuals who make up and run the civic institutions of the City.  Thanks to JTR, much of what we discussed here is and has the potential to be dispersed and amplified to a broader audience.

I know that I have been enlightened by what I have read on the Forum.

#183 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thank you.

#184 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:57 AM

This is in the "well whatdya know!" column.  That is to say, maybe a reversal of the trend.  FYI:  There's  a new Mitsubishi dealership named (guess what?) Fort Worth Mitsubishi  And, just this week, the ITC was renamed Fort Worth Central Station.  That's even one up on New York City, which long ago dubbed its transportation hub "Grand Central Station" but without the name New York preceding it (though it's sometimes called "New York's Grand Central Station").  Maybe other businesses and institutions will follow suit.  How about "Fort Worth Motor Speedway?"

#185 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:46 AM

Any time the Fort Worth name can be used, that is great.  Why do you think I called this the "Fort Worth Forum"?

#186 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:06 PM

...gotta admit, I'm kinda glad I skipped most of this thread.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#187 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:37 AM

I rarely ever watch local news, but I had to chuckle at a commercial for FORT WORTH'S CHANNEL 5 NEWS, I saw several times Sunday morning.  The anchor is talking about how long he's been at the station and how he  worked his way up from part- time to full-time anchor, hada, hada....all the while perched on top of a building with stunning views of downtown DALLAS all around him.   Really?, not ONE shot of Fort Worth??? 

#188 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:34 AM

I rarely ever watch local news, but I had to chuckle at a commercial for FORT WORTH'S CHANNEL 5 NEWS, I saw several times Sunday morning.  The anchor is talking about how long he's been at the station and how he  worked his way up from part- time to full-time anchor, hada, hada....all the while perched on top of a building with stunning views of downtown DALLAS all around him.   Really?, not ONE shot of Fort Worth??? 

With continued high-rise additions to downtown Fort Worth, at some point in the future the news media will not be able to ignore our skyline.

#189 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

I wonder how the viewership of the local news would change if the two Fort Worth stations oriented their news with a slight skew to Fort Worth and the two Dallas stations oriented slight toward Dallas .  I'm also wondering what the overall viewership of these stations would do if that was the case.  It's just something to ponder.

#190 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

What is needed is an euphemism used by the communists who want a change in thinking: reeducation.

You, (City of Fort Worth), should never stop reminding the media of its obligation to reflect Fort Worth visually in an equal manner that it reflects Dallas visually as a symbol of the area.   The anchor, who ever he or she is, should receive alerts identifying examples of neglectful speech when there is an oversight imaging solely Dallas without imaging Fort Worth; and that this neglect projects a sublime message that Fort Worth doesn't matter. 

Fort Worth provided incentives to this particular media outlet which makes the omission that more egregious.

Fort Worth should create an Office for Fort Worth Agency.

#191 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 08:51 PM

NBC 5 has several of these commercials. There is one I know of that only has Fort Worth as a backdrop.

-Dylan

#192 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:31 AM

According to this article, in last night's concert at Dickies Arena, we were repeatedly referred to as Dallas.  Perhaps some permanent signage should be installed in view of the stage to proactively remind performers where they are.

https://www.star-tel...e237269749.html

#193 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:08 PM

No signage; let me repeat myself -

"What is needed is an euphemism used by the communists who want a change in thinking: reeducation".

In these times and days,  it is very easily to text or email media outlets and performers that Fort Worth, Texas is not Dallas; do not conflate the two into one.

The City of Fort Worth must become passively aggressive; and if need be, it must hire a public relation officer(s) whose job is to get the word out to event organizers and performers that we are not amused by being thought of as being "Dallas" and that as a City we are striving to change that perception.

I believe that the people of Fort Worth do not generally harbor poor feelings towards Dallas, but I do believe that the general consensus among the people of Fort Worth that they want a clear distinction between the two cities. 

#194 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:41 PM

No signage; let me repeat myself -

"What is needed is an euphemism used by the communists who want a change in thinking: reeducation".

In these times and days,  it is very easily to text or email media outlets and performers that Fort Worth, Texas is not Dallas; do not conflate the two into one.

The City of Fort Worth must become passively aggressive; and if need be, it must hire a public relation officer(s) whose job is to get the word out to event organizers and performers that we are not amused by being thought of as being "Dallas" or that as a City we are striving to change that perception.

I believe that the people of Fort Worth do not generally harbor poor feelings towards Dallas, but I do believe that the general consensus among the people of Fort Worth that they want a clear distinction between the two cities. 

Okay, to me this is an issue.  Not just a PR problem.  Now that we know this sort of gaffe can occur, being an attorney I would review the existing boiler-plate contract that Dickie's Arena has with event organizers and/or performers.  If there isn't a clause that requires them to name "Fort Worth" for purposes of location identification, I would see that such a clause is added.  And if such a clause is violated, the offender needs to be held accountable.

Why?  Because we Fort Worth taxpayers put up much of the money to finance construction and operation of Dickie's Arena.  We didn't put up the money so event organizers and/or performers would tell the audience about the wonders of Dallas.

#195 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:02 PM

Raising to litigation would be a last step, IMO.

I do agree with you that there should be a "Public Relations Clause" when broadcasting or live performances originate from Fort Worth that obligates groups to disseminate information correctly.  If the clause is breached, then there should be monetary penalty assessed to the group.

Also, the DA Events Director should be held accountable when the breach occurs.  I know that accountability has a way of making someone acutely aware of things when otherwise those things are allowed to roll off the back of a duck.

#196 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:41 PM

To me this is just as simple as being called by our name.  There is nothing anti-Dallas about it.  If someone is talking to me, I don't want them to call me even by my best-friend's name -- I have my own name, and they have their's.

#197 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:19 PM

The City of Fort Worth must become passively aggressive; and if need be, it must hire a public relation officer(s) whose job is to get the word out to event organizers and performers that we are not amused by being thought of as being "Dallas" or that as a City we are striving to change that perception. [SNIP]

We need more high-profile officials to call out media outlets who wrongly identify Fort Worth as Dallas. Media outlets don't care what common people think.

As sad as it sounds, you may be right about Fort Worth needing an official city employee who's job it is to tell media, organizers, and performers which city they're in.

Okay, to me this is an issue.  Not just a PR problem.  Now that we know this sort of gaffe can occur, being an attorney I would review the existing boiler-plate contract that Dickie's Arena has with event organizers and/or performers.  If there isn't a clause that requires them to name "Fort Worth" for purposes of location identification, I would see that such a clause is added.  And if such a clause is violated, the offender needs to be held accountable.

Why?  Because we Fort Worth taxpayers put up much of the money to finance construction and operation of Dickie's Arena.  We didn't put up the money so event organizers and/or performers would tell the audience about the wonders of Dallas.

It's sad that a metro anchor such as Fort Worth needs this, but I completely agree.

Super M will be in Chicago tomorrow. I doubt we'll see them refer to Chicago as "Detroit."

-Dylan

#198 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

I think Fort Worth promoters are partly to blame by not insisting on naming rights for the new arena.  Such as "Fort Worth Dickie's Arena."  A similar failing, I believe, occurred years ago with respect to the naming of "Texas Motor Speedway."  Should have been called Fort Worth Motor Speedway (like "Atlanta Motor Speedway").

Not insisting on putting "Fort Worth" in the names of such facilities may be a contributing factor in such location misidentification gaffes that occurred the other day at Dickie's Arena.  Being a large metro-area city, Fort Worth has no excuse here.

But Arlington, being a small city, also fails to name facilities after itself (e.g. AT&T Stadium or Global Life Park).  So it's not surprising if lazy sports announcers say "Welcome to Dallas" when the Cowboys play in Arlington.  Thus far, fortunately, most of the pro-game announcers have not been lazy about that.

#199 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:59 PM

Whatever the Cowboys, the stadium, and Arlington are doing to ensure that announcers get the Arlington label correct works.  I've never heard it referred to in Dallas in any national broadcast.

#200 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:00 PM

Fort Worth-based leaders believe that it enriches Fort Worth to be associated with Dallas as much as it can.  Nothing exemplifies that belief more than the Mayor of Fort Worth given her full support to the Houston to Dallas HSR project thinking that it would somehow redown to Fort Worth.  Whut?

I believe that Arlington has been more assertive and has codified that its Arlington stadiums names cannot bear the names of any city other than the City of Arlington in its naming.  I think Arlington, unlike Fort Worth, has been aggressive in making its wishes understood to developers and users of its facilities.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users