56 replies to this topic

#1 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:09 AM

Trader Joe's, a California-based, German-owned specialty grocer famous for its "two-buck Chuck" wine, said Tuesday that it is seeking store sites throughout Texas, mentioning the competitive Dallas-Fort Worth and greater Houston regions.

http://www.star-tele...in-seeking.html

#2 annrenee

annrenee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:17 AM

It just doesn't get much better than Trader Joe's. I read that in the paper this morning and started dancing around the house.

#3 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:51 PM

How about that plot on Magnolia and South Jennings (NE side)? Camp Bowie? Alliance Town Center?

If Borders (Chapel Hill) did close, most definitely, Trader Joe’s will take that spot [way before] Dallas!

Had to rule out West 7th due to lack of parking space (and traffic - see In-N-Out).

#4 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

Ten stores in Texas for the initial rollout (2012) - any idea where? Dallas (Preston Royal), Houston (Inner Loop), what’s else?

Austin is out - not in the two-year plan (until 2013).

#5 annrenee

annrenee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

The old Larry Shoe's building w/ some improvement--southwest parkway, Hulen, I-20, competition (Sprouts and Central Market nearby). That's what they like.
And lots of California transplants.

#6 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

Along the Hulen corridor, they could take that vacant spot - formerly held by Office Depot - in the Overton Plaza.

Southwest Parkway will not be on the board (Edward Ranch) until 2014, at the earliest - to be waiting in the wings is Whole Foods.

#7 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

My bad, it is Preston Forest, not Preston Royal. Sounds like Trader Joe’s might compete with Natural Grocers and Whole Foods in the same trade area.

#8 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:14 AM

Since the so-called boutique Central Market is taking that space on Preston/Royal - I stand corrected about the location. While it may not be the flagship store, but I can envision somewhere along the line of Mollie Stone’s - the NorCal version of Oliver’s Fine Foods, no?

#9 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

This would be fantastic.

Sparq: I wouldn't say that Trader Joes is a direct competitor of Central Market or Whole Foods. TJ is a much smaller store with a narrower variety of products.

#10 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hope Trader Joe’s would move into Borders space in the Chapel Hill location, not BAM!

#11 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:51 PM

Still no mention on Trader Joe's website of any Texas locations under their "coming soon" section.

#12 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

I could almost see it going in downtown Fort Worth, would be so typical...

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#13 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

Pegasus News mentioned today that a lease was signed somewhere along Camp Bowie - a question comes in mind, is it traffic and/or parking nightmare? If so, I would have to scout for back roads and where I can legally park to shop on another property - presumingly, the lot is small and/or filled at all hours.

#14 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

Pegasus News mentioned today that a lease was signed somewhere along Camp Bowie - a question comes in mind, is it traffic and/or parking nightmare? If so, I would have to scout for back roads and where I can legally park to shop on another property - presumingly, the lot is small and/or filled at all hours.

Yep! http://www.pegasusne...er-joes-dallas/

#15 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:53 AM

According to S-T article (10/15), HEB Central Market will unveil its urban-market concept inside Loop 820 - one reader suggested the existing Fiesta location on 8th Avenue.

I could envision the following: Camp Bowie West, Fairmount (Massey building), Midtown, Near Southside, TCU/Berry, Upper West Side, and West 7th.

#16 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

According to S-T article (10/15), HEB Central Market will unveil its urban-market concept inside Loop 820 - one reader suggested the existing Fiesta location on 8th Avenue.

I could envision the following: Camp Bowie West, Fairmount (Massey building), Midtown, Near Southside, TCU/Berry, Upper West Side, and West 7th.

Here's that article:
Central Market maps out a plan for growth in DFW

Eighth Avenue and the Near Southside make sense. The TCU area and Camp Bowie seem to be the right target demographic, but neither are that far from the Hulen store. I'd add the Meadowbrook/Woodhaven area.

#17 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

According to the Dallas Business Journal, Trader Joe's has chosen a spot on South Hulen, right between Central Market and Sprouts:

Trader Joe's picks S. Hulen Street in Fort Worth

#18 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

Trader Joe's 404, ah, on the other side of the toll road - not Chapel Hill (at this time). Hopefully traffic woes - on the bridge - will ease [congestion] by then, no?

#19 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

The number 404 is mentioned for a reason - where is it? Store not found!

#20 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

2701 S Hulen St Fort Worth, TX 76109

15 December 2011

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#21 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

I believe that's the former site of Ronnie's Fine Wines. Not sure how long it's been empty.

#22 annie

annie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

It's not vacant right now--it's the home of Dorian's Furniture--interesting.
I remember long ago when it was Ronnie's--and wishing it was a Trader Joe's.

#23 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:54 AM

http://www.bizjourna...en-in-fort.html

#24 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

Interesting location, on Stonegate Blvd., which will soon extend well beyond Hulen, over the River, to connect to the Clearfork development taking place between the train tracks and the river. A good location already, and once the bridge is done and development gets going in there, there will be even more affluent housing units to patronize their store.
My blog: Doohickie

#25 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Whole foods is slated back the clear fork development right?

#26 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

According to Houston Chronicle, it is next spring! No hard date as of yet.

@Thurman52 - you are correct, John Mackey personally chosen that location when riding in a helicopter on scouting mission.

#27 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

Confirmed [recently] by S-T for the Hulen location.

#28 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

Spec's Wine, Spirits and Finer Foods will be going in across the street from where Trader Joe's will be, the Star-Telegram says:
Fort Worth's Marvin Electronics to close after 65 years

#29 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Not to hijack this thread - Central Market Preston Royal is slated to open on 2/15.

Hopefully, it will be our turn next - how about Central Market Southside?

#30 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Southside where? Near Southside in Fort Worth? Never gonna happen. Have you seen the near area median income requirements needed to entice places like CM and Whole Foods to enter a market?

#31 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

I'd love to see a Central Market or Whole Foods Downtown though. Perhaps down there on Lancaster. I love Austin's downtown Whole Foods campus. It's huge, bikable/walkable and driveable.

#32 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

@Volare - it is all about demographics. Whole Foods is going to Edwards Ranch.

Anyway, Trader Joe’s will open in June/July (2012) and not to mention, ten-plus stores in Texas by the end of next year.

#33 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

@Volare - it is all about demographics. Whole Foods is going to Edwards Ranch.

How about a Sunflower Farmers' Market located in Near East Dallas (Ross@Henderson)? Demographics look very similar to Near Southside.

Your source for meal planning, printable coupons, savings and recipes. :: Sunflower Markets

#34 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

Sunflower Farmers Market is being acquired by Sprouts Farmers Market - check this blog.

Henry’s, Sun Harvest, then Sunflower sprouting as Sprouts (no puns intended).

Natural Grocers would be a nice consolation prize - for Southside.

If not Central Market Southside, how about Texas & Pacific Central Market?

#35 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Stuck on Helen traffic ths morning to crss the bridge and looked right and saw what appeared to be a temporary fence crew unloading fencing, I assume it's for trader joes construction

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

By lunch, they were half way across the front along Hulen Street with the fencing.

#37 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

As a future Near Southside resident, I'd be perfectly fine with a Sprouts type market. Fiesta is on 8th and there is always Central Market on Hulen or Target on West 7th. Downtown needs either CM or Whole Foods. Putting that sort of store in town will help build more people living in downtown.

Anyone have a opening date for Trader Joe's?

#38 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

As a future Near Southside resident, I'd be perfectly fine with a Sprouts type market. Fiesta is on 8th and there is always Central Market on Hulen or Target on West 7th. Downtown needs either CM or Whole Foods. Putting that sort of store in town will help build more people living in downtown.

The Oliver's downtown fills most of the need they had down there, and unfortunately there is just no demand for a full-scale grocer. We won't get another CM in Fort Worth in over a decade if ever, because the current one is perfectly located to bring in people from everywhere.

#39 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

When the Hulen location was first reported, they said sometime "in the spring."

#40 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

@elpingüino - June/July, straight from the horse's mouth (or authoritative source).

#41 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

@Joshw - it would be nice to see fresh & easy, including its express concept, especially in and around downtown (and point south - hospital employees).

#42 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

@Joshw - it would be nice to see fresh & easy, including its express concept, especially in and around downtown (and point south - hospital employees).

Never heard of that, looks interesting though.

#43 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

HEB is expanding into [north] Fort Worth - check here.

#44 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

As a future Near Southside resident, I'd be perfectly fine with a Sprouts type market. Fiesta is on 8th and there is always Central Market on Hulen or Target on West 7th.

Ryan's Fine Grocer is planning to open this fall.
My blog: Doohickie

#45 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

HEB is expanding into [north] Fort Worth - check here.

Nicccccce! :-)
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Trader Joe's on South Hulen opens up on Friday, June 15th.

#47 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

Yours truly is going this Friday to partake in the lei-cutting ceremony - and to shop!

#48 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

Will the masses wait in line ala In-N-Out?

#49 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

We went last Saturday, and while it was fine, I don't "get" what the big deal is (much like In-N-Out). Lots of pre-packaged stuff & frozen foods, some interesting items, reasonable prices. Fairly decent wine & beer selections with lots of budget-friendly options. Ridiculously crowded. Parking situation = bad. Decent store, but IMHO way, way overhyped for what it is. Still, it is nice to have another grocery store option!

#50 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Spoke with first mate earlier today at Trader Joe's - was told that a distribution center is currently being built in Waco, in addition to fifty stores across Texas within five years. In regards to Fort Worth, there would be at least two or three more stores - he may have meant (northeast) Tarrant, not sure. A crew member mentioned there is a Trader Joe's every four miles in Los Angeles (metro) - probably only in Austin, since it will have six stores (sans one confirmed location on the company website) within that time frame.

Addendum - I asked why Waco, not let say, DFW. They said, it is to build relationships (e.g., accessibility) with local vendors (farmers) as products would be Trader Joe's brand, if successful, they can be exported to other stores on both coasts. Might give HEB run for its money - if both use same vendors - as the vendors can take advantage of national (Trader Joe's), rather than regional (HEB) exposure. Would like to see what HEB has in sleeves to compete with ALDI (Joe V's Smart Shop as seen in Houston?) and Trader Joe's, especially here in Texas. They may have already responded to Whole Foods downsizing its model (30K) with Preston Royal Central Market, for instance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users