#51 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (AndyN @ Jan 24 2010, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, my stomach tightens every time I see you update this thread. I keep worrying that I am going to read someone has bought it before I win the lottery.

Andy,
I wouldn't be too worried. Although there has been a lot of foot traffic going to the Garvey House, according to the Kelley Brothers, they have yet to receive a single serious offer on it. I think that the neighborhood real estate "boom", if there ever was one on Samuels Avenue, is now turning dormant and probably will be for a while. What will happen five years from now is anybody's guess, but I see the development on the south end of Samuels levelling off and no new projects breaking ground for some time. However, the recent demo of the Community Center building, on Peach st. near Samuels, has exposed some fresh dirt, so maybe something will go in there soon.

#52 kksmith

kksmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

I enjoyed reading all of your posts about the houses on Samuels Anvenue.

On another thread (and before seeing this thread), I had seen a reference to Samuels Avenue as being one of the oldest steets in Fort Worth, so I had to go see it. When I was in Fort Worth recently, I went to see the street. My reaction: I was happy to see all the history, but sort of sad to see that many of the houses are not in the best shape.

I have two questions:

1. There are a number of new multifamily units on the street (close to the downtown end of the street). I assumed that they were, or at least included, "affordable housing", meaning that some type of special financing was used for the development and construction costs, in return for the developer agreeing that some or all of the units would be rented or sold to folks at or below a certain income level. But maybe my asumption was incorrect. Anybody know?

2. Villa de Leon really stood out. I am assuming that the timing for that project turned out to be really poor. Units starting at $786,000? That would be in the $300 to $400 psf range, I assume. If they did not sell out early, they may have a long wait before the last of the units are sold.

No offense intended to anyone. Best of luck to anyone who lives or owns property in the area. Again, I enjoyed all the discussion on this thread.

#53 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

The new apartments in the Trinity Bluff section (nearest to Downtown) are all market rate apartments and for sale town houses. The townhouses sell for the $300-400K range and the apartments rent somewhere in the $1.10-1.50/SF range. They have been offering aggressive specials recently as a ton of new apartments came on line at the exact same time, including some of those on Samuels Avenue. There is an affordable housing apartment complex near the northern end of the Samuels Avenue neighborhood.

QUOTE (kksmith @ Mar 7 2010, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I enjoyed reading all of your posts about the houses on Samuels Anvenue.

On another thread (and before seeing this thread), I had seen a reference to Samuels Avenue as being one of the oldest steets in Fort Worth, so I had to go see it. When I was in Fort Worth recently, I went to see the street. My reaction: I was happy to see all the history, but sort of sad to see that many of the houses are not in the best shape.

I have two questions:

1. There are a number of new multifamily units on the street (close to the downtown end of the street). I assumed that they were, or at least included, "affordable housing", meaning that some type of special financing was used for the development and construction costs, in return for the developer agreeing that some or all of the units would be rented or sold to folks at or below a certain income level. But maybe my asumption was incorrect. Anybody know?

2. Villa de Leon really stood out. I am assuming that the timing for that project turned out to be really poor. Units starting at $786,000? That would be in the $300 to $400 psf range, I assume. If they did not sell out early, they may have a long wait before the last of the units are sold.

No offense intended to anyone. Best of luck to anyone who lives or owns property in the area. Again, I enjoyed all the discussion on this thread.

#54 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

And yet another photo of this interesting home. Was getting pretty dark by the time I walked there tonight but still got a few shots off.

PS. I Originally posted this to the wrong thread. Another house on Samuels. (Thanks John)

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#55 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

Thanks Brian for another beautiful photo of one of my favorite Fort Worth houses. Today, the house seems like it has been on the market almost forever. While to some the $2 million dollar asking price may seem unrealistic, when and if development resumes on Samuels Avenue (i.e. when the economy recovers) the multi-acre 769 Samuels site will be a choice location. The owners have indicated a lot of flexibility lately on the selling price but despite a couple of fairly serious inquiries, the landmark Fort Worth home remains unsold and continuing to deteriorate. I worry about this one as it seems to be going down the same path as it's vanished neighbor, the former Isaac Foster house which was built in 1882 and demolished a few years ago. Mrs. Garvey was Isaac and Mary Cornelia Samuel-Foster's daughter and Mary Samuel-Foster was Baldwin Samuel's daughter.

I had a c. 1901 photo of the Garvey House, courtesy of the Brenda Kelley Estate which I'll try to post here. Since it was only about a 1 by 1 inch thumbnail photo in the booklet by Charles Swartz , the definition in this larger version is pretty limited. The Garvey House is essentially the same today except the ornamental widow's walk on the roof is gone and the back porch seen in the early photo, was later enclosed. Of the Fort Worth residences featured in the Swartz "Views" booklet, only three remain today. (the Balle-Eddleman-McFarland house, the John F. Swayne house, and the former Garvey mansion) The Garvey house is the only one still used as a residence.

Posted Image"]Garvey House 1901[/url](link does not work) :angry2:

Hmm...I find I can no longer upload photos from my flickr account-both the FW Forum and Flickr changed their format so my apologies...if I could only upload directly from my hard drive.

#56 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:11 PM

I took these shots on Saturday Morning. (At 4am and then back at 7am) Was I scared to be over there at 4am by myself. You betya.
But only a sweet cat visited me. Was quiet and peaceful. Not saying it is smart to be out in the middle of the night with 10k in camera gear in my backpack. I am out in the dark all the time with my gear. I never have problems. I do understand it just takes once but I am not going to stop. This is more my city than the bad-guy's. (I am paying for those streets I walk) I do think Samuels Ave. is looking great. If I had any nerve at all I would be looking to purchase this old house. Too many variables for me. I think it will need to be purchased by somebody that has done that kind of thing before. Not saying that buying it does not cross my mind as a long shot. I love the property and the view. I love the house, understanding I have never actually been in it.

This first photo was at 4:15am. It is funny, because if you are good with astronomy, you know it could only be 4:15am. The moon is only in that phase in that place at one time. 4:15am. I played with my LED bar trying to get a little light on the old house. Had very mixed results but learned a few things for next trip.
Posted Image

Posted Image

And back at 7am
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#57 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

I always admire your ambition and your innovation as a photographer. :)

Bruce Burton

#58 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

Thank you very much. I do enjoy setting up a photo moment.

I took this photo of this grand house this morning before work. (Christmas request) Needed pretty much this exact shot and lighting. Unfortunately I also needed some of the Fall color of a week ago. Figured I was going to miss it. Oh well. There will be other years. I hope.

Playing with this goofy frame software. It is the kind of thing where the first one you see, you say "Wow, that is really nice" By the fifth one you say "shoot me." This is my first.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#59 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:21 PM

Thank you very much. I do enjoy setting up a photo moment.

Great photos, Brian!!! So you were the guy walking around at 4 AM that we almost called the cops to check out!? Just kidding... Samuels Avenue is relatively safe as urban Fort Worth neighborhoods go, not that in the 21 years my wife and I have lived here we haven't seen a few strange things. If you or any other forum viewers are serious about looking at the Garvey House I can probably get you in for an interior look. The Kelley Bros. are really wanting to see a new caring owner(s) buy this unique house and property; they have candidly told me they are very negotiable on the price. We may be seeing some life coming back into the real estate market as the most recent reports from October show a 10% increase over a year ago. Also, the Historic Fort Worth's "most endangered" 1885 Getzendaner House (760 Samuels) across the street is now listed with a realtor and the price dropped by $50,000 (down to $199k) Even our property at 823 Samuels is now For Sale by Owners and I can only say that a contract offer from a developer we turned down as being too low would now likely be accepted. Great opportunities today for someone to own some pieces of early Fort Worth history. Thank you very much for these unusual photos, Brian, and please let me know by PM if you ever want a Garvey House interior tour. I'll be happy to set it up for you.

#60 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

Posted Image

Another attempt to post a circa 1900 image of the Garvey House. The image was in Charles Swartz's 1901 Views of Fort Worth. Given this is blown up from a thumbnail size image a higher resolution was not possible. Remarkable that the house has changed so little in over 100 years.

#61 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

Timeless!

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#62 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:46 PM

Posted Image

Another attempt to post a circa 1900 image of the Garvey House. The image was in Charles Swartz's 1901 Views of Fort Worth. Given this is blown up from a thumbnail size image a higher resolution was not possible. Remarkable that the house has changed so little in over 100 years.

A mere 110 years later...
Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#63 mssuzieq

mssuzieq

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Well yesterday while out being a tourist in my own town, we stopped by this house just to see it... I am curious about a few things.... Is someone living in it? If so, then they are living in a home where numerous windows are broken out... Looking in the windows it appears that someone stays there but considering what the temps have been like, I cannot imagine that it is a comfortable stay. There appears to be numerous personal items left in the home. Considering the lack of security, I would hate to see anything happen to them.. There are two houses directly behind the big home, they both appeared to be open, with doors open and very run down but I thought the property attached to the big house ran all the way back? There was a pickup parked out back of the gate and the back door was open but no one responded when we called out... we didn't go in, but, I would LOVE to see the upstairs... I am sure the staircase is still stunning..
Sometimes it takes more than one tank of gas in your bike to clear your head....

#64 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Well yesterday while out being a tourist in my own town, we stopped by this house just to see it... I am curious about a few things.... Is someone living in it? If so, then they are living in a home where numerous windows are broken out... Looking in the windows it appears that someone stays there but considering what the temps have been like, I cannot imagine that it is a comfortable stay. There appears to be numerous personal items left in the home. Considering the lack of security, I would hate to see anything happen to them.. There are two houses directly behind the big home, they both appeared to be open, with doors open and very run down but I thought the property attached to the big house ran all the way back? There was a pickup parked out back of the gate and the back door was open but no one responded when we called out... we didn't go in, but, I would LOVE to see the upstairs... I am sure the staircase is still stunning..

Ms. Suzie Q.;

Thanks for the questions...maybe its time for an update about the 1890's Queen Anne style Garvey House. Unfortunately, it continues to deteriorate. One of the two Kelley brothers lives in the main house and the other in one of the garage apartments in the back which is also part of the property. It's my undertanding that the brother who lives in the main house stays primarily in the back rooms where his late Mother also often spent her time. Don't expect either brother to offer tours as the house is still listed with a realtor and it is her job to determine who gets to tour the house. As interesting as it might be to imagine the inside nicely furnished in period Victorian splendor, the house is almost devoid of furnishings and nothing inside is of significant value except the house itself. Ditto for the garage apartments. While I believe both of the brothers can take care of their security, what concerns me the most is the on-going decline of the house towards eventual oblivion. It's not a case of intentional demolition by neglect but two older brothers who simply lack the resources to maintain their late parent's home. (the former 1882 Italianate style mansion once owned by Mrs. Garvey's parents next door at 761 Samuels-now a vacant lot-was allowed to deteriorate from neglect until demolition was the only option considered feasible) The solution to save the Garvey house obviously is a sale of the property to someone with enough wherewithal to properly maintain the landmark. It is still listed for sale at $2 million but I know that price is not set in stone and despite its apparent "blue sky" component, the Samuels Avenue neighborhood is still poised for massive redevelopment in the future. The Trinity River Town Lake project is still chugging along and unless all federal funding is cut off, (unlikely at this late stage in the project) it should be a reality in a few more years. The Garvey House will have valuable lakefront access. Its true that new development has tapered off since local developer Tom Struhs was reported to have lost his Villa De Leon to Dallas lenders. However, lenders usually do not want to be in the real estate business so it remains to be seen by who and when redevelopment will resume on Samuels Avenue. A rumor I heard (unverified) was that Lincoln Park Apartments were looking at building more units across from Charles E. Nash elementary sometime in the near future. There are two other Victorian era homes for sale nearby at 760 and 823 respectively. I noticed the price of 760 Samuels, perhaps better known here as the Getzendaner House (see separate message thread on it) has been dropped again to $165k. In any case, Samuels Avenue needs a major investor who will integrate the more important surviving historic homes into any redevelopment plans. The Garvey House is a state and local landmarked home but such protection cannot protect it from neglect. It's at the point right now where repairs and maintenance that can be done relatively inexpensively will soon become far more problematic and costly. If I won the lottery, I'd buy it and restore it myself but like the Kelleys, our resources are limited. There are a couple of staircase photos on the listing by Realty Professionals of Texas. Anyone who buys and maintains the Garvey-Veihl-Kelley House will perpetually be a "preservation hero" in my book. We will be less of a community if this important Victorian home is lost to neglect. Fort Worth is already somewhat known for its lack of surviving 19th century architecture. Samuels Avenue has some of the last examples remaining in the city still within a residential context. If you really want a tour, please contact the (very busy) real estate agent with the listing. Better yet, please buy this landmark house while its still standing...

#65 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Thanks, John S. I always enjoy reading your updates. I wish I had some money to invest in the house, but I would also have to win the lottery, and I don't even play it. Please keep us informed if any developments occur.

#66 mssuzieq

mssuzieq

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

Ms. Suzie Q.;

Thanks for the questions...maybe its time for an update about the 1890's Queen Anne style Garvey House. Unfortunately, it continues to deteriorate. One of the two Kelley brothers lives in the main house and the other in one of the garage apartments in the back which is also part of the property. It's my undertanding that the brother who lives in the main house stays primarily in the back rooms where his late Mother also often spent her time. Don't expect either brother to offer tours as the house is still listed with a realtor and it is her job to determine who gets to tour the house. As interesting as it might be to imagine the inside nicely furnished in period Victorian splendor, the house is almost devoid of furnishings and nothing inside is of significant value except the house itself. Ditto for the garage apartments. While I believe both of the brothers can take care of their security, what concerns me the most is the on-going decline of the house towards eventual oblivion. It's not a case of intentional demolition by neglect but two older brothers who simply lack the resources to maintain their late parent's home. (the former 1882 Italianate style mansion once owned by Mrs. Garvey's parents next door at 761 Samuels-now a vacant lot-was allowed to deteriorate from neglect until demolition was the only option considered feasible) The solution to save the Garvey house obviously is a sale of the property to someone with enough wherewithal to properly maintain the landmark. It is still listed for sale at $2 million but I know that price is not set in stone and despite its apparent "blue sky" component, the Samuels Avenue neighborhood is still poised for massive redevelopment in the future. The Trinity River Town Lake project is still chugging along and unless all federal funding is cut off, (unlikely at this late stage in the project) it should be a reality in a few more years. The Garvey House will have valuable lakefront access. Its true that new development has tapered off since local developer Tom Struhs was reported to have lost his Villa De Leon to Dallas lenders. However, lenders usually do not want to be in the real estate business so it remains to be seen by who and when redevelopment will resume on Samuels Avenue. A rumor I heard (unverified) was that Lincoln Park Apartments were looking at building more units across from Charles E. Nash elementary sometime in the near future. There are two other Victorian era homes for sale nearby at 760 and 823 respectively. I noticed the price of 760 Samuels, perhaps better known here as the Getzendaner House (see separate message thread on it) has been dropped again to $165k. In any case, Samuels Avenue needs a major investor who will integrate the more important surviving historic homes into any redevelopment plans. The Garvey House is a state and local landmarked home but such protection cannot protect it from neglect. It's at the point right now where repairs and maintenance that can be done relatively inexpensively will soon become far more problematic and costly. If I won the lottery, I'd buy it and restore it myself but like the Kelleys, our resources are limited. There are a couple of staircase photos on the listing by Realty Professionals of Texas. Anyone who buys and maintains the Garvey-Veihl-Kelley House will perpetually be a "preservation hero" in my book. We will be less of a community if this important Victorian home is lost to neglect. Fort Worth is already somewhat known for its lack of surviving 19th century architecture. Samuels Avenue has some of the last examples remaining in the city still within a residential context. If you really want a tour, please contact the (very busy) real estate agent with the listing. Better yet, please buy this landmark house while its still standing...

Well if he is living in it, he is certainly uncomfortable... there are a number of windows on the lower portion of the home that are broken out...The interior of the home was completely derelict with trash and clothing strewn about the floors with food standing on the counter from what we could see through the window... I am not sure there is even electricity from the looks of it... I even mentioned that it appeared to be a homeless person camping out in there... It does concern me that there is apparently some fine china still in the "dining room" on the wall and obviously a few family treasures still on the walls... I would certainly hate to think of the loss as the old house just dies.. It always breaks my heart to see a home of such class and history decline as a result of lack of money or care... If I was in a position to, I would love to take that home... the foundation is solid as the skeleton appears to be.. I am sure she would have to be skinned and remade but imagine the treasure she would be if someone would.... Thank you for your update... I do know that there is a real estate listing but maybe they need to advertise it? I have scoured the historic homes for sale sites and it wasn't listed on there...
Sometimes it takes more than one tank of gas in your bike to clear your head....

#67 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

"Well if he is living in it, he is certainly uncomfortable... there are a number of windows on the lower portion of the home that are broken out...The interior of the home was completely derelict with trash and clothing strewn about the floors with food standing on the counter from what we could see through the window... I am not sure there is even electricity from the looks of it... I even mentioned that it appeared to be a homeless person camping out in there... It does concern me that there is apparently some fine china still in the "dining room" on the wall and obviously a few family treasures still on the walls... I would certainly hate to think of the loss as the old house just dies.. It always breaks my heart to see a home of such class and history decline as a result of lack of money or care... If I was in a position to, I would love to take that home... the foundation is solid as the skeleton appears to be.. I am sure she would have to be skinned and remade but imagine the treasure she would be if someone would.... Thank you for your update... I do know that there is a real estate listing but maybe they need to advertise it? I have scoured the historic homes for sale sites and it wasn't listed on there..."

All the things you noted are accurate as sadly neither brother has the resources their late parents once had. I think the electricity is still on but can't confirm it. The aforementioned deceased adjacent neighbor of the now vacant lot descended into real poverty after the parents' died (the neighbor died at age 57) and I hope that sad scenario is not repeated here. It's somewhat ironic that a sale of the house would restore both brothers back to relative prosperity but until that happens they must try to meet their needs as best as they can. As for the Garvey house listing, it was on the Old House Dreams blogsite which has over 1,500 old house listings (both active and sold) across the U.S.. It has a search feature where you can type in the State (Texas) and house style (Queen Anne) and the Garvey House will come up. As for the Garvey House's potential, many proposed uses have been offered: as a bed & breakfast establishment; a corporate retreat-hospitality house; a wedding chapel, law or accounting offices; and of course, a high Victorian style residence near the heart of downtown Fort Worth that will have future lakefront access to the town lake. But Fort Worthians seem to prefer the new over the old and some people still remember when Samuels Avenue was a fairly marginal neighborhood years ago. To find someone willing to make a million dollar plus investment in something old rather than new in this oldest of Fort Worth neighborhoods is challenging.

#68 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

8368767588_d09a876710.jpg
Copy of Samuels fence 002 by vintrest, on Flickr

8368767626_d57d0a9dc8.jpg

8368767552_5110b9042d.jpg

Troubling news: the recent (Jan) rains have weakened the fine rusticated stone retaining wall at the Garvey House (769 Samuels Avenue) to the point where it has partially collapsed. I hope the 3 photos I'm trying to upload will "take". The endangered Garvey House is now inching closer to its demise. I talked to one of the owners today and he said they would try to do something but it will require a crew with experience in stone wall rebuilding to put this one back, IMO.

I noticed the snippets of BB code and don't know how to remove them-maybe you could, John Roberts? Anyhow, the photos tell the story better than I can.

Edited by John T Roberts, 10 January 2013 - 10:22 PM.
Removed Snippets of BB Code

#69 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Man, I wish I could find the funds to restore the house. Perhaps live in it while it's being restored, then move out to make it a historic house to be visited and celebrate Fort Worth's Heritage.

#70 earlbutkus

earlbutkus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Local history and historic sites

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

I had a chance to tour the house and thought you might enjoy some inside shots (and bluff):

th_20090226_100DesktopResolution.jpg

th_20090226_38DesktopResolution.jpg

View from the bluff below (included in the 3+ acre site)
th_20090226_129DesktopResolution.jpg

Poor rail is often lost in the beauty of the house...
th_20090226_14DesktopResolution.jpg

Full Album:
http://s486.photobuc.....rvey Mansion/

Really nice photos! The interior is more impressive than the exterior. This house deserves to be fully restored to its original glory.

#71 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

I think about the Garvey House often. I know that today a realtor took some people in to see it between 3 and 4 PM. Considering how hot it was at that time of day in the large non-air conditioned house, both the realtor and his clients must have had some major endurance stamina. In the meantime, the former Getzendaner House across the street (760 Samuels) sports a fresh new vintage look and new paint colors. The new owners have not moved in yet. I deeply sympathize with the crew working inside hanging drywall in this high heat. I'd always believed that someone buying the Garvey House to restore would then inspire someone else to buy and renovate the Getzendaner House. (c. 1885) Now the situation is oddly reversed-I'm hoping the investment being made in the Getzendaner House might inspire someone to buy and restore the Garvey House...Hey, whatever works. I know the Garvey House owners/brothers are motivated to sell but only they and their agent can determine the acceptable selling price. It has been frequently discussed of late about the lack of historic preservation commitment in Fort Worth. The deteriorating Garvey House is a glaring example. It's one of the most prominent remaining 19th century homes in Fort Worth and has a rich, well-documented history connecting it to the Trinity River, Samuel's Avenue, and the City itself. Sad to see it declining towards oblivion because there are so many potential and useful purposes to consider for the house besides using it solely as a private residence. (some potential uses: wedding chapel, law offices, organizational offices, corporate retreat or out of town corporate visitor's lodging, an upscale bed & breakfast-the huge surrounding lot also means lots of room for parking and expansion on the back if needed; it also has considerable future development value because the wide long lot goes down to the proposed Town Lake shoreline in the back) The ailing Garvey House is not yet too far gone to save but small needed repairs will inevitably snowball into big expensive repairs over time. Since finding a well-heeled or investor type buyer seems so elusive, would someone please win the lottery and then save it? (soon!) Maybe we could all chip in and buy it for our use as a Timeshare? Other ideas? C'mon folks!

#72 Runninlow

Runninlow

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:True Classics CC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:26 AM

I had a chance to tour the house and thought you might enjoy some inside shots (and bluff):

th_20090226_100DesktopResolution.jpg

th_20090226_38DesktopResolution.jpg

View from the bluff below (included in the 3+ acre site)
th_20090226_129DesktopResolution.jpg

Poor rail is often lost in the beauty of the house...
th_20090226_14DesktopResolution.jpg

Full Album:
http://s486.photobuc.....rvey Mansion/

Beautiful house, Their is a lot of detail, and the view from the bluff is awesome.

#73 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

The powerball is over $250 mil right now. If I win, this is the first thing I buy.

#74 Lobster Eastside

Lobster Eastside

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

And yet another photo of this interesting home. Was getting pretty dark by the time I walked there tonight but still got a few shots off.

PS. I Originally posted this to the wrong thread. Another house on Samuels. (Thanks John)

Fusion1388.jpg

This photo is beautiful and just a little creepy at the same time.....incredible shot!

#75 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

I really appreciate these folks who leave comments behind this article from the Fort Worth Weekly article  http://www.fwweekly..../shaky-history/   which is about all the tear-downs going on city-wide. They claim the $2 million dollar asking price for the Garvey House is a "rip-off". First, I've repeatedly stressed the Garvey House price is flexible and negotiable. (since I know the owners well) On a per square footage basis. developers have paid higher amounts for comparable land on Samuels Avenue. If and when the Town Lake is nearing completion, lakefront access like the Garvey House property will sell for a big premium. How much are the sellers asking for the vacant land next door? (due south of the Garvey House at 761 Samuels) Does the next door vacant lot include river frontage? (I'd almost bet its not for the reasons I just mentioned) While the Getzendaner house across the street (760 Samuels) sold for far less, the new owners have put a ton of money into it not to mention an almost unbelievable amount of work. Anyhow, I respect everyone's right to express their opinion but would also appreciate if they would look into the specifics before condemning a property's asking price as a "rip-off". I'd opine if it were their property they might be asking even more.  I'm glad the highly endangered Garvey House continues to be highlighted in the local press and I still cling to the hope that someone out there has the guts and wherewithal to take on a project of that magnitude. If they do it right, they would become forever preservation heroes in my mind. As the article mentions, the fate of the Garvey House (and many other endangered historic Ft. Worth properties) remains uncertain and the clock keeps ticking away.

#76 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Some brief updates about the Garvey House: First, the brother-owners have been cleaning up the property working in front of the house (I volunteered a couple of hours of landscaping work today clearing out rogue vines) Some China-berry trees and invasive vines or thorny briars are now gone making the entry look far more inviting. Rumor has it that the property may soon have a new realtor and perhaps with that may come different pricing but any speculation on my part would be premature at this point. Landscaping clean up however will continue (I've volunteered some additional hours) as long the weather permits it. On the negative side, metal salvage thieves have recently stolen the sections of ornamental iron fencing that were taken and placed in the yard for safe-keeping after part of the stone retaining wall collapsed last year. I believe the classic spear-point design is still made so while not a catastrophic loss its bothersome nonetheless. Perhaps someone merely wanted a "souvenir" from the Garvey house but scrap metal collectors drive through the neighborhood from time to time. I recall once putting an old washing machine out by the curb and it was being loaded and carted off within 3 minutes after placing it there. Wish they would leave the Garvey House alone, though...

#77 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Some great news to share: the Garvey House, a Fort Worth Landmark from day one, has had its listing price drop from $2,000,000 down to a more affordable $980,000. (keeping in mind the large property's choice location and historic uniqueness)

New realtor now as well: Keith Gibson with DFW Coldwell Banker http://www.cbdfw.com/keithgibson  I've met him personally and found him respectful of this unique property's history as well as being very cordial and knowledgeable. The brother-owners have been cleaning up the property as well which is reflected in the recent photos. Interior photos are being taken today and will be posted on the listing site in the next couple of days. At this much lower price (more than a 50% price cut)  I expect there will be a lot more interest in the coming days. New construction continues unimpeded on Samuels Avenue and with Trinity Riverfront access and adjacent lots to either side of the Garvey house being investor owned I hope this will finally bring forth someone who will restore this historic home which has been considered a Fort Worth Landmark from day one.

The former c. 1885 Getzendaner House across the street at 760 Samuels and 1870's former Bennett-Fenelon House at 731 Samuels have recently been renovated and received Historic Preservation awards. Here's hoping the 1890's Garvey Queen Anne style home will be the next award winner...

#78 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

Some brief updates about the Garvey House: First, the brother-owners have been cleaning up the property working in front of the house (I volunteered a couple of hours of landscaping work today clearing out rogue vines) Some China-berry trees and invasive vines or thorny briars are now gone making the entry look far more inviting. Rumor has it that the property may soon have a new realtor and perhaps with that may come different pricing but any speculation on my part would be premature at this point. Landscaping clean up however will continue (I've volunteered some additional hours) as long the weather permits it. On the negative side, metal salvage thieves have recently stolen the sections of ornamental iron fencing that were taken and placed in the yard for safe-keeping after part of the stone retaining wall collapsed last year. I believe the classic spear-point design is still made so while not a catastrophic loss its bothersome nonetheless. Perhaps someone merely wanted a "souvenir" from the Garvey house but scrap metal collectors drive through the neighborhood from time to time. I recall once putting an old washing machine out by the curb and it was being loaded and carted off within 3 minutes after placing it there. Wish they would leave the Garvey House alone, though...

If yall need some help with clean up. I am down on the weekends!  You can message me here. I would love to go help out with what ever is needed. Man I love this house. Ever since I was a kid.... ROCK ISLAND!!!

ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#79 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

A brief update: Despite a price reduction of over 50% to $980k from the previous $2 million, a recent offer was for far lower; it was countered and the potential buyer balked. I advised one of the sellers who has long been a close neighbor and friend of mine to not give the Garvey House away despite my sincerest wishes to see it bought and restored as the Gem on Samuels Avenue it deserves to be. An appraisal was conducted in the past week but I do not know what it came in at. (nor would I be at liberty to disclose it if I did know it) I was told the vacant land property next to the Garvey House (formerly 761 Samuels)  was still offered at $1 million for redevelopment. While it appears to be a bit larger than the Garvey lot, it lacks the landmark Garvey House which as early as 1901 was recognized as one of Fort Worth's premiere homes. It's my fondest hope now that we are nearing the Spring real estate season, a buyer with vision and resources can become the new owner of this unique property and bring it back to the prominence it originally had. The recently renovated 1880's Getzendaner house across the street (760 Samuels)  now makes a very positive impression indicating how the Samuels Avenue/Rock Island neighborhood can augment its new apartment and condo housing with the historic early homes still remaining in the neighborhood. A creative developer who is sensitive to the historic neighborhood could do a lot of good here.

#80 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

Price Reduction March 24: Now priced at $750,000.  I don't expect the Garvey House to be offered any lower and I'm aware that a recent offer under $500k was declined. Let's hope this will bring the Garvey House closer to selling soon and will be followed by a world class restoration that will make it the envy of Fort Worth and the pride of the neighborhood. One only needs to look at the preservation award winning 1880's Getzendaner House (760 Samuels) across the street to see what is possible.

#81 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

WOW!

ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#82 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

My mom has always admired the house so today I took her by. While we were looking at it we meet one of the brothers who owns it currently, he let us look around the outside. He talked about you for a bit, John S. Really nice guy and very interesting. Could probably have talked to him for days. He mentioned offers of under 500k and said they might settle for something a little higher. He's also very worried about the lot next door being developed into highrise. Also talked about the potential to move the whole house across the street (!?) to make way for even more high density development along the bluff. 

Wished him the best of luck. 

#83 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Austin55,

Earlier this year, I brought the brothers-owners a skilled realtor-agent who impressed me as being focused and motivated about negotiating a sale. So far, everything he has done impresses me as staying focused on that singular goal and that is much to his credit and level of professionalism. It is true the previous $2 million dollar price tag was deemed unrealistic for current market conditions. Thus the new realtor immediately lowered the property's asking price to $980k. (the two adjacent vacant lots due South are priced at $1 million together) When offers came in at less than half of the $980k and no counter-offers made were met, a finely tuned asking price of $750k was posted. To date, a sale has not been made, but developer-investor interest in the large lot (which goes down to the Trinity in the back) has always been present as lots to either side of the Garvey property are already investor-developer owned. One recent proposal you touched on which is definitely "outside the box" , was to move the Garvey House to another location (perhaps to a side street nearby? ) but it would require the Landmark's Commission approval not to mention the added risks and hazards of jacking up and moving a nearly 120-year old house. Still better than a total loss, but not by much.

As a preservationist, I'm deeply disappointed so few preservation-minded potential buyers have shown any interest in the Garvey property. Developers appear to salivate about the land, but the landmark Garvey House, which has direct connections to Baldwin Samuel (the street's namesake) and his family (Mrs. Garvey was his granddaughter) seems decidedly under-appreciated. My gut feeling is the Garvey House will not have a happy ending but then we've seen abundant examples of former landmark homes in our city lost either to neglect (or worse, to "mysterious" fires) or razed in the name of "progress". We love to talk about our rich history in Fort Worth yet we seldom honor it in a tangible way. In the case of the Garvey property, we can quantify that amount of "honor" in dollar figures-to many, the landmark house is almost worthless yet the Trinity Bluff land is considered prime to developers. My advice to the brother who you probably talked to was to hold firm and try to get the best price he can for the property. He is nearing retirement age yet still works as a neighborhood handyman. He's also not in perfect health so whatever he realizes from a sale will be his primary source to live on for his remaining years.

As stated, I find the whole Garvey House situation quite discouraging with the chances for saving and restoring it diminishing with each passing day. The only glimmer of hope I still have comes from the old 1885 Getzendaner house across the street (760 Samuels-see separate message thread) which, against all odds, somehow landed a sympathetic buyer and now has been given an almost miraculous new lease of life; the preservation award given to the brave owners-renovators was well deserved. Maybe the same favorable outcome will bless the Garvey House but given how long its been on the market, my remaining optimism is minimal.

#84 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

John S., I completely understand.  So many people don't appreciate the history. 

#85 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Austin55,

Earlier this year, I brought the brothers-owners a skilled realtor-agent who impressed me as being focused and motivated about negotiating a sale. So far, everything he has done impresses me as staying focused on that singular goal and that is much to his credit and level of professionalism. It is true the previous $2 million dollar price tag was deemed unrealistic for current market conditions. Thus the new realtor immediately lowered the property's asking price to $980k. (the two adjacent vacant lots due South are priced at $1 million together) When offers came in at less than half of the $980k and no counter-offers made were met, a finely tuned asking price of $750k was posted. To date, a sale has not been made, but developer-investor interest in the large lot (which goes down to the Trinity in the back) has always been present as lots to either side of the Garvey property are already investor-developer owned. One recent proposal you touched on which is definitely "outside the box" , was to move the Garvey House to another location (perhaps to a side street nearby? ) but it would require the Landmark's Commission approval not to mention the added risks and hazards of jacking up and moving a nearly 120-year old house. Still better than a total loss, but not by much.

As a preservationist, I'm deeply disappointed so few preservation-minded potential buyers have shown any interest in the Garvey property. Developers appear to salivate about the land, but the landmark Garvey House, which has direct connections to Baldwin Samuel (the street's namesake) and his family (Mrs. Garvey was his granddaughter) seems decidedly under-appreciated. My gut feeling is the Garvey House will not have a happy ending but then we've seen abundant examples of former landmark homes in our city lost either to neglect (or worse, to "mysterious" fires) or razed in the name of "progress". We love to talk about our rich history in Fort Worth yet we seldom honor it in a tangible way. In the case of the Garvey property, we can quantify that amount of "honor" in dollar figures-to many, the landmark house is almost worthless yet the Trinity Bluff land is considered prime to developers. My advice to the brother who you probably talked to was to hold firm and try to get the best price he can for the property. He is nearing retirement age yet still works as a neighborhood handyman. He's also not in perfect health so whatever he realizes from a sale will be his primary source to live on for his remaining years.

As stated, I find the whole Garvey House situation quite discouraging with the chances for saving and restoring it diminishing with each passing day. The only glimmer of hope I still have comes from the old 1885 Getzendaner house across the street (760 Samuels-see separate message thread) which, against all odds, somehow landed a sympathetic buyer and now has been given an almost miraculous new lease of life; the preservation award given to the brave owners-renovators was well deserved. Maybe the same favorable outcome will bless the Garvey House but given how long its been on the market, my remaining optimism is minimal.

sighs in sadness

ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#86 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

Price for the Garvey House at 769 Samuels Avenue has now hit bedrock at $600,000. The slightly larger vacant lot due south (formerly 761 Samuels) is invisibly divided into two but offered for $1 million as a large lot. The real estate listing has been updated to reflect this lower (lowest) price. I feel confident in stating no other properties on Samuels Avenue with Trinity River frontage will be available at this price. At this point I think this will be my final post on the Garvey House property unless a dedicated preservationist becomes its next owner. What else can I say about it that I haven't already? It's fate is now dictated by market forces, not historical interest or preservation concerns.

#87 gdvanc

gdvanc

Elite Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

Price for the Garvey House at 769 Samuels Avenue has now hit bedrock at $600,000. ...

Come on, PowerBall...

...We love to talk about our rich history in Fort Worth yet we seldom honor it in a tangible way. ...

Honestly, I'm convinced more buildings were saved in Fort Worth by a lack of interest in building on their sites (when building was booming elsewhere) than by any real commitment to historic preservation here. But the fact that those buildings are still (more or less) standing allows us to pretend to care.

#88 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Pretty much, yeah.  The city likes to brag about how much better it is at historic preservation than Dallas, but it's *entirely* because we just didn't build as much.  None of the actual governmental bodies or much of the citizenry actually cares about preservation in any meaningful way.

--

Kara B.

#89 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

Donnie and Kevin win the big prize!  Both of you hit the nail right on the head. 

#90 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

I think 500 to 600K is where they should have STARTED on that house, you could easily drop 200 to 400K into that place restoring it and even more updating what needs to be to make it a comfortable dwelling. It is a limited edition in the metroplex, but what sets it apart from a lot of other houses of its era is the parcel of  land and the vantage point it commands on that land.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#91 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Sale pending...that's all I can say at this point. Will post more information when it becomes available.

#92 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

I hope this is good news and a restoration is in the works.

#93 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

I suppose that's ok. I paid my stupid tax yesterday and still didn't win the lottery so I will not be making a counteroffer.

I wonder if Brian L. has finally decided the price is right since he knows the folks in the Getz house.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#94 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

There is a tax for being stupid?  Oh oh.

#95 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

Sold...closing scheduled for July 1st. I can't discuss price or details except that the buyer intends to restore the property after acquisition so if this works out as planned the Garvey House will have a much brighter future than seemed possible in the past. Given that the Getzendaner house across the street has been the recipient of a preservation award for the transformational renovation it received I can't help but be excited thinking about the same happening for the Garvey House. It will take a lot of work and TLC to bring it back but it will surely be worth it. The only thing I would change inside would be the two Arts & Crafts flavored rough textured brick mantels William Garvey installed circa 1910 (to "modernize" the interior look) for the ornate Victorian versions (likely quarter-sawn Oak versions with columns and beveled mirrors) Fortunately, suitable 1890's Oak mantels can be easily sourced from salvage sources from the Midwest and Eastern Seaboard for reasonable prices. I recall a hauler-dealer bringing in Victorian mantels from Pennsylvania to the Canton, TX flea market and most were priced below $1,000 with painted over original shellac examples (easily cleaned up) for about half that figure.

The large colorful stained glass landing windows in the Garvey House tower were repaired decades ago but with non-matching replacement glass-it would enhance the esthetics to have the windows (more repairs now needed) reworked by a stained glass pro with the correct matching repair glass so they would again look original. I'm don't think the exquisite patterned parquet oak floors inside have been refinished; with some TLC they would look fantastic. The story goes that former resident-owner Lena Viehl (a former Broadway dancer) practiced dance routines with a young Ginger Rodgers in the Garvey house parlor back in the day.  All-in-all, the Garvey House is a big project but when completed the landmark house will regain its status as one of Fort Worth's 19th century architectural jewels. It was recognized as one of Fort Worth's distinctive homes back in 1901 when it was featured in a souvenir booklet put out by Charles Swartz. As noted, only 3 of the residences featured among Fort Worth's picturesque homes in 1901 are still standing with the Garvey House as the only one still a private residence. I look forward to the day when the restored Garvey House will be open for viewing as the late Brenda Kelley used to do from time to time. Her memory and all the hard work she and her husband put into the house will not be in vain. The previous prospective buyer wanted to move the house off the property so this current change is far more encouraging. At last some good news about the Garvey House and a hopeful future possible. I wish the new owner(s) the very best as they take on this important project which will impact the whole neighborhood. A best case scenario would be the Garvey House renovation/restoration anchoring the northern end of Samuels as a historic residential area with limited additional new developement. Samuels-Rock Island will benefit most if not all new development is in the form of appartment blocks which dominate the south end of the neighborhood. I'd love to see a new or rescued large Victorian house go back on the vacant former Foster-Poole house site (761 Samuels) next door to the Garvey house property. (wishing thinking, but if someone wanted to do that I have a list of rescue-worthy Victorians) Alternately, a nice higher-end infill house would look great there.

#96 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

John.. this is GREAT news.. please keep us posted...  I put your post on my FB wall

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#97 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

Ok, who won the lottery?

#98 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

Really curious if the name is one we will all recognize.

Very relieved, to.

#99 txrob779

txrob779

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

This is awesome news...I just read and got this link from a post from Pete Charlton.

I am so looking forward to this..hip hip hoorah

#100 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for the update.  I have a little bit of information and I want to remain vague to preserve identities.  A friend of mine will probably be the contractor on the project.  Everything he told me backs up what John S. has posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users