• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:59 AM

Is it common for voting locations to change places?

When I first moved downtown it was in the downtown library, now it's over on Burnett, I'm just wondering when or if it's going to move again.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#2 wrench

wrench

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:43 AM

When I first moved downtown it was in the downtown library, now it's over on Burnett, I'm just wondering when or if it's going to move again.

It's not unusual. I've voted in three or four different places during my 20 years living in this house, same district.

#3 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:57 PM

It's not unusual. I've voted in three or four different places during my 20 years living in this house, same district.

I'd heard that it moved over to Burnett when it changed hands from Rep to Dem, thought it would change back by now, maybe next time.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#4 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

It can also depend on what type of election is being held. Frequently City Council elections and bond elections are held at a different location than legislative elections. What's really strange in my case is that because of the crazy way the lines are drawn, I have to drive right past a polling place to get to the polling place for my district.

#5 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:53 AM

We vote somewhere until we get kicked out, mostly.

Makes me very angry. We are not really welcome in the City Library. We are not really welcome in the Tarrant County plaza. (they took all my voting signs down yesterday because they didn't like the looks of them)

I have really learned how poorly run our local government offices are. The downtown library hated us there until we got booted out. (We did not have a single voter that did not live in Fort Worth) I wanted to ask, "Why should these voters not be welcome in the building they are paying for?" Library. Mostly a waste of money in these times. Certainly extravagant ones.
A long rack of computers. Walk by them at 10am on a Tuesday to see mostly bums looking for dates. Great.

Tarrant County Plaza. Our current voting location. Biggest misuse of my money I know. Huge, extravagant building. More cleaning people than you need for a huge Hotel. It is cleaning people cleaning after cleaning people. I am completely serious. It is a building full of cleaning people. I would eat my soup out the urinals. Ridiculous. And the HVAC. 62 degrees all summer. 80 degrees all Winter. And nobody there knows how to adjust it. (computer controls) We are spending a fortune on the downtown library and the Tarrant Plaza building just in wasted energy. Of course these building should be 68 all winter and 78 all summer. In the library last summer, I would see workers with coats on when it was 100 outside.

I am about to get way involved in how people are spending my money.

And to think we are in a budget crisis.
www.fortworthview.com

#6 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

Makes me very angry. We are not really welcome in the City Library. We are not really welcome in the Tarrant County plaza. (they took all my voting signs down yesterday because they didn't like the looks of them)

I'm a little lost here. Is the "we" that you use the voting volunteers that run the polls, or your family? What kind of voting signs? Official voting place signs, or home made somethings?

About FW spending, I am confused too. I remember reading that due to budget shortfalls, the city would not pay to clear out the alleyways in old neighborhoods like Heights since officially it's the homeowners' responsibility. But recently I got a doorknob flyer that said the city was having some company clear out the alleys. Could it be that the city still needs to spend on small/disadvantaged/minority/women owned businesses to meet some Fed/State rule?

#7 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

I'm a little lost here. Is the "we" that you use the voting volunteers that run the polls, or your family? What kind of voting signs? Official voting place signs, or home made somethings?

About FW spending, I am confused too. I remember reading that due to budget shortfalls, the city would not pay to clear out the alleyways in old neighborhoods like Heights since officially it's the homeowners' responsibility. But recently I got a doorknob flyer that said the city was having some company clear out the alleys. Could it be that the city still needs to spend on small/disadvantaged/minority/women owned businesses to meet some Fed/State rule?

I was (and have been for 4 years) the presiding election judge downtown. When I say We, I mean me and my workers. The signs were the official election signs. Like Vote Here. Not home-made. (Not that I have not made a few home-made signs in the past to say things like, "Go down to the first floor etc...)
www.fortworthview.com

#8 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

And the HVAC. 62 degrees all summer. 80 degrees all Winter. And nobody there knows how to adjust it. (computer controls) ... Of course these building should be 68 all winter and 78 all summer. In the library last summer, I would see workers with coats on when it was 100 outside.

From another point of view: The schools run the same sort of environmental systems schedule. I am a strong believer that students can't turn leaning off and on like a switch; they are learning all the time whether teachers and administrators like it or not. The thermostat set for 65 in the summer and 78 in the winter is teaching the wrong message, and these future energy consumers are going to be in for a rude shock when their first apartment electric bill comes due. I sometimes laugh when I see students in shorts on the (very) occasional snow day and wearing two shirts when it is 40 degrees C, but perhaps some ridicule needs to be pointed at the school establishment for encouraging this sort of behavior. Oh, and the costs too...

Are you considering running for school board?

#9 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:07 AM

And the HVAC. 62 degrees all summer. 80 degrees all Winter. And nobody there knows how to adjust it. (computer controls) ... Of course these building should be 68 all winter and 78 all summer. In the library last summer, I would see workers with coats on when it was 100 outside.

From another point of view: The schools run the same sort of environmental systems schedule. I am a strong believer that students can't turn leaning off and on like a switch; they are learning all the time whether teachers and administrators like it or not. The thermostat set for 65 in the summer and 78 in the winter is teaching the wrong message, and these future energy consumers are going to be in for a rude shock when their first apartment electric bill comes due. I sometimes laugh when I see students in shorts on the (very) occasional snow day and wearing two shirts when it is 40 degrees C, but perhaps some ridicule needs to be pointed at the school establishment for encouraging this sort of behavior. Oh, and the costs too...

Are you considering running for school board?

No. I am surely not qualified to be on a school Board. (There has never been a 54 year old with less exposure to children than myself. Have never had any. Have never even lived near any.) But I do want to get more involved with the spending of tax dollars which I do not believe is done well at all by my firsthand account. There seems to be a complete lack of common sense in many areas. Like... The Tarrant County Plaza Building as well as the Tarrant Co Courts buildings, have entrance doors that are glass and have a 2/3rds of an inch of space all around them. I have not figured out the math but can guess it is like have 10 big windows open every day of the year. You can feel the AC several feet from all the doors. Unacceptable. At a minimum they could attach some type of weather strips. When you walk up to a building with such foolishness you can only imaging that the people running the show are either not very smart or just don't care. Not doubt just the tip of the iceberg.
www.fortworthview.com

#10 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

Well, now you guys are talking about a subject I know lots about - building management and HVAC. I could write volumes about this here but I will spare you. Suffice it to say that unless somewhere in the management chain there is a person (not computer) that is proactive about monitoring and managing the performance of mechanical systems in every public owned building in the city, the mechanical systems are mostly left to their own devices. Without regular maintenance and without an in-house person that understands the computer controlled interface and how to optimize it and the mechanical systems for the right balance between comfort and energy consumption, you get what you're seeing in the buildings you mention.

Whether our city has someone or a team like this or not I do not know. I'm only speaking from personal experience...if someone in the management chain does not take "ownership" of the HVAC systems, the performance of these systems can degrade to the "FOF" or "Fix on Failure" type of management system. Most people would not neglect their cars and trucks to the extent many neglect their HVAC systems. I mean, both cars and HVAC systems are expected by most to run forever with little trouble or downtime, yet the motor vehicle most of the time is on a better maintenance and monitoring routine.

/RANT ON

What I keep seeing in many facets of our government, and what I'm tired of, is a consistent passing the buck. Problem is, too many bucks are being passed around (in more ways than one) but not enough within the chain to reach out and throw on the brakes. Why has accountability and ownership of one's duties become so disdained, like it's "uncool" to be a sober, responsible adult?

/RANT OFF :)

And the HVAC. 62 degrees all summer. 80 degrees all Winter. And nobody there knows how to adjust it. (computer controls) We are spending a fortune on the downtown library and the Tarrant Plaza building just in wasted energy. Of course these building should be 68 all winter and 78 all summer. In the library last summer, I would see workers with coats on when it was 100 outside.

#11 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

Thanks, that cleared it up for me, mostly. Who is the "they" that takes down signs and kicks you out? City? What dept?

I was (and have been for 4 years) the presiding election judge downtown. When I say We, I mean me and my workers. The signs were the official election signs. Like Vote Here. Not home-made. (Not that I have not made a few home-made signs in the past to say things like, "Go down to the first floor etc...)

#12 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:22 PM

Thanks, that cleared it up for me, mostly. Who is the "they" that takes down signs and kicks you out? City? What dept?

This week, at the Tarrant Co. Plaza building, after 20 minutes of one of my clerks taping up signs (like 20) the head maint. guy (Royce) brought them all back to our room with a "The boss man did not want these all over our walls. Sorry." response. I said, "I understand not allowing them on painted surfaces but we had them on marble columns and stuff.". Sorry, I had to take them down. As I don't want to get kicked out of this location too, I did not put up much of a fuss. Of course all day I had to hear the, " Y'all should have signs up there directing us to the basement."
www.fortworthview.com

#13 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

This week, at the Tarrant Co. Plaza building, after 20 minutes of one of my clerks taping up signs (like 20) the head maint. guy (Royce) brought them all back to our room with a "The boss man did not want these all over our walls. Sorry." response. I said, "I understand not allowing them on painted surfaces but we had them on marble columns and stuff.". Sorry, I had to take them down. As I don't want to get kicked out of this location too, I did not put up much of a fuss. Of course all day I had to hear the, " Y'all should have signs up there directing us to the basement."

Seriously??? This is bizarre. I wish I knew who the "boss man" is. Things like that should get "public servants" fired.

#14 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

Brian,

My wife served this week for the first time as an Election Judge over here on the other side of the world Coppell (Dallas County) Although I know voting places change based on the election, she said there were a large portion of mainly older folks who were at the wrong polling place.

She said one old guy says "Hey I am 82 years old, do you see me standing here and it is raining outside. I will be darn if I go to another place"
The wife tells him sorry that you will not be able to vote at this location.

And then the guy they caught with 3 ballots he was getting ready to enter into the machine. Busted and reported. I do appreciate all the workers.

Mike

#15 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:48 PM

I enjoyed voting downtown this year, everyone was very friendly and helpful, wish I had the time to hang out and chat with everybody. Very appreciative for those that take the time out of their busy schedule to volunteer at the polling locations.

I sometimes wonder if the shifting polling location shell game is a tactic at influencing votes one way or the other. I believe there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG with the process when you have honest Americans not allowed to cast their vote because they're at the wrong location.

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

Ft. Worth has the lowest voter turnout of any major city in the state if not the nation. Let's all be part of breaking this trend. #Vote #ShapeYourCity

(and then pester your friends, family, and neighbors to do the same!)

http://fortworthtexa...4/Early-Voting/

Yes, the fact that Fort Worth has the lowest voter turnout of any major city in the state is disgraceful.  The same small click of council members never changes.  It is disappointing that most citizens or people from the business community have decided to accept the status quo.

#17 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:05 PM

in our last mayoral election (2017), less than 8% of eligible voters cast a vote for mayor...

that's just impressively bad.

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

Absolutely embarrassing.

However, things may be about to change.  Tarrant County is now the County in the state that bell-weathers which way Texas swings.  Win or activate Tarrant County and a candidate can take Texas or make it a real dog race.

To prove the point, two major Presidential contenders have already made a stop in Tarrant County - Sen. Harris (CA) and Governor Hickenlooper, (CO).

This week Sen. Sanders (VT) is holding an outdoor rally in Burnet Park.

#19 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 04:56 PM

Some people, like the ones who maybe started this thread, already know this ;) - but for the rest of you - TCU is hosting a Mayoral Forum on Monday, April 29......

in our last mayoral election (2017), less than 8% of eligible voters cast a vote for mayor...that's just impressively bad.

Is there a local media outlet that could air Fort Worth Council Meetings?  For example, I am a regular listener of WRR 101 FM (Classical Music Station) and on  bi-Wednesdays, the Dallas City Council Meets, the broadcast of music is interrupted to air the DCCM.  I imagine that listening to the Council generates both interest and awareness of Municipal Government. This awareness is easily a driver in the turnout by voters in Dallas.

I think that it is great that TCU is hosting a Mayoral Forum, but I do wish that TCU radio would broadcast the Fort Worth Council Meetings.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:10 PM

You can watch live, or meetings previously held, at the City's website:

http://fortworthtexas.gov/fwtv/

#21 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:17 PM

Sure you are able to do that and you can do that at any of the surrounding cities. 

However, to listen to the Dallas City Council Meetings live as they happen while you are at your desk at work, driving, or doing things around your home is such a convenience.

The radio is probably unequaled in getting to the most people at the time that the debates are taking place.  Fort Worth could use Fort Worth Centered broadcasting outlet.  This is yet recognition that sharing everything with Dallas can be a disadvantage to the best interest of the City.

By the way, this is why the Fort Worth Forum is so vital to knowing what is going on in the City.

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:40 PM

I thought you probably knew the Council Meetings were broadcast online, but I also thought I would share that with others, in case they did not know.  Yes, radio probably gets to the most people when it is live, but for some, online is an alternative.

The forum is a good way to get the word out about what is happening in the city.

#23 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

"Arlington-based attorney Frank Hill, who is representing the contractor, said the contractor can only afford to keep 50 employees onsite as delaying design changes are a “continuing occurrence.”

I cannot believe that they are still doing design changes at this stage of the game.  What a debacle.

I cannot believe that Congresswoman Granger was reelected when at the time this debacle was widely aired to the public;  the management is still in place, and that the Mayor will win reelection in a breeze.

Businesses along White Settlement Road and even Left Bank are being negatively impacted by Bridgegate.

Who will be held responsible for is Fort Worth's most spectacular debacle?

#24 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 02:58 PM

I'm gonna guess the shape of Granger's district has something to do with it...

I'd suspect most in the district have very little knowledge of the project and it's "issues."

lossless-page1-1920px-Texas_US_Congressi

#25 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

True. There is absolutely no reason for her to represent Fort Worth, except that I believe that she still maintains her residence in Downtown.

Completely egregious!

#26 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 02:20 PM

Nice op-ed by TCU associate professor Dr. Emily M. Farris and honors student Hannah Vu:
Voter turnout: One way Fort Worth can keep beating Dallas

This semester, in our Introduction to American Politics Honors class at Texas Christian University, we have been examining what explains why people get involved in politics and how local, state, and national government works, as well as working on ways we can try to increase civic participation and knowledge in Fort Worth.

#27 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:15 PM

Been thinking about a possible explanation that may play into the low turnout seen for local voting and what the lack of density and the widely spreading out of the City does to civic participation.  In a state or national election, it is clear where you call home; but in Fort Worth is possible to live in the City without actually feeling connected to it.

The growth in population of the City has not occurred within what I consider the Inner Loop Core as much as it has occurred in the newly annexed outer regions. The new population is so distant from the Courthouse Core, likely work outside of the county, children likely attend non FWISD schools, retail shop in non-Fort Worth areas, etc. that it does not find itself frequently involved within the ILC.    Of course, this is unintended fallout when a City Hall perpetuates a regional laissez faire approach or an attitude of letting things take their own course without interfering when its Fort Worth v North Texas.

When new residents move to "Fort Worth" there is seldom a genuine connection with the ILC and there is more he sense that they are moving to a Bedroom Community within the Dallas Area.  For many, having that mindset lessen the their overall interest in Fort Worth mayoral and civic elections which can seem to be so distant from the everyday lives of these new residents.

To increase voter turnout, the ILC may have to experience higher levels of density; to create high skilled jobs; to attract more college educated residents; and maybe to redraw council districts and add more council members.

#28 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:13 AM

True. There is absolutely no reason for her to represent Fort Worth, except that I believe that she still maintains her residence in Downtown.

Completely egregious!

Representative Granger is supported heavily by the political gerrymandering the Texas Legislature is known for. Until that problem is fixed you will continue to get elected leaders disconnected from the needs and concern of constituents; but that is the way that investors of speech (aka money) into the political system like things...

#29 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 10:58 PM

Yes, you would think that if Denton County can have a Congressional District all to itself (99%), then Tarrant County could have a district to itself too.  

Placing the rural Parker County with urban Tarrant County really pits Fort Worth against Weatherford; and you wouldn't be surprised to know that the two counties really have little in common.

The reality is that the Republicans led by Tom DeLay really stuck it to Tarrant County; and Fort Worth specifically which may also play into it having the most dismal turnout in voting of any of the state's major cities.

#30 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:42 AM

Two days remain for Early Voting my friends.

The wife and I cast our ballots this weekend.

Have you?

#31 ACE

ACE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:59 AM

I haven't voted yet, because I wanted to see how the mayoral debate shook out. 

https://www.star-tel...e229807074.html

I went last night, and it was interesting. I had no idea who James McBride was going in, but now I want him in every debate just for the wild card factor. I was a little disappointed in Deborah Peoples who didn't really speak to a lot of the issues I was hoping to hear about, and Betsy Price had no big surprises. 

I'll be voting on election day, since it's much easier to get to that polling place than the early voting locations.

#32 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

I haven't voted yet, because I wanted to see how the mayoral debate shook out. 

https://www.star-tel...e229807074.html

I went last night, and it was interesting. I had no idea who James McBride was going in, but now I want him in every debate just for the wild card factor. I was a little disappointed in Deborah Peoples who didn't really speak to a lot of the issues I was hoping to hear about, and Betsy Price had no big surprises. 

I'll be voting on election day, since it's much easier to get to that polling place than the early voting locations.

Glad to hear you were able to make it. I too will admit that James McBride surprised me. 

While clearly nervous (heck, who wouldn't be) he did have some interesting items to bring up and had clearly thought through the items he cared about even if he struggled to clearly and concisely say everything he probably wanted to stay. I'll admit as a candidate with no political experience, no website, no web presence, no campaign money spent I had expected no content to come from him either.

It was nice to see the Mayor on the stage. I believe she had been a last minute cancel at two other earlier forums held elsewhere in the city.

I have my preference for each position, but lots more than mayor on the ballot. I'd like to hope that by the time election day comes and goes, the forum has a 100% participation rate.
Early voting totals is showing turnout thus-far hovering a hair over a pathetically small 3%  :frown:

#33 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, I heard on KRLD radio this morning that early voting turnout was only 2%.  I'm not surprised about the Fort Worth turnout.  I believe Mayor Price will be handily re-elected because she is popular.  And so most voters take her for granted and don't show up at the polls. Though I'm a Democrat I voted for Price because I believe she's done a reasonably good job.  And I also believe the mayoralty should be a non-political party office  I know a major issue concerning both mayoralty and water board races is TRV.  Evidently that issue hasn't spurred early voter turnout.  School board elections are concerning, of course, to parents of children, and they should go to the polls.

I'm cynical about this election, but wait until 2020 for the big turnout if it's a referendum on the current incumbent in the nation's highest office.  .

#34 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:58 PM

I'm not really a big fan of the way People's has run her campaign. I also expect Betsy to landslide this.

I've heard this will likely be her last term to run. That would make the next election really interesting.

#35 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

Early voting totals is showing turnout thus-far hovering a hair over a pathetically small 3%  :frown:

I'm not really a big fan of the way People's has run her campaign. I also expect Betsy to landslide this.....

No, this is not a landslide; more accurately this is an avalanche of apathy as pointed out by TBV.

#36 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:37 PM

This is my first Fort Worth municipal election. Two years ago, I had just moved to Fort Worth proper, and wasn't able to change my address before election day.

Some forum members may not be very happy with me, but I voted for Price. Although I'm not super happy with the job she's done, I feel as though we're better off with Price as mayor than we would be with Peoples as mayor.

Peoples complains about residential properties carrying more tax burden than commercial properties, which I completely agree needs to be reversed. But, she blames the problem on tax incentives and opposes using them. In reality, our problem is a lack of high-value commercial properties in this city. We're already doing a bad enough job attracting companies; we don't need to make ourselves even less attractive by refusing to offer incentives. The unfortunate reality is, there are some companies who will not relocate to a new city without incentives. And, we were able to keep American Airlines from leaving by offering them incentives. Tax incentives are a necessary evil.

Also, Peoples is opposed to Panther Island becoming a vibrant urban neighborhood; she only supports the flood control portion. Although I'm not happy about the bridge fiasco (which is why I voted CB Team and Moates instead of the TRVA incumbents), I very much want Panther Island to become reality (which is why I didn't vote for Kelleher).

-Dylan

#37 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:51 PM

....Some forum members may not be very happy with me, but I voted for Price....

You have the right to vote for whomever you want to.  It is called freedom.

#38 ACE

ACE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:11 PM

Props to Austin for saying in one sentence what would take me several. Very succinct and well put.

As for the other positions, specifically the TRVA I will probably be voting like Dylan. Partly because Jim Lane puts me off, and Marty {last_name} gave a bunch of weird answers on vote411 that gave me the impression that shes not serious at all about much really. I still want a panther island, but I want it to be real and good.

Still undecided on the FWISD board, but when I vote on the 4th, I'll have done some reading on the candidates, since I think our schools are one of the things keeping good businesses away.

#39 ACE

ACE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:20 PM

Oh and txbornviking were you at the forum? If I had known I'd have stopped by to introduce myself and say hi! Then we could have heckled the candidates.

#40 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

My last pitch,

If you didn't make it to Early Voting, please, Please, PLEASE take the time to vote tomorrow!

#ShapeYourCity

#41 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:23 PM

Some forum members may not be very happy with me, but I voted for Price. Although I'm not super happy with the job she's done, I feel as though we're better off with Price as mayor than we would be with Peoples as mayor.

I think you're onto something here. I give the mayor a lot of grief and I feel like she's underachieved, but I wouldn't fault anyone for giving her the nod over Peoples. I said in another thread that a serious challenger to a popular long time incumbent would have to hit the ground early, hard, and fast and not getting out there earlier probably didn't do Peoples any favors. The next mayoral election will be very interesting.

#42 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:15 PM

I'm trying to find any statements made in the Forum that personally faulted anyone for the way that they vote.  I can't find one; maybe y'all can.

#43 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:57 PM

Why?

#44 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

Why?

Why?..because I read nearly 98% of the posts made in the Forum and it is possible that I missed something.  In a situation like that, I believe that it is important to question anyone who might criticize a member for exercising their right to vote the way that they feel.

#45 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

Okay. Did I miss someone accusing someone else of criticizing them for their voting decision?

#46 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:28 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  One thing that is fairly consistent here on The Forum is the high level of civility and respect given to the opinions expressed here. :)

#47 roverone

roverone

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Interests:Modern Architecture, City Issues

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

renamerusk -- as I have followed along this thread I didn't get the impression that anything was targeted at you.  There was probably just the general feeling that the incumbent mayor was not the favorite, and so expressing support was opening to criticism.  I didn't feel it was directed toward you.  I think we are all reasonably smart folks here and we we take in what is out there about the candidates combined with what we hope to see, and we vote as best we can.  That is all that the system asks of us and I think everyone is making the best choices that they can.  This group no doubt has a better than average voting turnout, which is great.

There are a lot of reasons on why to support one candidate or another.  I always try to consider not only what the candidate says they want to do, but also their experience and understanding of what it takes to actually accomplish it.  And their ability to listen and refine their preconceived notions.

I think anybody, even people I really don't like, deserve some praise for being willing to step up to be a candidate, take a lot of criticism, and try to do what they believe in.

#48 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:23 PM

I did not have the impression that anything was being targeted at me.

If it is because I replied to a comment and I quote - "Some forum members may not be very happy with me, but I voted for Price..." , then the replies made in posts #37 & #44 should have laid to rest any concerns of the commentator in that regard. 

I believe that we all must quickly set any concerns from anyone who feels that what he or she says may generate unhappiness should be assured that isn't the case; and so I did and hope that the commentator takes that assurance at heart.

#49 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:33 PM

......I've heard this will likely be her last term to run. That would make the next election really interesting.

...... The next mayoral election will be very interesting.

I'm wondering in what way will the next mayoral election be "very" or "really"  interesting?

#50 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

If Mayor Price indeed does not run, the lack of an incumbent will make the election interesting by itself.  Who will run - someone on the council, well-known and connected, a political newcomer?  Hopefully there's focus on increasing development in and strengthening the urban core, pushing money to expand transit options, maybe even putting the infrastructure in place for passenger service at Meacham can be part of the discussion :smwink:, hopefully the TRV mess is on the road to being straightened out by then.  The lack of an incumbent puts more of the focus on what the new mayor can do going forward versus what he/she has done in the past (not saying that a non-incumbent's past isn't important).  No incumbent also has a tendency to expand the field - see FW when Mayor Price was elected or Dallas this year.  That can be good and bad, but interesting nonetheless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users