#1 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:28 AM

Having gone back to school, I have practically no time to devote to photos. But that doesn't mean I can't multitask smilewink.gif . Just a few shots from a recent football game and night out downtown.

(Sorry for the blur on some of them, I didn't have a tripod)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Also, I have a question. Does any one know why my photos look pixely? I can't figure out if it's my screen resolution, editing software, photo host, or camera, although I doubt it's the camera because it's a pretty nice digital SLR. I'm so frustrated that after spending a hefty amount on a nice camera I still can't get the pictures to be nice and smooth when posted on the internet. I've seen smooth pics from the same camera on the internet before, so I know it's possible. Can anyone help me out here?

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:41 AM

Very nice photos.

They don't look "pixely" (if I'm understanding what you mean) to me and I'm using a crappy 6+ year old VGA monitor.

#3 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

Top notch and they look clear to me. Must be the monitor you was using

#4 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:15 PM

They don't look pixely to me.

#5 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:architectural illustration, concept design, environmental graphics

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:31 PM

I don't notice any pixelization either, but....if you're saving to a format that gives you the option of anti-aliasing (such as TIF), always select that. Anti-aliasing sorta 'visually' blends pixels at hard-edge condistions to give a smooth appearance...maybe that's what you're noticing? (ragged edges where the bright lights meet the dark sky???)

If you're seeing a sort of 'stepped' gradient in colors instead of smooth blend of colors, that could possibly be becasue your monitor's color gamut is narrower than your camera or editing software (not likely with CRT, but quite possible with LCD). You could test that by printing the images - if the problem doesn't manifest in the prints, it's your monitor.

#6 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:36 AM

Johnny,

I came accross this thread and had another thought for you...it could have something to do with shutter speed. Maybe yopu're referring to a certain graininess that's especially apparent in the sky? If that's the case, try putting the camera on a tripod, drop the aperture and increase the exposure. I kinda got out of photography about the time digital went mainstream, but understanding is that with digital cameras if you have very little light coming throught lens (ie night shots) with a ver short exposure (ie no tripod to hold the camera still for a time) you'll end up with grainy images due to the electronic gizmos having to 'interpolate' some of the image.

It's kinda the same as using hi-speed film - you sacrifice crispness and smoothness in order to capture little light in a short time period.

#7 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 04 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

Hm, maybe it's just me being picky and perfectionist-ic. I'm not really talking about the grainyness in the sky (although I see your point, fwillustrator, and I'll definately try some of that next chance i get!), just very....well, pixely edges (you know how if you zoom in on a slanted line in paint, it's really just a bunch of rectangles lined up diagonally? that's what I mean by "pixely".) I bet it's probably just me, but I can't help but think that they could still look nicer. Does anyone on here have Photoshop?

#8 FWillustrator

FWillustrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Oct 4 2006, 09:51 PM) View Post
Does anyone on here have Photoshop?

Yeah, I do...one other thing: If your camera has several options for file formats, and you want the most crispness you can get, don't choose JPG. JPG is good for small images on the web, but crappy for archiving and will collect 'digital artifacts' due to it's compression method. Always choose a lossless file format like TIF or RAW.

Addendum to this post: if you are uploading images to web, DO use JPG. This is perfectly sufficient for online view. Afterall the most resolution anyone will be able to get out of them is 72dpi (unless you intend for people to rip off your photos and print them for themselves).

#9 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:13 AM

Just a side thought.

72 dpi is dots per inch used on a printer
72 ppi is pixels per inch used on a monitor

Acually they are nearly the same thing dpi/ppi

And yes I too have Photoshop CS2 and frequently use Adobe's Camera Raw Converter to convert from our RAW .CR2 to Tif's.

Also it helps if you resize your images to about 600 or 700 pixels wide and about 50 to 60kb for use in the forum. Keeps from having to scroll to the right to see the whole photo.

The photo's above are a good width too.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#10 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

I do like driving over the Cherry street exit off of East I-30 near sunset. There were a few buildings nearby that I was sure wanting to get on the roof of. Let me get my story ready, "Yes sir, I am a Fort Worth Fire inspector and need to get on your roof for 30 minutes, and don't pay attention to this photo gear."

www.fortworthview.com

#11 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

My walk from BobZupcic's town house at the Palisades to my home at the Tower. Dusk.

The grand Blackstone looking kind of puny. (Cropped to grainy, but what I wanted.)

www.fortworthview.com

#12 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

Took a walk this evening on the near West side of Downtown. (Mostly around the Chesapeake Building and 6th street.) Was a pretty night.
When I was on 6th a guy stopped his car and started coming toward me. I was a bit scared. (Not as much for my safety as for my 15K in photo gear on me.) Pretty quickly he said, "He, do you post pictures on the Fort Worth Forum?" I then realized he was not about to steel my gear. (Bad guys don't usually hang around on architectural forums.)
He said his name was Stephen and he does not post much but enjoys the forum. He asked me who I am. I told him monee9696 as he would not likely know who Brian Luenser was. Sure enough, he was familiar with my pics. Nice guy sure enough.

And now, the photos...

I sure think I could live in these apartments.

www.fortworthview.com

#13 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:13 AM

I don't have a favorite color, which is sometimes a source of frustration for my sweet daughters. But when I look at this last set of pictures, I think my favorite color just might be blue. I love the many shades of it in that set.

#14 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

It was good to meet you last night. As nerdy as it might sound to my kids I get excited when I'm out driving, enjoying the beauty of our city on a fantastic evening and I come across someone doing the exact same thing. Excellent pictures as always!
-Stephen (a.k.a. surpluspopulation)

#15 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:04 AM

Brian, I've never been a fan of the FW skyline, but you make it really look good. You take awesome pictures!!! The last one with the Firestone Apts, The Tower, and church is just beautiful. Excellent work.

#16 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

Beautiful photos, Brian! Your photos show downtown Fort Worth at its night-time best. Thanks for sharing.

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

Those are some wonderful pics. I took a few yesterday myself.

(click on them for full sized versions)
My blog: Doohickie

#18 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (John S. @ Jan 25 2010, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beautiful photos, Brian! Your photos show downtown Fort Worth at its night-time best. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you and Vjackson and Surplus for your kind comments. Fort Worth may or may not be the prettiest city at night. But is the only major city in the world I would walk around in the dark with lots of expensive gear taking pictures. I am grateful.
www.fortworthview.com

#19 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:49 AM

I agree with Brian, we may not have the prettiest nightime skyline, but were proud of it. It is the people who make Fort Worth a great city.

#20 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

I am new to DSLR photography. Owning a SLR camera has been a long held latent desire for years...only this year realized by purchasing an entry level DSLR.

This past Friday my brother (also a shutterbug) and I went to the porch of the ACM and I got my first go at night photography with a DSLR. Here's the result:

This next shot I really like the cloud formations over downtown:

Wandered over to the FWMSH next and got some shots of the new "lantern" feature of the building:

I love the orange glow of the bricks and the actual lantern itself:

I still have a long way to go in learning DSLR, but just one night out with a tripod and camera...I'm hooked!!

#21 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Art Cooler @ Apr 6 2010, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am new to DSLR photography. Owning a SLR camera has been a long held latent desire for years...only this year realized by purchasing an entry level DSLR.
I still have a long way to go in learning DSLR, but just one night out with a tripod and camera...I'm hooked!!

Great shots Art! I think you've joined that weird group of people that roam the night with a tripod and remote release. Have fun and keep them coming!

#22 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Brian Luenser @ Jan 26 2010, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you and Vjackson and Surplus for your kind comments. Fort Worth may or may not be the prettiest city at night. But is the only major city in the world I would walk around in the dark with lots of expensive gear taking pictures. I am grateful.

QUOTE (Cowtown Mike @ Jan 27 2010, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Brian, we may not have the prettiest nightime skyline, but were proud of it. It is the people who make Fort Worth a great city.

I have the skyline tattooed across my arm. I love my city. biggrin.gif
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#23 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:22 AM

From the 3700 block of West 5th Street in Fort Worth. In the middle of a residential neighborhood. Shot with my 400 5.6L. I could live in a house if it had a second or third story with this view. However in my world, a huge tree across the street would cover my view after torturing me for years as it got bigger and bigger. Sunday I was taking photos of a friend's house in this "Near West side" Neighborhood. I do love that whole area Northwest of 7th and University.

www.fortworthview.com

#24 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

We were in the cultural district over Memorial Day weekend and got a few night shots of our CD icons:

Amon Carter Museum east portico:

Kimbell Art Museum south porch:

Sculpture, Kimbell lawn:

Fort Worth Museum of Science and History:

Kimbell south porch and approaching aliens?

#25 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:46 PM

Shot off of my balcony as my wife was watching the Packers.
They are sure enough working late hours on the 5 Guys Burgers restaurant. (Walked by there and there were like workers on the sidewalk taking a smoke break.)

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users