Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

DT: Omni Fort Worth Hotel (447 FT/33 ST/2008)

Downtown Hotels New Construction Skyscrapers

• Please log in to reply
536 replies to this topic

#151 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

I have edited this thread.

#152 CurtisD

CurtisD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE(Sam Stone @ Mar 20 2007, 10:11 AM) View Post

I'll take the credit as the first member of the Forum to refer to what I called a "Freudian fixation on height" on the part of some posters. My phrasing is just subtler than Jonny's.

I find it so amusing that people on this forum who love and admire the tall skylines of other cities are made out to have some sort of problem because they find FW lacking in that aspect. For most American cities its skyscrapers and skyline are a testament to that city's economic prosperity, progressiveness, and vision. The skyline can be a person's first and sometimes only impression of a city, making a city instantly recognizable to people who have never been there. As a kid, when we went to other cities, I was amazed by the engineering feat of puting up something not only 50, 60, 70 stories tall, but strikingly beautiful also. Something FW still hasn't been able to to do. I remember when FW starting putting up the few skyscrapers it has now, and being disappointed when they were completed. That doesn't mean I have some sort of phallic fixation or loathe the city of FW. I think the quickness to attack people who admire the skyscraper and impressive and beautiful skylines is simply insecurity on the part of some FWorthians. My admiration for the skyscraper is no different than my admiration of planes or battle ships (other than the fact my wife thinks it's childish). smile.gif

#153 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:26 AM

I don't think anyone here has downplayed the significance or role of skyscrapers. I think the point often stated here is that not having a downtown full of 50 - 80 story buildings is also just fine.

For me, a lot of skyscrapers (but not all) are like a Ford Excursion, the A380, or a porterhouse steak. Their greatest attribute is size, which is really only a virtue to people who are impressed by size. Look at the John Hancock and Sears towers. They're just big. And that's great, but it's not enough to get me excited. I much prefer to spend time in Lincoln Park.

Skyscrapers are wonderful. I still think the Chrysler building is one of my favorite buildings of all time. But I'd rather have a downtown that feels like the village than Wall Street.

#154 jmilam

jmilam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:03 AM

[/quote]
As a kid, when we went to other cities, I was amazed by the engineering feat of puting up something not only 50, 60, 70 stories tall, but strikingly beautiful also. Something FW still hasn't been able to to do.
[/quote]

You probably meant to say, "hasn't done"? and not "hasn't been able to do"? I don't think there is a lack of money, or ability in Fort Worth. I don't think anyone would build a 70 story skyscraper just because it looks great. There would have to be economic reasons for the building, and if so, it could be built.

I agree with the previous post that size really doesn't matter to me either, but the quality and overall fit into the area are more important to me personally...

#155 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

I've said several times that a well evolved city has a combination of both pedestrian appeal and beautiful highrise buildings. I think they both play a part in a modern city...see Seattle. And I don't think a skyscraper has to be necessarily that tall. FW has built skyscrapers and it's not the height I dislike about them, it's the design...or lack of. They're so awful I think FW's skyline was more attractive without them....but that's MY opionon.

But CurtisD, just curious, and to steer the thread back on track, what do you think of the Omni??

#156 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(Jonnyrules23 @ Mar 20 2007, 07:39 AM) View Post

Hey now, I wasn't the first person on here to refer to such a thing...and if my history teacher can say it referring to medieval churches, I figured "why not?" Thanks, though, for making it awkwardly obvious. newlaugh.gif

So I guess if your "teacher" told you to jump off the 7th St. Bridge you would oblige? huh.gif

Actually that was a trick Q there. Because you could actually SAFeLY jump off of the 7th Street Bridge and land on a patch of grass along the rolling slope onto the bike trails.

HISTory teacher? What kind of school are you attending? What kind of curriculum? FREESTYLE!

That "Medeival Churches Comparison" comment from your teacher seems very oh how should I say, "To Catch a Predator" like.

I'll be watching DATELINE NBC when they come visit Cowtown. rotflmao.gif

agree with the previous post that size really doesn't matter to me either, but the quality and overall fit into the area are more important to me personally...

Ok, when are we getting back on track with the original thread here. dry.gif wink.gif

BTW, love the OMNI design and height for now, just wish that the nearby "WORLD'S TALLEST GRAHAM CRACKER" was non-existent ... and for a NUMBER of reasons.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#157 CurtisD

CurtisD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Mar 21 2007, 09:18 AM) View Post

But CurtisD, just curious, and to steer the thread back on track, what do you think of the Omni??

As someone else said in regard to FW's "building boom", which would hardly be a blip on the radar in Atlanta or Dallas but is a true "boom" for FW, I feel much the same way about the Omni. It wouldn't be anything special in many cities but in FW, IMO, it's the best tall modern building ever built in the city. I like the use of different materials on the exterior and the pedestrian friendly base will add some much needed density around the convention center (another ill-concieved design). I would have like to have seen something topped of with a point or spire that would have added a focal point to FW's big-box skyline, and I'm not crazy about that "chimney" poking out of the top of the hotel, but all in all it's good. And I thank god David what's his name didn't get his hands on it. I give it a thumbs up. smile.gif

#158 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(CurtisD @ Mar 22 2007, 06:13 AM) View Post

QUOTE(vjackson @ Mar 21 2007, 09:18 AM) View Post

I like the use of different materials on the exterior and the pedestrian friendly base will add some much needed density around the convention center (another ill-concieved design). I would have like to have seen something topped of with a point or spire that would have added a focal point to FW's big-box skyline, and I'm not crazy about that "chimney" poking out of the top of the hotel, but all in all it's good. And I thank god David what's his name didn't get his hands on it. I give it a thumbs up. smile.gif

Interestingly, I never cared much for the convention center redesign either. I think I said once it reminded me of a giant surburban high school. I too think it will be more enjoyable once the hotel is done.

#159 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:18 AM

I've always thought the new Convention Center looked fantastic. I see our tastes part company yet again, eh vjackson? smile.gif

--

Kara B.

#160 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Mar 22 2007, 12:18 PM) View Post

I've always thought the new Convention Center looked fantastic. I see our tastes part company yet again, eh vjackson? smile.gif

As always. It's funny, I loved the CC design when the renderings were released, but once it was completed it looked very long and rambling. I think I will like it more once the hotel (which I really like btw) goes in across the street. The density the hotel will add will make it seem less "middle of nowhereish" and more inviting. And I thought we were agreeing on more things lately. smile.gif

#161 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Mar 22 2007, 02:05 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Mar 22 2007, 12:18 PM) View Post

As always. It's funny, I loved the CC design when the renderings were released, but once it was completed it looked very long and rambling. I think I will like it more once the hotel (which I really like btw) goes in across the street. The density the hotel will add will make it seem less "middle of nowhereish" and more inviting. And I thought we were agreeing on more things lately. smile.gif

An increase in density will definitely help that area. On this, we agree. smile.gif It's amazing to look at pre-Convention Center shots of south downtown and see how dense it was back then. Hopefully, it will start to get some of that back. There are way too many barbed-wire-encircled parking lots in south downtown.

--

Kara B.

#162 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

The new arena in the Cultural District will help south Downtown density, too. My understanding is that once they build that, they will tear down the CC arena and replace it with exhibit space. The new exhibit space would also make up for the removal of the eastern wing of the buiding that juts out and bends Commerce St. Once that's removed and Commerce is straightened, it opens up about three valuable and crucial blocks that don't really exist right now. The problem is the CD arena is probably a good 5 years away. Add in the time it will take to demo and rebuild those parts of the CC and realign the road and it could be 10 years.

#163 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

You guys just don't go searching for old threads! There is a thread created just to discuss the design of the finished Phases I & II of the Fort Worth Convention Center. Please go here to post your opinions of the building: http://www.fortworth...php?showtopic=8

#164 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

Who wants more renderings? smile.gif

Great new detailed rendering of the Omni's east side:
IPB Image

Omni Sports Bar:
IPB Image

Bob's Steakhouse:
IPB Image

Resident's lobby:
IPB Image

Omni Wine Bar:
IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#165 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:50 PM

I've finally uploaded some new construction shots on the first page of this thread. I think it is also time to put them here in this part of the order.

These are the latest that I have taken:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have also learned that the building has increased in height again. This time I have a reference elevation of 547'-4". Since this is a reference elevation, this concerns me. My original information on the height of the completed building may be 100 feet greater than what is actually constructed. The reason this could be the case is that I don't know what elevation the 547'-4" is taken from. Usually, architect and engineers assign the "Ground Floor" level at the main entrance of a building to an reference elevation of 100'-0". Each level is numbered higher or lower than that point. In other words, a basement level 12 feet below the main level of a building would be referenced with an elevation of 88'-0", and a second level that is 16 feet above the main level would be 116'-0". The only way that we will know what the final height will be is when it is close to topping out, we will be able to see if the hotel is about 100 feet shorter than the D.R. Horton Tower. 100' is great enough that we will notice the difference on the skyline. If it appears nearly equal in height then we know the original height was correct. If the building appears shorter than D.R. Horton, then we will know it has been actually shortened. The dimensions on the DDRB presentation clearly called out the height at 498'-6".

Atomic Glee, I reposted your last thread on the Dallasmetropolis Forum. I hope that is OK with you.

#166 Redshirt

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I am and always will be a Texas resident. I was born and raised in Fort Worth. Currently, I am in the Air Force working on the CV-22 Osprey, supporting the Fort Worth economy by working on those Bell heliplanes. :) I am currently stationed at Hurlburt Field home of the Air Force Special Operations Command.

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Oct 22 2006, 02:52 AM) View Post

Construction is also supposed to start in November on the 11 story parking garage between the hotel and the SBC/AT&T Building.

Has the construction started yet on the municipal parking garage. According to the fortworthgov.org site it was supposed to start at the end of March. Just curious.

#167 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:55 AM

Construction has not started on the parking garage. It appears the contractors of the hotel are using part of the site for storage of materials. I don't know how much longer that will last.

#168 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:12 AM

I like the design of the garage - especially how one side mirrors the old City Hall's black columns. Hope it gets underway soon.

As for the Omni - hope the height thing doesn't turn out to be 100 feet *below* D.R. Horton. That seems like something somebody connected with the project would have mentioned by now.

Also, does anybody else find the usage of late '50s/early '60s "Jumble-'O-Crap" style bricks in the interior just a bid odd? It's a weird look for the interior of such a nice modern-looking building.

--

Kara B.

#169 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:32 AM

Kevin, that is why I'm having so many problems with getting the actual height of the Omni Hotel. The information that I receive is only partial. The "friends" that I have that are connected to the hotel won't give any straight answers. Finally, others that I don't know that are connected are giving information that can't be confirmed. About the only way that anyone is going to eventually find out about the height will be to see the actual construction drawings. The only problem with these is that some slight adjustments in height may be made during the course of construction. Granted, these should only be a few inches, but it still could make a difference in the building's rankings within the city.

#170 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

Why are they so secretive on the height?

#171 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:09 PM

John, if we know with certainty that this structure will have 34 stories, is it really likely that it could be 100' shorter than a nearby 38 story tower? Is it feasible to build such a structure with ~13' stories?

#172 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(cbellomy @ Apr 10 2007, 02:09 PM) View Post

John, if we know with certainty that this structure will have 34 stories, is it really likely that it could be 100' shorter than a nearby 38 story tower? Is it feasible to build such a structure with ~13' stories?

agree... if you have 13' stories then that makes for some floors with extremely low ceilings "vegas style... 8 foot or less" when it comes to floor with standard guest rooms by the time you account for the higher ceilings on the first few floors, condos and penthouses. I really dont see Omni constructing a new hotel with ceilings that low on some floors. I have to think that your first height was pretty accurate.

#173 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

I went back and looked at the design drawings and at that time, the floor to floor height in the hotel portion of the building was 10'-0" and in the condo portion it was 12'-6". Low floor to floor heights compared to office buildings are very typical in condominium and hotel construction. The lobby and meeting room levels typically have higher floor to floor heights. I also took a look at the number of floors on the building at that time and there were 34 occupied levels and 4 mechanical levels on top of the building. It appears that the number of floors has remained the same.

With all of that being said, I do think that my first height was the accurate number and the building has only grown taller during final design, construction document phase, and during construction. I mentioned the possible height issues early so that no one would be surprised if the final height was radically different from what we first thought. At 547'-4", the building will be the second tallest in the city.

#174 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:29 PM

Ya know what peeps? I think I give up on the "height speculation". I throw in the towel. I'm tired of wondering. lol
I'm just going to accept that we should just be satisfied that downtown is gonna FINALLY have a new addition to the skyline. Besides (give or take several feet) who cares if it's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd tallest? In our downtown, all our tallests "kinda" look about the same size anyways. I wont get excited about "height" again until we get a proposed 'scraper that will actually be noticably taller from all angles. Something 700'ft or more anyways. cool.gif

#175 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Apr 10 2007, 07:12 AM) View Post

I like the design of the garage - especially how one side mirrors the old City Hall's black columns. Hope it gets underway soon.

As for the Omni - hope the height thing doesn't turn out to be 100 feet *below* D.R. Horton. That seems like something somebody connected with the project would have mentioned by now.

Also, does anybody else find the usage of late '50s/early '60s "Jumble-'O-Crap" style bricks in the interior just a bid odd? It's a weird look for the interior of such a nice modern-looking building.

BRICK VENEER?
www.iheartfw.com

#176 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:09 AM

I totally agree - those interior renderings are horrible. It looks like something out of the Brady Bunch; very 70-ish. Seems as if they're trying for a Western/Texas theme, but something modern would be far, far better, IMO.

Are those "wagon wheel" lights in the dining room? We had one of those in our family room in 1972.

The same type of thing was recently done at the Fort Worth Club. They spent tons of money remodeling and "updating," and it still looks like something straight out of the 60's. Is there some way to keep a Texas theme without looking seriously outdated?

#177 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE(hooked @ Apr 11 2007, 08:09 AM) View Post

I totally agree - those interior renderings are horrible. It looks like something out of the Brady Bunch; very 70-ish. Seems as if they're trying for a Western/Texas theme, but something modern would be far, far better, IMO.

It looks like an old ski lodge. It's horrible. Hopefully these are just sketches, and the interior decorators will go a different direction by the time they start picking out furnishings.

#178 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:55 AM

The same type of thing was recently done at the Fort Worth Club. They spent tons of money remodeling and "updating," and it still looks like something straight out of the 60's. Is there some way to keep a Texas theme without looking seriously outdated?

I completely disagree. I think the club did a great job on the renovation, especially the bar. The new card room is great, the formal dining area is great. The Grille is the only piece of the renovation I wasn't happy with. It's ok, but to me it looks a whole lot like the old Grille. I do like the way they took the stained glass out of the old card room and incorporated it into the Grille. I like the continunity, but that one room is still a little disappointing. Overall the renovation is an enormous improvement.

#179 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Apr 11 2007, 08:52 AM) View Post

It looks like an old ski lodge. It's horrible. Hopefully these are just sketches, and the interior decorators will go a different direction by the time they start picking out furnishings.

I actually think it's a good start. The lobby has a nice mid-century feel (don't you guys know the 60's and 70's are back? smile.gif )with some modern touches, keeping the Western look as well. Not a fan of the colored glass in the restaurant, the wine bar is generic, and there are some other things that aren't great either, but they'll have a year to work on refining the look.

#180 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(hannerhan @ Apr 11 2007, 10:39 AM) View Post

I actually think it's a good start. The lobby has a nice mid-century feel (don't you guys know the 60's and 70's are back? smile.gif )

I sincerely hope that's a joke, because there have been enough '60s and '70s comebacks for my taste. Wake me when the '30s and '40s styles come back, because then *I'll* be in fashion for a change. smile.gif

with some modern touches, keeping the Western look as well. Not a fan of the colored glass in the restaurant, the wine bar is generic, and there are some other things that aren't great either, but they'll have a year to work on refining the look.

Funny, the wine bar was the one thing I thought looked pretty good. I thought the sports bar was the most generic looking one.

--

Kara B.

#181 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(vjackson @ Apr 11 2007, 08:52 AM) View Post

ski lodge? i guess it'll blend in with that year-round ski park that's proposed for north fort worth. sleep.gif

#182 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Apr 11 2007, 12:26 PM) View Post

QUOTE(hannerhan @ Apr 11 2007, 10:39 AM) View Post

I actually think it's a good start. The lobby has a nice mid-century feel (don't you guys know the 60's and 70's are back? smile.gif )

I sincerely hope that's a joke, because there have been enough '60s and '70s comebacks for my taste. Wake me when the '30s and '40s styles come back, because then *I'll* be in fashion for a change. smile.gif

with some modern touches, keeping the Western look as well. Not a fan of the colored glass in the restaurant, the wine bar is generic, and there are some other things that aren't great either, but they'll have a year to work on refining the look.

Funny, the wine bar was the one thing I thought looked pretty good. I thought the sports bar was the most generic looking one.

Yeah you're right, the sports bar is pretty generic on further inspection, and the wine bar looks better than I previously thought. I do agree with you that they could put more 30's deco touches in the wine bar and then I think it would be cool. I still like the residents lobby though...but like I said, hopefully they take the next year to refine everything.

#183 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:31 AM

seriously... I am disappointed with the members of this board who are typically in some way in a field related to architecture...

Dont you guys know that the whole mid century look is now the new modern. KEEP UP. smile.gif

In reality, the final product could end up looking like anything. Like in most things I doubt those renderings will be representative of the final product.

Remember when So7 was going to be a quaint little Spanish style urban village!?!

#184 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:43 AM

I was hoping that the OMNI was bringing something more in the vein of the FAR EAST or NYC metro. I don't know why these local hotels throw sooo much money down on redos that represent an outsiders view of FW and COWTOWN (Here we GO AGAIN). I was hoping one would "nut it up" and represent a culture that is far far away, one that is missing, and one that is much needed. Continuity only makes the FWDTDesign Review Board ultra happy. tongue.gif

Now for the product: The continuity of the interior is totally against the grain with the exterior. Except for the ultra chic wine bar.

Sidenote: I hope the 60's are not back in, I like my civil rights THANK YOU MUCH! cool.gif smile.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#185 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:43 PM

that does drive me nuts when the interior design does not match the exterior design.

#186 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Apr 11 2007, 08:55 AM) View Post

I completely disagree. I think the club did a great job on the renovation, especially the bar. The new card room is great, the formal dining area is great. The Grille is the only piece of the renovation I wasn't happy with. It's ok, but to me it looks a whole lot like the old Grille. I do like the way they took the stained glass out of the old card room and incorporated it into the Grille. I like the continunity, but that one room is still a little disappointing. Overall the renovation is an enormous improvement.

I suppose the FW Club felt like they had to stick with the traditional furnishings, and you're right, pretty much anything would have been an improvement. The real update was in the kitchen; I'm looking forward to eating a meal at the Chef's Table.

But back on topic, I sincerely hope that the renderings for the interior of the Omni get scratched. Somebody seriously has to go back to the drawing board. Fort Worth will never shed the redneck cowboy image if all our hotel interiors look like Miss Kitty's bar on Gunsmoke.

#187 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(Bernd @ Jan 28 2007, 11:15 PM) View Post

I'm glad it's only going to be second tallest... I'd rather not see downtown get much taller than it is now.

Just for spite im going to build the next Fort Worth tower at 2000 feet. tongue.gif

#188 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:46 PM

DANG NID!

You really had to dig in the ARCHIVES for that comment.

JANUARY!
www.iheartfw.com

#189 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

Good news - the Omni has at last started to rise above the construction fence.

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#190 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

I will try to get by this week for a construction update.

#191 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:44 AM

Take a look at the web cam.Why are there two big holes on the east and s.eastside off the construction?
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#192 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

I'm guessing it has something to do with the ramps from one level to another. Maybe they put those in last?

#193 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

Will someone DT do me a favor and go slap the webcam straight?I'm looking at Lancaster.Anybody else?

#194 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(texastrill @ May 18 2007, 09:25 AM) View Post

Will someone DT do me a favor and go slap the webcam straight?I'm looking at Lancaster.Anybody else?

There's definitely something or someone messing with it - it's spinning all over the place. I've just gone from a view of the Omni to Lancaster & Henderson to a wide-angle Medical District shot to a lovely closeup of the concrete atop Burnett Plaza.

--

Kara B.

#195 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:36 AM

Fixed.Thank you!

#196 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:35 AM

Omni Cam
Cowboys Stadium Cam
FW Skyline Cam
FWD Airport tongue.gif Cam
Trinity Terrace Cam
All on here... http://www.wxnation....allasfortworth/

Very cool site and it originates from right here in Fort Worth! wub.gif

#197 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(texastrill @ May 18 2007, 09:36 AM) View Post

Fixed.Thank you!

This web is a lot more fun to look at than the Radio Shack construction web cam. I can see workers moving. Flags waving and cars on the go! tongue.gif

The one big sad thing about this is. That it looks like the bright colorful look inside St Patricks as the sun shine hits the stain glass are numbered. conf.gif

#198 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:25 PM

I've been thinking about getting a webcam for my place to share with the rail squirrels to show all the trains that go by. I looked at the Omni's host site and I think I'll stop thinking about that.

Live Video with remote navigation ability.

Purchase - $2895.00 + monthly hosting starting at $285/month. Installation extra.
Lease - Lease the system for short term projects with a refundable security deposit.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#199 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

Where is the new garage going? Close to SBC Building or on the same lot as the construction fencing?

#200 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(Thurman52 @ May 20 2007, 01:06 PM) View Post

Where is the new garage going? Close to SBC Building or on the same lot as the construction fencing?

The new garage will replace the parking lot between the AT&T Building and the Omni site.

--

Kara B.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Hotels, New Construction, Skyscrapers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users