• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

In 1921 the klu klux klan kleagle number 101 built a large auditorium on north main not far from downtown, seating 4000.At that time, the klan membership was quite respectable,and leading citizens and politicians donned white robes and staged parades and civic festivals.by 1924 public feelings changed , the building was bombed twice and set on fire once. they rebuilt the building on the same spot.i have two pics , i can email you copies or mmsthem to you.

#2 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:06 AM

Larry, I think this is the building you are referring to. For many decades it was Ellis Pecan factory. My wife's grandmother, who lived on a farm in South Arlington, worked there for many years. I do not know when. Guessing, in the 40s. It was a real sweat shop. She was on an assembly line working with pecans, but all women had to wear high heels even though they were on their feet working all day and were not in front of customers. I would have bombed the place for that. Plenty of KKK in Fort Worth for a long time. Pretty much in every City in United States. Pretty much hated Blacks, Jews and Catholics.

I took this pic several years ago while walking to The Stockyards from Downtown.
Posted Image
IMG_9892 by Brian Luenser, on Flickr
www.fortworthview.com

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

Yes, that is the building, and it even has its own listing in "Architecture in Fort Worth". Below is the link to the description and that is followed by the photograph on the web site.

Ellis Pecan Co. from Architecture in Fort Worth

Posted Image

#4 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

It was a ballet company. Was this the one where the owner(s) packed up and left over night?

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#5 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

I don't think that the ballet company (TBT) ever renovated or did anything other than put a sign on the building. Their eyes were probably much bigger than their wallet. They moved from the Ridgmar Mall satellite to the old Best/Golds/etc. building behind the mall.

#6 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

I don't think that the ballet company (TBT) ever renovated or did anything other than put a sign on the building. Their eyes were probably much bigger than their wallet. They moved from the Ridgmar Mall satellite to the old Best/Golds/etc. building behind the mall.

#7 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

I do find it curious to see the klan and Texas Ballet Theater in the same conversation.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#8 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

I do find it curious to see the klan and Texas Ballet Theater in the same conversation.

By curious, you do mean odd as oppose to intriguing?
I have always thought of the TBT as a stellar organization that represents the city in the highest light; and I hope that there is no cause for any of us to think otherwise.

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#9 hipolyte

hipolyte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:Interested in history, art & architecture, classic automobiles, good food, music & live theater.

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

With the opening of the The National Museum of African American History and Culture by the Smithsonian Institution, it seems like this would be a good time to float the idea of a Fort Worth Museum of African American History. The former 'Klavern' building would in my opinion be the perfect place to house one, especially if the interfering structures and trees were cleared to give "Goose-Neck" Bill McDonald's obelisk an unobstructed view of the building. Just as Frank Norris situated his Seminary on the former site of the Top O' The Hill Terrace, there is some poetic justice to the former icon of intolerance becoming a new icon of reconciliation. Thoughts?

#10 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:18 PM

Mt. Gilead, perhaps?

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:21 PM

Mt. Gilead, perhaps?

I would hope that Mt. Gilead, if or when sold, might become another downtown performance center.

There is currently an African American Cultural Museum and Center that serves Fort Worth and Tarrant County.  It is located in the Near South East sector of the City. Also a museum that exhibits the western heritage of cowboys of color.

https://www.fortwort...er-museum/6074/

http://www.cowboysof...r.org/about.php

IMO, the former "Klanvern" building would seem to be an inappropriate site for the current or an expanded AACMC.  Ideally, the AACMC should have a place in the Cultural District.  It would be nice if the City could purchase, rehab and combined some of the surviving "shot-gun" houses into a exhibit space located somewhere on the grounds of the Cultural District.

• JBB likes this

#12 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

I'd like to see such a museum in the cultural district as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users