120 replies to this topic

#1 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:50 PM

Since I work next door to the great Kimbell, I got a front row seat for the construction of their new expansion, which got underway with great speed after a subdued groundbreaking ceremony Wednesday of last week.

Here's some snaps I got this morning and afternoon of what has been done in just one week's time. The loss of all those wonderful trees is disheartening, but I've read that they will all be replaced once the construction has completed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

It's really a shame that they took all of them out. I guess I'm too much of a tree and building hugger.

#3 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:26 PM

It's really a shame that they took all of them out. I guess I'm too much of a tree and building hugger.

I suppose they had to go because of the extent of underground digging that must occur for this new structure. Last time I saw the plans it featured an underground parking garage below the museum addition. Regardless, I'm a bit puzzled why trees along Will Rogers and close to the existing Kahn building had to go. I can see why the ones along Camp Bowie and Lancaster might have had to go...but the other two boundaries seem odd.

Neverthless, I trust the new landscaping will somewhat offset what was lost, and that the new building will really be fantastic. It promises to be an interesting year or two of construction watching, regardless!

#4 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

Yeah in 50 years or so the saplings that they plant will make up for the mature trees that we lost. Sigh... I guess that is the price of progress. I'm quite happy that my new bride had her bridal photos done at the Kimbell a few weeks before the construction started- some of the photos they got are no longer possible.

When they decided to get rid of the grand lawn, they said that they would remove an existing parking lot and turn it into grass to make up for it. I sure hope they intend to follow through with that pledge- or I will remind them of it! Perhaps the lot to the south and east of the Kimbell that currently is housing the construction trailers?

#5 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

Go Kimbell; I am so proud to be from Fort Worth!

Keep it folksy

#6 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

My teenage daughter keeps asking why they had to remove all those trees around the perimeter...

oh, well since it was the Kimbell, they'll probably get a pass from the same crowd that complained up a storm about the trees along the trail that the gas drilling company removed (and said they'd replace later, I think).

#7 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:24 PM

I was able to stop by the day the trees were brought down. After asking very nicely, I was able to load up the back of my Jeep with a good amount of the wood from the allee. Stay tuned for some projects made from this wood....

Btw, from what I heard these trees weren't going to make it much longer even without the hardship of construction. There are some very mature trees that are supposed to replace the ones removed.

#8 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:58 AM

I can now see why the trees along Will Rogers had to go. For the past several days there's been a core drilling rig working up and down the length of Will Rogers...looks like they're setting piers for a retaining wall of sorts.

There's now a considerable sized hole in the construction site. Lots of earth moving in just a short amount of time.

#9 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

I'd love it if you could post some more pictures.... I cannot wait to visit the new addition!

#10 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

I'd love it if you could post some more pictures.... I cannot wait to visit the new addition!

I went by Fort Worth Camera today and when finished there swung by the Kimbell to get some more progress photos:

Overview of construction site. It is now clear why all the trees had to go. Note the extent of excavation to date:

Posted Image

The concrete in the foreground of the above photo is the portico fountains, sans water. I haven't seen these fountains dry for some time, now.

Next shot shows the depth of excavation to date. Note how visible the Amon Carter is in the background. This probably won't be the case once the Kimbell addition is completed, at least from where I took this photo:

Posted Image

Shortly after all the trees were removed, a core drilling rig showed up and began working along the blue fence bordering Will Rogers street. After each core was drilled, long girders were inserted, which from this side is clear, along with gunite-blown concrete and mesh, form a retaining wall to prevent the higher grade from slumping into the excavation.

Northwest corner of excavation:

Posted Image

Hard working dozer. Also note more retaining wall detail is visible:

Posted Image

One more shot of fountain minus water:

Posted Image

That's all for now. Amazing how much digging has occurred in just a month's time. I'll get some more photos once some actual structural work begins. My understanding of this new building's design is that it will have a parking garage beneath it, with a corridor to connect the Renzo Piano building to the original Kahn building for art movement. This would explain the extent of excavation that has occurred so far (with more to come, most likely). It would also explain why even the trees near the west entry portico are now gone (I did not get a photo of that).

#11 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:29 PM

I managed to be near the Cultural District again this morning (went to Japanese Gardens to catch the Japanese maples turning fiery red - if you like this event you should go now before the really cold weather sets in) and got two more construction shots off from my other vantage point:

Posted Image

In the pic above you can see where the grove of trees that once stood just outside the west entry portico are now gone. I would think they'll replace these when the new landscaping goes in, as that was part of the original Kahn plan, IIRC.

Posted Image

Think we got enough excavation shots for now. Think I'll wait awhile until there's some serious building foundation work started before posting more photos. Hope you enjoy these.

#12 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

Hope you enjoy these.

Totally!! Thanks

#13 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

A couple more from Wednesday. I keep getting opportunities to shoot this project...hard to pass them up. A whole lot of diggin' has taken place in a short month and a half span.

Posted Image

The tunnel that will connect the existing building to the new one is now being excavated:

Posted Image

#14 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:17 PM

Base of what appears to be two cranes has been installed, still miss the trees....

#15 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

Base of what appears to be two cranes has been installed, still miss the trees....

Me too, but they'll be back.

Posted Image

#16 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

At least one crane went up today, the base is set for the 2nd one.

#17 DKinFW

DKinFW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

As much as I like to think that I keep up with what is going on, apparently I missed something per the Kimbell's expansion design. I went to the museum today for lunch and there was a model of the planned expansion. It not only was not the same model, but it was not the same design that was originally proposed. Now I understand that things change, but can someone direct me to some announcement about the change? Just curious. Not saying that it is better or worse than the original design (based on the model that was originally on display, it is just different.

#18 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:22 AM

This local story turned up on the MSNBC front page.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41961258

#19 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

Construction photo update. Heavy excavation has morphed to focused excavation as piers, footings, plumbing, electrical conduit, etc. go in the ground in advance of the foundation pour, which is expected to occur soon.

Looking northwest from Kimbell portico:

Posted Image

Looking west toward the Amon Carter:

Posted Image

Looking southwest toward Will Rogers complex:

Posted Image

North crane:

Posted Image

South crane:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

I just happen to be by the Kimbell this morning with my camera and thought you might like to see an update on the construction site.

Posted Image

#21 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

The best museum in Texas is getting better and better and better:

http://www.star-tele...-worth.html#tvg

Edited by John T Roberts, 09 September 2011 - 10:30 AM.
Removed quote from Fort Worth Star-Telegram

#22 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

A few more shots I got this past week. Finally have something to shoot besides a hole in the ground. During this ridiculously hot summer, the construction crews had to knock off around lunchtime due to the heat. Lately they've been going at it all day since the heat broke.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Service corridor to existing building:

Posted Image

#23 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

Asked around recently about what appears to be a delay in the project, I would have thought by now they would have at least been at grade level by now, and was told they did some redisgn of the underground levels. Also heard the subcontractor from Italy, that does the concrete worked requires showers on-site for his crew and chef prepared breakfast and lunch. The two tents errected in the SW corner of the site are the locker rooms and dining room for the concrete sub.

#24 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

I too was wondering what was taking so long with this project, just like the pedestrian bridge on the Trinity trails.

#25 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

S-T article on progress on the Renzo Piano expansion of the Kimbell Museum. Sounds as if the below grade structure is poured, and that the gallery level is being worked on now. I wondered about the description of the space between the two buildings as a "tree-lined lawn", but the final results will tell. The underground parking garage is a great idea, it will free up some of the other surface parking in the area for better use.

http://www.star-tele...12/03/08/379639Update on Kimbell Addition3/kimbell-art-museums-new-masterpiece.html

#26 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Cannot wait!!!

#27 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

So where is the green space that will be around there or is that totally gone? That was my favorite part of the Kimbell. But, I am excited to see the new part open. I love that museum.

#28 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Wasn't the expansion supposed to be underground? With the lawn & trees replanted?

#29 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

Wasn't the expansion supposed to be underground? With the lawn & trees replanted?

That would be pretty awesome. I hadn't heard that.

#30 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Not sure how I came upon this, but there is an artist in Los Angeles who has taken natural materials from the excavation of the Piano work site to make some form of art. He has a blog about the progress of his project. Looking forward to what he's going to produce. Kinda fascinating to me...

Reverse Archaeology

#31 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for posting this blog. Fascinating indeed!

#32 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

UPDATES

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#33 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Not sure how I came upon this, but there is an artist in Los Angeles who has taken natural materials from the excavation of the Piano work site to make some form of art. He has a blog about the progress of his project. Looking forward to what he's going to produce. Kinda fascinating to me...

Reverse Archaeology

Looks like this fellow has completed his work for the Kimbell (not sure I'm diggin' it, no pun intended):

http://kimbellproject.wordpress.com/

And is showing some new works in Los Angeles:

http://www.nytimes.c...ens-nov-17.html

#34 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

What a great way to open the new galleries!!

http://www.star-tele...adlines-default

BY GAILE ROBINSON

The exhibition the museum has booked to coincide with that trumpet-fanfare moment is a rarity -- it has secured almost 100 modern masterworks of painting and sculpture from the Art Institute of Chicago.
... Kimbell director Eric M. Lee said in a statement. "With nearly 100 paintings and sculptures on view, this will be the most important exhibition ever drawn entirely from the renowned modern holding of the Art Institute."

#35 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

The opening of the Kimbell addition and its inaugural show will be a great event for art lovers and for Fort Worth. Since we survived the Mayan apocalypse, can't wait for the New Year!

#36 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

What a great way to open the new galleries!!

BY GAILE ROBINSON,

The exhibition the museum has booked to coincide with that trumpet-fanfare moment is a rarity -- it has secured almost 100 modern masterworks of painting and sculpture from the Art Institute of Chicago.... Kimbell director Eric M. Lee said in a statement. "With nearly 100 paintings and sculptures on view, this will be the most important exhibition ever drawn entirely from the renowned modern holding of the Art Institute."  - Fort Worth Star Telegram

I agree entirely with that sentiment; and  I hope this is a sign that Chicago is adopting Fort Worth as its "little sister". 

Bring on the Chicago Symphony too!

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#37 Tacoma

Tacoma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Anybody noticed the missing trees in the median on Lancaster, just south of the Kimbell and Modern?  They cleared all of the trees out recently.  Any idea why?

Edited to add - by cleared I mean completely removed, not just trimmed.

#38 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Anybody noticed the missing trees in the median on Lancaster, just south of the Kimbell and Modern?  They cleared all of the trees out recently.  Any idea why?

Edited to add - by cleared I mean completely removed, not just trimmed.

Didn't notice that, but I assume they are going to put in some better trees.  I always wondered why there were Bradford Pears in that median and not a tree that would be more fitting long-term.

#39 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Anybody noticed the missing trees in the median on Lancaster, just south of the Kimbell and Modern?  They cleared all of the trees out recently.  Any idea why?     Edited to add - by cleared I mean completely removed, not just trimmed.

Didn't notice that, but I assume they are going to put in some better trees.  I always wondered why there were Bradford Pears in that median and not a tree that would be more fitting long-term.

I too have always wondered why.   Lets hope the replacement vegetation will be native crosstimbers.

http://www.ctufc.org/trees.htm

#40 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

A little bit down, a time lapse of construction to date of the Piano pavilion on the Kimbell website.  (Kinda fun to see the multi-family construction in the background, too.):

https://www.kimbella...on/construction

Cannot wait for the rest of '13 in Fort Worth.  The Kimbell addition, completion of Sundance Square, and even the new 7th Street bridge, all after this year's upcoming Cliburn Piano Competition, which will be exceptionally meaningful for the obvious reason - can't even get my head around it all.  Don't mean to sound weird, but for those who have a sense of history and place, Fort Worth will experience some exciting, world class milestones, in the next few months.  

#41 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Here's an article from FWWeekly about the "Piano Pavilion Performance Hall"

http://www.fwweekly....ound-structure/

#42 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

This is a fabulous artistic cultural addition to Fort Worth.  I'm not a worldly art museum visitor, so wonder is this kind of facility unique to art museums?  

#43 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Kimbell's Piano Pavilion to open November 27

Link

#44 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

FW business press has an article on the Kimbell this morning too - http://fwbusinesspre...ning-date-.aspx

Those renderings are amazing, they look like photos.

#45 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

I was in Fort Worth this weekend and drove by the construction site.  The Piano wing - it's big!  A lot bigger than I had in my mind.  (Sundance is coming along swimmingly - can't wait, the old Tandy Center redo looks a lot better in person than in the pics, and what happened to Dean-Kingston?  What's really striking is the rise of the Chisholm Trail Parkway.  It's like a dragon rising out of the earth across the whole city.  And I visited Southlake for the first time - I really don't get the fuss.  Gated communities, lots of chains, high end luxury car dealerships, big churches, what's different from Hulen or Bryant Irvin?  'Cause it's not in the FWISD? Sorry, off topic.)

#46 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

I was in Fort Worth this weekend and drove by the construction site.  The Piano wing - it's big!  A lot bigger than I had in my mind.  (Sundance is coming along swimmingly - can't wait, the old Tandy Center redo looks a lot better in person than in the pics, and what happened to Dean-Kingston?  What's really striking is the rise of the Chisholm Trail Parkway.  It's like a dragon rising out of the earth across the whole city.  And I visited Southlake for the first time - I really don't get the fuss.  Gated communities, lots of chains, high end luxury car dealerships, big churches, what's different from Hulen or Bryant Irvin?  'Cause it's not in the FWISD? Sorry, off topic.)

Dean Kingston's gone. Was replaced sometime last year. Urban Outfitters is now THE hipster store to go to. 

And that tollway is to get more people from Cleburne and SWFW to the center of the city. It's BEEN in planning for years. I'm just glad the city was smart enough NOT to bring the 121 [Chisholm Trail section] around the north side of downtown. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#47 Tacoma

Tacoma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

A cynical note about the recent coverage of the new extension.

The FW Business Press included renderings of the final building in its article. Why did the Star-Telegram only use a picture of the director motioning off to one side with nothing in the background but a portion of the Kimbell and some trees? Such poor composition and a failure to include a final rendering or even a current photo of the building seems like a failure on somebody's part at the paper.

This is an important story in Fort Worth and it seemed like the ST sent somebody out to throw together an article after the FWBP covered it in their email update blast. Little stuff like that is infuriating to me.

#48 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Tacoma, I couldn't agree more about the lame news coverage. You'd think the promoters of Fort Worth art and culture were trying to keep the Kimbell museum expansion a secret. I bet if it was the Dallas Museum of Art expansion you'd hear about it on TV and the newspapers. I recently saw a feature on the DMA in the KERA program "CEO." I just hope the Kimbell gets the same star treatment.

#49 Tacoma

Tacoma

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

John, I think your critique is more appropriate than mine.  I was irked that the major daily paper got outscooped and was outperformed by our weekly business press.  But the lack of serious coverage by the star-telegram is laughable. 

#50 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

http://artsblog.dall...-addition.html/

....on track to be ready in November!

I want to know what this looks like from the Amon Carter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users