• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fragile

fragile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

I'm looking for good images of the 1938 Library and, well, the few postcards and books I have aren't very helpful. All the details are murky! Would anyone know of links or publications, or have any info on finding these?

As a side note: I've never seen interior photos of this library and, unfortuantely, never had the opportunity to see the inside before the 1991 demolition...I'd be curious about this aspect as well!

Thank you for taking the time to read this... smile.gif

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:09 PM

Welcome to the forum. You might try checking out The Jack White Collection of Historic Fort Worth Photos, University of Texas at Arlington located in another section of this web site. I know that there are some postcards and photos of the building on the exterior. Jack has not provided me any interior shots at this time.

#3 fragile

fragile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Mar 2 2006, 07:09 PM) View Post

Welcome to the forum. You might try checking out The Jack White Collection of Historic Fort Worth Photos, University of Texas at Arlington located in another section of this web site. I know that there are some postcards and photos of the building on the exterior. Jack has not provided me any interior shots at this time.

Thank you, and a very nice forum it is. I've been appreciating it for some time now but never posted.

I did go through Mr. White's images, and although the Stryker one was beautiful, it isn't quite what I was looking for: I'm getting started on drawing ex-buildings in Fort Worth and was looking for some of the details since they're so lacking in these that have been published.

Thank you again. I'll keep looking!

....That Hurley Building was a nice find though - I'll add that one to the list!

#4 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:30 PM

The book "Cowtown Moderne" has three or four interior photos of the building, as well as a nice exterior photo and a floorplan sketch. I'd recommend checking that out via the library.

--

Kara B.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:33 PM

Atomic, I had forgotten all about the book and I have a signed copy!

#6 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Mar 2 2006, 09:33 PM) View Post

Atomic, I had forgotten all about the book and I have a signed copy!

I just checked it out from the library - I'd never seen it before. It's fantastic! Highly recommended to all the forum members who haven't read it yet.

--

Kara B.

#7 fragile

fragile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Mar 2 2006, 09:30 PM) View Post

The book "Cowtown Moderne" has three or four interior photos of the building, as well as a nice exterior photo and a floorplan sketch. I'd recommend checking that out via the library.

Oh wow, thanks for the recommendation! I haven't looked through that book in so long, I've completely forgotten a lot of the details. I'm nowhere near a Fort Worth library, unfortunately, and my library here is sorely lacking in the history department. I suppose I'll be shelling out the bucks for a special order, if found! laugh.gif

#8 fragile

fragile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

Ouch!!! $200.00 for a used copy. sad.gif

Okay, this one would be nice if they could give us a reprinting.

If anyone is willing to scan the particular pages I'm needing, I'd really like to work out a trade if possible. I've got a few early Fort Worth postcards I'd be willing to sacrifice for this!

#9 fwpcman

fwpcman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Postcard Collecting, Fort Worth History

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

How about a 1962 aerial from W.D. Smith?IPB Image

#10 fragile

fragile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:05 PM

Wow, great shot - hey, I can see the original federal building across from St Patrick's!

Just a little too small for what I'm needing! laugh.gif Thank you for sharing this though.

#11 fwpcman

fwpcman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Postcard Collecting, Fort Worth History

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:25 AM

I can do bigger.

IPB Image

#12 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:26 AM

eek.gif WOW. To think we destroyed that GORGEOUS Post Office/Federal Building for our current city hall, how disgusting. I've got a picture of it from a book about Fort Worth:

IPB Image

Sorry to kind of get us off topic.

#13 fragile

fragile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Mar 4 2006, 10:26 AM) View Post

eek.gif WOW. To think we destroyed that GORGEOUS Post Office/Federal Building for our current city hall, how disgusting. I've got a picture of it from a book about Fort Worth:

Sorry to kind of get us off topic.

Agreed - demolitions like that make the angels weep! I'm still incredibly uncomfortable with that flat city hall. (Like I'm sure they would have asked my opinion of it before construction - ha!)

That federal building is a favorite topic of mine to begin with so I'm all for the threadjacking - I must have gathered about a dozen postcards of it, but the best one is a view from the back of the building when they opened the addition to it. I can get that posted out here a little later.

fwpcman, you win! laugh.gif I'm liking that Smith shot better and better! The library sits at a really nice angle in it. Thanks for biggie sizing it!

#14 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 12:09 PM

OT--And you can see the Landmark Tower with the Clock!!! Cool!

Mary Bess :0)

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:33 PM

Another interesting thing to note about the construction of City Hall, it completely obliterated the grid of streets in the area. 11th Street used to run along the north side of St. Patrick's, thereby putting the Lone Star Gas Building on axis with it. Texas didn't curve into 13th, either. It ended at Jennings. Also, note the wide alley on axis with St. Ignatius.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users