190 replies to this topic

#151 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

That would really be terrific. Not as good, but easier, as long as I am using a tripod, I could have (mostly do) the image without the old photo or card in the shot. I could photoshop a translucent shot with a mixture. I see some fun stuff ahead.
www.fortworthview.com

#152 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

Did a google search on "before/after slider" that found lots of good info. Looks like you can do it with just a bit of Javascript code. Not sure if we can imbed that here or not... might try though!

#153 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

When I hear terms like "Javascript Code" I start running for the exits. :wacko:
www.fortworthview.com

#154 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

yeah no kidding. But we have to have someone on here who is a programmer who could make it work!

#155 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:33 AM

Excellent and I enjoy looking at the old and new photos of Fort Worth...........Thanks

#156 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

The issue is not if javascript will work or not..

This forum is a stand alone program designed by IP.Board (Version 3.1.2) and is licensed to John T. Roberts for use.
You migt visit http://www.invisionp...products/board/ to read more about this programs features.

I would think IP.Board probably has a copyright on the forum program code.

Terms of use probably says something about 'can't be reversed engineered' for private use like adding a slideshow javascript code.

Other forums that I frequent daily have improved functionality like ability to display flash, animated gif's etc.

You would have to ask John Roberts what additional functionality this IP.Board are available that can be enabled or 'Turned on'.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#157 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

VERY cool stuff - all of them! I enjoy looking at the before and after shots, and have tried a few myself. I think these put mine to shame!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#158 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

I printed a photo from an online site and now can't find where it came from. Anyone have the site for the Jack White collection?

#159 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

There's this one: http://www.fortworth...dftw/oldftw.htm
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

#160 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Phil, Ron Payne posted the link to the Jack White Collection, which is actually a part of the same website where this forum resides. Fortwortharchitecture.com has the history of buildings all over the city, the Jack White Collection, the Fort Worth Forum, a Virtual Tour, the list of the Tallest Buildings in Fort Worth, plus other other features. I just noticed that I haven't updated the Buildings Under Construction in a while, so I need to do that.

#161 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Ron & John.

#162 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

I went out and did two new picture in pictures today. No masterpieces, but still kind of fun.

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#163 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

What was the building that is next to the Kress building? I'd love to see that space be something other than a parking lot. Looks like a department store...pretty cool.

#164 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

The 1936 photo on page 1 of this thread shows it to be the 3 story Cox's department store.

#165 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

The building to the north of Kress was the Scott-Harrold Building. It was built around 1895 and at one time housed The Fair Department Store. For a picture of how it originally looked, follow the link below.
http://www.fortworth...oldbuilding.jpg

The Fair moved out in 1930 to the newly constructed Fair Building at the southwest corner of 7th and Throckmorton. R.E. Cox & Co. moved into that location and remodeled the building around 1936 by stripping all of the ornamentation off and applying stucco over the brick. In 1946, they relocated to the Fort Worth Club Building and the Lerner Shops completely remodeled the facade into an Art Deco windowless box. It was finally demolished in 1996, leaving the three toned brick north wall of the Kress Building exposed.

#166 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

I love that outline of the old building on the side of the Kress - kind of a glimpse into the past

#167 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Just made this "Picture in Picture" from a print I bought at the Montgomery Antique store.   Guessing  the B&W is from 1929.

MainStreetPIPBestFB_zps7caaa456.jpg

www.fortworthview.com

#168 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

I love greenspaces, but pictures like that make me wish Downtown was more dense.

#169 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

Brian,  love the picture in picture.

#170 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Great urban areas have a mix of green spaces and buildings. 

As for what has happened over the years, General Worth Square was built on top of two parking lots, except for Washer Bros., which was located on the southwest corner of 8th and Main.  Washer's was a large building, taking up half of the frontage on Main between 8th and 9th.  Washer Bros. was four stories.  The Metropolitan Hotel, in front of the Hotel Texas was demolished before John F. Kennedy was assassinated because I can remember him speaking in front of the Hotel Texas with the parking lot across the street.  Down at 7th and Main, the 16 story Oncor Building replaced the 5 story Burton-Peel Building.  The interesting building in the picture is what is now Del Frisco's.  In the photograph at that location is the Wheat Building, the 7 story stone building on the left side.  Would you believe that Del Frisco's is what remains of that building today?  I actually think that what is standing, was actually built in the 1930's on top of the old basement walls, but I'm not 100%.  The ballroom addition of the Texas Hotel replaced the original Worth Hotel, but the new building was shorter. 

Brian, I think your guess on the date is real close because it appears the Aviation Building at the northeast corner of 7th and Main was under construction.  It was 16 stories, and 777 Main is 40 stories. 

To make a long story short, I think Main Street at this particular location has actually become a little bit denser, even though General Worth Square put a plaza where buildings stood in the 1920's.  I definitely think the underground parking with a park on top is better than the surface parking lots that were there when I was a kid.  It's just a shame what happened behind the photographer at the Convention Center back in the 1960's.

#171 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

The problem with General Worth Square has always been that it's not engaged by anything - its immediate neighbors are the barren *backs* of buildings on Houston Street and a parking ramp & blank glass building on the Commerce side.  And the Hotel Texas and Del Frisco's buildings have thus far not engaged it at all, either.  And of course, the Convention Center arena doesn't do much most days of the year, either.  It's just two patches of green with nothing activating the space to make it worthwhile, so nobody really uses it for anything.

It's a good example of why just saying we want "green space" or "open space" isn't enough - it tends to lead to dead spots like General Worth Square.  We need to make sure that those open spaces are engaging and inviting, rather than just plunking some grass down between some blank walls and a garage ramp and expecting people to use it.

--

Kara B.

#172 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

Personal belief about Worth Square:

- The block bounded by 8th, 9th, Main and Houston should get The Cassidy treatment. An 'L' shaped, 3-4 story building with the empty building on the corner of 9th and Houston replaced. 

- The other bock should be the actual 'square' since it already has a significant landmark. I don't want to sound like I just want to get rid of buildings just to get rid of them, but the building on the corner of 9th and Commerce could either be torn down or remodeled to honor the history of flight in Fort Worth. Then, add a REAL monument to General Worth in the corner next to the Hilton instead of just a plaque. 

I feel that General Worth Square should have just been on one block, really. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#173 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'm not defending General Worth Square, but are you aware that there are 2 levels of underground parking below the square?  As Kevin said, there is nothing to engage anyone to use the park.  However, I'm betting that it was never designed to handle a building on top of it.  It would probably be too expensive to modify the structure to allow for a building on the west part of the square.  I don't know what impact the addition of a balcony on Del Frisco's will have, but at least it will be an addition to the area.

#174 txrob779

txrob779

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Awsome job Brian.....just absolutley cool as can be...wow...

#175 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'm not defending General Worth Square, but are you aware that there are 2 levels of underground parking below the square?  As Kevin said, there is nothing to engage anyone to use the park.  However, I'm betting that it was never designed to handle a building on top of it.  It would probably be too expensive to modify the structure to allow for a building on the west part of the square.  I don't know what impact the addition of a balcony on Del Frisco's will have, but at least it will be an addition to the area.

Hmm. I thought it was just under that one block... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#176 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

I remember when it was built, and I've parked there once.  I'm almost certain that the garage is under the entire "park" area, plus under Main Street, and that there are two levels below grade.  Next time I'm down there, I will try to do a little investigating.

#177 earlbutkus

earlbutkus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Local history and historic sites

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

I really like the before and after comparison photos. I have been trying to do the same myself this past year, but many of the historic sites are gone. There is still a few left, but I would like to see more of the Armour - Swift plant done this way.

#178 earlbutkus

earlbutkus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Local history and historic sites

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

8th%201913.jpg

Looking south on 8th Ave at Pennsylvania in 1913. Note the unpaved streets and hitching posts.

8th%202009.jpg

2009. Shame that first house on the right was replaced by an ugly doctor's office.

I just got a closer look at these houses and took a few pictures yesterday. It makes me sick to think of how the other houses of Quality Hill have since disappered. Just recently two on Penn St, across from the EECU bank were demolished and now there are only the two on the south end left.

#179 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

From HFW FB page

10679551_10152701772722594_3468419182586

Approx same view from Google Earth. Remember the Cassidy, Westbrook, Commerce and Plaza are not in GE yet.

lVBZRRp.jpg

What do yall think? Good progress?

#180 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:35 PM

Brian Luenser does a lot of these and he can match up the photographs fairly well.  When I took the photograph of the block face along the 300 block of Houston, I was planning to replace my photograph of the block on the main website.  The two photos that I'm comparing between 1957 and today do not match up, but they are interesting to compare the several time altered facades vs. the rebuilt facades from the original two blocks of Sundance Square.  The 1957 photo is from the W.D. Smith Collection from the UTA Library Digital Galleries.  It is in black and white and is the first one.  The second photograph is in color and was taken on January 12, 2020.

419f8313f364742673461593928e7b5b.jpg

49571934411_e05c9ae36b_h.jpg300blockHouston by jtrobert, on Flickr

#181 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:56 AM

Everything old is new again, eh? 

My blog: Doohickie

#182 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:23 AM

Yes, it is, but it also shows how "old" facades were considered outdated in the 1950s and were "modernized".  However, the two buildings with the partially painted facades on them were a result of so much damage being done to the original facades of the buildind through remodeling, that the architects could not tell exactly how those buildings looked.  Some of the buildings had 3 newer facades placed over the originals.  Also, if you look at City National Bank, you can see the red brick was stuccoed over and all of the windows were covered up.  The biggest change was the removal of the 4th floor.

#183 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:45 PM

Other photo comparisons are available on the Forum using this link:

http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=3393

#184 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:13 PM

I have merged the threads.

#185 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

OK. Next victims. Houston Street looking South. (toward the Flat Iron building)

At first glance you may think I blew it with getting my location correct. I didn't. (now put your GPS enabled laser measuring device away, I mean close enough.) It is mostly that problem with the trees I talked about in a post above.

2963588138_2a363d16a3_o.jpg

Now here is another shot where I cheated and moved to the right several feet to look around some pretty big trees. May actually be a better comparison even if not in the exact location.

2963286584_6f748d8213_o.jpg

Those trees sure are a wonderful asset to downtown!

#186 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:15 PM

2963286584_6f748d8213_o.jpg

Those trees sure are a wonderful asset to downtown!

Very wonderful and priceless.

One of the my many pleasures of driving through Downtown is southbound on Houston Street in April.  The trees are fully leafed and green is everywhere.

#187 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:20 PM

CampBowie1927.jpg

Looking west on Camp Bowie, 1927, with gravel median and tracks.

CampBowie2008.jpg

bring back the tracks!

#188 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

The streetcar line on Camp Bowie was basically a light rail line, but without station platforms.

If you're willing to remove the inner lane of traffic in each direction (perhaps widen the road a few feet to keep two lanes in each direction), you could have a full-blown light rail line with station platforms.

-Dylan

#189 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:59 PM

Thank you for the amazing photo comparisons, Phil.

-Dylan

#190 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:00 PM

My grandfather had a Lincoln Mercury dealership on Henderson in the 1940's and 1950's.  It was called Nicholson-Jones Motorcars and was caddy corner to the Masonic Temple.  I found some pictures of my grandparents, mother, and aunts with Ed Sullivan.  Lincoln Mercury sponsored his TV show back then and he frequently visited dealerships as part of that arrangement.  In the pictures you can see the Masonic Temple through the window in the background.  I tried to recreate that view this morning:

Early 1950's

OqR6pxA.jpg

HU9v4Nz.jpg

uo5Iplh.jpg

o06fqxo.jpg

The quite ugly building that is on the site of Nicholson-Jones now:

aYkwLcH.jpg

#191 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 01 May 2023 - 05:04 PM

Thats a great connection to Fort Worth history, ramjet! Thanks for sharing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users