3 replies to this topic

#1 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

I picked up an older 1943 Fort Worth map by J. Foster Ashburn whose address was listed as 402 Flatiron Building at the time. It is one of at least two fairly dissimilar 1943 maps he did for the Chamber of Commerce that year. The cover was in decent shape. It shows from about the T & P Station up past the new City Hall & Library. Much of what was left of Hell's Half Acre is shown. I thought you might find it interesting although the web image is not very high res.

IPB Image

© Copyright 2007 Electric Books

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

This is a great old photograph. Thanks for sharing it with us.

#3 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

Here's a cover aerial from a 1939-1940 pre-WWII J. Foster Ashburn map that gives a different perspective of the CBD. I think it must be from the east with the Hotel Texas prominent in the foreground. Interestingly enough, very few of the Ashburn maps that I have seem to feature Courthouse photographs on the cover. This is in contrast to most of the other City map producers of this period.

Ashburn's address at this time was; "Moore Building, Room 507". This is the only Ashburn map that I have that does not show the "Bomber Plant" or the AAF base where Carswell is now.

Does anyone have an earlier Ashburn Fort Worth map than one of this period?

IPB Image

From this same map is this blowup of the CBD area....

IPB Image

All images ©2007 Electric Books Collection

Ashburn apparently started his maps in the 1930's and the last ones that I have seen were in the 1980's. While he listed office addresses of convenience in several cities, the main office was always in Fort Worth. I collect Ashburn maps and publish some of them as large format reproductions. I would appreciate any biographical details that anyone may have about him and his company.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#4 M C Toyer

M C Toyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(djold1 @ Jul 8 2007, 10:44 AM) View Post

Ashburn apparently started his maps in the 1930's and the last ones that I have seen were in the 1980's. While he listed office addresses of convenience in several cities, the main office was always in Fort Worth. I collect Ashburn maps and publish some of them as large format reproductions. I would appreciate any biographical details that anyone may have about him and his company.

Pete -

I looked into John Foster Ashburn (1901-1978) a while back. He is buried in Rose Hill Cemetery.

There was an article w/ photo in the Dallas Morning News in July 1951 and a couple of other mentions.

I'll check my files for other info.

M C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users