#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

Since the steak thread was so popular and this was suggested, I thought I would ask all of you what you think is the best Mexican Food in Fort Worth. So, which restaurant has the best Mexican Food?

#2 Hambone

Hambone

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (John T Roberts @ Jan 3 2008, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since the steak thread was so popular and this was suggested, I thought I would ask all of you what you think is the best Mexican Food in Fort Worth. So, which restaurant has the best Mexican Food?

My favorite is El Asadero on N. Main. Great enchiladas verdes and salsa that will light your tongue on fire if you aren't careful.

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:37 PM

I'll give a nod to a few different places:

Benito's on Magnolia
La Familia
Joe T. Garcia's (I know that's kinda cliche, but it's the first place I would take an out-of-towner for Mexican food.)

If you include taquerias under this umbrella:

Ernesto's on Hemphill
Melis on Vickery

#4 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

A NEW ONE!

Used to be El Asadero's (got over their chips and salsa), but while driving about a little bit further on the Northside...
ACAPULCO'S on 25th St. Got the rooster nextdoor in the frontyard and everything.

Best beans and rice in town, rest is just gravy. Like their Shrimp Enchiladas with a ranchero sauce. Shrimp coctel is plentiful. Chips are mediocre (purchased), but their salsa is just right. And they have a few plasmas in their bar area for football or futbol.

I still like El Asadero's for the Enchiladas verdes and carne guisada. The son who works there is nice to speak with too. Much different crowd in both places.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:07 PM

La Familia, Vallarta on Seminary Drive, and El Asadero are probably my top three (not in any order). I haven't tried Acapulco's, so I will have to get up there.

#6 TexasPacific52

TexasPacific52

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Railroad fan, Boyscouts, Photography and some backyard birdwatching

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

My Tops:
1. The Original, on Camp Bowie
2. La Playa, I always go to the one on Hemphill
3. Pulidos, off of Vickery

I dislike:
Joe T's, Mi Cocina & Uncle Julios because they're to touristy (is that a word, lol)

I just cant do the true Mexican food places some of you are mentioning. To me the food is just to bland or greasy.

#7 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

Caro's on Bluebonnet Traffic Circle. Soft puff tostotas and kick-ass strong hand made Margaritas. Not a can opener on the premise.

#8 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

Mexican food, my weakness! The usual suspects are mentioned already, and I can't disagree with any of them. I could pick favorites for a dozen categories, but if I had to vote for just one, I'd have to say La Familia because that is where we usually end up going for mexican. There are fancier places, many that I like, but I always end up back at La Familia. It is the crystal meth of tex-mex for me.

If I ever go to La Familia and the line is out the door (Far too common lately... they've way outgrown their space. Again), I usually go to Gloria's at Montgomery Plaza. A little less personal and more chain-ish, but the food (though not tex-mex) and service is good. I really like the Magnolia area, and when the fancier places are full, I'll walk down to Benito's. It is average tex-mex... which often suits me fine.

For breakfast, I like Esperanza's (the north one) or Yogi's on Hulen. Both serve excellent tex-mex breakfast. Yogi's was a real find several years back, but now it is hard to get a table at the typical times. They should drop the bagels and focus on what they do best. And if you want to get fancy for breakfast, come downtown to Cantina Laredo. I'm not overly excited about them for lunch and dinner, but their weekend brunch was awesome. Great chilaquiles and a bloody mary included.

My original childhood favorite mexican food was Pulido's. The one on Cooper in Arlington was near where we lived. It sat next to the Showdown saloon and had a cool center area where the staff made drinks. It became a pawn shop which I assume it still is. Haven't been by there in years. Great food, though not the best. I loved that place as a kid, and it remains my measuring stick for tex-mex. As in "La Familia is 1.3 Pulido's", "El Fenix is 1.0 Pulido's", "Benito's is 0.9 Pulido's" and so on.

I'm always looking for hole in the wall mexican food so please share!

#9 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (bhudson @ Jan 4 2008, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm always looking for hole in the wall mexican food so please share!

Mi Cocinita is located in a South Side neighborhood (3509 Bryan Ave) and you walk down the driveway to get to the backyard cafe which is located in the garage. Open only Wed - Fri for lunch.

#10 Redshirt

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I am and always will be a Texas resident. I was born and raised in Fort Worth. Currently, I am in the Air Force working on the CV-22 Osprey, supporting the Fort Worth economy by working on those Bell heliplanes. :) I am currently stationed at Hurlburt Field home of the Air Force Special Operations Command.

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

I'm a fan of Mercado Juarez myself, Northside Drive.

#11 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

1. La Playa
2. La Familia
3. El Asadero

I love the veggie enchiladas at Oscar's in Haltom City too.

#12 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:05 PM

El Asadero - primarily because they have the best salsa, EVER. Spicy, yet not hot just for the sake of hot. It also has great flavor, while being mouth-scorching hot. Fort Worth has so many good-to-great Mexican restaurants, IMO, the restaurants' homemade salsa is the only distinguishing factor.

#13 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 4 2008, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
El Asadero - primarily because they have the best salsa, EVER. Spicy, yet not hot just for the sake of hot. It also has great flavor, while being mouth-scorching hot. Fort Worth has so many good-to-great Mexican restaurants, IMO, the restaurants' homemade salsa is the only distinguishing factor.

While I agree that salsa is very important, I also think good tortillas are up there on the list. I LOVE most everything at La Familia, and it's very close to our house, but they use store-bought tortillas. How lame is that? That one thing usually forces us to Joe T's or Uncle Julio's.

One more favorite of mine is Los Molcajetes, up North on Beach and Western Center. Good stuff there, and they have the best sopapillas ever which they serve with a warm caramel sauce.

#14 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

For breakfast that would be Dos Molinas in the Northside.
As for Molcajetes,I'd rather go to Mexican Inn.
An honorable mention would have to go to Los Vaqueros in the SY.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#15 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

oh no... i cant believe there is any debate about this. The only answer is Benito's.

#16 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

Actually, my pick for the SY's area is the tiny lil hole in the wall, LAZO'S near the top of WExchange. They stay open til 3or 4am on Fri./Sat. and they have EXCELLENT rice and beans and THE BEST MENUDO in ALL OF NORTH TEXAS. Just like my Dad makes back home. cry.gif

Hopefully with all this cold bone chilling weather, they will start making some Caldo de Res (Nortena style).YUmmmm.

Agree about the likes of La Familia's and others who use store bought flour tortillas. And their rice is SUSPECT, borderline Uncle Ben's. Always great seein Al though (only reason for me to eat there). My Grandmother would slap me on the face 4 times with her homemade tortillas if I EVER brought her to those kinds of places. Homemade tortillas, rice and beans are the HOLY TRINITY of GREAT MEXICAN COOKING. More lard the BETTER! It baffles me just how these succesful mexican eateries who obviously make a ton of money a year on "certain kinds" of customers, just REFUSE to invest in a tortilla lady or a machine. Heck, that lil Monterey Mercado place down on S.Main or Hemphill makes about 200 dozen flour tortillas A DAY! They could easily just drive over there and purchase them soft, warm and ready to roll about 3 times a week. Makes no sense???
www.iheartfw.com

#17 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:31 PM

LaFamilia - Spicey!
Orginal on Camp Bowie
Pulido's on Vickery is top 3

Joe T's only in the Spring/Summer for the atmosphere and drinks. Food C-

#18 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

Fort Worth is loaded with decent-but-not-great Tex-Mex places, most of which have been listed in this thread already. Mi Charrito in Wedgwood is pretty decent but nothing exceptional. Pulido's on Benbrook Highway is worth mention alongside its sister location just off Vickery. I've been to El Asadero and found it to be unexceptional in just about every way.

I hate to say it, but Mia's in Dallas would rule FW's world for Tex-Mex. Think Mi Cocina without all the frou-frou. That's Mia's.

Also: Joe T.'s food should never be eaten by humans. It is wretched. I seriously don't understand why we do that to our tourists and wonder why they don't come back.

#19 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:27 AM

OK - Austin is supposed to be a competitor, but:

The Original rocks...
Joe T's also rocks...
El Rancho works the chips...
La Playa makes the ranks...

Fort Worth mexican food excels...

#20 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:43 AM

Between the lines I read that "Mexican Food" is way too broad a topic. There is a huge variety within the genre and there will be no end to debate.

I happen to like La Playa Maya (Hemphill) and also Acapulco for the great sea food. But then is Fuzzy's spicy pork burrito Mexican? Well of course not, but if it wasn't for Mexican influence on our cooking we wouldn't have that on the plate.

Mi Cocina seems to stretch things into new combinations of creativity, riffing off the Mexican roots but not fearful of bringing in stuff from the rest of the world. So what is Mexican food? It goes way beyond the enchiladas and beans, there is a varied culture to be explored.

#21 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:01 AM

Good points.

Real Mexican. Not afraid and never apologetic for using lard or bacon rendering. Homemade fresh flour tortillas DAILY. Fry their own tostada chips. Make fresh salsa from boil to mixer to cool down and then serve. Pinto beans, refried or a la charra. An abundance of sauces or salsas to choose. Tamales homemade and only during the holidays (at least pork). Makes a bistek plate, NOT RIB-EYE. Has no less than 3 soup varieties on menu. Guac made fresh and served with all those pico de gallo fixins a lado. Homemade white corn tortillas, THICK. Rice should have a fluffy and puffy look to it (pre-soaked), then well browned to golden and include carrots, peas, corn and onions with a hint of tomato sauce, garlic, salt and chicken stock. Mole verde and original to choose from. Gorditas should be a nice griddled (2 mins) thick corn tortilla set in fryer for 45 seconds then cut open from the side and filled with REAL picadillo (spicy con papas y cebolla), shredded lettuce, tomato diced, shredded cheese and sour cream dallop. Include hongos plates with huevos and salsas ALL DAY. Fajitas should not be the centerpiece attraction or what the place is known for. And it should have several off menu dishes to serve as a SPECIAL on a daily basis.

Brisket tacos, ehhhh???

AMEN.
www.iheartfw.com

#22 navyman

navyman
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:54 AM

Not as good as it once was but Dos Molinas should be up there. Im supried no one has mentioned it yet. Its near the stockyards on 25th st if Im remembering correctly. Everyone on this forum seems to think El Asadero is one of the best. Not saying its not good but if you dont mind traveling more into the neighborhood you can find alot of other good places to eat

Dont be scared of all the thugs they dont bite. smilewink.gif

#23 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (dustin @ Jan 4 2008, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh no... i cant believe there is any debate about this. The only answer is Benito's.

? Please. Been there once and thought they put way too much cheese on everything - which is basically Americanized Mexican food. Not impressed at all.

#24 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:22 PM

Taqueria San Luis

Taqueria San Luis
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#25 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

off 8th?. Been wantin to try their tortas (lengua or beef fajita) and their pastor variety.
www.iheartfw.com

#26 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:27 PM

I've been to two of their locations, but I frequent the one on 8th ave. and Arlington.

The Tacos al Pastor are tremendous; they don't have lengua... does anybody know a place to get great lengua tacos? Does Meli's do lengua?

The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#27 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

I think Melis has lengua, but I can't remember for certain. I'm almost positive that Ernesto's has it. How is that for a definitive answer? smilewinkgrin.gif

#28 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (navyman @ Jan 6 2008, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not as good as it once was but Dos Molinas should be up there. Im supried no one has mentioned it yet. Its near the stockyards on 25th st if Im remembering correctly. Everyone on this forum seems to think El Asadero is one of the best. Not saying its not good but if you dont mind traveling more into the neighborhood you can find alot of other good places to eat

Check post #14.Dos Molinas off 25th is awesome.Thugs?What thugs?They're just Tejanos! rotflmao.gif
Hernandez down 25th has good menudo and barbacoa for after long nights in the Stockyards.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#29 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:37 AM

The three I frequent are La Familia, Joe T.'s, and Fuzzy's. I also enjoy Benito's, and just looooooooooove the roasted corn soup at Cabo Grande.

--

Kara B.

#30 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 6 2008, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

? Please. Been there once and thought they put way too much cheese on everything - which is basically Americanized Mexican food. Not impressed at all.

Try their Ceviche or their fajitas. I would also argue that they make the best margaritas in town. Finally, their guacamole is why my wife and I try to go there at least once a week. Benitos is like mexican soul food, the way mexican food should be.

#31 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

I'm somehow comforted by the fact that Rio Mambo has not been mentioned.

#32 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:02 PM

I am probably going to be beaten for this but I have to go with the chains...

1. Gloria's
2. Cantina Laredo
3. Uncle Julio's
4. On the Border

OTB has the best chips I have ever eaten. The best salsa I have ever had was at Frijoles in Las Colinas (since torn down)... it was served steaming. blush.gif

#33 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:28 PM

gloria's is good, but isnt that El Salvadorian food?

#34 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (dustin @ Jan 7 2008, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gloria's is good, but isnt that El Salvadorian food?

a
I think it is a mix. I was there Saturday and had chips & salsa, chicken enchiladas w/ refried beans and rice and a swirl. Seemed Tex-Mex to me.

#35 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (cbellomy @ Jan 4 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fort Worth is loaded with decent-but-not-great Tex-Mex places, most of which have been listed in this thread already. Mi Charrito in Wedgwood is pretty decent but nothing exceptional. Pulido's on Benbrook Highway is worth mention alongside its sister location just off Vickery. I've been to El Asadero and found it to be unexceptional in just about every way.

I hate to say it, but Mia's in Dallas would rule FW's world for Tex-Mex. Think Mi Cocina without all the frou-frou. That's Mia's.

Also: Joe T.'s food should never be eaten by humans. It is wretched. I seriously don't understand why we do that to our tourists and wonder why they don't come back.

Mia's? I'm not fond of Mia's or Mi Cocina. The older I get, the more I favor Thai over Tex-Mex.

#36 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (texastrill @ Jan 7 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (navyman @ Jan 6 2008, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check post #14.Dos Molinas off 25th is awesome.Thugs?What thugs?They're just Tejanos! rotflmao.gif
Hernandez down 25th has good menudo and barbacoa for after long nights in the Stockyards.

I hope their boxing star of a relative does not get word of this, but HERNANDEZ'S menudo is disappointing. Especially when you see how packed BOTH of their places are after hours on weekends. Los LAZOS on West Exchange OWNS them on the menudo tip. Hernandez's barbacoa is so so, too much fat left in the process and some pieces are served BURNT for some reason(?), also lacks some laurel (bay leaf) and I believe their tortillas are NOT homemade.

Good asada, pappas rancheras and chicharrones a la mexicana though.
www.iheartfw.com

#37 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

I agree with those of you who prefer homemade tortillas. I wish all the places I like had them, but many don't. It doesn't make the experience better or worse for me. I just use them to sop up my plate until it looks like a clean one.

Conversely, Rosa's has homemade (sort of) tortillas. I do not see their name mentioned anywhere in this thread.

As an aside, isn't it interesting that fresh and store bought taste completely different? Why is it impossible to have a store-bought tortilla that tastes right? It must be the preservatives that completely change the flavor...

#38 James Armstrong

James Armstrong

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing... Genealogy and preserving old forgotten cemeteries.

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

I have only been to El Asadero five times but it's my new favorite place to eat Mexican Food. That's where my family ate Christmas dinner.
Friends Don't Let Friends Eat At Chain Restaurants.

#39 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (cjyoung @ Jan 7 2008, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mia's? I'm not fond of Mia's or Mi Cocina.

Mia's is greatness because, if you're on a budget, you can order the two beef burritos for lunch with the sauce of your choice (mine: sunset) for CHEAP and know at the end that you've had a great Tex-Mex meal. Plus, their hot sauce is da shizzle.

The older I get, the more I favor Thai over Tex-Mex.

I think that thread's two doors down on your left. wink.gif

#40 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (bhudson @ Jan 7 2008, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with those of you who prefer homemade tortillas. I wish all the places I like had them, but many don't. It doesn't make the experience better or worse for me. I just use them to sop up my plate until it looks like a clean one.

Conversely, Rosa's has homemade (sort of) tortillas. I do not see their name mentioned anywhere in this thread.

As an aside, isn't it interesting that fresh and store bought taste completely different? Why is it impossible to have a store-bought tortilla that tastes right? It must be the preservatives that completely change the flavor...

The difference is (drum roll please)........

LARD!

The BEST store bought tortillas I have EVER had were from a WAL-MART in NW SA. Because they make them there.

9 to a pack though.

I hope for GOD'S sake that when the football recruiting trip season comes around at TCU, them boys are taken to a LA Familias or Benito's. NOT T's up north. Anywhere but there.
www.iheartfw.com

#41 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (bhudson @ Jan 7 2008, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like Safly said, some of the stores are making them in-house now. Central Market has very good ones.

I will admit that I get Rosa's from time to time. Their beef burrito dinner (3 burritos, rice, beans) is tough to beat for $4.99. They actually do a very good job with the beef...it has a good mixture of onions and potatoes in it, and like you say the tortillas are good there. We generally only get Rosa's to go, since their chips and salsa aren't good. It's a nice quick fix though.

#42 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:17 AM

"LARD!"

Lard is also what makes the best pastry!

#43 pallen

pallen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:20 AM

One thing you rarely see are places that make their own corn tortillas. Fiesta on Hemphil and Mexican Inn have amazing corn tortillas. Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about the rest of the food at Mexican Inn.

I've had some good food at Los Vaqueros, and Oscar's in Haltom City is greatness.

#44 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

Los Vaqueros was good before they moved into their new location. I remember going there when I was a little kid every time we came to town. It felt authentic. Now it just reminds me of a giant Don Pablos.

The best thing about Mexican Inn is the chips.

#45 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

"The best thing about Mexican Inn is the chips."

Yes, I find myself stuffing myself on their hot, homemade soft tortillas smothered in butter and add a little salted.....um!

#46 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Storm Photography<br />Storm Chasing<br />EMS<br />and<br />I love great architecture

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

Benito's, Benito's and more Benito's!!! rolleyes.gif

The hot tortilla soup topped of with the cheese quesadillas, The cheese at that place is unbelievable, the best I have ever had!!

Every single person I have ever introduced to Benito's, continues to go there on a constant basis.

Maybe a forum get together some time at Benito's!?
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#47 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

Everyone knows: Benito's is where the cool kids go for the best Mexican food.

I assume everyone here is cool.

Therefore, everyone here goes to Benito's for the best Mexican food.

Q.E.D.

#48 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

I haven't been to too many places in the metroplex that serve Mexican food. Most serve Tex-Mex. closedeyes.gif I did go to a Mexican grocery store/panaderia/restaurant in Garland last week with one of my employees and sample something I think was called a papusa? Turns out it was from Guatemala or Central America, not Mexico. Wherever it was from it was VERY good. Even the salsa verde served with it was great, and I am not a fan of salsa verde.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#49 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (dustin @ Jan 8 2008, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone knows: Benito's is where the cool kids go for the best Mexican food.

I assume everyone here is cool.

Therefore, everyone here goes to Benito's for the best Mexican food.

Q.E.D.

But all the COOL CATS go to Acapulco's. Yeah buddy.

Meow.

Props to Benito's GUAC, hands down THE BEST in town for restaurants that CURRENTLY exist. Their Caldo de Pollo is a big hit for many of friends, simple and very homey with the big chicken leg serving. Chips need improving and the tortillas need to be REAL. Cheese is good come to think of it. And that flameada is a one of a kind here in FW, not too many places still do that. Maybe Tres Jose's does it, been a long long time. But Benito's brings it "Guanajuato" style. And that's a good thing IMO.
www.iheartfw.com

#50 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (AndyN @ Jan 8 2008, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't been to too many places in the metroplex that serve Mexican food. Most serve Tex-Mex. closedeyes.gif I did go to a Mexican grocery store/panaderia/restaurant in Garland last week with one of my employees and sample something I think was called a papusa? Turns out it was from Guatemala or Central America, not Mexico. Wherever it was from it was VERY good. Even the salsa verde served with it was great, and I am not a fan of salsa verde.

A Pupusa is El Salvadorena. TC's tries to do it or tried. What was in your filling?

A far away place that is WORTH the commute is La Finca's out in Allen. Heard about it from a friend who is a great source for excellent Mexcian eateries in N.Texas , H-town and Austin. Excellent chicken flautas and guac. They make their own flour tortillas. The beans were heavenly and so creamy soft. (Don't know how they do it?LARD or Bacon Grease?)

He came through with that suggestion.
www.iheartfw.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users