• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#151 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

I'll need a few days to decide whether to even make an endorsement; I have had some issues with both the runoff candidates, and I'll have to sit down with them and see whether they can be worked out.

If (and it's a big IF) I decide to endorse someone, you can expect to hear about it in about a week. And IF someone earns my endorsement, they'll also earn my legs on the street for the next month, and hopefully the legs of many of my supporters as well.

The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#152 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:13 PM

Bernie's race was what a campaign should be: who am I, what do the voters care about, and what do I say about those issues.

Congratulations on keeping the messages out front. Bernie's campaign had Fort Worth written all over it.

#153 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

I hear District 9 is being rezoned to AG EXEMPT! unsure.gif

Apparently the last election showed a high concentration of SHEEP in the district. sleep.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#154 S. Ray DeRusse

S. Ray DeRusse

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Nov 9 2007, 03:42 PM) View Post

I hear District 9 is being rezoned to AG EXEMPT! unsure.gif

Apparently the last election showed a high concentration of SHEEP in the district. sleep.gif

Oh my. Yes it was a mean spirited election but things get deeper. We had our Joel Burns campaign sign knocked down and trampled on and our front door apparently for the second time plastered with eggs for outing Kay Granger as the self serving quack she is. Apparently it does not take alot of on the job training to teach Republicans how to stuff their pockets and mattresses with cash. Must be in the genes?

Cordially,
S. Ray DeRusse
www.bccmeteorites.com

Oh yes, that includes John Cornyn and Kay Bailey whos days are numbered, as well as many other Repubilcans.

#155 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

Sorry the short notice, but I've been on vacation (bowhunting whitetails in Michigan), regarding today's candidate forum.

The Chicano Luncheon
Thursday Nov. 15, 2007
Noon to 1:p.m.
La Trinidad United Methodist Church
1300 Gould Ave. (at Northside Dr.)
Fort Worth TX 76106

#156 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:02 PM

I would, but I see it is Noon now, so I don't think I can get over there before it ends. sad.gif
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#157 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:08 PM

It'll probably end up starting late any ways. smilewinkgrin.gif

Bad joke, but to know me is to know my humor. I do know my peeps. rotflmao.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#158 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

I've heard that joke made about enough different groups that I wonder who actually starts on time. Other than us Teutonic-Americans, that is.

#159 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:47 PM

So I guess the City Council District 9 discussion is going to peter out now that Bernie Scheffler is out of the picture?

#160 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

If by you mean the ONE person who actually brought VALID INTERESTS and SOLUTIONS on a widescale of issues to the table for D-9 residents, then positively YES. Or most likely YES.
From now on it will be political grandstanding or more childish rants betwix the two candidates. Sort of a "lesser of two evils displayed will get the winning votes" kinda system here. Votes of which will probably be eclipsed by the last election(s). But, on the brightside we have only another 15 or so months after this election until FW voters have another shot at finally GETTING IT RIGHT.

How's that for a quote from your FWForum source? smile.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#161 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:50 PM

Not looking for quotes, there SAFLY ... just immersing myself in the blogosphere and wondering whether I can expect continued dialogue regarding the DST9 race even though one of this site's popular candidates is no longer in the race.

FYI: Bernie invited me to have a beer with him sometime, now that I'm not covering him as a candidate. Once the race is over, I think I'll gladly take him up on that. I found him to be quite refreshing as a political hopeful and an all-around good guy.

#162 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

I should also note, for the record, that I really enjoyed getting to know all of the candidates while covering the race (so far). They all have endearing qualities.

#163 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

Since we have opened up the discussion on the race, I don't think it necessarily has to peter out. There is still nearly one month until the runoff election.

#164 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:35 AM

I agree with John. Even though people suggested that our only interest is the fact that Bernie is a forummer, I live in D-9 and will continue to follow the election and opine on it until it has played out. It is apparent, though that success on the blog/forum world does not apparently equate to a substantial number of votes. How does the politically active world of bloggers compare with vote percentage, Tony? Apparently not much.

I have decided that of the candidates remaining, Joel Burns was talking about the issues I have been most interested in for D-9 prior to Bernie getting wiped out. Therefore, he is my 2nd choice candidate. Greg Hughes might have some good things to say about Mr. Rangel, but his comments in the two forums I attended just didn't connect with me.

#165 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:54 AM

Joel is a member under his own name on this board and he is welcome to post on any topic. As far as I know, Juan Rangel is not a member, but he is also welcome to join and post.

#166 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:21 PM

Patiently waiting. unsure.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#167 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Nov 17 2007, 02:35 AM) View Post

I agree with John. Even though people suggested that our only interest is the fact that Bernie is a forummer, I live in D-9 and will continue to follow the election and opine on it until it has played out. It is apparent, though that success on the blog/forum world does not apparently equate to a substantial number of votes. How does the politically active world of bloggers compare with vote percentage, Tony? Apparently not much.

I have decided that of the candidates remaining, Joel Burns was talking about the issues I have been most interested in for D-9 prior to Bernie getting wiped out. Therefore, he is my 2nd choice candidate. Greg Hughes might have some good things to say about Mr. Rangel, but his comments in the two forums I attended just didn't connect with me.

Well, what are the issues here??? I mean as far as I'm concerned both Juan and Joel are two in the same and both will get a combined 1100-1300 voters this coming Dec. 8th. So what''s new here? If that stands true, is that more of a reflection on the candidates or the voting public of D-9? Your thoughts.

If I were a candidate (please no ideas here), registering voters would be my number 1 concern, and I would not leave it for a 3rd party to tackle. It's a deep issue for me. It enables a STRONG voice for political discussion and freedom to be well regarded and represented. Think PLURALITY in it's truest sense.
www.iheartfw.com

#168 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

I'm not sure voter registration matters with regard to this particular election. Don't you have to vote in the original election to vote in the runoff?

#169 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:07 PM

No, you don't have to vote in the regular election to vote in the runoff.
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#170 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Nov 17 2007, 08:54 AM) View Post

Joel is a member under his own name on this board and he is welcome to post on any topic. As far as I know, Juan Rangel is not a member, but he is also welcome to join and post.

Whoops. Point of clarification. I meant based on the comments I heard at the two candidate forums that I attended as opposed to online forums.

#171 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Nov 17 2007, 04:54 PM) View Post

I'm not sure voter registration matters with regard to this particular election. Don't you have to vote in the original election to vote in the runoff?

I hope you didn't make a misleading flyer about this one too??? biggrin.gif smilewinkgrin.gif

Actually, encouraging voter registration should be priority #1 every year that person is in office or serving the city.
www.iheartfw.com

#172 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

For the record, the voter registration deadline was Nov. 12 if the runoff is Dec. 11.

And anybody in District 9 can vote, regardless whether they voted in the first election.

#173 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:36 PM

I guess I was thinking about party primaries. I need to keep my online mouth shut.

#174 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

Runoffs set for Dec. 18
By ANTHONY SPANGLER
aspangler@star-telegram.com
Gov. Rick Perry has chosen Dec. 18 as the date for a runoff election for the unexpired Texas House District 97 seat, despite pleadings by local election officials to conduct that runoff on Dec. 11, the date on which a runoff had been scheduled for Fort Worth City Council more than a month ago...

...Early voting will be Dec. 10-14.

Read The Rest of the Story Here

#175 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

Voter registration deadline was Monday, if I count 30 days correctly.

#176 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:09 PM

“Accuracy in Media Requested”

With the questionable tactics used during the last election, then add in all the shady deals of elections past rattling their chains surfacing at the most inopportune times for the opposition, does an honest person wanting to make changes for the betterment of the city ever have a chance in a political arena where anything goes?

I'm a bit disenchanted with the whole process, is it really democratic or does it just come down to who can spend the most money or spin the best rumors?

I’ve been in unions where letters were handed out with union picks for your votes, “i.e. pro union candidates” or discussions around Mass or sometimes during Mass on the best candidates. I’m not sure if I’ve seen a TV station such as ABC or CBS actually come out and say “Here’s the person ‘our station’ is voting for.”

I think most realize public media is biased in various ways, they may not come right out and say “You should vote for this guy period,” I think that would be the honest thing to do but that seldom gets the votes, it’s so much easier to publish all the candidates on a deceptively fair and unbiased stage and put their candidate of choice in the best light.

Can the democratic process work for anyone that will not stoop to underhanded shady practices in order to win an election?

"Tarrant DA is asked to investigate Election Day phone call
By ANTHONY SPANGLER
aspangler@star-telegram.com

A group of local Republicans is asking the Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office to investigate an Election Day phone call that critics say could have skewed the outcome of the Nov. 6 special election for Texas House of Representatives District 97.

Among those who requested the investigation are losing candidates Bob Leonard and James Dean Schull. Joining the request are two former Tarrant County Republican Party chairs and former state Rep. Anna Mowery, who supported Leonard in the race to fill her unexpired term, and state Rep. Charlie Geren, R-Fort Worth.

The three-page letter, received Monday by prosecutors, suggested that several Texas election laws were violated because the automated phone call was anonymous, sent before 9 a.m. and intended to “mislead voters by deceptively attacking one candidate.” The phone call said Leonard, a former state representative, voted to raise taxes and encouraged its recipients to vote against him.

Leonard finished third in the Nov. 6 election, with Democrat Dan Barrett and Republican Mark Shelton advancing to the runoff. Leonard was leading Shelton for second place by 149 after early voting returns, but finished 753 behind Shelton.

Assistant District Attorney Ann Diamond declined to comment Tuesday on the written request because she had not read the full report.
ANTHONY SPANGLER, 817-390-7420"

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#177 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:53 AM

I haven't heard much from the candidates since the Nov. 6 election ... no mailers, no phone calls, no volunteers knocking on my door. What gives? And I hope people actually go out and vote since the election date is Dec. 18 and really close to X-mas. I would recommend early voting cause it's going to be open the week before 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

#178 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE(Tony @ Nov 21 2007, 08:53 AM) View Post

I haven't heard much from the candidates since the Nov. 6 election ... no mailers, no phone calls, no volunteers knocking on my door. What gives? And I hope people actually go out and vote since the election date is Dec. 18 and really close to X-mas. I would recommend early voting cause it's going to be open the week before 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Does make one wonder, who really wants it bad enough. Who's willing to put their neck out on the line, who's got any money left and why there is no frontrunner already established. Though the prior endorsement of one may have already answered that. dry.gif

To me, it shows just how UNgrass roots these two candidates really were from the get go. I mean really, not even the FWST could answer what either one of these dudes stood for. What issues? Which is why I have a major problem with their "professional" editorial endorsement just being thrown out. I hate to admit it, but all that sloppiness and slight of hand sneakiness really made for an interesting last election.

I don't think either candidate left an indelible mark on the District with gaining NEW VOTERS or a NEW VOICE. And definitely not any NEW REGISTERED VOTERS. Now that is what stinks about our local politics.

Oh and BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Have a safe and memorable time with those you love, and with your food. I know I will. YUMMMMM!
www.iheartfw.com

#179 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:53 AM

Mud Lobbers
Unusual in a Cowtown race, District 9 candidates get their hands dirty.

By DAN MCGRAW
Fort Worth Weekly

Local city council races have generally followed the "Fort Worth Way" as politicos like to call it, with candidates and their handlers playing nice and keeping to a minimum all that underhanded stuff that they do in other cities: Don't attack your opponent, don't question character, and stick to the issues of crime prevention and sewer repair and economic development. Emphasize how you're for all of them equally.

But maybe the times they are a changin' in Cowtown. In the runoff for the District 9 Fort Worth City Council seat, opponents Joel Burns' and Juan Rangel's campaigns have exchanged a whole litany of attacks and accusations and even police reports. When current council member Wendy Davis announced she was stepping down earlier this year to pursue a Texas Senate seat, the opening created what Rangel calls "a very weird race."

The issues range from a flier giving false information to Hispanic voters to the use of "push-polling," to an attempt to link one of the two Democrats to Republican guru Karl Rove. And, in what may be a first for Fort Worth, a national gay rights group has become involved.

Article continues here.

Seems like the alternative weekly newspaper is on top of it, although I do have a little trouble figuring which events happened after the general election as opposed to before.

#180 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:54 PM

Well, for today. WHO CARES?

IPB Image

www.iheartfw.com

#181 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:16 AM

Hey, District 9! Time to wake up from the turkey and football and look into our election again.

One candidate has a Masters in Public Administration, has worked for the City of Fort Worth, and has served on a city board. He is currently in a policy-making position (School Board) that requires deep understanding of taxation, funding, and the issues associated with having thousands of employees.

Yesterday I was privileged to sit in as Juan Rangel met with two former FW mayors and a retired CEO from one of our leading companies. One thing that impressed me was how experience translates into confidence. Juan easily talked at their level: conceptual, big-picture thinking necessary for good leadership. But in other situations I've heard him also get down into the details of issues, ready to roll up his sleeves and solve problems.

The more I am around Juan Rangel the more I believe he will make a real difference for Fort Worth. His history shows he won't be flashy, but he'll work with the community and the other council members to be effective.

#182 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

I need to know how Juan and Joel feel about some of my most critically important issues, in no particular order:

1) Light rail
2) Urban gas drilling
3) Historic preservation
4) Smart growth & development
5) Promotion of local economy

I haven't heard enough satisfactory answers on these issues from anybody other than Bernie.

--

Kara B.

#183 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:26 PM

Ditto.
www.iheartfw.com

#184 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:36 AM

1) Even though it is not really a city-led project (The T is responsible for it) Juan is certainly in favor of light rail and commuter rail.
2) Juan believes that urban gas drilling is an experiment and should be approached with much more caution than has been exhibited, including a moratorium on drilling until the new committee completes its work. He also believes the previous committee did not have adequate representation of neighborhood and other community interests.
3) 4) 5) Certainly in favor of them all. Comes into the situation with many years of experience in making policy, not just acting on the moment. He has years of experience with tax policy and multi-million dollar budgets, too. What that means is he understands the tools at hand and also the way unexpected consequences can emerge.

#185 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE(ghughes @ Dec 8 2007, 08:36 AM) View Post

1) Even though it is not really a city-led project (The T is responsible for it) Juan is certainly in favor of light rail and commuter rail.

Light rail is most definitely city-led. The city will build it long before the T would be able to. The current proposal is for the city to build it, then turn it over to the T for operation.

--

Kara B.

#186 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for clarifying that, guess I've been away from that a bit too long. I hope the city will still turn to the transportation experts at The T during development. There's a lot of staff knowledge on the subject.

And let me clarify my gas comment because I misunderstood Juan's position. He wants a moratorium on injection wells and to reconstitute the task force to get stronger protection for residents. He has not proposed a moratorium on all drilling. I think he sees that as being overly broad.

#187 ghughes

ghughes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

Press Release Issued Today: JUAN RANGEL ON URBAN GAS DRILLING

Urban Gas Drilling Should be Safe, Rare and Respectful of Neighborhoods.

Barnett Shale offers unprecedented benefits and opportunities for the City of Fort Worth and its citizens. There are also risks. Juan Rangel believes in a balanced approach towards urban gas drilling that protects our neighborhoods while allowing for economic benefits. Therefore Juan is proposing the following measures to help Fort Worth and its citizens reap the full rewards from the Barnett Shale, while taking every step necessary to protect our quality of life.

Juan understands that while many residents of District 9 welcome the bonus and royalty checks that come from gas drilling, neighborhoods do not believe that such gas drilling activities should run rampant and compromise our quality of life. Above all, Juan believes urban gas drilling should be safe, rare and respectful of neighborhoods.

1) The Fort Worth Gas Drilling Task Force Should Be Reconstituted and Include New and Fresh Perspectives. In September, Juan Rangel called for the Gas Drilling Task Force to be reconstituted to address neighborhood and environmental concerns raised in recent months. Juan proposed that in addition to the representatives appointed by each council member, the Task Force should be expanded to include two at large members, one to represent neighborhoods and another charged with protecting Fort Worth’s environment. Shortly after Juan called for reconstituting the Gas Drilling Task Force, Juan was grateful that the City Council indicated that the Task Force would be reconstituted. Juan believes no issue should be off the table for the Gas Drilling Task Force. Juan believes that the Gas Drilling Task Force should focus on increasing protections for neighborhoods and our environment.

2) Fort Worth should Conduct a Comprehensive Environmental Impact Assessment of the Effects of Urban Natural Gas Drilling. Fort Worth’s Gas Well Ordinance was drafted without any assessment of the effects of gas well drilling on our urban environment. To safely and effectively conduct urban drilling, Fort Worth must perform a thorough assessment of the effects of drilling on our air, water, streets, homes, schools and economic engines. Juan believes that once we identify the risks and benefits created by urban drilling, Fort Worth will be better able to take appropriate action.

3) Fort Worth should Impose a Moratorium on Drilling within a 1,000 feet of the Trinity River and other water sources. Juan was the first candidate to call for a 1,000-foot moratorium on drilling within 1,000 feet of the Trinity River and other water sources. Juan initially made this proposal as a partial response to the concern over the proposed destruction of the Trinity Trees, although Juan’s primary reason for the proposal was to make sure our water sources were protected. Shortly after making the proposal, the City’s Development Director also proposed that drilling should not be allowed near the Trinity River.

4) The Fort Worth Gas Well Ordinance Should Include More Protections for Quality of Life. Gas drilling presents real risks from water pollution, air pollution, high traffic and road damage, not to mention the hazards of explosions like the one that rocked Forest Hill in 2006. As a City Council member, Juan hopes that the reconstituted Gas Drilling Task Force will support changes to our present ordinances and procedures for gas drilling in Fort Worth, including:

- A wider safety zone between gas wells and homes, hospitals, churches, and the Trinity River, of a distance recommended by a Comprehensive Environmental Impact Assessment. The safety zone should also be enforced near water sources and economic engines like the Trinity River Vision, Sundance Square, the Hospital District, the Museum District, and major traffic arteries. As a Fort Worth ISD Trustee, Juan has already advocated for a minimum of 1,000 between wells and schools (instead of the 600' zone currently in effect). While there may be rare situations where such limits are not necessary, there are others that require an even larger zone of protection. We need to find a protective zone that puts our safety first.

- Juan supports a ban on injection wells for disposal of frac water from the drilling process within Fort Worth city limits. This would protect Fort Worth's water supply. The City’s Environmental Director has stated that injection wells pose serious risks to our water supply. About 4.5 million gallons of water is used in the drilling and fracing processes, and at least 26 chemicals, including carcinogens, are used. If handled improperly, this highly polluted water will leak into our water supply. Juan believes that drillers should be encouraged to dispose of polluted wastewater through methods other than injection wells, such as recycling.

- A comprehensive system for mapping and overseeing the placement of natural gas pipelines. Juan wants the City to work with all gas companies and provide incentives so that gas companies would share pipelines, much as power lines are shared, to minimize impacts related to the proliferation of pipelines. Buried piping should also be identified with signs at the surface, to prevent damage by unrelated construction activities. These measures can limit the risk of the release of pressurized natural gas, explosions and fires caused by construction activity near unidentified pipelines. Juan believes the City should coordinate with gas companies to coordinate the placement of gas wells to limit as much as possible the duplication of gas drilling activities.

- Limits on the hours and days when drillers can drill and frac, to minimize the noise, light, air and traffic pollution from these activities. Also, drillers should pay for and conduct prompt road repairs for road damage caused by their trucks and equipment.

5) Gas Lease Equity - Juan supports the idea of a “minimum signing bonus” for all neighborhoods, to protect low-income residents from the disparity that has allowed wealthier, organized neighborhoods to reap large signing bonuses, while residents of low-income neighborhoods receive substantially smaller signing bonuses. Juan also supports the City sharing “model” lease provisions with the public, like those promulgated by the Joint Neighborhood Committee, to help residents become better informed when negotiating gas leases.

JUAN RANGEL: “URBAN GAS DRILLING SHOULD BE SAFE, RARE AND RESPECTFUL OF NEIGHBORHOODS”

Unlike his opponent, Juan has openly shared his ideas on gas well drilling, in detail, through campaign mailers, press releases, and his website, because he believes voters should know where the candidates stand on this important issue.

Juan believes we need a balanced approach to gas drilling, which allows Fort Worth to enjoy the economic benefits while protecting our families, neighborhoods and other vital interests. If you want urban gas drilling to be safe, rare, and respectful of neighborhoods, please support Juan Rangel for City Council.

#188 Tony

Tony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

Today is ... ELECTION DAY!!! Please remember to vote.

#189 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:42 AM

I think I'm going to have to join Bernie in throwing my support behind Joel this time around. I like his position on light rail more, and that's a deal breaker for me.

--

Kara B.

#190 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

As of 9:15 PM with 22 of 24 precints reporting, Joel Burns is the leader with 54.48% of the vote.

#191 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:34 PM

It's now 10:30 PM and the unofficial results are:

Candidate Votes Cast Percent of Votes
Joel Burns 1,796 54.08 percent
Juan Rangel 1,525 45.92 percent

#192 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:41 AM

Photos from Joel's watch party turned victory party last night. The West and Clear report is here:

http://westandclear....and-joel-burns/

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#193 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:25 PM

Just flew back in from Chicago. But had already decided to save my vote for another time.

Congrats.

And a GREAT JOB slap on the back to 'West and Clear' for being on it, honest and for keeping peeps like me ready and informed on the days news coverage when away from the ACTION packed city. wink.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#194 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:36 PM

Since I don't live anywhere near District 9, and many folks on the forum had a well qualified favorite over the course of this contest, I've kept my tongue (keyboard). But, on another level, the fact that Mr. Burns prevailed, and ultimately got the congrats of Mayor Moncrief, Wendy Davis, and even Mr. Silcox (he attended the victory party according to the gay blogs) makes me so proud of Fort Worth I want to break into a showtune. Good job, Cowtown! I knew you had it in ya'!

#195 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

I think the GOOD TIMES song is appropriate. My choice during times like these.
www.iheartfw.com

#196 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:02 AM

Davis eligibility to run for state Senate questioned

BY AMAN BATHEJA
ABATHEJA@STAR-TELEGRAM.COM

Democrat Wendy Davis’ eligibility to run for state Senate was called into question late Monday.

Three Fort Worth firefighters delivered a letter to Tarrant County Democratic Party Chairman Art Brender Monday afternoon calling on the party to disqualify Davis from running for state Senate because she is still a Fort Worth City Council member.

Click Here to read the rest of the story in the Star-Telegram.

#197 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Crisis averted?

Joel Burns sworn in as city councilman a week early

By ANTHONY SPANGLER

FORT WORTH -- Joel Burns was sworn in as a member of the Fort Worth City Council on Tuesday, a week earlier than planned, possibly clearing the way for his predecessor to run for the state Senate.

Click the title above for the rest of the story.

#198 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

Now THIS is INTERESTING STUFF!

Funny what a new year can do to a local paper.

The few last paragraphs in particular could raise some concern about Wendy Davis and her camp.
www.iheartfw.com

#199 Kyle Carr

Kyle Carr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (safly @ Jan 1 2008, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now THIS is INTERESTING STUFF!

Funny what a new year can do to a local paper.

The few last paragraphs in particular could raise some concern about Wendy Davis and her camp.

Here are those last few paragraphs:
Brender said he spoke with Davis' attorney late Monday after three firefighters issued their challenge to Davis' candidacy. The Fort Worth Firefighters Association has endorsed Brimer. Brimer's campaign representative is Bryan Eppstein, who worked for the firefighters in their recent successful bid to bargain collectively with the city.

Eppstein in December called Davis "an enemy of police officers and firefighters in Tarrant County."

Brender said he also notified the Texas Secretary of State's Office regarding challenge.

Yes, indeed, it is very interesting. I lived in Mistletoe Heights for eight years and knew Wendy Davis. An enemy of police officers and firefighters??? I don't think so. Brimer is a desperate man. Will be interesting to see what other desperate measures he resorts to.
Kyle Carr
LMRA Bicycle Club
www.lmrabicycleclub.com

#200 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:34 AM

Impromptu swearing in ceremony.