#51 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Apr 2 2007, 10:44 AM) View Post

I had no idea Chesapeake BAY was in OK. Wow!

Or maybe they like stealing popular names of out of state destinations too. Maybe. dry.gif

I also heard from a DTFW businessman that the Chairmans daughter of that particular company (so if I read you right) has also purchased an entire floor of the TOWER. And believe me, just to make a quick sidenote, she looks ABSOLUTELY STUNNING in her new PCarrera (great pick BTW). Like ROCKY would say ,"AB-SOH-LOOOTELY!"

Haaaahhhbburrbbubrubrubrubrubruhh! (laughing til my monocle falls off and the brandy spills all over my smoking jacket)

Over half of DTFW is pretty much JUST OWNED by 2 maybe 3 entities, and their families. WITH MINERAL RIGHTS! That is something else. laugh.gif

Classic Safly post, combining a brief rant against the 'powers that be' while managing to drop a name and insert random opinion commentary as well.

#52 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

So I bring life to these posts. So what?

No rants involved there.

Drop who's name? Hey, like JRoberts said in a post not too long ago, It's a SMALL WORLD. Maybe even a "small town" ?

PTB is all good. Just funny to know that a BIG CITY'S downtown is pretty much owned by 2 or 3 parties.
Very rare.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#53 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:08 PM

Saf....im on your side..I live to read your entertaining posts....and really you have tons of useful info too....keep it up and name drop till you die honey!!!!!

#54 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:33 PM

Well I realize I'm reviving an old thread, but this has recently become a real issue for us. We live in Ridglea Hills and, although I know Ridglea North has been dealing with this, because I keep seeing signs for their neighborhood meetings - we hadn't had anything happening on our side of Camp Bowie thus far. Well, this past Saturday we got a lease offer in the mail from Colt Exploration - $5K/acre (which would put us around $2K bonus), 25%, with a 5 year lease.

We haven't done anything yet. We're still trying to do our research and decide what is the best course of action.

#55 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(pmburk @ Oct 29 2007, 01:33 PM) View Post

Well I realize I'm reviving an old thread, but this has recently become a real issue for us. We live in Ridglea Hills and, although I know Ridglea North has been dealing with this, because I keep seeing signs for their neighborhood meetings - we hadn't had anything happening on our side of Camp Bowie thus far. Well, this past Saturday we got a lease offer in the mail from Colt Exploration - $5K/acre (which would put us around $2K bonus), 25%, with a 5 year lease.

We haven't done anything yet. We're still trying to do our research and decide what is the best course of action.

Where are they planning to put the rig?

--

Kara B.

#56 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Oct 29 2007, 01:37 PM) View Post

QUOTE(pmburk @ Oct 29 2007, 01:33 PM) View Post

Where are they planning to put the rig?

Dunno yet. I only had a chance to glance at the paperwork on the way out the door Saturday, but I'm planning to read it more extensively this evening. I know there is a neighborhood meeting at LMRA either later this week or next.

#57 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:19 PM

The FWST is planning or is already rollin out a Business Editors BLOG pertaining to the Barnett Shale and all it encompasses in FW. Should be interesting and you can LINK with other folks in your situation.

Barnett Shale: A Brave New World.
www.iheartfw.com

#58 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:41 PM

It's been rolling for about a month now.

#59 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:38 PM

Scott had told someone I know that it was rolling out or online. Wasn't sure.

Just checked it out, very nice. Very nice.
www.iheartfw.com

#60 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:44 AM

5k per acre is not a good offer. Don't sign anything, work w/ the n/a they will band us together to get a better offer and work to improve the location of the drilling, make sure it does not impact the neighborhood.

I don't think we can push it to 15k but 5k is a low ball offer to see how smart and organized the area is.

#61 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

Get $12K. Bargain at $15K since it has been publicly noted in previous contracts.

Then spread the word to other NA's to do their homework.
www.iheartfw.com

#62 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

I would not sign anything until I saw where the drill site was going to be. If they work like Chesapeake and stick drill sites way too close to things, then deal's off, as far as I'm concerned.

--

Kara B.

#63 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Oct 30 2007, 12:39 PM) View Post

I would not sign anything until I saw where the drill site was going to be. If they work like Chesapeake and stick drill sites way too close to things, then deal's off, as far as I'm concerned.

And if they are publicly traded or do a great deal of business with publicly traded companies, then grab you some stock options too. At a minimum for the neighborhood. Worth leveraging, if not go call up some energy companies in places like Canada who would take a GOOD SERIOUS LOOK at what is available. If that is allowed.
www.iheartfw.com

#64 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

Shoot for a 3 year term, too. If they are just sitting on your minerals, then you aren't getting the royalties while you wait 5 years for them to do something. Well location can be critical too if you don't want to hear drilling activity out your bedroom window 24/7.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#65 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:51 PM

We were not able to make the meeting last Thursday. They don't have a well location yet. Drill site concerns would be more safety than anything, anyone in RH who says noise is an issue is full of malarkey, between the switching yard behind us, and being so close to NAS!

I don't think RH can get $15K. We ain't Tanglewood! :laugh:

Personally I don't have a lot of desire to sit through 588 neighborhood meetings like Ridglea North has done... we're looking at some options and are going to wait a little bit, see what else comes up. We're in no hurry to do anything. I don't have a problem with the lease itself, but want to make sure we're getting a fair deal in the end.

#66 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

Well, if it's a fair deal you want then get an ATTORNEY. Then you will see those $15K deals, of course then the suits will always have to get their share.
www.iheartfw.com

#67 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:52 PM

WHEN considering leasing on your tract (if you decide to do it), one thing to consider is whether the landmen have accurately calculated the area of your property. There are circumstances where the right-of-way of the street has not been deeded to the public in fee simple, so it is possible that you own the minerals under the street as well as your lot. Please check with a lawyer or other knowledgeable professional to confirm whether this applies to your situation. But, for your consideration, I present some head notes from the case of:

Cantley v. Gulf Production Co.
118 S.W.2d 448
Tex.Civ.App. 1938.
March 3, 1938.

Appeal from District Court, Gregg County; Will C. Hurst, Judge.
Action in trespass to try title by Mary E. Cantley and others against the Gulf Production Company and others, wherein Ben Laird intervened. From a judgment for defendants, plaintiffs appeal.
Affirmed.
[1] 59 Boundaries
59I Description
59k1 9 Roads, Ways, and Public Grounds
59k20 Public Ways
59k20(1) k. In General
A conveyance of land bounded on a street or highway carries with it the fee to the center thereof, subject to the easement of public way, if grantor owned to the center and there are no words of specific description showing contrary intent.

[2] 59 Boundaries
59I Description
59k19 Roads, Ways, and Public Grounds
59k20 Public Ways
59k20(5) k. Description with Reference to Map and Quantity Intended to Be Conveyed.
Where land is conveyed by reference to a map or plat showing land bounded by a highway, street, or alley, public or private, the grant extends to the center of such way in absence of clear showing to the contrary, if grantor owns so far, notwithstanding that plat shows lines of lot stopping at exterior line of way.

Be aware of your rights.

#68 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:59 PM

That last line of the quote is giving me a headache... (and I thought some building codes can be difficult to interpret at times.)

Does it mean that if a plat shows the lot lines stopping at the lines of the way the grant does not extend to the center?

Erik France

#69 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:00 PM

Description with Reference to Map and Quantity Intended to Be Conveyed.
Where land is conveyed by reference to a map or plat showing land bounded by a highway, street, or alley, public or private, the grant extends to the center of such way in absence of clear showing to the contrary, if grantor owns so far, notwithstanding that plat shows lines of lot stopping at exterior line of way.

Here is my translation of that statement: Where property is sold by a plat and the property is next to a right-of-way, if the previous owner owned to the center, then the property includes the land to the center of the road as long as there is nothing specifically saying otherwise (even if the plat only shows ownership to the edge of the road).

That isn't much better but perhaps it helps.

#70 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:01 AM

Ok, that does help. The plat or map has to be specific in showing or calling out the extents.

Erik France

#71 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:54 AM

Louisiana has instituted a ban on gas well drilling within 1/4 mile of interstate highways after I-10 was shut down due to a fire.
http://www.chron.com...on/5328213.html

Here is a story with video links out of Shreveport:
http://www.ksla.com/...&nav=menu50_1_3

Two interesting points:
1) I-10 was shut down for 11 days (over Thanksgiving) as the well burned. To my knowledge it was not reported by local (metroplex) media.
2) 1/4 mile is over 1200 feet. More than twice the distance Fort Worth "requires" unless City Council overrides a homeowner.

#72 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:32 PM

Ravaging disasters from Natural FIRES.
Homes Burning down to dust.
Louisiana taking smarter precautionary measures than Texas.
A 20 year FLAME of DESTRUCTION.

The Apocalypse is near. ph34r.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#73 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

An open letter to our City Council concerning gas drilling and production in Fort Worth.

After tremendous analysis of how to spend the revenues expected for Fort Worth, that represent less than 5% of the city's budget for the time of receipt, please consider some other perspectives.

First, there is no rush to get the gas. It's been there for a long time and it's not going anywhere. And on that note, it may be financially beneficial to take our time because the price will go up and the recovery methods should continue to improve. The people that rushed to sign leases got the worst deals and I suspect that is a pattern we can expect to see repeated at every level.

Next, we need to be very aware that this is a one-time experiment we are conducting on the city. There will not be a second chance to get it right. Further, nobody has ever done this to a city before. We need to assess infrastructure impacts, air quality, toxic chemical handling and other issues we probably don't know about yet. And we need to confront those issues in a thoughtful way, including interactions that we may discover. There is no formula for this. But if our permitting process was found to have been drawn up neglecting proper assessments the city would be vulnerable to costly damage lawsuits.

Finally we need to figure out the true economic impact of thousands of wells in Fort Worth. I'll compare gas wells to nuclear power plants. I worked for two years at a nuclear power plant and I know they are very safe. I would live next door to one, no problem. But most people don't see things that way, which is why the plants are out in the middle of nowhere. Right now people don't know much about gas wells. But let's suppose we have a few accidents in our urban setting. Like the ones that have happened in the surrounding counties. Fires, explosions, leaks... It would only take a few evacuations or, God forbid, deaths, to make people wonder if Fort Worth is a safe place to live. I'm not talking about true risk, it's all about perception. What would our home values do if Fort Worth became connected to problems with gas wells?

For those reasons we need to put a moratorium on issuing drilling permits in Fort Worth until we truly understand the situation. The gas companies will cry big tears, and they may even threaten us. But they have a lot of places to drill while we only have one Fort Worth. Stop issuing permits until an environmental assessment by a qualified professional firm is completed and understood. Then you can make good policy based on high quality information.

#74 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

I agree.

Still curious as to why WENDY never raised those same concerns and solutions for D9 all those years?

State election campaign money and support from the likes of Gas Co. exec's??? ninja.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#75 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

So I've heard on both radio and TV that the city reinstated the gas drilling committee today, but, my heavens, our wonderful daily newspaper has not a single word about it on their website. I realize that letting the good citizens that aren't marching lockstep behind the gas companies know about anything that could slow down any proceeds that could be raked in from leases on Startlegram property might not be in their best interest, but c'mon!

#76 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:50 AM

One of the main reasons we moved to Ft Worth was the Trinity Trails, and this morning's Startlegram tells us that Chesapeake wants to put a gas well right next to the trail, at Henderson and Cullen. Why does the paper call this an 'East side' issue? This one site is virtually downtown!

http://www.star-tele...ory/481095.html

Cities all over the world would love to have a natural asset like the Trinity Trails, but FW seems determined to ruin what they have. Because of bureaucracy, most of the trails are not even officially classified as 'parks'.

I have to admit, our initial enthusiasm at living in FW is steadily giving way to amazement at how things are done here.

#77 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

And a short P.S., showing how suspicious I've become: The city has let Heritage Park deteriorate to the point that they closed it, with no plans to restore it -- maybe someone knew that someone would want to drill wells near there? How easy would it be to say, Well, since the park is not being used as a park any more, why object to a well?

#78 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

Henderson and Cullen is a couple of blocks from the trail. A well there wouldn't affect it.

Heritage Park is rundown because it was built under a bridge in an uninviting location near government properties and behind the jail. There is no indication that anyone would ask to drill there.

But I am confused about gas wells in the middle of the Trinity Vision lake.

#79 mikelee

mikelee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (JBB @ Feb 12 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I've heard on both radio and TV that the city reinstated the gas drilling committee today, but, my heavens, our wonderful daily newspaper has not a single word about it on their website. I realize that letting the good citizens that aren't marching lockstep behind the gas companies know about anything that could slow down any proceeds that could be raked in from leases on Startlegram property might not be in their best interest, but c'mon!

Actually, we had a story in the paper on Feb. 11, the day before the vote to re-establish the committee, which drove a lot of the TV and radio coverage. We also had a follow-up on Feb. 13 with names of members and the issues that the committee is going to look into. (Sorry, I can't link to those stories, they expire on the website after 2 weeks. If need be, I can post a printed copy from our archives).

For good measure, we covered the committee's meeting earlier this week.

http://www.star-tele...ory/509501.html

If anyone ever has a question about city hall or gas drilling coverage, my e-mail address and phone number are on the linked story. If there's a conspiracy to keep good citizens from knowing something, I'm not part of it.

Thanks,

Mike Lee
Star-Telegram

#80 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:05 PM

Welcome to the forum, Mike!

#81 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:08 PM

So three houses in McKinney blew up from a natural gas leak, putting three people in the hospital with some really nasty burns. The Chesapeake Star-Telegram put out the absolute minimum AP news feed (as did the Houston Chronical):
http://www.star-tele...ory/648327.html

The Dallas Morning News provided extensive coverage since Belo has not (yet?) sold its soul to the gas industry:
http://www.dallasnew...n2.46132f8.html

And then followed up with further investigation and "human perspectives."
http://www.dallasnew...n1.4622df8.html

It's a conspiracy and jealousy, of course. Dallas just can't STAND the idea of something good happening in Fort Shale, Texas. Or maybe the advertising revenue coming into the Chesapeake Star-Telegram has skewed its views?

#82 Dr Quest

Dr Quest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:12 PM

I personally think that Chesapeake is the devil but this has zero to do with Chesapeake or gas drilling, the explosion was caused by a sub contractor for Atmos. With or without gas drilling any home with natural gas runs this risk.

#83 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

It should also be noted that another Belo-owned media outlet (WFAA) has run a series of investigative reports on faulty couplings in home gas delivery pipes. This doesn't look to be a factor in this incident, but it might explain their decision to dig into this story.

#84 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:23 AM

The boring technology being used in the incident is effectively the same as will be used to run the collector lines from the wells. Obviously the fact that Atmos' contractor hit one of Atmos' lines has some implication when we consider whether a contractor for a gas drilling company might hit one of Atmos' lines. For example, what is the quality of knowledge of where existing lines are in parts of the city where the lines were installed seventy years ago?

#85 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

Everybody has gas lines under their house. If somebody fouls up, they might explode.

A gas accident in McKinney has nothing to do with Fort Worth or the Barnett Shale.

#86 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

... and don't forget about the electricity they are bringing into our homes with old fashion wires.
There is your real hazard... electrical shorts! laugh.gif

www.fortworthview.com

#87 bhudson

bhudson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (monee9696 @ May 19 2008, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... and don't forget about the electricity they are bringing into our homes with old fashion wires.
There is your real hazard... electrical shorts! laugh.gif

I had a pair of electrical shorts, once. I gave them to Goodwill, though. It was hard to find an extension cord long enough to get where I needed to go.

#88 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Buck @ May 19 2008, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everybody has gas lines under their house. If somebody fouls up, they might explode.

A gas accident in McKinney has nothing to do with Fort Worth or the Barnett Shale.

Let me clarify. Every well site (all 1700 plus planned inside the loop) will have at least one "collector line" running from it to a compressing station. Those collector lines will be bored through the earth using the same process that was being used in McKinney. Every one of those bored lines has a chance at hitting existing buried utilities: gas, electrical (in some areas), water, optic fiber and telephone.

The McKinney case makes it obvious that the chances of a catastrophic accident as a result of those activities is not zero. Evaluating Risk involves considering the probability of an occurrence and evaluating the consequences. The risks associated with these activities in Fort Worth have not been evaluated.

The McKinney accident has nothing to do with us only because those responsible for protecting the life and well being of Fort Worth citizens have instead sold us out. I will therefore propose the name of our fair city be changed by charter to "Fort Shale, Texas" so we can indeed become Citizens of the Shale.

#89 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

And now Chesapeake has retained Tommy Lee Jones to encourage us to "Back the Shale" or something like that. Why the overkill on ads?

Is it just to buy off the local media using ad revenue (well done, by the way. The local comparison can be found walking Harry Hines in the wee hours I'm told). Is it an effort to get people to sign the leases and quit working together with their neighbors to drive up the landowner benefits? Is there a rush to get a bunch of wells into production before the accidents start making people question the wisdom of urban gas drilling?

Wouldn't it be interesting to be a fly on the wall as Chesapeake plans its communications effort?

#90 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

On those commercials: In one at the very beginning, the old Pier 1 Place is featured. Then Tommy Lee Jones speaks and behind him is an out of focus Fort Worth Skyline. It appeared that he was doing the commercial inside the building. At the end, when he walks off, you can see that the commercial was indeed shot inside Chesapeake's new lobby at Pier 1 Place.

#91 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:47 PM

Tommy Lee Jones? Spokesperson?

Come on, they couldn't get anybody that was RELEVANT to the "entertainment" world. NO CHUCK? NO PAT GREEN?

But if I'm not mistaken. The Jones family made a mint from this industry in TX, from generations ago.

I always thought he was SA based? Near Alamo Heights area. dry.gif

And what is with that paid advertisment on CBS 11, RIGHT AFTER the Colonial match today??? You are right that the media blitz smells a little bit fishy. Perhaps gas is $4/gallon and food prices are inching higher for a purpose (and guess who loves telling you what you already know) ? ? ? devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif

Look, bottomline is that natural gas is NOW A PRECIOUS COMMODITY, especially if we are willing to go over into a foreign country and FIGHT the "enemy" for it, to satisfy our needs with CURRENT TECHNOLOGY SHORTCOMINGS. So if they waive a little check in front of your face for your "one shot" at Shale GLORY, then just tell them that they are missing QUITE A FEW more zeros there BUDDY. Basically if GOLD or OIL/bbl or INFLATION rises, then so should your BONUS CHECK!
www.iheartfw.com

#92 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (ghughes @ May 24 2008, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And now Chesapeake has retained Tommy Lee Jones to encourage us to "Back the Shale" or something like that. Why the overkill on ads?

Is it just to buy off the local media using ad revenue (well done, by the way. The local comparison can be found walking Harry Hines in the wee hours I'm told). Is it an effort to get people to sign the leases and quit working together with their neighbors to drive up the landowner benefits? Is there a rush to get a bunch of wells into production before the accidents start making people question the wisdom of urban gas drilling?

Wouldn't it be interesting to be a fly on the wall as Chesapeake plans its communications effort?

I hope they are using Texas based communications/media/production firms from the top down with this.
www.iheartfw.com

#93 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

I was downtown this morning and as I was dodging a pothole on 7th Street a bus went bouncing by with a shrink wrapped “Back the Shale” sign. I wondered if people from out of town see all the billboards and buses and come away with a positive impression of Ft Worth. Hopefully they just say, “those lucky people are all millionaires.”

Later, I was at the train show at the Will Rogers and I overheard some out of town folks talking about the shale. One person was saying it was interesting to see the stupid things people buy when the get a little windfall money. I decided I probably didn’t need his 1937 “Frisco” timetable I was looking at. blink.gif

#94 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:55 PM

In the past few months I have noticed that the access road properties lining Eastbound I-30 between University and Summit have all been razed. What is up with that???

One can also see plenty of asphalt/dirt mounds being poured. UHHH OHHHH!

Another future gas rig nearby??? devil.gif

That MIDTOWN project board (near Rosedale Ave. and Forest Park Ave.) was all blacked out too. So where did that project go?
www.iheartfw.com

#95 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:57 PM

Safly, that is the future path of the Southwest Parkway or State Highway T121.

#96 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:05 PM

"Back the Shale"?

What does that mean?

Is that taken from the Dallas Police Department's bumper sticker campaign of "Back the Blue"?

Just what does Cheasapeake want us to do?

Being born and raised in the middle of the oil patch, I don't have a whole lot of problems with gas drilling. But, if they're asking me to gloss over waste injection wells or trying to get out of paying for damage by their trucks to our streets, it sounds like something I can't get behind 100%. I don't mind gas drilling just so long as FW property owners/taxpayers don't take damages from it or subsidize it.

#97 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:03 PM

Saw Tommy Lee at the stockyards in a new commercial today. Even my wife said, the relentless "Back the Shale" advertising is causing her to wonder what they are keeping a secret, since they are pushing so hard.

#98 dustin

dustin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

what i hated about the tommy lee ad was the way they go about it. It uses the "you must hate Texas and Fort Worth if you are opposed to gas drilling" approach. i agree with KP's wife about the campaign being so aggressive that it is back firing, causing us to question the authenticity of the message. That and the tone is so condescending. I think they need to hire a new marketing firm.

#99 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

What threw me a curve on their CBS paid ad last week was their notion that if you don't back them on their explorations of the Barnett, well then you must be UNPATRIOTIC on a national scale.

How valid is the Barnett Shale reserves? Why does Chespeake seem to be the only player in this, and the only one willing to throw some major PR bucks around? Are other like companies restricted, or do they not care to project such an image of desperation?

I'm sure that if viewers create such an opinion about this companies TV ads, well then they got you right where they want you. Marketing 101 here. Think of the pro wrestling dramatics and public relations dynamics of one Andy Kaufman ??? I know, a certain stretch but the two ideas do eventually cross paths.

If all they have to do is from now on create more pleasing ads, well then they will seem to be a more accomodating company at that point, which costs peanuts for them to do.

Look for them to stamp their name on that new Cowboys stadium and/or Hall of Fame soon. Wonder how that move will go for N. Texans ?
www.iheartfw.com

#100 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

Chesapeake has a couple of big reasons to run an aggressive PR campaign: they aren't locally based and their name has been associated with a number of negative stories related to gas exploration. XTO, on the other hand, is locally based, was around long before the Barnett Shale was a glint in everyone's eye, and they have been associated with a number of positive stories in this area. They've been thick in the middle of a number of not-so-favorable incidents, but their PR machine has managed to work without appearing aggressive.

If Chesapeake wants their name on the Cowboys stadium, they're probably going to have to outbid the much deeper pockets of AT&T (or Verizon or Exxon-Mobil).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users