• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Being a native of Fort Worth I have been increasingly chagrined with the growing trend to eliminate the name “Fort Worth” from public notoriety. The media is partly to blame, with our so-called Fort Worth-based radio and TV stations claiming to cover “all of North Texas.” And increasingly “Tarrant County” has become the attributed identity of my hometown. Even Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex is becoming known as “metroplex” or “Dallas metroplex” or just plain “Dallas” (ugh!). Fellow Fort Worthians, where is Amon Carter when we need him!

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Do we really need another topic along these lines? I'm a Fort Worth native and I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I would rather see 3 or 4 serious posts a day about development than 20 a day with whining and complaining like this. It's just noise and, in the end, it doesn't make a flipping bit of difference. I'm proud of what Fort Worth has become and I regularly hear people extoll the greatness of Fort Worth (and a great deal of that from people from Dallas). If channel 5 claims "Dallas" as their home market or the Star Telegram gets rid of "Fort Worth" from their masthead, it doesn't have even the slightest effect on my opinion of the city or the opinion of someone who already loves the city. Dallas is great because it has Fort Worth for a neighbor and Fort Worth is great because it has Dallas as a neighbor. Can't we all be happy about that? Go ahead, flame away. Tell me I'm a closet Dallas-ite. Tell me my opinion doesn't count because I don't live in the city limits. I've heard it before. <endrant>

#3 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

Playing Devil's Advocate, you have to admit that 'Fort Worth' and 'Tarrant County' have nearly become one and the same with the city's penchant for annexation - I would guess from the map that well over 50% of the county pays FW city taxes.

That said, even as a transplanted resident of downtown FW, I hate being associated with Big D by people who don't know better! I work at a plant in Saginaw whose corporate offices are in Vancouver, WA. For several years, the plant was referred to as the 'Dallas plant' before we finally got them to call us 'Saginaw'!

To add insult to injury (and to further illustrate your point), my sister-in-law and brother-in-law drove out from California to visit a couple months ago and called on the way in saying they are on 114 headed for Dallas. We asked why they are headed for Dallas, and they replied, "Isn't that where you live?"...
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#4 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Isn't Fort Worth the seat of Tarrant County? Which in actuality it's really Fort Worth County, I'm assuming. Jury duty selection is held at Fort Worth court... well enough of that

#5 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

I hate it, too..... but I've also gone on MILLIONS of times about this.

Pick your battles, man. Pick your battles.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#6 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

Meh. Y'all are too sensitive.
My blog: Doohickie

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

I have reluctantly gotten use to the national media and outsiders referring to the region as "Dallas".
After all, they are reporting to people who do not live here.

However, I cannot get use to our local media referring this region or DFW airport as "Dallas".
They are reporting to us; and I plead guilty to being justifiably sensitive.

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#8 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

I think johnfwd makes a valid point. It's important to me (it's a personal thing) that Fort Worth maintain a distinct identity from Dallas - because in my opinion it is very distinct. Fort Worth is the seat of government for a large Texas county and has a history, culture, and vibe that is distinct from Dallas. That idea was driven home for me just this weekend when I had dinner at a great restaurant in Fort Worth and swam through the storm to meet friends for cocktails at a glitzy place in Dallas. The two cities might as well be on different planets. I think one could argue that the bounty Fort Worth enjoys in the visual and performing arts, and in many of the cultural amenities that exist there, were provided by folks who wanted to drive the point home - Fort Worth is not Dallas. That being said, it does get to be a tiresome discussion. The mass media call Fort Worth/Dallas "Dallas" because basically they're lazy. It's way easy. My peace with the Fort Worth/Dallas mash-up came when I realized the people I want to know that Fort Worth is distinct do, and those that want to lump it with Dallas I probably wouldn't like anyway.

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

.... My peace with the Fort Worth/Dallas mash-up came when I realized the people I want to know that Fort Worth is distinct do, and those that want to lump it with Dallas I probably wouldn't like anyway.

Well said!

#10 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

I think johnfwd makes a valid point. It's important to me (it's a personal thing) that Fort Worth maintain a distinct identity from Dallas - because in my opinion it is very distinct. Fort Worth is the seat of government for a large Texas county and has a history, culture, and vibe that is distinct from Dallas. That idea was driven home for me just this weekend when I had dinner at a great restaurant in Fort Worth and swam through the storm to meet friends for cocktails at a glitzy place in Dallas. The two cities might as well be on different planets. I think one could argue that the bounty Fort Worth enjoys in the visual and performing arts, and in many of the cultural amenities that exist there, were provided by folks who wanted to drive the point home - Fort Worth is not Dallas. That being said, it does get to be a tiresome discussion. The mass media call Fort Worth/Dallas "Dallas" because basically they're lazy. It's way easy. My peace with the Fort Worth/Dallas mash-up came when I realized the people I want to know that Fort Worth is distinct do, and those that want to lump it with Dallas I probably wouldn't like anyway.

cosign
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#11 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

Do we really need another topic along these lines? I'm a Fort Worth native and I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I would rather see 3 or 4 serious posts a day about development than 20 a day with whining and complaining like this. It's just noise and, in the end, it doesn't make a flipping bit of difference. I'm proud of what Fort Worth has become and I regularly hear people extoll the greatness of Fort Worth (and a great deal of that from people from Dallas). If channel 5 claims "Dallas" as their home market or the Star Telegram gets rid of "Fort Worth" from their masthead, it doesn't have even the slightest effect on my opinion of the city or the opinion of someone who already loves the city. Dallas is great because it has Fort Worth for a neighbor and Fort Worth is great because it has Dallas as a neighbor. Can't we all be happy about that? Go ahead, flame away. Tell me I'm a closet Dallas-ite. Tell me my opinion doesn't count because I don't live in the city limits. I've heard it before. <endrant>

While I appreciate your opinion, I must object that I am stating what I believe is a factual trend and am not whining. Furthermore, this is a forum for opinions and I have a right to participate with my own just as you do. Are we to have an arbiter of proper opinion-making on this panel? Also, I believe the founder of this forum had a reason for calling it the "Fort Worth" forum and not by some other place entity.

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

You're right and I apologize. It's not my place to tell you to not share your opinions.

#13 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

My favorite topic. :swg: I hate it too, but I think most of this originates from Dallas. Dallas has done a better job than Fort Worth at being a business hub, so Dallas is outsiders first introduction to "North Texas". In Dallas, they say "Dallas area" or "Dallas Metroplex" i.e. Fort Worth and Arlington too or just plain "Dallas". D/FW airport does very little to change this.

We have a passive city with a corny slogan :red: that doesn't attract the trendy folks that media care about.

Of course, that damn TV show and the Dallas-area (Arlington) Cowboys don't help either.

#14 CleanBarber.com

CleanBarber.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

I intensely dislike Dallas for at least 17 reasons. Maybe more. And I intensely dislike being associated with Dallas. Keep in mind there are two cities of separation or more between Fort Worth and Dallas. Until now this was a subconscious emotion but has now been clearly identified and categorized. I really like this forum. BTW don't you hate when certain people pronounce the name as "forth worth"?

#15 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

It’s an age-old story, really. A matter of identity, even sovereignty. Goes back to the 13 original colonies balking at the impending forces wanting to mesh New York or Virginia into a “United States of America.” Texas joined the union in 1836 but some have always wanted to secede, maybe because they want to be known as the Republic of Texas again. And merry ole England has always resisted losing its identity and sovereignty to European unionization. But, getting back to the states, regionalism has been cropping its head everywhere beginning in the post WWII period. Burgeoning population growth making smaller communities merge with core big cities that comprise “metropolitan statistical areas” (a Commerce Department designation). Lack of local identity happens when you can't tell one city from another and don't know exactly when you're leaving one to enter another. Regional planners like COG envision a North Texas region that goes beyond just the Fort Worth-Dallas metroplex. Planning for regional infrastructure development, among other things. I guess we’ll just have to get use to Fort Worth succumbing to this manifest destiny.

#16 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'm back on this and still irritated, so please bear with me and don't groan...Did any of you notice that during the ice storm the national news media showed only the problems facing Dallas?  This is because the National Weather Service, which is actually located regionally in Fort Worth, seems to ignore our city altogether.  Anyone ever notice that all national weather maps show Dallas, rather than Dallas and Fort Worth?  I guess we don't experience weather in Fort Worth.

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

*groan*

#18 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

*yawn*

#19 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

Being a native of Fort Worth I have been increasingly chagrined with the growing trend to eliminate the name “Fort Worth” from public notoriety.

I have reluctantly gotten use to the national media and outsiders referring to the region as "Dallas".
After all, they are reporting to people who do not live here.

However, I cannot get use to our local media referring this region or DFW airport as "Dallas".
They are reporting to us; and I plead guilty to being justifiably sensitive.

I think johnfwd makes a valid point. It's important to me (it's a personal thing) that Fort Worth maintain a distinct identity from Dallas - because in my opinion it is very distinct..... it does get to be a tiresome ...The mass media call Fort Worth/Dallas "Dallas" because basically they're lazy. It's way easy..

The national media tends to generalize more when addressing a national audience; but there is real laziness on the part of the media here when it addresses the local North Texas audience.

One questions who a local media organization such as follows thinks is their audience and who is most likely to read their journalism?  Read and see if you agree a little bit about a lack of attribution for Fort Worth.  After reading the article, I sent in a comment.

Fort Worth over everyone!

http://www.pegasusne...dallas-episode/

#20 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

Some meteorologists on The Weather Channel refer to North Texas as the Dallas metro area or Dallas metroplex. Drives me crazy.

-Dylan

#21 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

This was why I joined the forum is 1997. My absolute favorite topic.

The problem is people who live and work here (KTVT, KXAS and S-T) refer to the area as Dallas when they do national spots or interviews regarding D-FW. 

Don't know if getting pro sports would solve this issue (unless the Cowboys became the "Fort Worth Cowboys" :devil:  lol). Oakland has three and I hear it's sports teams as "San Francisco area teams."

Regardless, I'll keep representing Fort Worth to the fullest in my national travels.

#22 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:14 AM

I was watching Channel 5 yesterday, and they put up a map on the screen of every Home Depot where you could take your Christmas tree for recycling. Of course, from our "hometown" TV station, every single Home Depot mapped was in Dallas. It was as if the Depot hadn't made it past the western frontier of Arlington. :no:

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

I'm not usually one to complain about this to much... 

Bu I sure wish they would show FW just a little during Cowboys games. I'm not a Cowboys fan really, but it's all shots of Dallas. Just a cut or two of maybe the Plaza, stockyards, or cultural district would be nice. Especially when it's in the county that paid for them to be there. 

#24 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

I don't know. I'm pretty okay with FW not being associated with the product that owner Jones presents in Arlington.

#25 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

Check out this Forbes pictorial survey.  Coolest city ranked No. 10.  Dallas?  Yes....well... no.  According to Forbes, the city of Dallasfortwortharlington. 

http://t.money.msn.c...ebuyers#image=2

#26 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

It doesn't say the city of "Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington," it says that Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington is the metro area.  The entry itself for "coolest city" is 100% Dallas.  They do the same for every city on the list.

--

Kara B.

#27 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

It doesn't say the city of "Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington," it says that Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington is the metro area.  The entry itself for "coolest city" is 100% Dallas.  They do the same for every city on the list.

Yes, I know that.  But the point is, they're identifying Dallas with having a certain characteristic that may or may not be descriptive of Fort Worth and/or Arlington.  Are you sure it's 100% Dallas?  I believe it skews the survey if they are including Fort Worth and Arlington as part of the Dallas metro area.  As you know, Fort Worth has qualities that are entirely distinct from Dallas.  And, too, it's an aggravating contribution to the old argument about Fort Worth and Arlington being "suburbs" of Dallas.  I wish someone would tell Forbes to rank Fort Worth (if not Arlington) separately from Dallas when they do these surveys.

#28 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

It's *listed* as 100% Dallas, yes.  That's all I'm saying.

Something tells me that if they ranked FW and Dallas separately, they would probably wind up not including Fort Worth at all.

--

Kara B.

#29 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

Poor, poor, pitiful us.  :unsure:

#30 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

.....  And, too, it's an aggravating contribution to the old argument about Fort Worth and Arlington being "suburbs" of Dallas.

And yet, at the risk of me misdirecting the discussion, the surest way for Fort Worth to be more broadly view by outsiders as a separate place is to have its own airport.  :frown:

Now back to where we left off.

#31 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

And yet, at the risk of me misdirecting the discussion, the surest way for Fort Worth to be more broadly view by outsiders as a separate place is to have its own airport.  :frown:

Fortunately, we have 3 civilian airports (Alliance, Spinks, Meacham), plus one military joint reserve air base. ;)

Dallas has only 2 - Love and Redbird Executive. (Nobody tell them or they'll start construction immediately to catch up.)

DFW claimed by both.

#32 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

Something tells me that if they ranked FW and Dallas separately, they would probably wind up not including Fort Worth at all.

Then would rather they not include Fort Worth at all, but that's not likely to happen.

#33 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Fort Worth base US Airways showed Dallas Love field. Joel Burns got a reply back thanking him for showing the mistake. This time. Went more smoother. Than the Weather channel intern reply back.

To those who call us Fort Worthians . Like myself and Councilman Burns " too sensitive " for standing up and doing something . I say. You are too lazy to stand up for our city. And if that upsets you. Then you are being too sensitive. And don't dish it out if you can't take it. 

#34 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Fort Worth base US Airways showed Dallas Love field. Joel Burns got a reply back thanking him for showing the mistake. This time. Went more smoother. Than the Weather channel intern reply back.

To those who call us Fort Worthians . Like myself and Councilman Burns " too sensitive " for standing up and doing something . I say. You are too lazy to stand up for our city. And if that upsets you. Then you are being too sensitive. And don't dish it out if you can't take it. 

Not sure whether you were referring to Bud Kennedy's column in the Star-Telegram about Joel Burns and his penchant for looking out for Fort Worth's identity.  But it's good reading, so check it out.

http://www.star-tele...on-twitter.html

#35 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

I guess I disagree with some of the sentiment on the board with regards to DFW Airport.  Why in the world would anyone think Fort Worth would be better off with its own regional airport when the world's 3rd busiest airport has "Fort Worth" in the actual name?

There is a major trend happening with airports across the country, which is that the hubs are doing very well and the non-hub regional airports are dying as airlines have consolidated.  Look at passenger traffic stats on Memphis or Cincinnati or any number of other formerly well-off airports that found themselves in the position of not being hubs, and you will see the story very clearly.  San Fran vs. Oakland is about the best comparison I can come up with, when looking at what has happened over the past decade+ to a smaller airport that is close to a bigger one.  Oakland's air traffic has cut in half over the past 10 or so years while San Fran does great (now less than 5 million passengers per year vs. 21 million).  There is no doubt in my mind that if we had our own airport and were competing against a Dallas airport, we'd be paying more money for fewer destinations.  As it is, we are a major international hub and home to the largest U.S. airline.  The script couldn't have been written any better for Fort Worth.  Personally I have flights to 3 different destinations in the next month: one in a rurul Midwestern state that has a small airport served by only 6 daily flights, one to a major U.S. city, and one to a major Asian city.  And I get to fly non-stop on every flight.  Without a strong DFW Airport, this doesn't happen. 

There is a reason why Dallasites still seethe when the subject of DFW Airport comes up.  Fort Worth got a good deal, and the current trend toward super airports just increases the value of DFW as a hub both in the U.S. and globally.  And Fort Worth benefits tremendously.

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

The Star-Telegram reported that Joel Burns is back on the campaign of promoting Fort Worth.  He recently contacted US Airways about their information regarding flying to "Dallas".  He reminded them that the airport is named "Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport".

#37 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

I guess I disagree with some of the sentiment on the board with regards to DFW Airport.  Why in the world would anyone think Fort Worth would be better off with its own regional airport.....There is a reason why Dallasites still seethe when the subject of DFW Airport comes up.  Fort Worth got a good deal, and the current trend toward super airports just increases the value of DFW as a hub both in the U.S. and globally.  And Fort Worth benefits tremendously. 

I guess I must ask you if you think Dallas does not benefit equally from the value of DFW? 

I would further ask you why you think Dallas felt the need to keep Love Field open if all the value is in DFW?  Could it be Dallas believes that it is better off with both a regional and an international airport.  You do realize that in October, Love Field will no longer be a regional airport?

There will be some benefits for domestic travel from Love Field that DFW may or may not choose to replicate; and in such instances, travelers living in Fort Worth will have to go to Dallas. If you park your car in Dallas, you benefit Dallas.

I cannot account for why Dallas seethes over DFW but each time I book a flight from or to Fort Worth, it is booked as Dallas which is enough to cause me to seethe.

#38 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

Dallas does benefit as well.  But Dallas, if on its own, would have a far larger airport than Fort Worth would, were we on our own.  So proportionally, I'd say that Fort Worth sees the much greater benefit.

Love Field will always be a regional airport.  No international flights ever and limited to 20 gates.  I think it's the perfect foil to DFW because it will keep DFW/AA honest but can't really truly compete.  And I just realize that Dallas is big enough to support this type of airport, while Fort Worth isn't.

I'm not sure of what benefits you speak.  There will never be a flight out of Love that doesn't exist at DFW.  That said, I fly out of Love regularly.  I love Fort Worth, but I think one would have to be a bit deranged to truly have a problem with spending $12 on parking in Dallas.

#39 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

I guess I disagree with some of the sentiment on the board with regards to DFW Airport.  Why in the world would anyone think Fort Worth would be better off with its own regional airport when the world's 3rd busiest airport has "Fort Worth" in the actual name?

I "love" DFW Airport and the fact that we partially claim to be home of the world's 3rd busiest airport (takeoffs/landings).

I even designed a shirt with a map of DFW Airport on it.  :) 

My main problems are with how Dallas kept their airport while we lost ours, and how people forget that DFW Airport represents two cities.

-Dylan

#40 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

Dallas does benefit as well.  But Dallas, if on its own, would have a far larger airport than Fort Worth would, were we on our own.  So proportionally, I'd say that Fort Worth sees the much greater benefit.

Love Field will always be a regional airport.  No international flights ever and limited to 20 gates.  I think it's the perfect foil to DFW because it will keep DFW/AA honest but can't really truly compete.  And I just realize that Dallas is big enough to support this type of airport, while Fort Worth isn't.

I'm not sure of what benefits you speak.  There will never be a flight out of Love that doesn't exist at DFW.  That said, I fly out of Love regularly.  I love Fort Worth, but I think one would have to be a bit deranged to truly have a problem with spending $12 on parking in Dallas.

After "Dallas does benefit as well", nothing else is definitive about the above comments.

------------------------------------

The question that continues to go unanswered is why shouldn't there be an airport in the western half of North Texas.  Would you argue that there is no need for Hulen Mall since there is a North East Mall?  Airports like malls can have local markets.

Interesting that you count yourself among the Fort Worth/Tarrant customers that regularly travel to Dallas who, then by their actions, perpetuate the notion that Dallas alone is big enough to have a Love Field while Fort Worth is not. :?:   I do know that Fort Worth is among the twenty largest cities in the nation.

I think that Love Field exists, not because DFW is inadequate, but because Dallas acts and thinks singularly more than regionally when it is beneficial for itself.  What reason is sufficient to deny Fort Worth for acting and thinking in ways like Dallas?

If competition is your argument, then SWA could always move to DFW to take on the so called  "big bad bully".  An even better argument would be for the next SWA to operate from a Fort Worth Airport which could foil both DFW and Love Field.

I simply believe that if there were a counter-weight airport in western Tarrant County, then we would know if Dallas is ordained to simply better than Fort Worth or if Dallas, as seen by me, has been better than Fort Worth at exploiting a compromise while having its cake and eating it too.

$12 in the coffers of Dallas are dollars not in the coffers of Fort Worth is factual; not deranged. A hotel and a job in western Tarrant County is a good thing; not a problem.

To too many people nationally and even statewide, Fort Worth is invisible.

#41 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

The question of why there isn't an airport in the western half of North Texas has been asked and answered.  I was flying commercial out of Meacham in the 1990's so it's not like some overlord is refusing to allow it.  The market determined that it wasn't viable.  Conversely, Love Field exists because there is a market for it...plain and simple.

To your last point, yes Fort Worth is invisible to many people.  But I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the airport situation.

#42 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

.... I was flying commercial out of Meacham in the 1990's so it's not like some overlord is refusing to allow it.  The market determined that it wasn't viable.  Conversely, Love Field exists because there is a market for it...plain and simple.

To your last point, yes Fort Worth is invisible to many people.  But I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the airport situation.

Nothing is plain and simple about the Love Field Issues.

Of course there was an overlord in the 90's and who just happened to be based in and carried political clout in Fort Worth - AA made DFW a fortress; now after bankruptcy and deregulation, airlines and the public has made point to point (aka the SWA Model) more the norm than is hub-ing.  The trend is to use smaller jets and smaller crews with increase frequency, the model which made SWA a standout among the airline industry.  It was not so much the market that kept Fort Worth from establishing a regional airport, but the city not wanting to be seen as doing something that countered the interest of a hometown corporation.  It is interesting to consider if SWA had not been a Dallas corporation whether the tensions between the two cities, the big airport and Love Field would not exist.  My guess is that all airlines would be flying from DFW and pricing and competition would be present there without the redundancy of two airports.

It is also interesting that you, being a regular customer of Love Field, are the proof that there actually is a market in Fort Worth and that given the opportunity that there is a market that could grow into viability.  If Shreveport or Midland can be viable markets, why do you insist that Fort Worth cannot be?  I would fly into Fort Worth Regional or DFW; and never fly into a Love Field that is 40 miles or more away.

Fort Worth Regional would go a significant way towards increasing the visibility of the city.  It would be the become the default airport when searching for flights; and would begin to take it out of the shadows of Dallas.

So if the lack of an airport and the labeling of the travel industry to brand Fort Worth's half of DFW as DFW(Dallas) is not a large contributing factor, tell us of the situation.

#43 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

We're somewhat digressing from the Fort Worth identity problem.  But I agree the lack of a regional airport locally offering commercial passenger service is a contributing factor, if only a minor one.  How many news reports I've read or heard about some aborted flight from DFW International to some city in which the news commentator says  "...the flight from Dallas to..."  Now, if the flight actually began at a Fort Worth airport, I would think a factually accurate news report go like this:  "the flight from Fort Worth to..."

#44 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm not certain that it would make much difference in 95% of news coverage - you just *know* we'd be on here discussing the most recent case of a reporter saying "The Dallas-area flight" or "The Dallas flight" if such a thing happened at a hypothetical Fort Worth Regional airport.

--

Kara B.

#45 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

I'm not certain that it would make much difference in 95% of news coverage - you just *know* we'd be on here discussing the most recent case of a reporter saying "The Dallas-area flight" or "The Dallas flight" if such a thing happened at a hypothetical Fort Worth Regional airport.

You got that right.  One can only hope, I guess.

#46 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

Face it: The Dallas Metroplex is just around the corner.

We can whine about it all we want or be happy that we're a part of it.

• JBB likes this

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#47 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

Face it: The Dallas Metroplex is just around the corner.

We can whine about it all we want or be happy that we're a part of it.

A divorce is perfectly fine with me; because then we can have The Fort Worth Metroplex.  :swg:

#48 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

On March 18th, an episode of KERA's Think called "The Urbanization of Texas" took a strange turn shortly after the show started. They got into the whole Dallas vs Fort Worth thing, and an interesting perspective was raised that I thought you all might enjoy. I found it to be quite a cautionary tale with all of the HSR discussions ongoing...

#49 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:43 PM

Please don't groan, because there is some factual basis for paranoia.  All during the continuing rainy season, we've been informed that Dallas gets severe thunderstorms with hail, high winds, tornadoes, and flooding.  That is true, but just once, can't the national news media acknowledge that Fort Worth gets its share of miserable weather?  If weather maps can include the names Abilene, Brownsville, even Omaha, why can't a national weather map--just once in a blue moon--read "Fort Worth-Dallas.."  Surely that name isn't too long to fit on a map.  Why bother?  Because the National Weather Service is located in Fort Worth, not Dallas.

#50 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

Maybe because I'm *not* from around here, I don't see what the big deal is.  Dallas is the largest city in the region.  If you're referring to the region in general, you can say Dallas and everyone knows kind of what you mean.  If you say Fort Worth, people kind of look at you sideways and ask where that is.  Dallas is the easiest way to say "somewhere in North Texas" that the outside world understands.  Sure it's an interesting rivalry within the region, but it's not worth getting into a snit because the rest of the world isn't quite sure where Ft Worth is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users