Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE(grow_smart @ Feb 12 2006, 09:53 PM) View Post

QUOTE(JKC @ Feb 11 2006, 09:00 PM) View Post

It is convenient! I notice the occupants of BP walking out every day to ride a convenient bus into DT for lunch. DT Dallas is just a convenient helicopter ride away, it's all relative.

If people can't walk from BP to Sundance for lunch, then there is no way you'd ever get those people on transit...

Heh. I walk from Burnett Plaza into downtown for lunch nearly every day. It's no problem to make it into Sundance Square from BP by foot.

--

Kara B.

#52 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:52 PM

SAY WHAT?

And pass up that good "Q" over at...? what's that place?

BAILEY'S! biggrin.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#53 G. O. Todd

G. O. Todd
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:32 AM

To me, BP is a confusing structure. (OK. Lots of people have said I'm easily confused.)

Nonetheless, I think BP was a building that fell short of its potential to be a terrific landmark for the city, given its position on the western fringe of the CBD and its scale. I was hoping for a true statement structure . . . something compelling.

I guess I was looking for some sort of a memorable, new-age, symbolic, "Statue-of-Liberty" structure that would beckon to those on the horizons of West Texas. Perhaps the original Republic Bank Tower in Dallas did that back in the 1950s, with its revolving beacon.

I think what we got in BP was a big-but-confusing building. To me, the finished structure appears to be two completely unrelated towers. Viewed from the east, BP appears to successfully relate to the other Burnet Park tower. Viewed from the west, BP appears to
be totally unrelated.

Somehow, this dual-purpose design doesn't work for me because that takes away the building's ability to create a single, strong visual statment. That lessens the tower's stature.

Split-personality aside, I agree that the elevator overrun jarrs the viewer, particularly from the parkside view. I wish the architect could have "hidden" it. Why not design a "finial" observation floor that was somehow related to the 40th floor . . . and simply tuck the elevator overrun inside?.

On the companion building, architects made the top floor different (taller) than the others, giving the structure a "topped off properly" feeling, signaling the eye that "you've reached the top."

#54 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:31 AM

I agree. I think it STINKS too.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#55 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:53 AM

I don't think BP is the ugliest building in the city. As I've said, I think the western side is (very, very) vaguely interesting with the elevator cores. I just think it's far too big for its design (like it's trying to do far too much with what it has), and grossly mis-proportioned. Leaving the Central Library the other day, I laughed out loud, because from there you're viewing Burnett Plaza edge-on, and it looks like a two-by-four. It's goofy looking, and gets even goofier when you walk around to either side and see its immense bulk suddenly appear as it stretches down Cherry St.

Not to mention its role in destroying the Medical Arts building, but I've gone on plenty of rants about that already. smile.gif

--

Kara B.

#56 adam76110

adam76110

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

It has A nicer lobby than the other buildings built in the 1980s.

#57 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:09 PM

It has always been a little puzzling to me that there appears to be an overrun-overrun. Did I repeat myself? It looks excessive. Maybe the white portion was an afterthought to screen stuff on the roof?

By how much is it the tallest building?

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(JKC @ Jul 6 2006, 04:09 PM) View Post

It has always been a little puzzling to me that there appears to be an overrun-overrun. Did I repeat myself? It looks excessive. Maybe the white portion was an afterthought to screen stuff on the roof?

By how much is it the tallest building?

JKC: You are correct. The upper 20 feet or so of the elevator overrun was an afterthought to screen stuff on the roof and an attempt to keep the claim of the tallest building in the city true, while the building was under construction. When the final design was completed after the building grew by 10 stories due to tenant demands, it was claimed the building was the tallest in the city. However, it's height was so close to the D.R. Horton Tower's height, when you took into account the two building's different ground floor elevation, it was determined that Burnett Plaza's elevator overrun was actually at a lower elevation above sea level than the elevation of the elevator overrun(s) at the D.R. Horton Tower. At the time, the main tenants were requiring communications equipment to be installed on the roof, so the decision was made to put that equipment on top of the overrun penthouse instead of leaving it exposed on the main roof. A structural grid was designed on top of the overrun as a base for the equipment (also allows easy access and service) and then a screen was designed to cover it all up. This killed two birds with one stone and with no doubt made the building the tallest in the city both in actual feet and height above sea level.

Burnett Plaza is 20 feet taller than the D.R. Horton Tower. For the most comprehensive list of building heights, go to Fort Worth's Tallest Buildings, and below is a list of the Top 20 and their height in feet.

1 Burnett Plaza 567 ft.
2 D.R. Horton Tower 547 ft.
3 Carter+Burgess Plaza 525 ft.
Omni Fort Worth Hotel (Proposed between 499 and 544 ft.)
4 The Tower 488 ft.
5 Wells Fargo Tower 477 ft.
6 Pier 1 Place 324 ft.
7 Transport Life Building 307 ft.
8 500 W. 7th 300 ft.
9 Southwestern Bell Telephone 295 ft.
10 Blackstone Hotel 268 ft.
11 Commerce Building 260 ft.
12 Two Tandy Center 258 ft./288 ft. with future rooftop addition
13 One Tandy Center 247 ft./277 ft. with future rooftop addition
14 Electric Service Building 234 ft.
15 W.T. Waggoner Building 230 ft.
16 Electric Building 229 ft.
17 Executive Plaza 228 ft.
18 Will Rogers Pioneer Tower 208 ft.
19 Tarrant County Justice Center Unknown height
20 Tarrant County Corrections Center 203 ft.

#59 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

Ok, you all know how little I care about the skyline and skyscrapers, but. . .

23 FEET?! WTF? So put a spire on it and get bragging rights to the tallest building in FW. Am I missing something? I mean, 23 feet, come on! There are Cadillacs that long. Or crew cab pickups. Put one of those up there. I hear Chevy's giving them away now. That'll please the corporate bean counters who made the decision to stop 23' short of the tallest building title. Someone back me up here.

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

Sam, from what I have heard from both the architects and the Omni Hotel people, as the plans are being finalized for the building, it keeps growing. The latest report is that another 8'-6" has been added to the height. The 544 number includes the additional height. If you go to the Omni Fort Worth Hotel thread, I have included a full set of presentation plans for the building, complete with dimensioned elevations. The only part that is not dimensioned is the elevator overrun. It appears the final height of the building will be determined by the functions of the elevator systems within the building. Any comments on the hotel would be appreciated in the hotel thread. That thread can be found at: http://www.fortworth...p?showtopic=260

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users