#51 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

I don't know if it is going to be imploded, or not.  However, the 30 story Landmark Tower was imploded with a City of Fort Worth Historic and Cultural Landmark about 250 feet away.  (First Christian Church)  The Landmark Tower also had several other historic buildings within one block of it.  The hospitals may be a factor, but there is still several hundred feet of distance between it and the closest part of Cook Children's Hospital.  If you remember, Cook's also imploded the old Medical Tower at 8th Ave. and Rosedale.

#52 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:55 AM

This would be a great place for a mix use skyscraper. Can you imagine the views of the city you would get in a 30 40 story condo and top floor restaurant ? 

#53 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

Unfortunately, NS T-5 zoning restricts buildings to 10-stories in most of the Near Southside unless you get a variance.

Personally, I think 30+ stories would be too tall for this location. A 20-story tower on this land would be ideal.

Anything taller would widen the downtown skyline too much.

-Dylan

#54 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

I think the skyline is too narrow now. My opinion anyway.  

#55 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

Any word on what will go back in its place or they are now looking at selling? I'm not hearing anything on resurrecting the last concept so far, I would sure like to do a hotel there as part of a MU site.

#56 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

Any word on what will go back in its place or they are now looking at selling? I'm not hearing anything on resurrecting the last concept so far, I would sure like to do a hotel there as part of a MU site.

Nothing yet. 

#57 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

Instead of a hotel, I think the site's proximity to several hospitals and clinics makes it a prime location for another Trinity Terrace or Stayton @ MW community.

#58 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

I had lunch at Pappa Changs earlier this week and noticed that there are only 2 or 3 businesses left in the adjoining strip center and the rest are boarded up or fenced off.

I also talked to a friend that works at another senior living facility in the area that took in Westchester residents and she said she's heard rumors that the building will be replaced with apartments or parking for Cook Children's. She wasn't sure which was correct.

#59 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:15 PM

I know that most of the forum members would hurl objects at me for saying this, but I hope that it will be parking for Cook's.  If it is used for that, it might delay or remove the need for the construction of a 7 story parking garage on the west side of Thistle Hill.  The house needs the visibility of having a parking lot to the west of the property.

#60 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

"Hand me a stone". :swg:

#61 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

I had no idea there was a garage planned for that lot. That would be terrible.

#62 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

A garage has been planned for the lot at the southeast corner of 8th Ave. and Pennsylvania for a long time.  If it gets built, there will be no visibility of Thistle Hill because the house sets so far back from the street.

#63 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

Cooks has gone mad for parking. They torn down just about everything along 8th ave and built that big lot where Pennslyvania and 12th meet a few blocks west.

#64 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:59 PM

I'm at home this week having some plumbing issues repaired at the house.  The work is going slow, but it will be nice to get the leak fixed.  This is what happens when you have an 88 year old house. 

Since I am spending time at home keeping tabs on the plumber, I happened to see the Facebook feed from the Food Park at Thistle Hill.  The Dog House was there at lunch and the staff at Thistle Hill photographed the truck looking north.  I happened to notice that the top floor of windows have been removed at Westchester Plaza.  It appears that demolition is progressing.

#65 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

I'm at home this week having some plumbing issues repaired at the house.  The work is going slow, but it will be nice to get the leak fixed.  This is what happens when you have an 88 year old house. 

Since I am spending time at home keeping tabs on the plumber, I happened to see the Facebook feed from the Food Park at Thistle Hill.  The Dog House was there at lunch and the staff at Thistle Hill photographed the truck looking north.  I happened to notice that the top floor of windows have been removed at Westchester Plaza.  It appears that demolition is progressing.

Yeah. I noticed last week that Papa Chang’s was closed and they were moving the tables and chairs out when I drove by.

I wonder if they are going to relocate somewhere nearby.

#66 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

"Pappa Changs moved to 2817 W. Berry St., where it now shares space with I-Pho."

https://twitter.com/...764737012584448

#67 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

"Pappa Changs moved to 2817 W. Berry St., where it now shares space with I-Pho."

https://twitter.com/...764737012584448

That's a little surprising... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#68 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

I wonder if they'll survive without the regular hospital lunch business.  I really didn't think they would move.

#69 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

I wonder if they'll survive without the regular hospital lunch business.  I really didn't think they would move.

I’m not sure they hada choice. I was under the impression that they had to move because the building was going to be demolished.

#70 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

I know they had to move. I didn't think they would stay in business.

#71 Bonfire98A

Bonfire98A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

Per FB group FW Memories, the strip center behind Westchester is being demo'ed....

https://www.facebook...25110657644698/

#72 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:13 PM

Can't tell for certain, but I'm pretty sure the guy who posted that was a classmate in one of my media classes.

-Dylan

#73 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:37 PM

Perhaps they'll be able to shift their target audience and catch on with the TCU crowd.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#74 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

Fort Worth Urban's Twitter page has photos of the demolition that was started this week.  The low rise retail portion of the building is being cleared.  This will be the set up for the impending implosion of the building. 

#75 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

http://www.fortworth...29ee7309c0.html

It would be nice to see this property being developed into a medical complex research/school. Although a hotel or condos would be nice, we need to see Fort Worth move into a more diverse areas of business. 

Adrian

#76 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

This was the "off the record" discussion from the forum.  As of Thursday, this information had not been released; therefore, I did not want to put it out on the forum until it was confirmed.  The date could still change.  The Business Press article confirms everything that I know about what is happening.

#77 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:25 AM

It is being billed as a "prime development site."

I suppose in Fort Worth this means it will be a parking garage.

#78 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

Or a bank. Or a QT.

#79 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:05 PM

A parking lot with a water feature would be quaint.

#80 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

I don’t think we should overlook the quote from Austin T. Reilly, the broker, in the Star-Telegram article (see Post #75)

There's nothing on that side of town that can accommodate large scale galas or conferences,” he said. “Really, the only thing we have nearby is the Omni, and the Omni is maxed out at a certain capacity, under 2,000.

​I interpret that to mean he is going to try to market the tract to the hospitality industry.

#81 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:55 AM

Good catch. That's interesting.

#82 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

​I interpret that to mean he is going to try to market the tract to the hospitality industry.

Well we already lured the Hampton Inn downtown.

Maybe this time we can get a La Quinta!

#83 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

Well we already lured the Hampton Inn downtown.

Maybe this time we can get a La Quinta!

You need a beer, Volare.

My blog: Doohickie

#84 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:39 PM

Would hope the city plans on vacating Peter Smith in there, would open up a few extra acres. 

A hotel supporting researchers w meeting and conventions space could be great for hospital and medical oriented meetings, especially with some included residential space.

#85 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:32 PM

Does anyone have a good suggestion of where to watch the implosion? A few options I'm considering:

- The Omni hotel garage. If you go to the northwest corner, it's not blocked by T&P warehouse. However, I'm starting to think I'd rather be closer.

- The Harris Hospital garage. This seems to have a good view (maybe too close), but they may not want people on their privately-owned garage.

- The new Texas Oncology garage. My thoughts on this are the same as above.

-Dylan

#86 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

Dylan, what I usually do, is read the paper to find out where the restricted zone is located.  Unfortunately, that is only released "officially" a few days before the implosion.  Since no one reads the paper in the printed version and they offer subscriptions online, this may be a little more difficult.  Anyway, once I have the information where I'm not allowed, then I seek out the closest location with the best view.  You also have to remember that these usually occur in the morning, so anywhere looking to the east (or southeast) will have sun issues.  Before I started the website, I used to not worry too much about being on private property, but since I publish these types of events on the site and on social media, my location will be on public property.  For the record, I have shot and published from private property, but I was invited. 

Since I serve on the Board of Historic Fort Worth, and we own Thistle Hill, I was thinking I might be able to shoot from there, but I have found out that the house and grounds will be in the restricted area, so I know that I won't be taking my pictures there.  Supposedly, the line will be at approximately one city block away in all directions.  This would put the line along the north edge of Pruitt Street, on the south side of Thistle Hill.  What people don't realize is that the street is privatized and Cook Children's owns the street.  They also own 7th Ave south of Pennsylvania.  They may or may not allow people to use their street to view.  The one block area to the east should end at Ballinger and along that street should have some good viewing.  You are also looking west and away from the sun. 

#87 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:08 PM

At the Forum Meeting, I told everyone there that I had heard the time of the implosion had changed to 8:30 AM.  However, I was sent an e-mail while at lunch with a specific sequence of events for the implosion.  The time has not changed and it is still 8:00 AM on Sunday, March 4, 2018.

#88 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

I now have a copy of the map of the restricted zone.  However, in receiving it, I also agreed not to divulge the information contained within in it.  So, without being specific, the area where no one will be allowed will be roughly one large block beyond the building site.  If the block is small, it is two blocks.  In a few situations, where the street grid shifts, the line will go through private property roughly continuing the line at the furthest point.

#89 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

I drove through the area this morning and it looks like they have a lot of work to do if there's going to be an implosion in the next 24 hours.  Nothing is happening as far as protection of surrounding properties goes, particularly the historic ones.  There were still a large number of cars parked inside the perimeter fence around the building which I wouldn't think would be the case if it was being rigged up with explosives.  There's also nothing in the way of visible security around the building like we've seen with previous implosions.

#90 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

The implosion has been delayed.  I will have more later.

#91 lisa_marie

lisa_marie

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

Does anyone have a good suggestion of where to watch the implosion? A few options I'm considering:

- The Omni hotel garage. If you go to the northwest corner, it's not blocked by T&P warehouse. However, I'm starting to think I'd rather be closer.

- The Harris Hospital garage. This seems to have a good view (maybe too close), but they may not want people on their privately-owned garage.

- The new Texas Oncology garage. My thoughts on this are the same as above.

I was thinking about somewhere near the St Paul Lutheran Church across I-30

#92 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:26 PM

That looks like a good spot to watch the implosion. I've considered recording it from 8th Avenue just south of I-30 (it may be closed for the implosion).

Unfortunately, a location along I-30 probably won't look very good on camera. The sun won't be shining on the building from I-30, and there are several utility poles in the way.

If Ballinger is open to the public, I may just watch & record the implosion from there.

-Dylan

#93 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:30 PM

I'm targeting the Summit overpass I think.

#94 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

I was thinking the same thing, then figured 8th street just south of it would be closed.

If a bunch of people are on the overpass itself, I may do that.

-Dylan

#95 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

John what's the new date?

#96 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

I read the 18th on Twitter last week.

#97 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:27 PM

JBB, is correct.

#98 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

I guess I actually read that this week.  My days are just sort of running together right now.  They've made a lot of progress in the last few days on demoing parts of the building.  It looks different every time I drive by.

#99 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:24 AM

I saw it from the freeway on my drive to work this morning.  More and more it's looking like a skeleton structure.

#100 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:06 AM

Any word on if they're still on for Sunday?  They've made a lot of progress in the last couple of weeks, but it still looks like there's a lot of work to do to protect the area surrounding the building and the surrounding buildings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medical District, Fort Worth South, New Construction, Demolition, Mixed-Use

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users