#402 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

In intereesting bit from the Pre-Council agenda, but no more information

Presentation on Proposed Armour Hotel Economic Development Program Agreement (Michael Hennig, Economic Development)

#403 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

Details on the Armour Hotel with a rendering at the end of the story:

http://www.star-tele...e178176116.html

#404 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

Looks alright. Really curious how it'll fit in with the rest of the area.

#405 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

I'm OK with it.  The hotel should fit in.

#406 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

...not too in love with the design, but it works.

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#407 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:02 PM

The hotel building pictured should be set back and a replica of the historic Armour Office Building, similar to the Swift Office Building, should be placed there. It could house reception, food service, a lounge, etc. with a connection to the hotel proper behind it.

#408 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

The hotel building pictured should be set back and a replica of the historic Armour Office Building, similar to the Swift Office Building, should be placed there. It could house reception, food service, a lounge, etc. with a connection to the hotel proper behind it.

Why?

My blog: Doohickie

#409 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

RD, wouldn't building a replica of something that was demolished long ago, contribute to the "Disneyland" effect that most of the people involved in saving the Stockyards (including the Murrins) have tried to keep from happening?

#410 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

I'm OK with it.  The hotel should fit in.

I guess my concern is that 120 rooms + 40 employees = a lot of folks parking = a big ol surface lot. It's not to huge a deal in the Stockyards I guess, but Exchange Ave ought to be a nice area and easily walkable for the guests staying and visiting. 

#411 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

Like most have stated... it isn’t terrible but it isn’t a standout design either. Not that it has to be, but it the end it works well enough and it will serve it’s purpose.

#412 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

Austin55, do you know who the architects are for this project?

#413 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

I am also perplexed about the progress of the Majestic’s redevelopment plan. I drive around the area often and I’m not seeing any work or progress being made other than the demolition of the ruins and some framing in Mule Alley that has been at the same stage for a few months now.

#414 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

Austin55, do you know who the architects are for this project?

I do not.

#415 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

Has the way that the parking needs will be addressed outlined?

#416 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:41 AM

I like it!

I think it looks like something out of the Jack White photo collection.

#417 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:55 PM

RD, wouldn't building a replica of something that was demolished long ago, contribute to the "Disneyland" effect that most of the people involved in saving the Stockyards (including the Murrins) have tried to keep from happening?

No I don't think so. Disneyland is make-believe built on green fields; The building I referenced was once there, destroyed in a fire I believe, and along with the bookend Swift building across the street was an integral part of the initial design of the stockyards complex.

#418 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:13 PM

One step closer;   and it will look nice but the parking scheme could be improved by the addition of a two-level garage below or above grade.  Why isn't more emphasis given to veil pools of cars -

http://www.fortworth...4ce96e318f.html

#419 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

I agree rename... I think open parking lots really take away from a building like this.

#420 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

Quick work on the Stockyards Hotel @ Swift site.  I like what I am hearing but there needs to be a "Cultural District-like Parking Solution", aka a garage built nearby.  My suggestion for the garage would be the surface lot just east of Stockyards Station.

http://www.fortworth...2762499e50.html

#421 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

Quick work on the Stockyards Hotel @ Swift site.  I like what I am hearing but there needs to be a "Cultural District-like Parking Solution", aka a garage built nearby.  My suggestion for the garage would be the surface lot just east of Stockyards Station.

http://www.fortworth...2762499e50.html

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts. A stand alone parking garage in the Stockyards will most likely introduce paid parking. A parking garage built for the hotel and for its customers only, should be attached to the hotel, and ran by the hotel any way it chooses. I’m in favor of free public parking in the Stockyards so more tourists can afford to go there.

#422 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

I would like to clarify and correct some things.  The new Stockyards Hotel is being built on the old Armour Meatpacking Plant Site, not the Swift Site.  The developers of the hotel are naming it the Armour Hotel after its location.  These developers are local and they are part of the group that fought Majestic and their development and pressed for a local historic district.

Majestic Realty and the Hickman Family represent the larger developers who own a great deal of the Stockyards acreage and the old Swift Meatpacking Plant Site, the cattle pens, and most of the parking lots.  The city has given them large incentives to redevelop the area.  They also own the Mule Barns.  They do not own the former Swift & Co. Office Building.  XTO sold that property earlier this year in a part of their relocating their headquarters. 

#423 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts. A stand alone parking garage in the Stockyards will most likely introduce paid parking. A parking garage built for the hotel and for its customers only, should be attached to the hotel, and ran by the hotel any way it chooses. I’m in favor of free public parking in the Stockyards so more tourists can afford to go there.

Paid parking in the Stockyards currently and already exists.  Free parking is available at certain times.  A multi-level, premium parking garage could increase the availability of parking and provide cover for cars from the heat and other weather events for drivers who want or need a premium car service.   The hotel needs only to contract with a publicly or Stockyard owned garage for spaces that it needs for its guests.

Of course, if Tarrant Express had built a "proper" Stockyard Station and for which some vigorously argued against, addressing future parking needs would be greatly different.  But there is a possible silver lining that may come of this subject - a future core transit network will certainly include the Stockyards.

Paid parking at an affordable rate will not, IMO, harm tourism at the Stockyards.

#424 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

The Stockyards visitor center has moved. It is now in the Cowboy Hall of Fame Lobby.

#425 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

The senseless bickering over Billy Bob's continues:

http://www.star-tele...e183510371.html

I'm assuming that place is a factory to print money. I wonder how much of it they've flushed down the toilet in this ordeal.

#426 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:44 PM

Some changes are being proposed on E Exchange Ave.

The street will removed, the bricks cleaned and reset. A few trees and plantings will be added, along with street lights. Some cattle troughs will be repurposed as benches. 10 months construction is expected.

#427 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:43 PM

This is much needed in my opinion. It is the showcase thoroughfare and it needs to start looking more like it.

One thing I noticed on my last visit to the area a couple of weeks back... the street in between the coliseum and the stockyards indoor mall has a lot of potential as a outdoor pedestrian strip. It is completely underutilized in its current state. I dont recall if the new redevelopment plans call for any improvements.

#428 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

Will it become pedestrian only?

-Dylan

#429 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:31 PM

PeopleAreStrange, I believe the street will still be open to traffic.  The sidewalks will also be paved in brick.  Both parts of the project are needed due to the uneven sidewalks and the condition of the brick street. 

#430 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

Here's a site plan submitted to the City Plan commission. Building #2 is the previously discussed Armour Hotel. However, it does not sound like the waiver requested will pass and have been recommended for denial.

FRYDLXy.png

In May 2017 the City Council adopted the Stockyards Form-Based Code and Design Guidelines (Stockyards FBC) encompassing 300 acres in the Stockyards area. City Council adopted form based codes and/or design overlay zoning districts containing a regulating plan, street cross sections, or streetscape standards are incorporated by reference as if fully set forth in the Subdivision Ordinance and shall apply to those areas zoned with the appropriate zoning suffix. [Subdivision Ordinance Chapter 31-81.b.5] The intent of the Stockyards FBC is to balance historic preservation and development. The Stockyards FBC includes traditional subdivision standards such as street and block patterns as well as design elements such as building heights and setbacks. The Urban Design Commission (UDC) addresses design elements and any related waivers from the Stockyards FBC. The City Plan Commission addresses development elements and any related waivers. This case is the first preliminary plat submitted within the area regulated by the Stockyards FBC. This site is vacant except for one remaining building which is located at the northeast corner of Exchange Avenue and Stockyards Boulevard in the “SY-HCO” Historic Core zoned portion of the site. The applicant is proposing eight commercial blocks. The applicant has requested an economic development agreement with the City of Fort Worth for the Armour Hotel which is proposed in Lot 1 of Block 1R-2 near the southwest corner of the plat. This hotel is anticipated to be the first phase of the development. The Preliminary Plat as submitted requires both design and development waivers from the Stockyards FBC. At the February 22 meeting, the UDC continued their consideration of two design waivers and consideration of recommendations to the City Plan Commission for approval of three development waivers. Based on the current submittal, the following three development waivers are required: 1. Approval of a waiver to allow two deviations from the Future Streets and Pathways Map [Stockyards FBC Div.8.2]; 2. Approval of a waiver to allow block face(s) that exceed the maximum 500-fool block face allowed [Stockyard Yards FBC Div. 8.1.1]; and 3. Approval of a waiver to allow block perimeter(s) that exceed the maximum 1,600- foot allowed [Stockyard Yards FBC Div. 8.1.1]. The applicant has request a 30-day continuance of the City Plan Commission’s consideration of this Preliminary Plat and required waivers. E. DEVELOPMENT REVIEW COMMITTEE (DRC) RECOMMENDATION DRC Recommends: Denial of the Preliminary Plat due to sig

#431 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

Here's an FAA filing for a "Hotel Drover" at 70 ft tall tall. At first I thought this was just a filing for the Armour with a new name, but the map seems to make it look closer to Marine Creek. Previously a 220 room hotel had been shown in the site plan at the end of Mule Alley and abutting the creek.

#432 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

Here's an FAA filing for a "Hotel Drover" at 70 ft tall tall. At first I thought this was just a filing for the Armour with a new name, but the map seems to make it look closer to Marine Creek. Previously a 220 room hotel had been shown in the site plan at the end of Mule Alley and abutting the creek.

Marine Creek is a beautiful spot most people don't even know exists. Hopefully this hotel can bring much needed foot traffic!

#433 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:02 PM

More info on the Drover via TDLR. In addition to the 200 hotel rooms a 200 seat restaurant and 4,500 sqft "event barn" are also planned. Total project cost is $35M, expected groundbreaking is June, expected completion is 12/19. Architect is HKS.

#434 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

Images from Design3. Here's the sitelan,

Dd6jUl_V4AAbAzZ.jpg

Dd6jV7eUQAA1vDW.jpg

Another view of the Festival District.

Dd6jXeTU0AANZ54.jpg

Festival District. Note the turntable being used as an ampiheater.

Dd6jWofVwAI9bXB.jpg

#435 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:48 PM

Looks beautiful... 

I'd smile, but I already know there are going to be some people complaining about this. I can hear it now.  :glare:

7fwPZnE.png

#436 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

I wish we could of saved some of the old buildings. But I do like this rendering. Even though I am always skeptical of renderings vs. the final product. When developers don't do all they say they will do because of "cost effect measures"  I notice TRV will have some part of this project ? 

#437 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

I notice TRV will have some part of this project ? 

Marine Creek

7fwPZnE.png

#438 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

The furthest north dam is placed at Marine Creek, which will allow water level across the area be to be the same. This means you could take a boat from the Stockyards to Downtown.

#439 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:13 PM

Booze Cruise from the Stockyards to Panther Island 🍾🤪

#440 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

I notice TRV will have some part of this project ? 

Marine Creek

I know. But I notice the TRV logo on the map.

#441 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:00 PM

I'm proud of you forum members who are "in the know" about the TRV without me having to post the information.

#442 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:51 AM

This is exciting! 

Two lingering fanboy disappointments, though, I think it's too bad The Rodeo and Stock Show hadn't developed along side this place. Is what it is, whatever... and much less often but even more confused disappointment comes when politico-leaders make the ceremonial food bet whenever sports teams play for a championship -- I just don't get why BBQ is always the bet from the Texan, like, the wager should be tacos and enchiladas! and while some may tally a tie, I've never enjoyed tacos and enchiladas better than from Joe T. I have that thought most of the time I look at this part of Fort Worth.

#443 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

I like it.

#444 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:40 PM

I have received word the renderings posted are outdated and never approved. Disregard them as factual.

#445 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:14 AM

I have received word the renderings posted are outdated and never approved. Disregard them as factual.

Are you referring to the picturesque images on Post #434?  If so, too bad.

But taking Marine Creek by boat from the Stockyards to downtown could be quite a tourist attraction.  Wonder if the city will build bicycle/pedestrian paths along the creek.

#446 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:49 AM

Are you referring to the picturesque images on Post #434?  If so, too bad.

But taking Marine Creek by boat from the Stockyards to downtown could be quite a tourist attraction.  Wonder if the city will build bicycle/pedestrian paths along the creek.

A riverwalk style boat cruise linking Panther Island/Downtown and the Stockyards could be fun.

As for the bike/ped path, the good news is the Trinity Trails system currently runs all the way to the Stockyards, through the rather lovely Saunders Park where I believe they continue to to the TCC NW Campus and loop around Marine Creek Reservoir 

#447 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:03 PM

As many of, if not a majority of existing buildings should be preserved.  I hope that is the case.

Now as for as an entertainment district, it still remains my position that including a residential component in the Stockyards will be a mistake and that not including a residential component in Texas Livel Arlington makes more sense.

#448 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:34 PM

Simpli.Fi taking 77,000 sqft in the Mule Barns, http://www.us.jll.co...orth-stockyards

DkG42zDUwAA9LVA.jpg

#449 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

That certainly is a good start to establishing the area as more than just for entertainment.  I'm impressed that the artist that developed the rendering only put one person in western attire.

#450 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

The kid on the bike has a cowboy hat on which is about the Fort Worthiest thing possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users