• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:18 PM

I am thrilled to have found two sets of four photos from 36th Division Review on 4/11/18 among my grand parents collection of photos I retrieved today from storage. I had only seen two published photos of this day.
They were taken by both my great grandfathers, one from the roof tops of Ft. Worth and the other on Main Street. (I'd like to find out what building he was on).
I wish I could put these in at high rez but it would take to long to load.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Nice shot of the Westbrook in some of those! smile.gif

John

#2 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:38 PM

GREAT shots. AWESOME of you to share those with us.

Where are these buildings now?

Those "high up there" pic's look to be from where the FWCoC once stood. The now Ashton Hotel. Maybe?

Would be cool to have those REVIEW Parades here again.

I wonder how FW would look like these days if all of those monsterous sky scrapers in DTFW never existed post 1950's. Would probably be even better looking, like you could actually see some beautiful historic mid-rise buildings from the freeway. Not the big bulky whatever style looking pile of steel, which unfortunately block the views of these darlings.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:02 AM

Safly, some of those buildings are still there. You can see some of the Sundance Square buildings along Houston Street in the first photo. In 1918, the Old City National Bank (Billy Miners') already had the 4th floor removed. In the shots along Main, you can see the Shamrock Building (Chili's) before it was stuccoed over and when it was red brick. In that same shot, you can see the Tarrant County Courthouse and the roofline of the Knights of Pythias Castle Hall.

#4 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:46 AM

What are those smokestacks that look like they're on the south end?

#5 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(Funkdoobiest @ Feb 13 2006, 09:46 AM) View Post

What are those smokestacks that look like they're on the south end?

I can not recall the name but as I recall it was a smelte on the other side of the T&P.

#6 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(johnlp @ Feb 12 2006, 06:18 PM) View Post
They were taken by both my great grandfathers, one from the roof tops of Ft. Worth and the other on Main Street. (I'd like to find out what building he was on).

Great photos, John.

Based on what I've seen while looking through Jack White's collection, the pictures taken from the higher vantage point might be from the top of the Burton-Peel (Dry Goods) building, which I believe was on the SW corner of 7th and Main. I'm guessing the building with the rounded corner on the left of the last two shots is the Hoxie building (home of the Farmers and Mechanics Bank) at the NW corner of that intersection. On the shot looking back to the south from the Burton-Peel, you can see the Metropolitan Hotel.

Thanks for posting these!

#7 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I do know for fact now that the "roof top" shots are from the the roof of the building next door (south) of the Hoxie building.
My office in DTFW has vintage photos of DTFW all around the third floor. There is a good shot of both buildings.
The only thing, I can not ID the building. You think it's the Burton-Peel building? smile.gif

My pleasure to post. A rich history we have in Ft. Worth. I was thrilled to find these in my Grand Parents things! smile.gif

John

#8 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE(johnlp @ Feb 13 2006, 02:55 PM) View Post
You think it's the Burton-Peel building? smile.gif

I think so. Here's one of Mr. White's photos showing 7th & Main loooking west down 7ty from a bit east of the intersection:

Seventh Street looking west from Main, 1910

It shows a wee bit of the old Worth Hotel on the very left, and the Burton-Peel and Hoxie buildings on the west side of the intersection. This photo is from 1910. I think the Burton-Peel building (and possibly the Hoxie building) were demolished within about a year or so after the 1918 parade in your pictures.

There are many pictures and keepsakes I've stumbled across and deeply regretted not having "discovered" when I might have had the opportunity to have learned more about them from those to whom they meant enough to have saved them all those years. I'm not sure I got the grammar correct there, but you know what I mean. :-)

#9 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:16 PM

Great info and cool pic!
I think I'm going to have some of these prints made into large format images for office decoration especially this one!

IPB Image

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:55 PM

I will have to check on the demolition of the Burton-Peel Building. The Hoxie Building was demolished to build a larger home for the Farmers & Mechanics National Bank, the current day Transport Life.

#11 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:38 PM

Here is another and I guess this is another reason why family was down there taking pictures. This is my Great-Grand Uncle (my Great Grandfathers Brother) smile.gif
IPB Image

Johnlp

#12 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:34 AM

(Camerman) "Somebody give this man a can of STARCH! No, Too much shine, too much SHINE! Makeup people! MAKEUP! Hold it, that's it. OWN it baby, OWN IT! RrrrOWWWRRRRHHH. " biggrin.gif

Nah, he looks sharp. We salute him.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#13 Jack White

Jack White

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE(johnlp @ Feb 12 2006, 06:18 PM) View Post

I am thrilled to have found two sets of four photos from 36th Division Review on 4/11/18 among my grand parents collection of photos I retrieved today from storage. I had only seen two published photos of this day.
I wish I could put these in at high rez but it would take to long to load.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Nice shot of the Westbrook in some of those! smile.gif

John

WOW!...John, those are priceless. I have about four good ones...a couple
already in place on THE WAY WE WERE pages. I will contact you later
about using these on John's old FW pages. Will credit to you and your
grandfathers, of course.

Thanks!

Jack

#14 TxConnie

TxConnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:03 PM

Ack. John-- I would really like to see these, but they seem to have been moved?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users