10 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

A new proposal, coming from the general fund sales tax instead of CCPD funds, is being disscused.

http://amp.star-tele...impression=true

#2 txbornviking

txbornviking

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

My favorite quote from this:
"Moon and Councilman Brian Byrd are on the agenda to talk about a proposed ballot referendum on transit funding.

Byrd said Monday he was unaware of that..."

Yea, this doesn't seem a half-baked idea at all. I think we can all agree improved funding for FWTA is important. We can debate the merits of the T Master Plan, but it seems Moon may be trying to "wing it" presently.

Maybe I'm just overly skeptical based on his previous "no-shows" for transit debates. As with anything, the devil will be in the details... next Tuesday is the latest the council could propose adding this to the May ballot.

#3 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:46 PM

Does the state allow one-cent "general fund" sales taxes to be diverted to services like transit?

I'm not aware of a city that has less than one full cent going towards their general fund. If it's possible, that's great news.

- Dylan

#4 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:55 PM

Does the state allow one-cent "general fund" sales taxes to be diverted to services like transit?

I'm not aware of a city that has less than one full cent going towards their general fund. If it's possible, that's great news.

I don't think the State law allows the City to tell the State to send any of the first 1% to anything but itself, but there is nothing in the State law telling the City what it can and can not do with it. It's the second 1% where the City can ask the State to dedicate and send sales tax revenues to another government agency, like a transit authority, hospital district, or police fund. State law limits what that second 1% can go, but the first 1% can go anywhere.

While the City might find it easier to send some of its first 1% to FWTA, the City can just as easily take it back at any time on the political winds of the moment putting FWTA in a financial crunch if they had already spent money, or sold bonds, to support transit expansion with future expected revenues that aren't coming. This solution only works if FWTA remains on a cash only basis, and nevers borrows money from banks or sell bonds to speculators to raise cash now. Without the ability to borrow money or sell bonds, whatever FWTA will build will be relatively small in scope or delayed until it can save up the funds over many years to build a more expensive project.

The State already has implemented a better solution for transit agencies where the money can't be easily taken from them, a portion or all of that second 1% sales taxes dedicated and sent directly to them without the City touching it. 

Basically, this new City solution to grant more revenues to FWTA means it will never ever be completely independent from the city politics and under the rule of the city council. Maybe that is a good idea, maybe it is a bad idea. What do you think?

#5 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

I'd rather take the quarter cent from the CCPD fund, but an election to do that would probably fail. I've already seen and heard comments along the lines of: "they want to take money from something that fights crime and give it to something that increases crime."

I'm a bit confused by what Cary Moon wants. Originally, he wanted an election for $1.2 billion of rail expansion. Now he wants an election for a quarter-cent sales tax (which would dramatically improve bus service and commuter rail schedules), but from a source that can't go directly towards a transit agency.

- Dylan

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

I'm sitting at the T board meeting and it starts in 5 mins so maybe we'll know more shortly !

#7 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

I'm a bit confused by what Cary Moon wants.

He wants this to go away so quickly that no one figures out that he's trying to make it go away.

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

Reporting back from the meeting, Electricron pretty much nailed everything. There's no need for a referundum since the city already has the money and is spending it, Moon basically just wants a vote to help decide if the public wants them to spend the money that way.

Everyone (Moon and FWTA Board) assured everyone that the CCPD was not going to be touched.

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

NBC ran a story on the topic

https://www.nbcdfw.c...impression=true

#10 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:39 PM

Are all board meetings open to the public? Looks like I should've gone.

I'm thinking about doing a news package on this if it's placed on the ballot.

- Dylan

#11 txbornviking

txbornviking

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:00 AM

Are all board meetings open to the public? Looks like I should've gone.

I'm thinking about doing a news package on this if it's placed on the ballot.

In my experience all board meetings are open to the public, unless they are in "executive session" which is a rare occurrence. Video of the meeting is also posted online typically within a few days of the meeting if you care to watch that.

For everyone reading this, if you care about funding for FWTA, or even how that funding is derived, PLEASE email your council-member and the mayor this weekend to let them know your thoughts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users