133 replies to this topic

#1 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

A friend in the restaurant business mentioned to me that Panera is looking to hire managers for a new location it is planning to open "across from Hulen Mall." His understanding is that this would be by the Conn's and Office Depot.

I don't see any vacant restaurant space on that side of Hulen, so the only two possibilities I can think of are:
1. That they'd build in the parking lot (seems like Conn's and Office Depot would oppose this)
2. That someone misunderstood, and that Panera would actually go be the third tenant in the mall's new restaurant plaza (Site plan)

Anyone have any rumors or educated guesses?

In other restaurant news for SW Fort Worth/Benbrook:
- Fuzzy's Taco Shop looks close to opening in the former El Arroyo (and Dickey's before that) on Bryant Irvin
- Dickey's, meanwhile, is moving in at Oakmont and Hulen. RIP, Chapps =(
- The Star-Telegram's Bud Kennedy reports that the building going up between Arby's and Starbucks on Hulen will be Raising Cane's, a Louisiana chicken chain
- The former TGI Fridays at Overton Plaza is becoming Bikinis Sports Bar & Grill: http://is.gd/bx9S6g
- 3 Parrots, a Granbury taco place that Fuzzy's accuses of stealing its recipes, will open in Benbrook in a strip center next to Verizon, across from Walmart: http://www.commercia...der.com/liq.htm

#2 sparq

sparq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

The manager at the University location mentioned it would be next to McDonalds - I am not quite familiar with that area [of location], except for Sprouts Farmers Market (cheap chicken and healthy essentials), when driving from the city center.

EDIT: being a third tenant in the so-called new restaurant plaza would make more sense.

#3 annrenee

annrenee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

The Weingarten site plan has removed Bikini Sports Bar and Grill from it's tenant list as of a few days ago when I checked.

#4 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

Taking Denny's out maybe?

#5 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:23 PM

The manager at the University location mentioned it would be next to McDonalds - I am not quite familiar with that area [of location], except for Sprouts Farmers Market (cheap chicken and healthy essentials), when driving from the city center.

EDIT: being a third tenant in the so-called new restaurant plaza would make more sense.

Next to McDonald's actually makes sense — the lot to the east (along the I-20 frontage road) could be where Panera is headed. It's empty now, but HistoricAerials shows that a building was there from at least 1979 through 2004. From some quick research online, it looks like it was most recently a music store — C&S, then Mr. E's, or vice versa — and, in the late '80s, a short-lived Cajun restaurant called Bodine's.

The Weingarten site plan has removed Bikini Sports Bar and Grill from it's tenant list as of a few days ago when I checked.

Good catch — I was looking at an outdated plan. Here's the new one, sans Bikinis: http://is.gd/wm3u85

#6 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

I agree with sparq. I think the mall location makes more sense for Panera, or any restaurant, as it offers better visibility. The old Mr. E's location is kind of down in hole, and on the one-way freeway service road. Either way, my wife will be thrilled with a Panera nearby.

Equally puzzling is Dickey's Bar-B-Que move. They closed their high visibility location in a freestanding building on heavily traveled Bryant Irvin. Now they are opening the old Chapp's spot in a strip mall behind a gas station?

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

I never saw any customers inside the Dickey's on Bryant Irvin. That is probably why they closed. As for their opening in Chapp's old spot, I would think that they probably wanted a location in the area and felt that there would be more traffic in that strip mall than what they had on Bryant Irvin. I'll pick Cousin's any day over Dickey's.

#8 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

Next to McDonald's actually makes sense — the lot to the east (along the I-20 frontage road) could be where Panera is headed. It's empty now, but HistoricAerials shows that a building was there from at least 1979 through 2004. From some quick research online, it looks like it was most recently a music store — C&S, then Mr. E's, or vice versa — and, in the late '80s, a short-lived Cajun restaurant called Bodine's.

Good catch — I was looking at an outdated plan. Here's the new one, sans Bikinis: http://is.gd/wm3u85

I remember the structure east of McDonald's being there when I first moved to Fort Worth six years ago. It resembled the old CoCo's restaurant chain architectural style. I remember going for a walk (I lived nearby) one time and peeking inside before the building was demolished. Sure didn't look like a CoCo's inside but the exterior still did. Perhaps it was a CoCo's originally and competed with Denny's. It does seems somewhat of an awkward spot for any restaurant to be, as the corner of Hulen and I-20 service road is crazy. People come out of the McDonald's trying to beat oncoming traffic onto the freeway ramp and it gets dicey at times.

I must confess I like Dickey's. No problems with Cousin's, but always liked Dickey's BBQ sauce...and I grew up in Dallas (another confession :) ). When Dickey's was on Bryant Irvin I always thought it was too close to Cousin's and further down the road. Folks looking for BBQ were likely to pop into Cousin's first, seeing it came before Dickey's and was closer to the freeway and mall. I remember the Dickey's owner name was Larry Box and I think he was a retired golf pro. He and his staff were always friendly when I went there and the place was clean, food good. Just didn't get enough traffic, apparently.

#9 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

My understanding that center is still on groud lease from casco and they get veto power on tenants. They were very angry over the hooters when they sold that fact then it was resold.

#10 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

I never saw any customers inside the Dickey's on Bryant Irvin. That is probably why they closed. As for their opening in Chapp's old spot, I would think that they probably wanted a location in the area and felt that there would be more traffic in that strip mall than what they had on Bryant Irvin. I'll pick Cousin's any day over Dickey's.

Agree with Cousins > Dickeys. I think that FW residents are biased that way, though, because isn't Dickey's based in Big D? That could be the biggest detriment to their business. Plenty of BBQ already, everyone already has their favorite, and local growth among meat eaters seems to be in burgers anyway. However, I *will* make the driver over to Bryant Irvin for Fuzzy's. It may be a bit out of the way, but I think it is enough of a destination restaurant to attract enough of a following in that part of town. Dickeys simply doesn't have that kind of pull.
My blog: Doohickie

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

Panera Bread is going into the shopping center where Conn's and Office Depot are located. They are going into an existing shell space and will be making minor changes to the exterior. Is the Big and Tall Men's Shop still open? I would think that is the only space left for them to lease.

#12 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:39 PM

Casual Male XL, 4621 S. Hulen St., is still open.

When you search the career opportunities at panera.com, it brings up a listing that reads, "New bakery-cafe Opening, 4613 S. Hulen St., Fort Worth, TX 76132." Conn's is at 4617 S. Hulen. Office Depot is at 4613 S. Hulen Suite B, which would suggest that the space is to the left (north) of Office Depot. I was at that Office Depot a week ago and didn't notice any activity. But the address on Panera's site does match what John has heard.

Meanwhile, at the property we've discussed above, on the frontage road next to McDonald's, there is a developer's/builder's sign indicating that a three- or four-tenant strip center will be built there.

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:25 PM

The only problem is that there is not a space north of the Office Depot. It is a parking lot. Even though I spent a lot of time in the building when Borders was there, I haven't been in the Conn's since it opened and I only have been in the Office Depot once. Is there a chance that when the spaces were remodeled for Conn's and Office Depot that there was another lease carved out between them? The Office Depot appears to be the same size as the old Linens-n-Things, and I was only in that space maybe twice. I also checked the addresses and Panera Bread is not moving into Denny's space.

#14 annrenee

annrenee

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

Maybe it's next to Ross--the old Color Tile spot.

#15 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

I've got the Panera Bread location figured out. On Labor Day, I was going by there in I-20 and I noticed that they were tearing off the stucco above the old north entrance to the Skaggs Alpha Beta store. I thought that may have something to do with Panera Bread. Today, I went to the center and into the Office Depot. They are now tearing off the entire projection where the old north entrance to the store used to be. Even though I had been inside the Office Depot before, I now noticed where the north wall of the store is located. It is on the north side of the entrance storefront. This leaves 2 concrete panel bays left over that was not leased. They are now working on the inside of that slim remaining space. That has to be Panera Bread. Also, there are no doors to this space on the west side of the building. There is one fire door on the north side, and that had to be the access into the unoccupied space. This also matches up with the address of Office Depot being 4613 S. Hulen, Suite B. Suite A is what was left that is becoming Panera Bread.

Now to get back on topic, I also went inside Hulen Mall today. They have painted the entire interior white and they have removed all of the old earth tone pavers. The new flooring is much lighter in color. The place looks nice on the inside.

#16 RPLS

RPLS

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking and Automobiles

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

John,

I saw the stucco being removed when I went through the McDonald's drive through the other day. Thought it was incredibly weird, but your explanation makes perfect sense!

Does anyone know why it is taking so long for Abuelo's to get going? My wife will be crushed if they back out. It's her favorite.

#17 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

Agree with Cousins > Dickeys. I think that FW residents are biased that way, though, because isn't Dickey's based in Big D? That could be the biggest detriment to their business. Plenty of BBQ already, everyone already has their favorite, and local growth among meat eaters seems to be in burgers anyway. However, I *will* make the driver over to Bryant Irvin for Fuzzy's. It may be a bit out of the way, but I think it is enough of a destination restaurant to attract enough of a following in that part of town. Dickeys simply doesn't have that kind of pull.

Yes, Fuzzy's on Bryant Irvin is doing a pretty brisk business. I like going there better than the original location by TCU.

#18 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'm wondering why they wont re-open that Joe's Crab Shack down the street....

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#19 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

My guess is that the franchisee went under, Joe's corporate would like to re-open in that location, but couldn't find a new franchisee and at this point will probably wait out the CTP construction.

#20 Corsicana33

Corsicana33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Cars, Six Flags, Architecture, Cooking, Roadtrips and Having Fun

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

The Arby's near the Hulen Walmart has closed and a Burger King will be taking its place. They are remodeling the building and Burger King has a now hiring sign up.

#21 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

The Arby's near the Hulen Walmart has closed and a Burger King will be taking its place. They are remodeling the building and Burger King has a now hiring sign up.

YES!

Burger King is coming back!!!

My favorite "McDonald's level" burger chain is finally coming back to this side of town!

7fwPZnE.png

#22 FarSouth

FarSouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

I have been wondering what was going there, kinda surprised to see Arby's leaving though.

#23 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

I have been wondering what was going there, kinda surprised to see Arby's leaving though.

I'm not... Arby's sucks.

7fwPZnE.png

#24 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Burger King used to be my favorite fast food place when I was a kid. After I got a little older, it became Whataburger. I haven't eaten at a Burger King in quite some time, since the company that had the franchises in Fort Worth went bankrupt and all of the restaurants closed down. However, recently I did eat at the ones in Granbury and Benbrook. Unfortunately, I thought the quality had really gone down hill and I didn't enjoy the food. At some point in time I will probably try this new location after it opens.

#25 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

I used to like "have it your way" at Burger King because a plain burger at McD's was such a hassle when I was a kid.  Now, there's no match for Whataburger in the fast food burger game...wheat buns, made to order.

#26 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

... Whataburger is pretty much 'meh' to me, now.  

7fwPZnE.png

#27 Corsicana33

Corsicana33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Cars, Six Flags, Architecture, Cooking, Roadtrips and Having Fun

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

I'm partial to a good Braum's Burger myself

#28 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

This has gone way off topic, but for me Burger King = Rancid Mayonnaise.   :cry:  (Yep, just once, but if you've know what I mean about food poisoning, the memory lasts forever.)

#29 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

I split this thread from the original topic.

#30 researchfrog

researchfrog

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Braums is also my go-to burger for fast food. I personally prefer Charley's burgers, but with the 15 minute drive and the price, I usually do without.

#31 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I don't consider Whataburger to be fast food, primarily because it is anything but fast, but it is my favorite chain, drive-thru burger. 

Of the actual fast-ish ones I like (in descending order): In and out, Dairy Queen, Sonic, Mc Donald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Carl's Jr/Hardee's, White Castle.  I didn't list Steak 'n Shake and a few others because I don't have enough experience with them.  I'm actually not a huge fan of the McDonald's burger, but they are at least incredibly consistent which is sometimes important.  I like Braum's a lot, but it varies so much from store to store I didn't know where to list them.

To keep this on topic, I also want to try the new Burger King when it opens.

#32 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

It's already open I think.

#33 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

The old Johnny Carino's on Hulen has been leveled. The pole sign remains to allow the new building to use it.

#34 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:01 AM

The old Johnny Carino's on Hulen has been leveled. The pole sign remains to allow the new building to use it.

I guess that's what happens when you build such a custom building.  It must have been a little intimidating to potential tenants.

#35 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

That building has been gone for quite some time now. 

I don't know if I'm more surprised that no one reported this sooner or that Carino's was significant enough for someone to post about it being leveled. 

I went there like once and didn't get anything. 

7fwPZnE.png

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

I avoid Hulen Street, so that is why I had not seen the cleared site. It's really not very significant except that we did have a thread for changes in the restaurants in the area.

#37 double

double

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

Sorry I missed this thread when it started 4.5 years ago... but I did.  Now that it's been "reactivated" so to speak, I saw the comment by Art Cooler about the vacant lot next to the McDonald's and how it resembled the architectural style of a Coco's.  That's close - it was actually a Reuben's restaurant, which was affiliated with Coco's.  According to Wikipedia, Reubens were often co-located on Coco's properties, but I believe this one was a standalone.  Even though, I think at one time, the Denny's site was a Coco's (and after that a JoJo's) before it became a Denny's.  After the Reuben's closed, there may have been one other restaurant there before the site became a music shop. 

#38 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

According to Bud Kennedy, Meso Maya will move into Trinity Commons on Hulen, taking the place of Rockfish.

https://twitter.com/...509039504404489

• JBB likes this

#39 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

That will be a good fit for that area. There's not much (if any) in the way of that type of food between Bellaire and Vickery.

#40 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:09 PM

Yay, a new lunch spot for the ranch.

#41 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:49 PM

I stopped by The Press Cafe today, in Edwards Ranch between Hulen and Bryant Irvin.  Good drinks, good food, prices a little higher than I normally pay, but that's progress I guess.  It was really good, and the restaurant is really cool.  Supposedly this place is run by the same people that run The Tavern (which I have no experience with). 

Apparently during peak hours (lunch & dinner) this place is packed; I heard someone say they were told a 1.5 hour wait.  Hopefully that means there's demand for more cool venues like this along the river.

This is how the Trinity Trails should be incorporated into a restaurant:

12417636_927239967324894_256903792099691

And this is what a $13 burger looks like:

12647063_927239923991565_566876050734049

#42 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

Went yesterday for a second time--did not eat this time, just had a drink and enjoyed the wonderful day.  It was packed and the wait for a eating table was 45 minutes.

There will be a second level for dining/drinks that they have not opened up just yet.  That should make the wait times better as the summer months come along.

I really like this place and the westsider drink is awesome.

#43 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:51 PM

Appears that outback is taking over the former black eyed pea on Bryant Irvin and 20

#44 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:08 AM

Ugh.

#45 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:31 AM

Seems a waste to invest in the old BEP space when they are already in a space now--especially in a business that is slowly dying as middle class folks are cutting back on expenses.

#46 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

The critically acclaimed Fuego Burger will open on South Hulen, Bud Kennedy reports. http://www.star-tele...e188447494.html

I think this address was once a Philly cheesesteak place and Which Wich before that, kind of across from Wal-Mart.

#47 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:52 PM

The critically acclaimed Fuego Burger will open on South Hulen, Bud Kennedy reports. http://www.star-tele...e188447494.html

I think this address was once a Philly cheesesteak place and Which Wich before that, kind of across from Wal-Mart.

I miss Which Wich...

7fwPZnE.png

#48 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

Appears that outback is taking over the former black eyed pea on Bryant Irvin and 20

Actually, there is a Boomer Jacks in that building now.

I miss Which Wich...

I didn't realize they were gone.  My son spent a few soul-sucking months working there.  I don't think he's had a job he liked less.

As long as we're talking about Hulen, Pearl Snap Kolaches opened their second location this weekend, apparently near Trader Joe's.  I haven't had a chance to check out the new location yet.

#49 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

Torchy's on Hulen will open February 6. It's at the old Cotton Patch site, in front of Stein Mart. https://torchystacos...n-february-6th/

#50 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Cotton Patch had to be the most vanilla, non-descript comfort food restaurant ever.  There was absolutely nothing on their menu that stuck out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Southwest FW, Hulen Street, Bryant Irvin Rd., Restaurants, Fast Food

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users