299 replies to this topic

#101 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:21 AM

Being conservative that would be around 340 feet tall ? And I always go to Mr. Roberts Fort Worth Tallest buildings when new downtown projects are proposed. This would make it between Pier1 standing at 324 feet. And Frost Tower that stands at 368 feet in height. 

#102 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:25 AM

Being conservative that would be around 340 feet tell ? And I always go to Mr. Roberts Fort Worth Tallest buildings when new downtown projects are proposed. This would make it between Pier1 standing at 324 feet. And Frost Tower that stands at 368 feet in height. 

Also based on Mr. Roberts' prior explanation, the fact that a 30-floor building is actually less tall than the 26-floor Frost Tower, an office tower, is that floor-to-ceiling heights in residential towers are smaller.  Am I correct in this?

#103 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:59 AM

Floor to ceiling heights in residential towers are usually lower than the floor to ceiling heights in office buildings.  Therefore, the floor to floor height is also usually lower in a residential tower.  This usually produces a shorter building.

#104 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

I use the river tower residence as a measure. As I think Austin55 said one time as well. Correct me if I am wrong Austin ? I don't use "The Tower" because it was built as a office building.

#105 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

Beautiful new renderings, height approved by DDRB!

Check out @WorthResidencess Tweet: https://twitter.com/...9194778624?s=09

iqzh6EXr.jpg

Also it's 30 floors!

Looking forward to seeing what the projected views would be from the units!

#106 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

Here's 5th+West's elevation. 340 should be fairly easy for Worth. With the roof being and screening I think it'll hit 360 or be very close 

eLrtK2b.png

#107 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

Also, in comparison to Frost Tower... the bottom 12 floors of Frost or so are parking garage which I believe are shorter floor to ceiling ratios than office building floors. I think in the end this building may come close to Frost.

I also like the how the base of the building creates a wall with the group of townhomes to the north of the tower.

#108 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:36 PM

Also, in comparison to Frost Tower... the bottom 12 floors of Frost or so are parking garage which I believe are shorter floor to ceiling ratios than office building floors. I think in the end this building may come close to Frost.

I also like the how the base of the building creates a wall with the group of townhomes to the north of the tower.

It looks like Worth may have some sort of townhome style units along Henderson as well, which might give a small height boost. It also adds a nice look and creates a pleasant sidewalk interaction. The garage seems well designed and screened as well which is a nice change from some of the uglier garages we've seen on occasion.

#109 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

I now have a height for the building.  When completed, it will be 381'-4" tall. 

#110 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:54 PM

https://www.bizjourn...tml#g/430325/19

Several additional renderings of the amenity areas.

#111 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:49 AM

I have bad news.  I made a mistake.  I have changed the overall height of this building down to 381'-4".  I have also deleted two of the posts after the report on the height.  I apologize. 

#112 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:32 AM

It's slightly taller than Frost and roughly the same height as Landmark was.  That's still going to be an impressive impact on the skyline.

#113 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

It's slightly taller than Frost and roughly the same height as Landmark was.  That's still going to be an impressive impact on the skyline.

When I crane my neck back to gaze upward at the top of these towers I can't tell the difference between 381 feet and 400-something feet.  Makes my neck sore, of course.

#114 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

Maybe it is just the architect in me, but I can tell the difference in different buildings heights that are close.  Frost looks about the same height as the old Landmark Tower, but it also seems like it is a little shorter.  The old Landmark Tower also "appeared" quite a bit taller when it had the clock on top of it.  That was a large box revolving sign that was about 40' x 40' square and raised the "apparent" top of the building by 40 feet. 

Also, as I have begun to discover the actual heights of these buildings, I began to realize that the reported height of the buildings were incorrect.  For many years, 500 W. 7th and Tandy Towers were reported to be 300' tall.  However, looking at them next to other buildings, I realized that they were actually shorter.  When the contractors started work on the Frost Tower, they surveyed the heights of all the surrounding buildings and found that the biggest error was on 500 W. 7th.  It is actually 273 feet in height.

#115 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

I have bad news.  I made a mistake.  I have changed the overall height of this building down to 381'-4".  I have also deleted two of the posts after the report on the height.  I apologize. 

That's ok. Lord knows you provide a ton of information I could never provide. Still taller over Frost I did not expect.  I am still happy for our skyline. A personal thanks for your hard work Mr. Roberts.  :smwink: 

#116 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

Thank you, Now In Denton.  I just can't believe that I made such a big mistake! 

#117 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

Please don't think nothing of it. On a side note I saw in the news how construction cranes are in such demand. That they are reserved two years out ! So this may effect when construction begins.

#118 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:47 PM

I just realized that the Frost Tower will only be the 7th Tallest Building in the city for a short time.  With the Southern Land Company building going in at 30 stories, Frost could be the 9th Tallest in no time.

#119 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:44 PM

I just realized that the Frost Tower will only be the 7th Tallest Building in the city for a short time.  With the Southern Land Company building going in at 30 stories, Frost could be the 9th Tallest in no time.

"Tallest Building in the city"

You recently opined that the former Landmark block was preferable over the Monnig block for the tallest building in the city. Aren't these two blocks nearly identical; and too, the Monnig block is within the Sundance Square holdings which makes it the logical location for the rumored SSQ super tall building?

One other thing, David M Schwartz has shown that his preferred maximum height is 60 meters. I am dubious of his willingness to exceed this ceiling of his.

About the Monnig block, I think a similar project like this proposed Denver project of approximately  (15 level garage base; 15-25 stories of commercial space; 15-25 stories of residential/hotel) would work on this 100'x100' block; again not really expecting a DMS to come through.

https://42mzqz26jebq...-17-overall.jpg

#120 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:46 PM

It's entirely possible that a client has never asked Schwartz to go higher than that. In my experience, architects typically give their clients what they want.

#121 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:50 PM

It's entirely possible that a client has never asked Schwartz to go higher than that. In my experience, architects typically give their clients what they want.

Check out his portfolio. You would look in vain to find a legitimate high rise; he is all about human scale and retro.

A proposed 21-story condo tower was reduced to a 6-story project.

#122 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:56 PM

The Worth is going before the zoning commission. It is currently in the Panther Island overlay, which I mentioned earlier has a height limit of 24 floors. It is looking to be rezoned to CBD which has no limit.

#123 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:12 PM

Rename, the Gateway or Monnig Block is 200' x 200' square.

#124 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:14 PM

Check out his portfolio. You would look in vain to find a legitimate high rise; he is all about human scale and retro. A proposed 21-story condo tower was reduced to a 6-story project.

I know. If they want to build the city's tallest and he won't do it, they'll go with another architect. If he talks them into going smaller, then they're not serious about building something taller.

#125 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:23 PM

Check out his portfolio. You would look in vain to find a legitimate high rise; he is all about human scale and retro. A proposed 21-story condo tower was reduced to a 6-story project.

I know. If they want to build the city's tallest and he won't do it, they'll go with another architect. If he talks them into going smaller, then they're not serious about building something taller.

DMS has an uncanny sway upon Bass/SSQ and has made the City his own professional catalogue.

It would be terribly exciting to see what a Pelli Clarke Pelli would do with the Monnig Block.

http://pcparch.com/

#126 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:30 PM

I'd be surprised to see something over 30 floors on that block.

#127 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

Worth zoning approved by city council

https://www.nbcdfw.c...lowTwt_DFWBrand

#128 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 04:12 PM

What would move to the #8 spot?

#129 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

Currently, the Frost Tower is the 7th tallest building at 368 feet.  The Worth Residences is supposed to be 30 stories and 381'-4".  Southern Land Company/901 Commerce is supposed to be 32 stories.  If that building is taller than 368 feet, then the Frost Tower would be pushed down to 9th tallest.

#130 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:41 PM

I don't guess anybody has seen floorplans or pricing on this building?  They had a full page ad on Sunday with no information.  But a link.  Follow the link? Just asked for your e-mail address.  I gave them one.  (You know...  the one you use when you order online from Pizza Hut and don't want and email with a coupon every day for the rest of your life.)  

But? Nothing yet.  Was hoping they would email me some information.  I did hear from a fairly reliable source that stated this building will not happen if there is not a certain number of pre-orders.  Guessing that is common.  Likely was the deal here at the Tower but sold out right away. 

www.fortworthview.com

#131 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:39 PM

My understanding the building is in a zone that could only go 24 stories. So why did they get a variance for a 30 story building ? Seems like someone thought the need was great to add more floors at one time ? Or I have a feeling they may still build it but keep it at 24 floors ? 

#132 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:49 PM

The building was in a zone that had a height limit of 24 stories.  The zoning was changed by the Zoning Commission and the City Council to "H" - Central Business District, where there are no height limits.  If it is built, it will be 30 stories.  The building at 30 stories was also approved by the Downtown Design Review Board.  To change the design, the owners would have to submit their revised plans to the DDRB for another approval.

#133 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

Currently, the Frost Tower is the 7th tallest building at 368 feet.  The Worth Residences is supposed to be 30 stories and 381'-4".  Southern Land Company/901 Commerce is supposed to be 32 stories.  If that building is taller than 368 feet, then the Frost Tower would be pushed down to 9th tallest.

John - thanks for posting that.  Was curious. 

Since the site for the Worth is at a lower elevation vs Frost Tower, I expect the actual elevation of the top of Frost Tower might remain higher than the top of the Worth.  Right?

#134 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

Interesting to see that we're seeing a wave of projects that are designed to come in around the 360-400 ft height.  I'm sure somewhat a coincidence but guessing there is some reason behind it as well - for example, the general size targets of multifamily and condo projects and maximum realistic height of the parking garages. 

Is there a general rule of thumb about the max number of floors residents or office tenants will tolerate driving up into a parking structure?  Logic suggests people would get tired of (and dizzy from) driving up, say 20 floors of parking garage ramps, which would limit the maximum size of the building above, assuming the building is designed to be self-parked on site. 

#135 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

Interesting to see that we're seeing a wave of projects that are designed to come in around the 360-400 ft height.  I'm sure somewhat a coincidence but guessing there is some reason behind it as well - for example, the general size targets of multifamily and condo projects and maximum realistic height of the parking garages. 

Is there a general rule of thumb about the max number of floors residents or office tenants will tolerate driving up into a parking structure?  Logic suggests people would get tired of (and dizzy from) driving up, say 20 floors of parking garage ramps, which would limit the maximum size of the building above, assuming the building is designed to be self-parked on site. 

I do wonder about tall garages.  I get a bit worn out driving up 6 floors.  I sure see people driving up 12 floors next door to me. Dern...   At some point, they need to escalate (no pun intended) those elevator garages. 

www.fortworthview.com

#136 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

If someone lived in the Worth and commute downtown they would likely spend more time driving in circles in garages than the actual commute!

#137 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:42 PM

I am a realtor and I went to a condo financing workshop that was held at the the TRVA. We were informed that a lot condo developers in Austin are at an over saturation point and are now competing with each other fiercely for residents. They said that a lot of those developers are looking at Fort Worth as the next market they are going after. With a focus on Panther Island. I think downtown will look dramatically different in the next 10 years if what they told us what is coming our way happens. Even if half of what they project it will still be a major impact.

#138 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:13 PM

What would move to the #8 spot?

Cjyoung, I'm assuming that the Southern Land Company building will be taller than Frost.  If that building is built at 35 stories, then it will be 7th, pushing The Worth Residences down to 8th, and Frost down to 9th.  I hope I have my heights correct, now.

#139 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:45 PM

If someone lived in the Worth and commute downtown they would likely spend more time driving in circles in garages than the actual commute!

when my wife worked at United Way downtown, she figured that it was six minutes to walk there or seven minutes to drive there. (From the 6th floor with two  gates.) 

www.fortworthview.com

#140 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

Going back before DDRB for a certificate to construct. That's great news.

#141 FunkyTownTay

FunkyTownTay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Urban Development

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:22 PM

Was anyone at the DDRB meeting today? Safe to assume the certificate was granted?

#142 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:30 PM

It was approved.  Therefore, it appears that we will have a new building under construction, soon.

#143 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:17 AM

I received the annotated meeting agenda at my office this morning.  This e-mail gives the specifics on the actual votes.  The project was approved unanimously (5-0) by the Downtown Design Review Board.  However, there were only five board members present.  The board consists of 7 members and one alternate.

#144 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 03:01 PM

Below is a link to the Fort Worth Business Press article on the approval:

http://www.fortworth...16b31d5e6b.html

#145 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:47 PM

DfNMTOSUcAAexAA.jpg DfNMTy0UEAA8LsB.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#146 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

^^
This is going to be quite imposing and impressive when driving south on Henderson into DT

#147 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

What a beautiful-looking building!

#148 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:56 AM

I drive past this site every morning, and last week a sign went up saying the land is available. Very strange because they just got approval and the Worth Residences Twitter is still actively posting and seems like nothing is wrong. I looked at the listing on the transwestern website and it shows the plot of land being available all the way from where the Worth is supposed to go to the corner of belknap and Henderson where the bail bonds place is. Does anyone know what is going on? There isnt any news or anything anywhere.

#149 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:06 AM

Maybe the real estate firm just wants the publicity of having its name up on a visible lot and then a big sold sign on it in a few weeks to show how quickly they found a buyer.

#150 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:13 AM

I don't think that's how that works.

My blog: Doohickie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users