6 replies to this topic

#1 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

In commemoration of the completion of the first Transcontinental Railroad in 1869 and to celebrate the importance passenger and rail service, National Train Day will be celebrated across the United States and in Fort Worth and Dallas. The golden spike ceremony occurred on May 10th, 1869 but will events this year will occur on Saturday, May 9th to avoid conflicting with Mother's Day. Hey, here's an idea - take your mother to National Train Day.

Events at the Fort Worth Intermodal Transportation Center
8th and Jones Street in downtown Fort Worth - both inside and on the platform where you get a rare chance to see operating railroad equipment up close.

The North Texas Historic Transportation will have the NTT interurban at the Fort Worth Intermodal Station open for touring and information on the proposed City of Fort Worth Streetcar Circulator.

The Fort Worth T will have a set up and you can ask questions about their upcoming SW2NE commuter service from Southwest Fort Worth to DFW Airport.

Amtrak will have one of their Heartland Flyer coaches and locomotive on display for the public to view. Amtrak will also hold a drawing for free round-trip tickets on the Texas Eagle and Heartland Flyer service. One of Amtrak's Station Hosts will be available to answer questions on long distance train travel.

BNSF Railway will exhibit one of their new generation low-emission locomotives as they "go green" in the future and will have representatives on hand to answer your questions on modern freight railroading.

Union Pacific will have two locomotives for viewing. One is a rare "Heritage" unit and the other is a new low-emission Genset locomotive that helps clear the air in North Texas. The heritage unit is a modern locomotive featuring a historic paint scheme from one of UP's predecessor railroads.

The North Texas Council of Governments will have a representative to answer questions about Rail North Texas, the plan for commuter rail service for our region.

The Trinity Railway Express will have a representative to answer questions about the commuter rail line.

Operation Lifesaver will have information on how to stay safe around railroad crossings and trains.

Musical entertainment from noon to 4pm provided by country artist Stevin Marsh. Bubbles the clown will entertain the kids.

Volunteers on hand to answer your questions about rail travel.

Food and refreshments for purchase will be available inside and outside the station.

Proceeds of sales of National Train Day T-Shirts and Railroad Whistles from Texas Rail Advocates goes to benefit their non-profit support of passenger and freight rail development.

Plenty of trains to watch at the Fort Worth station with the Trinity Railway Express and Amtrak's daily Texas Eagle and Heartland Flyer services operating.

Hope to see you Saturday. I'm on the interurban car.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#2 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

From a photographic standpoint, the light today was not ideal, and the engines were jammed together, making any perspective except head on uninspiring. Nevertheless, here's BNSF's No. 7547:

Bruce Burton

#3 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:26 PM

Here's the other three behemoths in the Train Day lineup:

Bruce Burton

#4 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:48 AM

Nice job. But you forgot the Interurban sitting next to the station. wink.gif

That Katy Heritage Unit is a real looker.

I think we had nice turnout. I will have to wait until I get to work tomorrow to download my photos since I left my cable at the office.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#5 FoUTASportscaster

FoUTASportscaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE (AndyN @ May 11 2009, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That Katy Heritage Unit is a real looker.

I was about to say the same thing.

#6 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (AndyN @ May 11 2009, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice job. But you forgot the Interurban sitting next to the station. wink.gif

Ahh, the perfect prompt: smile.gif

Bruce Burton

#7 AndyN